• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tiops

I'm seeing a lot of "Machinist sucks" on Reddit. Is it true? Is the DPS that bad, are players bad, or is ACT bugged for the new classes?

It's a shame if they're as bad as people are complaining about.

iammeiam

Undersized Parties is the best part of the expansion. Just... being able to do dumb stuff like that, on a whim, without having to talk anyone into it.

Liking the final trial, level 60 dungeons are okay, law grind is really not going to be that bad at all. I'm guessing I'll have 160+ in every slot by the end of tomorrow. The real grind is going to be upgrade items unless somebody finds a non-hunt way to get them. EX Primals hopefully soon.

Still down on new bard. Really curious to see how it stacks up DPS-wise once parsers are confirmed to work; I'm guessing Minuet is a gain but I don't get the feeling that bard overall has closed the gap with the other classes. A number of level 60 dungeon bosses are also kind of intensely movement-focused, so the whole thing kind of comes across like whoever put it together really didn't like bards very much.

Aeana

I'm seeing a lot of "Machinist sucks" on Reddit. Is it true? Is the DPS that bad, are players bad, or is ACT bugged for the new classes?

It's usually a mixture of all three with new stuff. SE has generally been pretty good about class balance, so I'm inclined to be more critical of the latter two, but if it does turn out that the job just isn't up to snuff, at least the extremely loud whining will get SE's attention.

I'm coming to the realization that AST are not meant to be the kind of healer who should be cleric stance switching to help dps. They already have a stance to be dancing with, they lack emergency big heals like SCH/WHM have and they're a buff class so they ARE helping dps by buffing the DPS with their cards.

I've noticed I just absolutely burn mana when trying to add dps as well.

My biggest gripe about AST so far is the inability to give a huge buff to their heals. That is a huge oversight if you ask me since both SCH and WHM are able to do that.

lordxar

Heh, shame we can't solo Titan EX since those bloody rock encapsulations need someone to break you out of it.

When I found out about this the first thing I wanted to do is solo titan (nm) but got gaoled and shutdown. Figured I'd work up through the primals to see what their like with no restriction but that kind of nixed it. Now I'm wondering if you can push phases enough to skip those. I made it through heart phase and got nailed immediately after so I doubt it. Sastasha otoh was hilarious to solo.

I'm coming to the realization that AST are not meant to be the kind of healer who should be cleric stance switching to help dps. They already have a stance to be dancing with, they lack emergency big heals like SCH/WHM have and they're a buff class so they ARE helping dps by buffing the DPS with their cards.

I've noticed I just absolutely burn mana when trying to add dps as well.

My biggest gripe about AST so far is the inability to give a huge buff to their heals. That is a huge oversight if you ask me since both SCH and WHM are able to do that.

Seems like if they were also capable of that, they would overshadow the other two. It's good to have more diversity in movement among healers (and tanks/dps as well) or they all end up feeling the same.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Feels weak while leveling to me but I'm still not completely sure how to play the job properly. Just got the first turret last night, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Despite my complaints, I'm still having fun with it.

I think the ACT creator mentioned that ACT was not working properly just yet as well.

Anybody in EU had their physical collector's editions shipped yet?

They told me it would arrive on early access day which obviously hasn't happened. Mine still hasn't been shipped, worried it won't arrive tomorrow at this stage.

Arkeband

Banned
Anyone receive their final game key from Green Man Gaming?

I still only have the early access one.

Isn't it the same thing? Registering your game key early is what got you early access, not an 'early access key'.

edit: read a post above, my mistake, I guess we do get a second one...

Semper88

They suck, will be changed tho looking at the amount of complains.

on paper they should work but they don't, hehe.

Ken

It's usually a mixture of all three with new stuff. SE has generally been pretty good about class balance, so I'm inclined to be more critical of the latter two, but if it does turn out that the job just isn't up to snuff, at least the extremely loud whining will get SE's attention.

2.0 WAR never forget.

Hasney

Everythings coming up Hasney. I had to cancel my Heavensward CE pre-order, but the early access codes still worked. Can grab the normal version when I get paid on Friday (or digital CE if I'm feeling FANCY) and early access apparently doesn't end until Saturday.

Only thing I'm really missing at the moment is using mount roulette. I wish they would have a flying only mount roulette.

Alrus

Apparently warrior's Raw Intuition makes all heal coming from the flank or behind guaranteed crits. Scholar+Warrior still best couple.

Gridman

Neo Member
Thanks for adding me to the FC. Wish I could run the new content with you guys but I still have a ways to go. Entertaining to read what everyone says about it though. It's hard moving through the story stuff I've done before but at the same time I don't want to rush through the game and miss the experience. Is everyone in the new content or are there a couple low level characters still running about? If there are we should party up and run dungeons.

Hasney

People in MMOs these days..whining and leaving when you wipe once on content that's been out for 2 days.

Yeah, I've managed to have good groups so far. No wipes in the first two dungeons and 2 on the first trial. Some guy had to leave after the second wipe, but apologised and since he was DPS, was easily replenished.

Ayumi

Sorry in advance for potential dumb questions. The OS X version of FFXIV comes out tomorrow so I'll be buying it then.

Will I have any restrictions from buying the Japanese version of FFXIV: ARR on Steam?
I want to be able to also play with friends on NA.

I don't wanna buy the NA/EU version because I'm gonna purchase subscriptions from my local convenient store.

And should I buy it from Steam or SE's websites (does it matter where I buy it from)?
I feel like I would have better control of my purchase if I buy it from Steam, but I don't know if that's the best option.

Hasney

Sorry in advance for potential dumb questions. The OS X version of FFXIV comes out tomorrow so I'll be buying it then.

Will I have any restrictions from buying the Japanese version of FFXIV: ARR on Steam?
I want to be able to also play with friends on NA.

I don't wanna buy the NA/EU version because I'm gonna purchase subscriptions from my local convenient store.

And should I buy it from Steam or SE's websites (does it matter where I buy it from)?
I feel like I would have better control of my purchase if I buy it from Steam, but I don't know if that's the best option.

Any copy can go on any server, so as long as the Japanese version is on Steam (I'm honestly not sure), you should be good to go.

Ayumi

Any copy can go on any server, so as long as the Japanese version is on Steam (I'm honestly not sure), you should be good to go.

A lot of the FF games are region blocked here, but the Steam version of FFXIV says I'm required to use a Japanese SE account, so I assume it means if I buy it from Steam, I must anyway. Wanted to make sure it's still global within gameplay. :3

If I buy it from NA SE online, can I use any kind of account (like Japanese SE account on NA game client) or are all region-to-region (account vs client)?

Just wanna make sure so I don't end up doing the wrong thing/wasting my money on a useless client purchase.

Hasney

A lot of the FF games are region blocked here, but the Steam version of FFXIV says I'm required to use a Japanese SE account, so I assume it means if I buy it from Steam, I must anyway. Wanted to make sure it's still global within gameplay. :3

If I buy it from NA SE online, can I use any kind of account (like Japanese SE account on NA game client) or are all region-to-region (account vs client)?

Just wanna make sure so I don't end up doing the wrong thing/wasting my money on a useless client purchase.

The SE account/game end is all region locked, so if you want to use your JP account, it has to be the JP version of the game. That Steam message does make it sound like it's the JP copy, so I think you're good to go.

Then once you're logged in to the actual game, you can pick your data centre and login to any server from there.

Klyka

Banned
qmk4S3Q.jpg

Coerthas is a very dangerous place

Dunan

By "here", do you mean Japan?

I have the PS4 and know nothing about Steam, but for the non-Steam PS4 and PC versions, you can buy the game from anywhere and install it when physically in Japan. I pay for months of play using SE's Crysta, and to buy Crysta using a credit card, you have to use a Japan-based credit card if your IP address is in Japan, it seems. But now they also let you buy Crysta with Paypal, and I used that this month with no problem.

Servers are not related to the version you buy, so go ahead and buy the NA version and play on a JP server if you like. I have one character on a JP server and another on NA.

Orcastar

Anybody in EU had their physical collector's editions shipped yet?

They told me it would arrive on early access day which obviously hasn't happened. Mine still hasn't been shipped, worried it won't arrive tomorrow at this stage.

Mine shipped from Birmingham, UK, on Thursday afternoon. According to the DHL tracking number, it's currentlly being processed at some parcel centre in Copenhagen. I guess there's a slight chance that it might arrive tomorrow.

Sucks that yours hasn't even shipped yet. When did you pre-order it?

Finally plowing through the story. The zones are unbelievable. The game has always had incredibly high production value and detail, but the expansion has taken things to another level. Not only are the zones massive in scale, both in area and height, but they are so incredibly detailed it's mind boggling. The amount of work that went into each zone is off the charts, and that's not even hyperbole.

I don't think I've seen anything like it in a MMO before. You can tell there's a lot for the dev team to work with until the next expansion. Lots of areas that are ready for new NPCs, towns, dungeons, etc.

One thing I wish they would have done though is expanded the hunting log. Give each class a new set of ranks as well as a Temple Knight log. There's so many mobs in areas you have no reason to visit that could be put to use. Aether currents do an alright job of getting players to explore the world, but logs would've helped too.

Hasney

Finally plowing through the story. The zones are unbelievable. The game has always had incredibly high production value and detail, but the expansion has taken things to another level. Not only are the zones massive in scale, both in area and height, but they are so incredibly detailed it's mind boggling. The amount of work that went into each zone is off the charts, and that's not even hyperbole.

Now think what they might be able to do in the next expansion when PS3 users are cut off.

neoemonk

Got through some end game patches from ARR over the weekend. I stopped playing after the Leviathan fight and made it up to Keeper of the Lake before having to come to work this morning.

The Shiva fight was particularly amusing to me because five of the eight of us had never done the fight. We wiped one time and then easily got through with the Echo on the second attempt.

Anyone play on Zalera btw? I'm in a small linkshell with IRL friends but right now there are only four of us active with a fifth talking about possibly coming back for Heavensward. I would like to branch out and meet a few more people on the server to group with.

J-Rod

I find myself running around the world just to find the path up a ledge or falling to my death a lot. I guess that is a result of making the zones suited for flying mounts.

IvorB

There is so much good stuff in this expansion but the main thing that sticks out for me is that I sometimes forget that I'm playing an MMO. Honestly, it just feels like I'm playing a really good, classic Final Fantasy game. I think the improved story really gives the feeling of a traditional quest with party members at your side.

I made a video of the new zone event that happened on Ultros in case anyone missed it and doesn't mind being spoiled. :)

Teletraan1

Banned
Just got my retail code from GMG. I guess they'll all be coming out soon.

Same. If you haven't received it for whatever reason you can check on the site and it has all your codes listed under games for your acct. It might be there. It was the first code listed. The second one was the EA code.

Ayumi

The SE account/game end is all region locked, so if you want to use your JP account, it has to be the JP version of the game. That Steam message does make it sound like it's the JP copy, so I think you're good to go.

Then once you're logged in to the actual game, you can pick your data centre and login to any server from there.
Okay, that's the kind of reply I wanted! Thank you for helping me out.

By "here", do you mean Japan?

I have the PS4 and know nothing about Steam, but for the non-Steam PS4 and PC versions, you can buy the game from anywhere and install it when physically in Japan. I pay for months of play using SE's Crysta, and to buy Crysta using a credit card, you have to use a Japan-based credit card if your IP address is in Japan, it seems. But now they also let you buy Crysta with Paypal, and I used that this month with no problem.

Servers are not related to the version you buy, so go ahead and buy the NA version and play on a JP server if you like. I have one character on a JP server and another on NA.
Yeah, I mean Japan. There seem to be FFXIV game cards at the konbini so I shouldn't have to use my credit card or PayPal (though I understand that buying those will only be usable on a Japanese SE account).

Another question: I read somewhere that buying it from Steam will only e-mail you a code and it won't really be attached to/playable from Steam. How is that different from buying it directly on SE? I guess it really isn't..? lol

Do you play on NA from Japan? How is the connection? I have pretty good internet but I guess that won't help if there is server-sided lag.

Hasney

Steam version of the game appears in your Steam library, but launches a launcher. The code just goes to your SE account as a Steam version of the game, so you couldn't then use it outside of Steam without buying a non-Steam version. The Steam version also comes with the benefit of being able to use Steam wallet to pay for subscription time.

Sora_N

I hope so, because yesterday I spent like 4 hours hunting down shit for a banquet to prove I was ready to face Titan.

By the time I fought Titan I had to not give a shit about story for a while and the boss fight sucked too because of that BS I had to do before fighting him.

I think it's not as bad after that chunk though.

I'm having a lot of fun with Lancer so I didn't finish ARR story yet (around level 45 main story quests). Don't feel any rush yet since I am taking advantage of the current dungeon queues

Dunan

There is so much good stuff in this expansion but the main thing that sticks out for me is that I sometimes forget that I'm playing an MMO. Honestly, it just feels like I'm playing a really good, classic Final Fantasy game. I think the improved story really gives the feeling of a traditional quest with party members at your side.

Totally agreed. Heavensward has, so far, seemed to strike that balance perfectly. I haven't gotten up to any dungeons yet, but have had fun wandering around in the fields and occasionally helping and being helped by other players doing their solo quests, and just today I did a story quest (
entering Halatali with Alphinaud and Yugiri to find and save Raubahn
) where you and two allies go through a dungeon that you've already been through with human party members. It was great. My allies did a fine job, I was able to figure out what had to be done, and the boss was no pushover but we still won handily.

(Given how FF11 has integrated computer-controlled allies for people just starting the game and playing in areas where there are few if any humans to party up with, I wonder if this is a trial run for what this game will be like circa 2025 when the level 15 to 50 dungeons are all empty and everyone has moved on to the Meracydia Expansion, level 99, item level 390, or whatever they will be up to.)

I'm still looking forward to finally seeing a new instanced dungeon but this has been a lot of fun so far. I would love more solo quests that are like this one. In ARR, these battles tended to be of the "in a small enclosed space, within a few seconds, discover the one thing you need to do to win this battle, or you will be overwhelmed and lose" variety. This one was fun but also frustration free and I would love to see more like this.

Next observation: Healing Dark Knights SUCKS. While it is entirely possible every DRK I've have the misfortune of healing sucks, it reminds me of how healing WARs used to be before the patch that put them on more even footing with PLDs. All the DRKs except for one I've run dungeons with make me burn through mana on every pull trying to keep them alive.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Do you think DRK is suitable for MTing?
I am playing the class for a while now, and I feel like it is weaker than WAR and of course, subpar than a PLD.
The toolkits aren't there.
The only upside to the class that it looks awesome. I love the after effect on those sword swings.
But I will probably shelve DRK until I get to 60 on PLD first and hoping for a revamp of the class like what they did for WAR.

DRK can definitely main tank but they are a lot more complicated to play than either WAR or PLD.

Burst hate spike

Grit + Darkside
/ac "Hard Slash" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Spinning Slash" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Dark Arts" <me>
/wait .5
/ac "Power Slash" <t>

Burst Big damage spike + Full mp heal

Drop Grit

In Darkside

/ac "Hard Slash" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Syphon Strike" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Delirium" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Dark Arts" <me>
/wait .5
/ac "Dark Passenger" <t>
wait 1.5
/ac "Blood Weapon" <me>
/wait .5
/ac "Hard Slash" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Syphon Strike" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Souleater" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Grit" <me>
/wait .5
/ac "Blood Price" <me>

Im not saying that should be your macro (I don't like long macros they take you out of the game in my opinion) but its a good idea for what I am using for my basic DRK rotation and having a lot of success. I actually generally use them in the order presented but I also drop Salted Earth on top of me before doing the combos.

My additional Abilities are

Provoke
Bloodbath
Mercy Stroke I swap this one out depending on the situation but always have voke and bb.

As PLD main the main things you notice that are different is that DRKs do a lot more damage but also take more damage. DRK does have two very nice ways to mitigate damage using Dark arts + Dark Dance or Dark Mind Stacked with

Shadowskin
/wait 10
Shadow Wall

and you can be pretty tough to take down also the biggest mistake I see others doing is not riding Blood Price. That ability is on a very short cd and lets you just about spam dark arts abilities

Next observation: Healing Dark Knights SUCKS. While it is entirely possible every DRK I've have the misfortune of healing sucks, it reminds me of how healing WARs used to be before the patch that put them on more even footing with PLDs. All the DRKs except for one I've run dungeons with make me burn through mana on every pull trying to keep them alive.

I said DRK were initially squishy and Galen and someone else laughed at me. Yeah, you can be in some HQ leveling gear and make up for it, but you really do get hit hard without it. Even vit won't really make a difference. I think you just need to be on top of your defensive cd game even during trash when leveling.

I've had mixed experiences healing DRKs, a few were absolutely awful but had shit gear or I assume didn't play correctly(no cooldowns and stuff), a few I had no problems healing. It's a bit hard to tell at this point. I've done The Vault with a DRK tank though and it went fine for example, so I don't think it's like an issue for leveling content, as long as you know what you're doing with it. Endgame is another matter, I don't really know a lot about their skills and how much defense you're looking at and such.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I said DRK were initially squishy and Galen and someone else laughed at me. Yeah, you can be in some HQ leveling gear and make up for it, but you really do get hit hard without it. Even vit won't really make a difference. I think you just need to be on top of your defensive cd game even during trash when leveling.

Most DRKs I run into don't ever touch grit stance, shadowskin, shadowall, dark dance, or dark mind so yes they come across as squishy.

Dunan

Yeah, I mean Japan. There seem to be FFXIV game cards at the konbini so I shouldn't have to use my credit card or PayPal (though I understand that buying those will only be usable on a Japanese SE account).

Do you play on NA from Japan? How is the connection? I have pretty good internet but I guess that won't help if there is server-sided lag.

Yes, the cards you buy from convenience stores are for Japanese accounts and for the Japanese game discs and Japanese PSN digital versions. You won't need a credit card or Paypal if you use those.

I chose to set everything up using the NA versions because I figured that if I liked this game, I might still be coming back to it a decade from now, and who knows if I will still be in Japan, or how possible it will be to make payments to Japan from abroad by then?

The connection seems OK; I've never been dropped. I've experienced lag but confess to not being good enough at the game to get into situations where a few milliseconds of lag make a difference!

Top Bottom