• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sandfox

i thought all the new classes are getting bad reviews? from what i see on reddit everyone seems to be complaining

There's something to complain about for almost every job lol.

FC chat seemed to be digging them. Only complaint I saw in there was Machinist not doing enough damage, but a couple of people said it was fun to play with the ammo system.

The problem with Machinist from what I've read is that you're basically putting in more work to fire on all cylinders with no real added benefit.

dcye

I'll go with BRD to 60 and see how the rotation shakes out. I'll lvl PLD to 60 next and might switch there, that way you can go DRG if you want Ray and we can recruit a BRD/MCH.

Puaru1

So what do summoner's think? I was a summoner in FF11 and I recently got back into FF14 since I just upgraded to a GeForce 970 (my old Radeon 6750 ran the game poorly so I stopped playing). If summoner is an option, I take it (why would anyone choose to swing an axe when you can summon demons and primals and the like?). I just hit lvl 40 and am interested in how Summoner's view the new expansion.

Sandfox

So what do summoner's think? I was a summoner in FF11 and I recently got back into FF14 since I just upgraded to a GeForce 970 (my old Radeon 6750 ran the game poorly so I stopped playing). If summoner is an option, I take it (why would anyone choose to swing an axe when you can summon demons and primals and the like?). I just hit lvl 40 and am interested in how Summoner's view the new expansion.
Its too early to say, but Summoners seem to be happy so far.

IMBored

I'm thinking it may have had something to do with bard being a pretty much all reward/no risk DPS class lol. That, and needing Machinist to stand out enough to get data useful for future balancing. All speculation tho

I don't argue that brd wasn't the easiest class to play, but it had the shortcomings to make up for it. Now it seems to still have those shortcomings (because the tradeoff for WM is too big to be a flat DPS increase compared to other jobs buffs) and completely changed gameplay. And changing a pre-existing class so a new one can take it's place is dumb imo.
Also, they nerfed our AOE hard.

But still, I'm enjoying the content and thankfully the quests give enough exp so I don't need to grind. Had to turn off fc chat to stop spoilers tough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Well, in Heavensward you get TRANS BAHAMUT, which I haven't tried but looks metal as fuck, so yeah, I'm sure SMN is awesome still.

I don't argue that brd wasn't the easiest class to play, but it had the shortcomings to make up for it. Now it seems to still have those shortcomings (because the tradeoff for WM is too big to be a flat DPS increase compared to other jobs buffs) and completely changed gameplay. And changing a pre-existing class so a new one can take it's place is dumb imo.
Also, they nerfed our AOE hard.

But still, I'm enjoying the content and thankfully the quests give enough exp so I don't need to grind. Had to turn off fc chat to stop spoilers tough.

Yeah, I noticed running the second new dungeon that the BRD's damage wasn't as high as I thought it would be from his gear, and he was beasting.

Well, in Heavensward you get TRANS BAHAMUT, which I haven't tried but looks metal as fuck, so yeah, I'm sure SMN is awesome still.

...I might go back to SMN now

Puaru1

Its too early to say, but Summoners seem to be happy so far.

Thank you for your reply. When I played SMN in FFXI I was just a shitty WHM substitute. I am glad to hear that SMN is not just a half assed healer in FF14. Summoning Garuda for 3 seconds so she can use Predator Claws and then releasing her so I could keep spamming Cure 3 was not what I imagined when I spent days farming for a carbuncle ruby.

Nohar

I'll level BRD to 60, but yeah, I'm not really happy about WM. As for the Machinist, indeed, their DPS seems really low (in low level dungeons with 2 machinists with decent stuff, everything takes longer to kill than usual - with the healer helping us in cleric stance !). I decided to stop leveling it altogether until they decide to buff the job.

As for spoilers, yeah, our FC has a small problem with it too. It shall be dealt with soon.

Thank you for your reply. When I played SMN in FFXI I was just a shitty WHM substitute. I am glad to hear that SMN is not just a half assed healer in FF14. Summoning Garuda for 3 seconds so she can use Predator Claws and then releasing her so I could keep spamming Cure 3 was not what I imagined when I spent days farming for a carbuncle ruby.

Nah, SMN is a straight DPS in XIV, but the damage comes mostly from damage over time with only a few high damage burst skills. Still lots of fun, but not with the heavy hits of some other DPS classes. No constant MP drain either, and very useful for soloing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

SMN has always been a damage/DOT stack class, which I love. If you're down with that, you'll love SMN.

Nah, SMN is a straight DPS in XIV, but the damage comes mostly from damage over time with only a few high damage burst skills. Still lots of fun, but not with the heavy hits of some other DPS classes. No constant MP drain either, and very useful for soloing.

Yeah, nice big MP pool with no constant drain, and you don't have to micromanage your pet. SMN remains one of my favorite classes.

I wonder if they'll add a new summon.

...I might go back to SMN now

tumblr_nq5qgyG9Gf1r0bec3o1_1280.png

Kouriozan

My main job is SMN and I have yet to get trans Bahamut (level 54/50% so far), but I'm doing pretty fine.

Did Thok for the first time tonight.

Random group, other healer died early,

Same thing happened to me, one healer flied out of the arena, I had to res the other 2 times (and one tank once), if I wasn't SMN I'm sure we would have failed.

SMN has always been a damage/DOT stack class, which I love. If you're down with that, you'll love SMN.

Yeah, nice big MP pool with no constant drain, and you don't have to micromanage your pet. SMN remains one of my favorite classes.

I wonder if they'll add a new summon.

Still waiting on Shiva...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm very happy with new BLM skills and I'm not even 60 yet.

Lay Lines is super fun, but I have to use quelling strikes when I use it, because the damage is usually too much for the tank to handle.

thetrin

My main job is SMN and I have yet to get trans Bahamut (level 54/50% so far), but I'm doing pretty fine.

What are the 50-54 skills like? I assume it's just one skill so far. I've just been working on my DRG.

Puaru1

I didn't actually unlock SMN when I first played FF14 in 2010, I was stuck in ACN and my computer sucked so I didn't stick with it. I am so glad I don't have to do ridiculous stuff like farming 3 weeks to get a Yin Yang Robe and Carbuncle Mitts just to be able to have a pet out at all times.

grimmiq

Just finished The Vault dungeon..

WHY DO ALL THE CHARACTERS I LIKE DIE?!

I didn't actually unlock SMN when I first played FF14 in 2010, I was stuck in ACN and my computer sucked so I didn't stick with it. I am so glad I don't have to do ridiculous stuff like farming 3 weeks to get a Yin Yang Robe and Carbuncle Mitts just to be able to have a pet out at all times.

SMN wasn't in the game during 1.0, came in with A Realm Reborn in 2013.

Aselith

This Holy Water shit is fucking up my crafting world. It's created a severe power imbalance if you don't have a botanist. Like you literally cannot buy Dravanian Mistletoe on my server, no one is selling. There are 4 Holy Waters on the market which is not even enough to make one item. It's just crazy because nearly everything uses Holy Water.

I just want Jesus to spit on me so I can get some sweet Holy Water. Please, Lord!

Puaru1

Just finished The Vault dungeon..

WHY DO ALL THE CHARACTERS I LIKE DIE?!

SMN wasn't in the game during 1.0, came in with A Realm Reborn in 2013.

Huh, shows what I remember. I still call Roegadyn and Miqo'te by their FF11 counterparts Galka and Mithra haha.

thetrin

Definitely make it to that point. SMN gets really fun the more skills you get. There are sadly only 3 summons once you hit SMN (you lose Carbuncle), but it's still mad fun.

Scher

Finally got through all the story and beat
Knights of the Round
. Going into the expansion, this is certainly not what I was expecting to happen at first. After having done that fight, though, I really hope they make an extreme version or something, similar to how Ultima got a hard mode fight. The fight was just way too easy, and I'd love to have a more challenging version of that fight.

Oh well, guess it's time for me a take a bit of a break and start laying off the game a bit.

Semper88

I'll go with BRD to 60 and see how the rotation shakes out. I'll lvl PLD to 60 next and might switch there, that way you can go DRG if you want Ray and we can recruit a BRD/MCH.

we'll see bud, there is room to change.

I might be interested in machinist, that is if its not compleet shit like its now lol.

Puaru1

Definitely make it to that point. SMN gets really fun the more skills you get. There are sadly only 3 summons once you hit SMN (you lose Carbuncle), but it's still mad fun.

Yeah that doesn't bother me, when I played FFXI (I started in 2006 when it came to Xbox 360), Garuda was the only viable summon at level 75, and even then, she was summoned, used Predator Claws, then immediately unsummoned so I could be a garbage WHM wannabe in every party I was invited to. I know that Titan isn't really useful in any party situation, but just having Ifrit or Garuda to choose from is double the options I used to have, so I'm pretty happy.

Wagram

This expansion has a better story than full on retail releases...and dare I say other mainline final fantasy titles. Jesus, what an accomplishment.

Zomba13

This expansion has a better story than full on retail releases...and dare I say other mainline final fantasy titles. Jesus, what an accomplishment.

Not even finished yet but the expansion has a better story than at least FFXIII. Characters make more sense too as they aren't flopping between fighting destiny and going with destiny to fight it because going with it is fighting it.

Puaru1

Not even finished yet but the expansion has a better story than at least FFXIII. Characters make more sense too as they aren't flopping between fighting destiny and going with destiny to fight it because going with it is fighting it.

I hope so, because yesterday I spent like 4 hours hunting down shit for a banquet to prove I was ready to face Titan.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dear Machinist in Duty Finder, stop using limit break. Your limit is an AOE and takes half the damage of mine.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Urianger isn't voiced by Gideon Emery anymore... why even keep playing this game
This is one of the VA changes I don't understand. The new voice isn't bad, but it's certainly no upgrade.
Dear Machinist in Duty Finder, stop using limit break. Your limit is an AOE and takes half the damage of mine.
Gotta give people time to learn. I've stolen some LBs just to see what they look like.

Tiops

DRK seems to be pretty good. I'm still in low level stuff, but aggro management and resource consumption are not an issue at the moment. And stunning things with a high kick is awesome.

So my physical Standard Edition of Heavensward came in today, is it safe to input the code yet or should I wait till tomorrow to not mess things up? I don't want to be locked out today :p

Puaru1

Oh man, I remember it seemed like those terrible missions would never end.

It's cool, after I passed that and screwing around for like 2 hours in a cemetary mourning the deaths of nameless, faceless NPC's, I'm in Coerthas Central Highlands doing more stupid bullshit so I can finally go up against Garuda.

Valor

LB quicker, melee scrublord.

BARD LB5evr

I apologize to no one who has run instances with me and watched me pop lb every chance I got. No apologies.

also ermegerd that final trial was more than I hoped it would be. I loved every moment and want to gush forever.

Just got my MCH to level 50 and tbh it's not as bad as many think. I parse at very top most of the time on the way here either in dungeons or FATEs. However, I've run into many bad MCH, who absolutely had no idea how to play the class. They failed to do very basic rotation like keeping "Hot Shot" and "Lead Shot" up at all time or loading "Wildfire" with burst damage for opener.

Just got my MCH to level 50 and tbh it's not as bad as many think. I parse at very top most of the time on the way here either in dungeons or FATEs. However, I've run into many bad MCH, who absolutely had no idea how to play the class. They failed to do very basic rotation like keeping "Hot Shot" and "Lead Shot" up at all time or loading "Wildfire" with burst damage for opener.

I would agree that there is probably a high percentage of people not that skilled in the new jobs, at least partially because they start at 30, so you don't get the learning experience with all of the skills especially as people rush to 50.

Ferr986

NIN (yeah yeah old job) is pretty fun (lvl 44). Kinda lost on how to maximize my rotation yet. I guess I should use Hide+SA but didn't get around to do it yet, feels kinda cumbersome.

Top Bottom