• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

suzu

What are the chances of acquiring a house? I read somewhere they are sold out and are not making more? Should I just settle for a room in the FC housing when I save up enough money to get one?

An FC room is only 300k. Small houses are like 5mil at full value but, I think most if not all of them are sold out now.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Where can I find a guide for obtaining penta-melded accessories? I don't have the money for it, so I can't just buy it off the market board, nor do I have a crafter at that level to make it myself.

I guess my first step would be to start getting the items needed to craft these accessories, but I have no idea how to start. I also don't have a crafter at the required levels, so I guess I'd need to find someone willing to make it for me.

Also, should I expect these things to be obsolete by the time patch 3.1 comes out?
See if you can find someone in your FC or your group to make them for cheap. I can't craft them myself, so I ask for people who can. Getting the materials (or buying them off the boards) and then getting someone to make them for you is most likely less expensive than actually buying the finished items off the board whole.

Before you start though, work out what you're going for. Go to Ariyala's calculator and figure out which accessories you want, how many you want, and what stats you want to meld into them (but keep in mind fending accessories don't have space for any secondary stats). I'm assuming you're a tank, and IMO three crafted accessories is a good number for tanks. I run 3 crafted + 2 slaying in Alex Savage.

Once you have an idea of what accessories you want, look up how to make them and get the materials together. Since you can't craft them, this probably means buying or hunting the materials yourself. Then find a guy to craft them for you.

As for the melds themselves, picking what materia to put in is pretty straightforward because of the high stat caps. With an i150 fending accessory, you want 4x STR IV + 1x STR III to max out the strength cap on it. i150 slaying accessories have two main options:

* 4x VIT IV + one other materia of your choice (more expensive but hits VIT cap)
* 3x VIT IV + 1x VIT III + one materia of your choice (less expensive but gets you an accessory 1 short of VIT cap)

Melding also requires a crafter, and since melding can take a lot of tries to succeed, you're pretty much looking at "hiring" a crafter to sit there and try to meld stuff for you for about 10-20 minutes or so, depending on how many materia you're willing to try to meld at once. Bring both the materia and the appropriate catalysts (Grade IV carbonized matter for Grade IV materia, I think) when you do this, since each meld attempt takes a catalyst.

Materia-wise, the meld rates are very low so you want a LOT of materia to try with. This is the most expensive part of the process. If you have spare money, keep an eye out on the market boards and try to buy the materia you want when the prices are lowest (usually during the day on weekdays). You can also spiritbond materia yourself but IMO this is not really practical because you need something like 30-50 materia to meld up each accessory, and spiritbonding gives you a random materia that might not even be what you want. You might be better off grinding money and buying what you want off the market boards.

WolvenOne

Honestly, once I finish with all the 4's, I'm using a 2 for all the last slots. The 3's cost almost as much as the 4's these days, and the tiny bit of extra STR isn't worth the massive increase in cost.

PS: I really feel like they should have introduced Tier 6 Materia as well as Tier 5's. It'll be hard to cap 180+ accessories even with Tier 5's becoming more readily available in 3.1 (Presumably.) I mean, in my mind this early people should be able to cap out main stat while having a slot or two left over to add a few points of secondary stats of your choice. I guess you can do that if you have enough Tier 5's to work with in 3.1, but it'll be TOUGH.

PPS: Added a sixth tier, or reworked the chances for melding later slots. Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to gamble so heavily on later slots.

i even started healing to see the full dreadful picture
yes, it's dreadful
. currently just leveling alts and doing some casual pvp. you will notice something is iffy when pvp queues are fast. my poor gc, you suck so much now. gotta be happy with 2nd place.

it's okay, mgs is here. i think my sub is for 20 more days? who knows. might be a good time for another break.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What are the chances of acquiring a house? I read somewhere they are sold out and are not making more? Should I just settle for a room in the FC housing when I save up enough money to get one?
They're working on freeing up inactive plots.
Q: Do you have any plans to increase the number of furnishings we can place in our house?
A: We’re currently working on features that will automatically relinquish houses that haven't been used in some time, as well as a feature for moving your house, and thinking of increasing the cap after this, so please give us some more time. We’re first going to deal with the shortage of available land.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-Producer-LIVE-Part-XXIII-Digest-(08-18-2015)

I also remember reading that new plots would come in 3.1, but I can't find the article I read that from.

Omni

Something I've noticed since moving to Ultros is that everything on the MB is so much cheaper than what it is on Lamia. Crazy

Sifl

Man like 90% of my friends list has dissappeared over the past month. All showing as (deleted). You guys sure they didn't just delete me, cause that would make more sense to me then like 25+ ppl server transferring all within a month, lol.

WolvenOne

Man like 90% of my friends list has dissappeared over the past month. All showing as (deleted). You guys sure they didn't just delete me, cause that would make more sense to me then like 25+ ppl server transferring all within a month, lol.

Well accounts won't read as deleted unless they're either transferred to different servers, or the character has literally been deleted. People don't normally delete their characters when they unsub, so chances are they server transferred.

Or engaged in RMT or something.

Ken

Even if they delete you they still show up on your list as friends afaik.

Shamdeo

im sorry but all of your friends are RMT bots

Sifl

im sorry but all of your friends are RMT bots
Lol :(. But really a lot of people on my list frequently complained about my server, and after I played the game for about 2 weeks I was considering transfering because of how dead it felt but never did. I would honestly transfer now too, but I remember reading there's like a 1 million Gil limit when you transfer? Only thing stopping me at this point.
because all my friends are dead, or they are bots

Lol :(. But really a lot of people on my list frequently complained about my server, and after I played the game for about 2 weeks I was considering transfering because of how dead it felt but never did. I would honestly transfer now too, but I remember reading there's like a 1 million Gil limit when you transfer? Only thing stopping me at this point.
because all my friends are dead, or they are bots

you can carry items over so ppl just inspect the pricings of stuff on the other server and buy that stuff and sell it over there. Like materia or allagan gold pieces

dcye

Yo so I've just hit 60 on my CUL (I'm the muffin man!). Is the crafted blue crafter AF better/worse/same as the red scrip gear? I'm a bit confused as to why both exist.

ps. ded gaem

Played for a few hours yesterday evening and no more than 2 other people in my FC logged on.

ded gaem

Actually I blame MGSV since I saw many people in my FC excited about it and saw many of my friends who play this game playing it yesterday. In fact I was the only person on my PSN friend list who wasn't playing it.

ebil

Yo so I've just hit 60 on my CUL (I'm the muffin man!). Is the crafted blue crafter AF better/worse/same as the red scrip gear? I'm a bit confused as to why both exist.

ps. ded gaem
Crafted has lower raw stats but higher caps when melded.

Zalasta

For DoL retainer, what is the ideal gathering/perception stat to have? I am just wondering if it's necessary to upgrade their gears (going as far as to get their own blue/red scrip set) or is it enough to simply fulfill the 388 requirement for the highest exploration.

ebil

Hmm, fair enough. What are the mat requirements like on the crafted gear? Hard to farm?
No, not hard at all but relatively time consuming and somewhat convoluted. Everything is farmable with ilv 150 gear with minimal melds.

You need items from Concealed Nodes (they're normal lv 60 nodes but you need Favors that you buy with Red Gathering Tokens to have a chance of RNG pop), items from Folklore nodes, some of the higher level Aethersand you obtain through Aetherial Reduction and Red Crafting Scrips Tokens. Then they're 2-star crafted items.

From what i heard, there are some pieces you shouldnt bother crafting as the new cap is like 3 points above the higher ilvl turn in version. Do your research!
This is true. While we've bothered with crafting a few pieces because it was fun making stuff ourselves (that's the whole point of crafting to me), I don't think it was worth the time I spent farming for them overall. I wouldn't advise going for it if you're only crafting casually but then again, I'm no hardcore crafter either.

Hmm, fair enough. What are the mat requirements like on the crafted gear? Hard to farm?

To cap the crafted items, you will need some grade 5 materia, which are crazy expensive atm.

From what i heard, there are some pieces you shouldnt bother crafting as the new cap is like 3 points above the higher ilvl turn in version. Do your research!

WolvenOne

Anyone know of some videos that show a successful execution of the A3S Add Phase from a tank perspective? I mean if know what needs to be done there. Stun/Silence Musilige (or whatever it's called,) burn adds, pick up and mitigate tethers. Still, it might be useful to know what my job is supposed to, "look," like.

Anyone know of some videos that show a successful execution of the A3S Add Phase from a tank perspective? I mean if know what needs to be done there. Stun/Silence Musilige (or whatever it's called,) burn adds, pick up and mitigate tethers. Still, it might be useful to know what my job is supposed to, "look," like.

Where else to look but the guy who does everything as warrior on YouTube?
https://youtu.be/DFyImYr0xVY

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Thinking about starting to level a 2nd class. What do you do for gear? Normally I have gotten stuff through quests. Just buy stuff from the AH?

Also, what can I do besides fates and dungeons to level?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think I'm about to lose my mind. I've hit level 51 and I still don't think I've stepped foot into the expansion. So many main quests back and forth for the most random stuff and of course duty duty duty.

I'm currently up to the Levin duty .... When does this end so I can hit up new content?!

I think I'm about to lose my mind. I've hit level 51 and I still don't think I've stepped foot into the expansion. So many main quests back and forth for the most random stuff and of course duty duty duty.

I'm currently up to the Levin duty .... When does this end so I can hit up new content?!

Take it from someone who just did this grind - don't ask. Suffice to say Ramuh isn't close to the end. At some point I looked up the list of MSQs that I had to get through and I instantly regretted it.

There's just so much shitty filler in the pre-3.0 MSQ. Some of it is great but for every semi interesting quest there are about a dozen completely pointless fetch quests, or quests that involve running to spot, spawning a single mob, killing it in 15 seconds, then teleporting back.

The actual story isn't bad, when it gets off it's ass and moves forward, but it's honestly such a slog to get to the expansion.

I just hope that in the future they somehow trim it down for newer and returning players. If 4.0 is gonna require going through the entire MSQ to unlock it then whoo boy this game is gonna have trouble getting new players to the endgame.

Xux

You're about 40% of the way past Praetorium to the Heavensward stuff. 3+1 boss fights and all the quests and two mandatory dungeons inbetween.

Damerman

can a person who only bought ARR participate in this thread? hoping to join the guild and make friends. Looking to get Heavensward later this month.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I just got through it all last week. It got a lot more interesting during 2.4 onward. I used this for checking my progress: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Main_Scenario_Quest

I just hope that in the future they somehow trim it down for newer and returning players. If 4.0 is gonna require going through the entire MSQ to unlock it then whoo boy this game is gonna have trouble getting new players to the endgame.

They said getting to 4.0 won't be bad:

Main Scenario Progression to Access 4.0 Content

Though it’s still a bit early to talk about this, you’ll be able to access and accept quests for Patch 4.0 even if you have not completed the main scenario for the Patch 3.x series. Similarly, you’ll be able to unlock new jobs regardless of your scenario progression. Due to this, we feel the need to create a system that will allow you to watch a digest of what happened. However, for the 3.0 story, since everyone has seen everything up until now I think it was enjoyable, and while there were some pros and cons for this, I think having the system we did for the 3.x series was a good thing.

Moonlight

Banned
Temple of Qarn's boss fight is awesome. Feels really cool to bob in and out of the pathways of lasers. Felt like I was dragging my party down, though. Anyone have tips on how my BLM rotation should look at Level 35? Right now, I'm doing Ice -> Thunder 2 -> Tranpose -> Fire 1 till no mana -> Tranpose, rinse repeat, which is essentially the same thing I've been doing for, uh, like ten levels. I've got Convert and Raging Strike, but I'm never certain where to use them since the cooldowns are so long. Fire 3 seems like not much bang for your buck, but I combo it with Swiftcast occasionally.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Temple of Qarn's boss fight is awesome. Feels really cool to bob in and out of the pathways of lasers. Felt like I was dragging my party down, though. Anyone have tips on how my BLM rotation should look at Level 35? Right now, I'm doing Ice -> Thunder 2 -> Tranpose -> Fire 1 till no mana -> Tranpose, rinse repeat, which is essentially the same thing I've been doing for, uh, like ten levels. I've got Convert and Raging Strike, but I'm never certain where to use them since the cooldowns are so long. Fire 3 seems like not much bang for your buck, but I combo it with Swiftcast occasionally.

Fire 1 till low mana then transpose thunder 2 and then ice 1 until mp is full.

When you get to lvl 40 your whole world will change.

Edit: Oh you have fire 3?

Use Fire 3 once and then fire 1 until mp is down low enough. Once you get Blizzard 3 you use that instead of transpose. You'll be on umbral ice 3 instantly.

So with firestarter and Blizzard 3 your rotation will look like this

Fire 3 -> Fire 1 (except when firestarter procs which you would use Fire 3 for the proc) till low mp -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder 2 -> Blizzard 1 till mp is full -> Repeat starting with Fire 3 again.

Fire 3 is powerful but costs a lot of mana. The main uses for it are its ability to get your to Astral Fire 3 instantly and the firestarter proc that will give you a free Fire 3 to cast instantly. Fire 3 will not hit hard on the first hit because there isn't any Astral Fire buff yet.

Xux

Blizzard > Thunder II > Fire III > Raging Strikes > Fire until you're out of MP > Transpose. Convert can replace Transpose if it's up and you wanna do one or two more Fires. Blizzard III replaces Transpose at 38.

RPGCrazied

can a person who only bought ARR participate in this thread? hoping to join the guild and make friends. Looking to get Heavensward later this month.

Lol, sure you can. I'm in the guild, and I don't have the expansion yet. Hell, I don't even have a level 50 job. My highest is level 44.

I originally played ff14 on ps4, right? I got tired of the framerate and want to play on pc in the future. Can i just buy any used game disc and install it to my pc and log in to my account, or do i need a new copy with some sort of license key in it?

Allmyfriendsaredead_cover.jpg

Ken

I originally played ff14 on ps4, right? I got tired of the framerate and want to play on pc in the future. Can i just buy any used game disc and install it to my pc and log in to my account, or do i need a new copy with some sort of license key in it?

Need new keys.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wow. The caliber of player I've been getting in dungeons on my Eso runs have been abysmal. Just don't want to run them right now, or maybe just level a dps job and forget about those places for a bit. T_T

Moonlight

Banned
Fire 1 till low mana then transpose thunder 2 and then ice 1 until mp is full.

When you get to lvl 40 your whole world will change.

Edit: Oh you have fire 3?

Use Fire 3 once and then fire 1 until mp is down low enough. Once you get Blizzard 3 you use that instead of transpose. You'll be on umbral ice 3 instantly.

So with firestarter and Blizzard 3 your rotation will look like this

Fire 3 -> Fire 1 (except when firestarter procs which you would use Fire 3 for the proc) till low mp -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder 2 -> Blizzard 1 till mp is full -> Repeat starting with Fire 3 again.

Fire 3 is powerful but costs a lot of mana. The main uses for it are its ability to get your to Astral Fire 3 instantly and the firestarter proc that will give you a free Fire 3 to cast instantly. Fire 3 will not hit hard on the first hit because there isn't any Astral Fire buff yet.

Blizzard > Thunder II > Fire III > Raging Strikes > Fire until you're out of MP > Transpose. Convert can replace Transpose if it's up and you wanna do one or two more Fires. Blizzard III replaces Transpose at 38.
Alright, thanks guys! Gonna start with Xux's for now, and try Trojita's once I've got the appropriate traits/skills.

Top Bottom