• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Time to go double SCH.
Two SCHs has never not been gross. Whenever I'm in a party with another SCH and I'm one I instantly want to leave.

An AST that doesn't ever DPS is still pretty useless though. Not enough healing potency buffs in the world to fix that.

A AST being judged by their dps output rather than their ability to keep their team alive and buff correctly should find a better judge.

Kenai

An AST that doesn't ever DPS is still pretty useless though. Not enough healing potency buffs in the world to fix that.

There can be the argument made that AST is pretty much always boosting the raid's DPS. Balance/Arrow/Spear should pop up a fair amount and tose aren't small increases at all.

I still help DPS directly when I can (I always get a DoT rotation up at the start on an encounter), but outside very specific scenarios I just let the SCH/WHM go nuts instead in a raid environment.. Even if Maleific 2 and Gravity have really good potency, it's not realistic to expect good numbers from them with the Acc problems or Gravity's prohibitive MP cost in an actual raid. AST still has pretty bad mp regen if they don't get Ewers (and we can't count on that every attempt).

Love Gravity in 4 mans and on trash though!

There can be the argument made that AST is pretty much always boosting the raid's DPS. Balance/Arrow/Spear should pop up a fair amount and tose aren't small increases at all.

I still help DPS directly when I can (I always get a DoT rotation up at the start on an encounter), but outside very specific scenarios I just let the SCH/WHM go nuts instead in a raid environment.. Even if Maleific 2 and Gravity have really good potency, it's not realistic to expect good numbers from them with the Acc problems or Gravity's prohibitive MP cost in an actual raid. AST still has pretty bad mp regen if they don't get Ewers (and we can't count on that every attempt).

Love Gravity in 4 mans and on trash though!
That sadness I feel when I'm helping dps during Bis. EX and Maleific 2 keeps missing.

Soma

Ever since I replaced my catboy retainer's head gear from Amon's Hat to the Law headgear (since he's level 60 now) he's just been giving me worthless seafood instead of rare dyes and cool stuff.

I think he's trying to tell me something.

Wagram

I knew Monk would get a buff sooner or later because someone on that dev team has a gigantic boner for that class. Been that way since 1.0.

I knew Monk would get a buff sooner or later because someone on that dev team has a gigantic boner for that class. Been that way since 1.0.

and that's a good thing. it was always my fav. right after war! they have to do something. monks have never been popular with the casuls.

Why is MNK so unpopular? It's been my primary class the whole way through and it doesn't seem particularly complicated.
When I was looking for a dps class to start leveling I strongly considered Monk. But the stuff about stances and positionals scared me off from it.

Yet on the same token I very much enjoy playing SMN. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Two SCH work better than two ASTs. You set up some kind of enhanced time-dilated Balance and then the other guy overwrites it all with AOE Spear. Thanks bro. Real credit to team.

And Gravity would've been great if it was available at 50. Like, SERIOUSLY.

Kenai

So Synastry is bugged right now and doing an extra 40% healing on my bond target regardless of who I heal. I was bombing the tank and getting a followup heal ~0.5 seconds later on the same tank

Never seen the tank's hp spike back up so fast outside Benediction lol.. Will be sad when it's gone, no way it sticks past the next hotfix/patch, it goes directly against the tooltip functionality. Still, makes my target pretty damn unkillable for that 20 seconds or so.

AST feels really good now. I'd still like the Spear to be dynamic, would like the CD lowered on Collective for more phase transition fun, and would like to chip away at SCH mandatory status with some specific Noct stance buffs *instead of* SCH nerfs, but damn. Not bad SE.

Omnicent

So Synastry is bugged right now and doing an extra 40% healing on my bond target regardless of who I heal. I was bombing the tank and getting a followup heal ~0.5 seconds later on the same tank

Never seen the tank's hp spike back up so fast outside Benediction lol.. Will be sad when it's gone, no way it sticks past the next hotfix/patch, it goes directly against the tooltip functionality. Still, makes my target pretty damn unkillable for that 20 seconds or so.

AST feels really good now. I'd still like the Spear to be dynamic, would like the CD lowered on Collective for more phase transition fun, and would like to chip away at SCH mandatory status with some specific Noct stance buffs *instead of* SCH nerfs, but damn. Not bad SE.

Are you sure its bugged. There are reports saying that the tool-tip in German and french specify the new behaviour. It means the the english tool-tip is wrong. We just need someone to get what it says in japanese for the final confirmation. (which would not be the first time the English tool-tips were left out of date).

Welp check out Frumix's post below. Synastry is now the GOD button.

Two SCH work better than two ASTs. You set up some kind of enhanced time-dilated Balance and then the other guy overwrites it all with AOE Spear. Thanks bro. Real credit to team.

And Gravity would've been great if it was available at 50. Like, SERIOUSLY.
Whenever I run a level 50 dungeon it disappoints me so bad when I realize I can't Gravity spam.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

It's not bugged. This is how it's supposed to work according to the JP patch notes.

Kenai

It's not bugged. This is how it's supposed to work according to the JP patch notes.

Seriously? So the English tooltip's just messed up?

...:Q

So happy right now lol. Real talk: Synastry is effing amazing and I hope it doesn't get nerfed.

in other news, I'm starting to think people complaining about S.E.s English translation department may have a leg to stand on. That's a big translation error.

Alrus

That's a fairly insane healing potency buff then, wonder why they failed to mention it in english.

Time to get my AST to 60 and try all of these out.

Kenai

That's a fairly insane healing potency buff then, wonder why they failed to mention it in english.

Time to get my AST to 60 and try all of these out.

It's Beacon of Light from WoW Holy Pally on steroids. i can't believe how good it is, or how badly worded the tooltp for it is.It would be like if there was a tooltip stating that Eos/Selene are supposed to have an MP bar.

Granted, it STILL won't budge SCH out of it's raid spot (all of these card buffs/cds have perfect overlap with SCH stuff, and Noct shields aren't good enough yet), but I don't feel even a little bit inadequate healing in Diurnal anymore.

WolvenOne

PLD is only kind of excluded from S A1, A3 and A4 because of raw dps checks for a bit. Will get better as people gear up... :V

My static went PLD/War in Alexander Savage week one, and got AS1 down at the beginning of week two. I'm pretty certain that the DRK/WAR Combo was overstated even in week one.

iammeiam

You can have hundreds of DPS variance between tanks of the same job in the same fight; I always thought the job preference was more about mitigation options. I know we tend to come in on the lower side for combined tank DPS despite DRK/WAR but make it up elsewhere in the group.

This week means everyone can have the i200 weapon, chest, and legs if they want. All of the DPS checks are more lenient now than they were, although that mostly just means 1/2 are fairly forgiving and 3 is probably (hopefully?) manageable. 4 will remain Lololol.

WolvenOne

You can have hundreds of DPS variance between tanks of the same job in the same fight; I always thought the job preference was more about mitigation options. I know we tend to come in on the lower side for combined tank DPS despite DRK/WAR but make it up elsewhere in the group.

This week means everyone can have the i200 weapon, chest, and legs if they want. All of the DPS checks are more lenient now than they were, although that mostly just means 1/2 are fairly forgiving and 3 is probably (hopefully?) manageable. 4 will remain Lololol.

Actually I'm gonna spend my Esoterics on Boots and Belt. I'll be able to upgrade the belt next week by trading in my Gordian Pages. Did the math, and that's a much better upgrade for me than buying the Parry Accuracy pants. :p

In entirely unrelated news.

Machinist Headpiece Visor Animation

Dang, shame only Machinists can equip those. XD

scy

PLD having Sheltron is this like really weird spot for them? It's really good but it's also too good so they can't really afford to have a physical tank buster again. Maybe make the Parry options on DRK/WAR similar to compare but eh? Sheltron just skews things a fair amount.

My static went PLD/War in Alexander Savage week one, and got AS1 down at the beginning of week two. I'm pretty certain that the DRK/WAR Combo was overstated even in week one.

For A1S, sure, it's not that tight of a DPS check assuming DPS can ... well, DPS. A3S is a bit tighter, though. Then again, we're reaching that point on A3S gearing wise too where DPS check of the adds and overall fight aren't insurmountable anymore without insane tank/healer numbers. They'll still help but you really have to question your DPS at that point.

I hope you guys get the two jump A1S ;-;

Alrus

A3S has been cleared with PLD/WAR not that long after Eso Weapon week afaik. I know it doesn't mean much (some groups also cleared A3S with an AST), and it's probably slightly easier with a DRK instead, but the overreaction regarding PLDs are bit much.

Granted, it STILL won't budge SCH out of it's raid spot (all of these card buffs/cds have perfect overlap with SCH stuff, and Noct shields aren't good enough yet), but I don't feel even a little bit inadequate healing in Diurnal anymore.

Haven't really tried it yet but reddit seems to think Noct shields are actually better than SCH ones now excluding an Adlo crit (pretty big thing I know lol). So going Noct stance might not be that bad in certain situation. I also like the fact that Collective's regen is now tied to a 15 sec buff so once your party gets it, you don't need to channel for them to get a beneficial effect, makes it slightly more usable (altho it's still meh in most situations); unless that was already the case.

I still feel Celestial Opposition is kind of bad but maybe I don't understand how that skill works. Does it increases duration on every single buffs on just the ones the AST gave?

aceface

Got the Before the Fall OST today. Soooo good. I somehow forgot that the second and third coil music would be on here. These T9 flashbacks :eek:

Jayhawk

I wonder what kind of numbers I would be able to pull off in A2S as Monk if I had an external TP battery to increase the amount of Rockbreakers. 1800+ probably now. RIP TP battery driving the Gobwalker.

iammeiam

I hope you guys get the two jump A1S ;-;

The dream. I don't know if any of us will have our Eso purchases for the week tonight, but I'm still pitching it based on how close we were last week (like... We just needed to push the Lb button before they jumped to kill one? I'm assuming the other one doesn't jump and goes into Self Destruct cast so) next week, tho, two jumps or GTFO.

In reality we'll just wipe for an hour then clear on a run where somebody DCs for half the fight. Then get our fourth consecutive caster ring.

scy

A3S has been cleared with PLD/WAR not that long after Eso Weapon week afaik. I know it doesn't mean much (some groups also cleared A3S with an AST), and it's probably slightly easier with a DRK instead, but the overreaction regarding PLDs are bit much.

Ultimately it comes down to that for how tanking works in this game, they're all roughly equivalent when it comes to raw survivability where it matters. So then it becomes a game of how much of that you can trim away to gain damage and PLD is playing catch-up. Bonus survivability doesn't really account for much.

The dream. I don't know if any of us will have our Eso purchases for the week tonight, but I'm still pitching it based on how close we were last week (like... We just needed to push the Lb button before they jumped to kill one? I'm assuming the other one doesn't jump and goes into Self Destruct cast so) next week, tho, two jumps or GTFO.

In reality we'll just wipe for an hour then clear on a run where somebody DCs for half the fight. Then get our fourth consecutive caster ring.

I eagerly await the post-lockout A1S clear video of no jumps to come up at some point.

also, smuggle me in so I can steal a ring

Kenai

Haven't really tried it yet but reddit seems to think Noct shields are actually better than SCH ones now excluding an Adlo crit (pretty big thing I know lol). So going Noct stance might not be that bad in certain situation. I also like the fact that Collective's regen is now tied to a 15 sec buff so once your party gets it, you don't need to channel for them to get a beneficial effect, makes it slightly more usable (altho it's still meh in most situations); unless that was already the case.

I still feel Celestial Opposition is kind of bad but maybe I don't understand how that skill works. Does it increases duration on every single buffs on just the ones the AST gave?

I am more thinking of Deployment Tactics. it's just too good on an Adlo crit (which isn't super rare since SCHs stack crit). It just...ignores mechanics when that occurs. And it stacks with Divine Veil? That and Sarced Soil every 30 seconds. It's a ton of mitigation. AST could theoretically do similar with AoE Bole + Disable + Collective but not near as often or as reliably. AST probably shouldn't be able to do it as well as often, but i don't think it's even comparable right now. It should be at least somewhat comparable, OR AST should do a few things better than matter (that Diurnal Stance does not do).

And the reason they are so hesitant to buff Celestial Opposition is exactly what you said. it increases the duration of every buff we have on everyone. Every card effect and every regen effect on the entire party, plus Synastry, Luminiferous and Lightspeed duration are all affected. I think blowing all of those at the same time would definitely be overkill versus spreading them out, but yea...I wouldn't mind it being just a tiny bit lower to make better use of the stun, but can understand why they haven't lowered it that much. 90 secs would be perfect imo, but 2 isn't really bad.

Bard never gets buffs, only nerfs :(

At least Bard has actually seen buffs before. XD

Ninja has literally never had a buff in the history of the class. First the poison nerf, then the TP nerf, then the positional nerf. And they're now the only class that still has a positional that screws you out of the effect if you miss it (Trick Attack) and still have the mudra lag BS.

I don't think some QoL would be out of order. I don't think they need straight up power buffs or anything but damn, at least fix the TP problem and look into the fact that without a WAR their rotation is mad janky due to Dancing Edge upkeep.

Wilsongt

What's the reasoning for not making Monk's PvE greased lightning last as long as PvP greased lightning?

That's an argument I hear a lot. As well as a lot of the mobs work against Monk because they have a lot of jumping/invulnerability mechanics that cause monks to lose their GL stacks and then a large amount of their DPS.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At least Bard has actually seen buffs before. XD

Ninja has literally never had a buff in the history of the class. First the poison nerf, then the TP nerf, then the positional nerf. And they're now the only class that still has a positional that screws you out of the effect if you miss it (Trick Attack) and still have the mudra lag BS.

I don't think some QoL would be out of order. I don't think they need straight up power buffs or anything but damn, at least fix the TP problem and look into the fact that without a WAR their rotation is mad janky due to Dancing Edge upkeep.

RIP Rain of Death
RIP Internal Release
RIP Blood for Blood
RIP Auto Attacks

scy

"RIP Auto Attacks" makes it seem like Minuet isn't still a general upgrade though. They're in a pretty good spot right now for where their overall damage is (and not even in a "good enough" capacity, for awhile the top A1S DPS I even knew of was BRD; any fight SMN is good at BRD is good at currently). The buff change was more general than just Bard wasn't it? I mean, it probably sucked but like ... others got hit too.

Current Rain of Death has offensive uses (can reach Frontal Accuracy cap when needed for short durations, Healer DPS thrives on it) too so ... idk? It's also now a supremely better off AoE thing than before.

A1 is this wonderful encounter that, the faster you kill it, the faster you kill it.
It's beautiful.

It's really fun like that. Everything about A1S is basically a "go ahead and try hard" thing? Faust is fun to see how fast it can be killed, it's nice to see how low you can split for the Oppressor, and it's nice to flat out remove a phase from the fight. It's like ... the ideal setup for trying to work on speed clears. It's really cool to me.

Tabris

For A1S, sure, it's not that tight of a DPS check assuming DPS can ... well, DPS. A3S is a bit tighter, though. Then again, we're reaching that point on A3S gearing wise too where DPS check of the adds and overall fight aren't insurmountable anymore without insane tank/healer numbers. They'll still help but you really have to question your DPS at that point.

We're making the hand equalize DPS check on A3S with PLD / WAR combo, but overall DRK + WAR is the better choice right now.

What's the reasoning for not making Monk's PvE greased lightning last as long as PvP greased lightning?

That's an argument I hear a lot. As well as a lot of the mobs work against Monk because they have a lot of jumping/invulnerability mechanics that cause monks to lose their GL stacks and then a large amount of their DPS.

Because then there would be 0 challenge to playing MNK effectively. The tight windows to keep GL3 up is what differentiates a good MNK from a bad MNK.

Top Bottom