• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kenai

Too many unknowns for me (and everyone else really) to say how heavy/light the content patch will be. Airship stuff could easily be on par with something like Desynthesis, which was a pretty big deal when it came out. Hopefully the Live Letter Pt. 2 gives us a bit more context in the new stuff (talk about AST buffs plz, I like what I heard but I need moar info, wanna be a Noct stance god)

The one thing that will disappoint me for sure is if Hildebrand doesn't make 3.1. Was really looking forward to it.

Alrus

Too many unknowns for me (and everyone else really) to say how heavy/light the content patch will be. Airship stuff could easily be on par with something like Desynthesis, which was a pretty big deal when it came out. Hopefully the Live Letter Pt. 2 gives us a bit more context in the new stuff (talk about AST buffs plz, I like what I heard but I need moar info, wanna be a Noct stance god)

The one thing that will disappoint me for sure is if Hildebrand doesn't make 3.1. Was really looking forward to it.

Isn't the AST buff coming this tuesday?

IvorB

Well I would prefer more than two dungeons but if they say they want to focus on trying new stuff then that's fair enough. I hope the new stuff is good.

Xux

Does anybody know what things are going to be in 3.07 or 3.1? I keep seeing the new dungeons mentioned but those can't be this tuesday can they?
Class adjustments, favor adjustments, and the TP bar should be 3.07. Everything else in the video is 3.1, I believe.

Class adjustments, favor adjustments, and the TP bar should be 3.07. Everything else in the video is 3.1, I believe.

I hope whatever those adjustments are to classes the contain more than just the AST, MNK, tank enmity buffs.

And I'm still of the firm opinion that red scrips need another buff for both gatherers and crafters. I like the system right now its just way too grindy for my tastes.

I also now feel a dumb cause I could've been getting 2 red scrip items per node if I had just did DE > M-Appraisal all along instead of trying for 3. It made capping out take way longer then it should've.

aceface

In the 3 or so hours I've tried this I have yet to see even one IA proc....

The RNG struggle is real right now. Fortuneately I have all 3 gatherers lvld so I got other red scrip items to back me up.

There's another rotation I use...you can't get 4 but it's a better chance to get 3.

IA>IA>UC>SM>IA>UC>SM if you got one of the impulsives to proc, if not DE>MA

For this rotation you only need one out of the three impulsives to proc at any time to get 3. It seems like I get 3 more often than not.

Qvoth

just hoping s-e is not dumb enough to give i190s on void ark
they must drop 200s or the whole thing is a waste of resources, like bismarck ex
why didn't they make bism ex drop accessories like shiva or ramuh? jesus

http://lalafell.xxxblog.jp/archives/46010972.html
Q. We already have Cloud's gear, can't we have his bike as a mount?
A. Actually it already exists... but because it's a ground mount it's really, really slow. (Approx. 15km/h). Speeding it up would mean we'd have to increase the speed of all ground mounts, or maybe make it a flying bike. We couldn't solve the logical paradox so we stopped development on it. But it's a common request so it'll see the light of day some how or other.
fMBMUyZ.gif

Kenai

Isn't the AST buff coming this tuesday?

Quite possibly. I am 99% sure it will be before 3.1 since they said it's not tied to the new content patch but they didn't exactly give a firm release date either. I'd be just fine with Tuesday though. The sooner it gets here the sooner we can see if it needs anything else, or if there's more to it than they mentioned so far (card buff duration increase is great for example, but won't help Noct stance viability much)

Well I would prefer more than two dungeons but if they say they want to focus on trying new stuff then that's fair enough. I hope the new stuff is good.

Yea i am gonna be totally ok with people complaining if the new content doesn't justify cutting out a third dungeon, or if they don't properly roll the current dungeons in for some variety or whatever. I don't want to praise it yet or anything either. But some of the most time consuming stuff in the game (like Desynthesis, script gathering, even big fishing) were heavily understated until after release.

Granted, I am hoping stuff aimed at more people will be slightly more enjoyable to get into.

In regards to adjustments to astrologian

We'll focus on adjusting the power of astrologian healing.
Additionally, we're making adjustments to the duration of party-supporting actions. You should be able to feel the power boosts more clearly, so please look forward to it.
-Bayohne

Kenai

Yep, i remember.

So vague, The card effect duration at least is obvious, but the rest? Direct potency increases? Passive potency on the stances? Additional effects on the stances/spells like Aspected effects?

One of my personal wishes is all but confirmed (cardbuff base duration increase) but I'd really like to see Collective reworked, Celestial Opposition looked at (especially the cd on it), Disable looked at (I love the effect but landing it correctly can be incredibly difficult if the boss big ability has no cast bar) and Spear being more effective when things like mumble aren't available. They may do something completely different from all this and find something I love that i didn't consider too, I have no idea.

And that's not even going into how Noct stance has no hope whatsoever of being a suitable duo with a WHM vs WHM/SCH for raids as previously advertised. And I don't see how they can fix it with what they announced, not even close, SCH is very much considered mandatory right now and while I want AST to get the recognition it deserves, that lack of balance remains a real problem. I don't want WHM to get snubbed like AST is right now either, which basically means Noct stance (which is worse than Diurnal in almost every way regarding current class functionality) is somehow going to have to get megabuffed, or the status quo won't change much.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Been running Bismarck Ex via Party Finder parties the last two days, no victory in sight, DPS checks are at max struggle and if we get over that then the tanks seem to be having trouble on rotating the snakes and barring that someone will get tripped up on the weather.

Kenai

Been running Bismarck Ex via Party Finder parties the last two days, no victory in sight, DPS checks are at max struggle and if we get over that then the tanks seem to be having trouble on rotating the snakes and barring that someone will get tripped up on the weather.

Write down the names of people you PT with who are pulling their weight (or beyond) and static that stuff up whenever you can. The DPS check is definitely the hardest part, but a bad tank swap is almost as bad. If you can get past those two hurdles it really isn't that bad, my clear group messed up here and there but we still had two full DPS phases before enrage when we KO'd him first time, no Eso or Hive stuff, barely any Alex normal stuff. NIN MCH BLM SMN DRK PLD AST SCH

Moonlight

Banned
A little late to the party, I guess, but I just got into the game, and really enjoying myself so far! I messed around with a couple different characters - a Hyur Arcanist, a Lalafel Conjurer - and settled on an Au Ra Thaumaturgist. Actually still kinda stuck between Arcanist and Thamaturgist, but from what I understand the game doesn't lock you into anything. This is my first MMO (well, my first 'real' one) so a bunch of stuff is kinda new to me, and even the mundane stuff (like the side-quests) is kinda nice to zone out to.

Oh, and the music is absolutely amazing.

Only thing I'm not really sure on is the order I should be doing things. Should I be blitzing the main scenario, and save the multiplayer components till afterwards or mix everything up? I'm not terribly confident at the thought of being in a team at the moment, haha.

Apoptomon

Only thing I'm not really sure on is the order I should be doing things. Should I be blitzing the main scenario, and save the multiplayer components till afterwards or mix everything up? I'm not terribly confident at the thought of being in a team at the moment, haha.

Several components of the game (group content, mounts, airship travel) are locked behind main scenario progress, so it's wise to keep up with the main story quests. That said, there's nothing wrong with doing other content as well (You may want to save some sidequests for other classes you pick up later). You'll have to do four-person (and eventually eight-person) dungeons and boss fights as part of the story (the first is at level 15), but they're fairly simple affairs to start with.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Write down the names of people you PT with who are pulling their weight (or beyond) and static that stuff up whenever you can. The DPS check is definitely the hardest part, but a bad tank swap is almost as bad. If you can get past those two hurdles it really isn't that bad, my clear group messed up here and there but we still had two full DPS phases before enrage when we KO'd him first time, no Eso or Hive stuff, barely any Alex normal stuff. NIN MCH BLM SMN DRK PLD AST SCH
That was the plan, I did pick up a few people but they aren't on consistently. Growing pains, I just wish I could try it in DF too.

Ken

A little late to the party, I guess, but I just got into the game, and really enjoying myself so far! I messed around with a couple different characters - a Hyur Arcanist, a Lalafel Conjurer - and settled on an Au Ra Thaumaturgist. Actually still kinda stuck between Arcanist and Thamaturgist, but from what I understand the game doesn't lock you into anything. This is my first MMO (well, my first 'real' one) so a bunch of stuff is kinda new to me, and even the mundane stuff (like the side-quests) is kinda nice to zone out to.

Yeah what's special about the armoury system is that one character can be all jobs.

If you follow the main story it'll throw you into the dungeons and stuff so doing that is a nice way to get a sample of everything I guess.

Kenai

That was the plan, I did pick up a few people but they aren't on consistently. Growing pains, I just wish I could try it in DF too.

Yea one thing i missed about WoW vs this game is that the pug community seems less consistent, especially regarding cross realm options. So many things are alleviated by a good static it's pretty insane, makes the most impossible DF fights seem tame.

I wish there was a bit more middle ground for people not fortunate enough for regulars, but I am not sure what can be done about it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Most stuff is unlocked via main scenario so focus on that. Eventually it'll have you group with other people for dungeons and stuff.

Here's a guide that should give you an idea of the order you should be tackling stuff: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Omni

Is there any point in getting a relic weapon?

I had a look at a quick guide and the process to upgrade them or whatever seems so long and drawn out. o.0

Omni

Na, just wait for the new ones unless you really like the look of one of the old ones.

Well... I kinda like how they glow. Does that only happen when you've completed the final upgrade to Zeta? If that doesn't take too long I'll just use it for glamour (if that's possible)

just hoping s-e is not dumb enough to give i190s on void ark
they must drop 200s or the whole thing is a waste of resources, like bismarck ex
why didn't they make bism ex drop accessories like shiva or ramuh? jesus

it will be 190 with some minions, cards, other glamour if the main set is trash again. community is the happiness.

Well... I kinda like how they glow. Does that only happen when you've completed the final upgrade to Zeta? If that doesn't take too long I'll just use it for glamour (if that's possible)

try it and see how far you can get. the weapon will change looks all the time. maybe you'll like a middle level and stop somewhere. i see people going for relic in duty finder all the time, which was kinda surprising at first.

Omni

Out of the last five dungeons I've completed, pandas have dropped in two and a gaelkitten in another. Rolled like 30s every single time and missed out... grrr

I'm really liking Sohm Al though. Love the armour designs

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Does anyone got a good gathering rotation for red scrip items? So far I've been doing:

discerning eye > methodical appraisal > discerning eye > methodical appraisal > utmost caution > methodical appraisal > utmost caution > methodical appraisal > collect.

I feel like this might be a touch inefficient. I have 560 gathering and 561 perception if that helps. My right side is also full trailblazers with an HQ Dragonskin gathering belt, and I have an HQ main hand/off hand as well with 600GP with food.

Edit:

Depends on your goals. Its best to set up at least a few before you start, but the easiest by far for me was cooking. It has important abilities you need for all crafts and its fairly cheap to do depending on your server. It's complimented well by Botany and Fishing. Plus its nice to be able to make your own food, especially when so few people even both to use food or potions in the DF.

Discerning > Impulsive > [Discerning if no proc, Single Mind if proc] > Impulsive > [Discerning if no proc, Single Mind if proc] > Methodical

Squishy3

Scy and I are ready for our endless runs of the Void Ark for our pieces that will never drop.
I can believe it. I ran World of Darkness probably over a hundred times leading up to Heavensward and never saw a single piece of Dragoon gear drop. Like, I can understand not getting the whole set in that many runs, but not even seeing a single piece drop? Screw that. It's kind of terrible when it comes down to it never even dropping and isn't even a matter of not winning the roll on it.

Maybe it'll have a token system too. With the amount of classes in the game now and how fickle RNG drops can apparently be (IE when running EX roulette I only EVER see Dragoon and tank gear drop and the occasional ninja piece) I wouldn't be surprised.

dcye

The extra classes won't change the loot table for Void Ark at all, the new classes all share gear with current ones so no new loot will be added at all.

Here's a guide that should give you an idea of the order you should be tackling stuff: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

I'm 53 on my dark knight, and it's crazy how much stuff you miss just running MSQ and dungeons. I mean, a ton of this is locked behind side quests which people tell you to save for leveling other jobs.

I'm not just talking emotes and dyes. I'm missing gold saucer, desynthesis, chocobo companion leveling(!!!), and retainer ventures(!!!), among others. I need to go back and clean those side quests up.

How would you even one without a guide?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm 53 on my dark knight, and it's crazy how much stuff you miss just running MSQ and dungeons. I mean, a ton of this is locked behind side quests which people tell you to save for leveling other jobs.

I'm not just talking emotes and dyes. I'm missing gold saucer, desynthesis, chocobo companion leveling(!!!), and retainer ventures(!!!), among others. I need to go back and clean those side quests up.

How would you even one without a guide?

Insane. So much stuff that isn't apparent without something like this.
Yeah it's nuts, I didn't know about the challenge log (tons of free xp every week) until lv 40 when someone randomly mentioned it in fc chat.

thefil

Can you friend people across servers? I thought DF was cross-server.

What level are you? I pretty much started as well, roughly 2 weeks ago. I can run some duties and what not with you on my lower level classes, if you're up for it. I've been looking for GAFers to play with.

Top Bottom