• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Alrus

Question for SCH, do you use Blizzard 2 when dpsing on packs? Also, Miasma 2 on a single target is useless right? Trying to figure if there's stuff I could improve regarding DPSing.

ebil

Question for SCH, do you use Blizzard 2 when dpsing on packs? Also, Miasma 2 on a single target is useless right? Trying to figure if there's stuff I could improve regarding DPSing.
Yes and yes. You have to dump either Stoneskin or Aero for Blizzard 2 though (go with Stoneskin).

(Assuming every dot is up) Blizzard 2 is more potent than Broil if there are 4 or more enemies, and more potent than Ruin if there are 2 or more. Miasma 2 is useless on single target, yeah.

Alrus

Yes and yes. You have to dump either Stoneskin or Aero for Blizzard 2 though (go with Stoneskin).

Yeah I barely use Stoneskin anymore so I guess I'm dumping that.

And I've played without Aero for the longest time for some reason, I still tend to forget using it during fights :/

Thanks for the answers :)

Leunam

AST here and I literally never use it now because the nerf has made it one step over effectively useless.

Not gonna say you shouldn't have it, but on the same slice of the pie I never use it. I get why WHMs use it when applying it to the whole party, but most ASTs and SCH I see don't bother unless there is a lot of idling.

What about for potential tank busters? If this is the case I may just switch to AST right away now that I have Swiftcast.

Valor

Leviathan is probably the worst ex primal to farm for ponies unsynced. Dps is so fast the reactor thing doesn't charge and it's a wipe every time. Unless you don't fucking breathe after killing the orbs it's over. At least all the other primals are face-smash easy now

I had to solo DPS Leviathan for us not to wipe on it while unsynced.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to order the Before the Fall OST on the European SE store. Turns out that SE wants 15€ shipping costs to Germany for merchandise products below 40€. That's nearly half of the price for the actual OST...

but it is totally worth it ;_;" believe me..

Something something pot and kettle.
Wow rude! You've been around Sorian too long, his Lala hate is rubbing off on you.
What about for potential tank busters? If this is the case I may just switch to AST right away now that I have Swiftcast.
You have more effective tools than stoneskin for tankbusters. Hell keeping a Bole in your Spread to use when you know a tank buster is coming or using Disable before a tankbuster is more effective than stoneskin and you won't have to deal with cast time or mana use.

I'm not gonna tell you to 100% not get it because it does have some minimal use. But nowadays nobody is surprised to not get a stoneskin before battle.

Wagram

Did The Rising event this afternoon. It was alright; I knew exactly where I was once I seen the
patch pictures
on the wall. There was some really neat artwork. At least it seems confirmed at this point that the final boss of Heavensward will be getting an extreme version. That should be quite fun. What I would have gave for an option to go heel in that
Naoki Yoshida
cutscene to vent frustration.

IvorB

Did The Rising event this afternoon. It was alright; I knew exactly where I was once I seen the patch pictures on the wall. There was some really neat artwork on the walls. At least it seems confirmed at this point that the final boss of Heavensward will be getting an extreme version. That should be quite fun.

Yeah
Thordan
Ex should be pretty crazy.

WolvenOne

Incase nobody was around for my shenanigans last night.

Apparently Tanks still can't solo Sabotender Bailarina. Can't Healbird your way through it either.

Oh well, FOR SCIENCE!

Finished Thornmarch Extreme last night...

First attempt did not go so well. Spent 70 minutes in there before we all abandoned (because the tanks left and we weren't going to get refilled in time). It is really frustrating though when you have players in the group who get frustrated at the multiple wipes, don't communicate to say what should be done and then just AFK causing more wipes and then constantly try to vote abandon.

However, the time spent in there really helped me learn the fight, so second group got it down with only 1 or 2 wipes total. I think the guide I was reading made the fight way more complicated than it needed to be. I also think the fight becomes a bit easier if you zoom the camera all the way out, so you can easily see whether it's WHM or BLM doing their room wide AOE as a DPS so you can quickly run and interrupt.

Tonight I get to run my first Heavensward dungeon, Dusk Vigil... Then I get to experience the joys of flying mounts since that's the last aether current I need. I've only explored two areas, but it feels like they made the new areas more annoying to run around with winding paths and cliffs everywhere, which will make flying all the more sweeter.

WolvenOne

Finished Thornmarch Extreme last night...

First attempt did not go so well. Spent 70 minutes in there before we all abandoned (because the tanks left and we weren't going to get refilled in time). It is really frustrating though when you have players in the group who get frustrated at the multiple wipes, don't communicate to say what should be done and then just AFK causing more wipes and then constantly try to vote abandon.

However, the time spent in there really helped me learn the fight, so second group got it down with only 1 or 2 wipes total. I think the guide I was reading made the fight way more complicated than it needed to be. I also think the fight becomes a bit easier if you zoom the camera all the way out, so you can easily see whether it's WHM or BLM doing their room wide AOE as a DPS so you can quickly run and interrupt.

Tonight I get to run my first Heavensward dungeon, Dusk Vigil... Then I get to experience the joys of flying mounts since that's the last aether current I need. I've only explored two areas, but it feels like they made the new areas more annoying to run around with winding paths and cliffs everywhere, which will make flying all the more sweeter.

The bulk of fights are easier with the camera zoomed out. There's a few where the opposite is true though, at least for the tank. Case in point, Shiva Extreme. fully zoomed out it can be a bit difficult to tell which weapon she's currently using, so at least initially it's a bit easier to play half zoomed in.

That's an exception though, by in large it's easier when you can see the bulk of the arena.

Sifl

If you are doing FATES from 50-60, where should you go? I'm lvl 51 and in the western highlands and was wondering when I can move to a new area.

WolvenOne

If you are doing FATES from 50-60, where should you go? I'm lvl 51 and in the western highlands and was wondering when I can move to a new area.

Until you can fly, you can't really effectively do Fates in a new area. So just follow the story and unlock flight in each area. Once you get to a part where you're waiting for a dungeon queue or whatnot, go back the the most recent area you can fly in, and run Fates until it pops.

Sifl

Until you can fly, you can't really effectively do Fates in a new area. So just follow the story and unlock flight in each area. Once you get to a part where you're waiting for a dungeon queue or whatnot, go back the the most recent area you can fly in, and run Fates until it pops.
I have a 60 character, leveling my monk and I can fly everywhere. I don't really feel like doing w/e that 51 dungeon is tho.

WolvenOne

I have a 60 character, leveling my monk and I can fly everywhere. I don't really feel like doing w/e that 51 dungeon is tho.

Then do the highest level Fates that you can comfortably clear with the class you're leveling. Though really, even with the recent Fate Buff I still think dungeons give better XP.

Alrus

Western Coerthas can last you till 55 if you want, I guess you can move to churning at 54 or something.

Hinterlands at about 56-57

59-60 you might as well be doing Gubal as it's much faster xp usually. People doing HW fates tend to waste a shitton of time on the big boss ones that take forever and don't reward that much.

Ken

Yeah, I know that. Maybe I'll order something else with it to reduce the shipping to "only" 10€. Can anyone tell me whether the FFXIV artbook is worth the money?

It covers a ton of content but doesn't go in-depth with any one thing. Text is usually limited to a sentence or two per item. Nice to look at but doesn't offer much insight into the designs and concepts, I suppose.

So is there a less soul-crushing way of leveling my second job (Astrologian) than grinding dungeons?

I want to melt my face off right now and I'm not even 55.

Ken

So is there a less soul-crushing way of leveling my second job (Astrologian) than grinding dungeons?

I want to melt my face off right now and I'm not even 55.

Depends. How fast do you want it to 60? On even levels I usually just level purely off roulettes and maybe a dungeon or two to burn some rest XP. Takes about two days? On odd levels I'll spam whatever current dungeon is plus roulettes.

yeah, unfortunate. apparently we're all toxic people or something like that according to someone on twitter.

I dunno I can't remember exactly what was said the salt was too think to see through

Depends. How fast do you want it to 60? On even levels I usually just level purely off roulettes and maybe a dungeon or two to burn some rest XP. Takes about two days? On odd levels I'll spam whatever current dungeon is plus roulettes.

Quickish. I'm just so burnt on the dungeons from leveling my SCH.

Wipes make me contemplate jumping off of a bridge. :p

Ken

Quickish. I'm just so burnt on the dungeons from leveling my SCH.

Wipes make me contemplate jumping off of a bridge. :p

Well, I hear FATEs are good now but I really can't be bothered to wait until PF has a group. There's like 300k of exp from a set of daily hunt bills. Otherwise you would have to abuse your healer queues I guess.

Sifl

I don't mind the lalafell characters, but there's a lalafell themed fc whose slogan is something like "sexy lalafell's only". They run around in swimwear in Limsa and role play, it's pretty...awkward.

xezuru

On this episode of Gaf and Glamour: Extreme Makeover.
CknPmen.jpg
"Hey guys, I need help accessing the true endgame and I don't know what to do! I've tried all sorts of combinations but the designers of Monk-wear truely give me a hard time to achieve the high glamour endgame I've been wanting. Truthfully, I have history with the Allagon Visor and is pretty much all I want to keep, but please GAF, pimp my ri-...Glam me up!"
- X. Z.

Top Bottom