• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
DRKs LB3 threw me off when someone used it accidently. Screen goes black and all of the characters get a weird red-black effect that goes over them. I didn't know what was going on.

MCH is also pretty disappointing. I finally got to see it during a A1 run and didn't even realize it happened.

AST's LB3 is pretty damn awesome though. The giant cards floating around and up, the various constellations you can see follow by the bright flash of light and suddenly everyone is up. The AST floating the entire time is a nice effect too.

Is Darkside hard to maintain? Besides keeping Blood Price and Carve and Spit on cooldown, is it harder than, say, maintaining Storm's Path?

Not in particular. The challenge comes from maximizing Dark Arts to boost other abilities, since it's a massive mana hog. Darkside itself is super easy to keep up with your combos since two of them use Syphon Strike. Blood Price and Carve and Spit allow you to go wild on trash AOE weight concern for mana.

Darkside is a must so the goal is 100% up time.

Kenai

Looked up SCH LB3 and yup, ASTs easily has the best looking LB3 of the healers.

It's by far my favorite LB3. People can say what they want about AST's class balance til now, but their spell effects have been top notch from Day 1.

Floating around while constellations hang in the air and cards/planets swirl around. Reminded me of a reenactment of that certain scene from FF7.

Tabris

Meteor is boring when you got a SMN doing Teraflare.

I dunno why we do Meteor only. Asami, why are you always the one doing LB3? Something about DPS rotations?

Sorry, watered down Teraflare does nothing for me. I don't have the same hard on for bahamut that everyone else seems to have though.

T13 Bahamut was the best visual design for a boss in this game so far. What is better to you?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Meanwhile, on Chocobo...
ziVjuQZ.jpg

The PF says "Alex Savage 4 from the start". I mean, it probably won't fill but...

I'll try using Warrior LB3 next time I kill Baha....OH WAIT!

Well, maybe next time I try Ultima Hard Mo.... oh...

Uhhhhhhh..... Hmm...

You won't get enough LB meter in Ultima HM at current gear.

Sorian

Banned
I dunno why we do Meteor only. Asami, why are you always the one doing LB3? Something about DPS rotations?

They're always timed so that I do them in between enochians so the DPS loss is minimal. There's really no difference other than I never got to do them when we were running coil and I wanted to now.

T13 Bahamut was the best visual design for a boss in this game so far. What is better to you?

Singularity Reactor won that already if we are just talking about pure visuals.

Tabris

Singularity Reactor won that already if we are just talking about pure visuals.

Well that fight is invalidated due to the fact there is 0 reason to run it.

But even if it wasn't, it still isn't as good as T13 Bahamut, especially when you factor in the music and arena changes for that amazing build up.

EDIT - Honestly, if it wasn't for the amazing music (you would hear me hum it sometimes on mumble) and visuals, I may have gone crazy during progression on T13.

Sorian

Banned
XIV Bahamut has a great design. His story is interesting as well.

Bahamut's story isn't interesting. Louisoix's is. Bahamut was just really strong primal gets locked up by allagan forces, go kill it before it breaks out again. The actual non-primal Bahamut's story is more interesting but that has fuck-all to do with T13 and coil.

Well that fight is invalidated due to the fact there is 0 reason to run it.

But even if it wasn't, it still isn't as good as T13 Bahamut, especially when you factor in the music and arena changes for that amazing build up.

There is even less reason to run T13? So get the fuck out with that logic.

SR has good music and a better arena change IMO. Don't know what to tell you.

Tabris

But there was reason to run T13 when that content was fresh.

Singular Reactor was one and done content.

Sorian

Banned
But there was reason to run T13 when that content was fresh.

Singular Reactor was one and done content.

And the SR HM(EX probably) that is coming? Length of content doesn't matter in this argument anyway. Being forced to look at visuals more often does not make them better. I'm sure I'll stare at jiggly ass in A3S for awhile too, it doesn't make it better.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bahamut's story isn't interesting. Louisoix's is. Bahamut was just really strong primal gets locked up by allagan forces, go kill it before it breaks out again. The actual non-primal Bahamut's story is more interesting but that has fuck-all to do with T13 and coil.

Their stories are definitely connected. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bahamut_(Final_Fantasy_XIV)

Xux

Alexander's totally gonna get interesting in the next floors, you guys!

Floor 6, Thigh of the Father, is gonna have the revelation that the goblins are using Allagan genetic experimentation procedures to make bugbears.

Floor 7, Prostate of the Father, has you find out the Blue Illuminati Hands leader is a super bugbear that's looking out a telescope or some shit and then Alexander's all, like, "TRANSMISSION RECEIVED: COMPLETED" and the leader forceably ejects you from the arena.

Floor 8, Visage of the Mother, opens with you on a giant Allagan mech in space floating towards Hydaelyn and you have to fight the defenses and goblins to try and open a way inside.

Sorian

Banned

Whose stories? Louisoix and Bahamut or Real Bahamut and Fake Bahamut?

If the first, sure they are connected because Bahamut is meant to be Louisoix's foil to make him interesting. Bahamut himself is still boring there.

If the second, not at all. Fake Bahamut was a failed summoning just like any other primal that gets summoned. It's nothing like the real thing.

Tabris

I just watched the Singularity Reactor video.

The music is the same throughout the fight. Where's this build up that you're talking about Asami?

EDIT - It has 1 arena change but the background of the arena does change during the summon part to the world / space.

Tabris

And the SR HM(EX probably) that is coming? Length of content doesn't matter in this argument anyway. Being forced to look at visuals more often does not make them better. I'm sure I'll stare at jiggly ass in A3S for awhile too, it doesn't make it better.

It doesn't make it better but it matters more how good or bad a fight is visually designed when you have to spend more time in the content.

So honestly, it doesn't matter as much how good Singularity Reactor looks like except as a last hurrah for the Heavenward story, yet it's very important how good T13, A3S, and A4S look as players spend a lot of time in those.

And A3S is definitely disappointing in this regard. T13 was not.

Sorian

Banned
I just watched the Singularity Reactor video.

The music is the same throughout the fight. Where's this build up that you're talking about Asami?

EDIT - It has 1 arena change but the background of the arena does change during the summon part to the world / space.

I never said there was music build-up (there is though but that's just natural progression of one song, no music change) and the arena change I said was what you just edited in. Again though, discussion on visual design and music came up somehow. Music does not lend to visual design.

It doesn't make it better but it matters more how good or bad a fight is visually designed when you have to spend more time in the content.

So honestly, it doesn't matter as much how good Singularity Reactor looks like except as a last hurrah for the Heavenward story, yet it's very important how good T13, A3S, and A4S look as players spend a lot of time in those.

And A3S is definitely disappointing in this regard. T13 was not.

More players will experience Singularity Reactor than they will T13, A3, and A4 combined.

Chille

I never said there was music build-up (there is though but that's just natural progression of one song, no music change) and the arena change I said was what you just edited in. Again though, discussion on visual design and music came up somehow. Music does not lend to visual design.

More players will experience Singularity Reactor than they will T13, A3, and A4 combined.

Hehe don't think I will ever experience T13

Sorian

Banned
Pretty sure game time wise, nope. Even if under 10%, the difference in game time is 15-30 minutes per player vs 15+hrs per player.

Game time wise doesn't matter. T13 reached such a miniscule portion of the player base that it's not even a blip on the radar. And for the vast majority, A3 and A4 will be just be experience once or twice in normal mode, exactly the same as Singularity Reactor. The difference there is that SR is the final boss of the expansion and A3 and A4 is just some side story that your average player doesn't care about. You assume most people are like you and me when they aren't, they don't give two shits about raids, they are here for the final fantasy story and some light MMO bits. Singularity got way more love and attention to visuals than T13 did because it was going to reach the most people and it shows.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Singularity visuals aren't THAT impressive. All of the enemy moves are reused so it was just a lot of flirting with the skybox.

Sorian

Banned
Singularity visuals aren't THAT impressive. All of the enemy moves are reused so it was just a lot of flirting with the skybox.

Pretty much all of FFXIV is an exercise in reusing and recoloring moves. Both T13 and SR do a great job of masking this fact but it's there in both. Multiple times.

Pretty much all of FFXIV is an exercise in reusing and recoloring moves. Both T13 and SR do a great job of masking this fact but it's there in both. Multiple times.
So true, I almost laughed when I first did Sohm Al and the first boss was the same boss from Coil T6.

Tabris

Where is the reuse in T13? What don't you like about T13 anyways? And what do you like of A3 and A4 over it as you've said you prefer those over Coil before.

Sorian

Banned
Where is the reuse in T13? What don't you like about T13 anyways? And what do you like of A3 and A4 over it as you've said you prefer those over Coil before.

The zoo phase drags down the T13 experience a lot if we are going to talk about visuals. It's required to be there because the fight needed to be hard and padded for time and you couldn't be interacting with just Bahamut for all of that time. What's re-used? I'll go for the obvious just off the top of my head, how many times have we seen divebombs now?

I don't like A3 or A4 as fights or as visuals and I never said I prefer those in particular over anything in coil. I've said I like the theme of Alexander overall more than the theme of coil and I've said that saying coil is better than alexander means absolutely nothing considering you have only the first third of the story, fights, etc. from alex and the full coil story. Want to just compare A1-A4 to T1-T5? They are all shit from a visual standpoint and all of the fights felt boring. The only spectacle out of any of them was fighting on Bahamut's hand in T5 but that didn't even have anything to do with the actual fight. You saw it at the start and that's it, no real surprise or use for it afterwards.

Valor

A3S is basically a watery Titan fight! If you don't like Titan in all of his majestic man-diaper forms then I don't know why you are still playing this game. It's the best.

gryvan

A3S is basically a watery Titan fight! If you don't like Titan in all of his majestic man-diaper forms then I don't know why you are still playing this game. It's the best.

Another titan infatuated BRD

What have you done to them Titan-senpai

rubius01

Dammit Galen! Now I have a mind-worm wondering why Titan has to wear a diaper.....

Tiops

I used SMN LB3 once, on A1N. It was cool, killed both Opressors. DRG cried that people asked for caster LB and he couldn't use his awesome blue dragon thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well, there are a few ways to go about that.

1: Take up raiding and start getting occasional 210 drops outside your main class. Eh, I wouldn't recommend this, since Alexander Savage is really unfriendly to first time raiders. If you're confident though, you could always find a first time team and give it a try.

2: You use 180 and 190 gear for you alternate classes, and wait until you're done with Esoterics on your main class before spending on others.

2.5: wait for the 24 man raid in 3.1, and get a free 200 piece per week.

Probably not the answers you'd like to hear though, I'd imagine. Still, the weekly caps actually serve a purpose. Uncapped tome farming kinda gets old, fast.
I suppose all of this is reasonable, I will grind law in unhealthy doses while waiting for PF's to clear Bismarck Ex. ._.

WolvenOne

I suppose all of this is reasonable, I will grind law in unhealthy doses while waiting for PF's to clear Bismarck Ex. ._.

Well, worst case scenario, come 3.1 there'll be an Echo-Buff. Between that and higher gear you'll have a good chance of clearing even if somebody falls off.

Granted, waiting for echo is hardly ideal. <_<;;

PS: Another option would be to try to recruit a regular set of friends to help clear it. If you're all learning the fight, then at least all the progress you make means something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well, worst case scenario, come 3.1 there'll be an Echo-Buff. Between that and higher gear you'll have a good chance of clearing even if somebody falls off.

Granted, waiting for echo is hardly ideal. <_<;;
I don't think I'm the greatest or anything, but when I look at the gear of some of these people(180-190) and how we're failing DPS checks I'm just like "bruh" if not then it boils down to mechanics and someone falls short. Eventually someone bails and the whole party falls out. Is painful, Square pls just let me bump this out in DF, kthxbai.

Top Bottom