• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Mine shipped from Birmingham, UK, on Thursday afternoon. According to the DHL tracking number, it's currentlly being processed at some parcel centre in Copenhagen. I guess there's a slight chance that it might arrive tomorrow.

Sucks that yours hasn't even shipped yet. When did you pre-order it?

The day it was available. Literally as soon as it went up in the store on March 18th at like 8 AM.

Urgh.

Most DRKs I run into don't ever touch grit stance, shadowskin, shadowall, dark dance, or dark mind so yes they come across as squishy.
Ahh.

I'm gonna hold final judgement partly because I've not touched the class yet so I have no idea yet of what the DRK should be using so its hard to tell if they doing anything right or wrong.

Ayumi

Steam version of the game appears in your Steam library, but launches a launcher. The code just goes to your SE account as a Steam version of the game, so you couldn't then use it outside of Steam without buying a non-Steam version. The Steam version also comes with the benefit of being able to use Steam wallet to pay for subscription time.
Okay, this is actually a very good reason for me to get the Steam version, in case I'm too lazy to go buy game cards or something. lol
Yes, the cards you buy from convenience stores are for Japanese accounts and for the Japanese game discs and Japanese PSN digital versions. You won't need a credit card or Paypal if you use those.

I chose to set everything up using the NA versions because I figured that if I liked this game, I might still be coming back to it a decade from now, and who knows if I will still be in Japan, or how possible it will be to make payments to Japan from abroad by then?

The connection seems OK; I've never been dropped. I've experienced lag but confess to not being good enough at the game to get into situations where a few milliseconds of lag make a difference!
Naruhodo, thank you both for replying! I'll stick with the JPN version then.

suzu

Okay, this is actually a very good reason for me to get the Steam version, in case I'm too lazy to go buy game cards or something. lol

Naruhodo, thank you both for replying! I'll stick with the JPN version then.

Keep in mind that the Steam version locks you into Steam-only for any future expansion purchases. Meaning if you want to buy Heavensward for Windows or from PSN, the key won't work with your base FF14 game from Steam.

Ferr986

You will get ninjutsu to help with SA or TA

you just saw it. So many ninjutsus OMG.

Btw, isn't it weird that the lvl 45 job quest rewards both AF and AF+1 pieces minus the body, and the lvl 50 rewards both body pieces?

Wouldnt be better 1 full set for the 45 quest and the other for the 50 quest? How it is not the regular AF body reward for the 50 quest is totally useless. Doesn't make much sense.

also I want the Ninja chainmail now, looks better than the Koga.

Arkeband

Banned
The worst part about these overlarge, mostly empty zones, is that they're actually pretty fun to navigate with flying, unlike WoW's zones. The Z-axis heights you can get to in Churning Mists is exciting. Everything's designed with flying in mind.

Unfortunately you have to navigate it all on foot first. How many players have you seen trying to climb unscalable rock walls because the level design is non-intuitive for ground navigation? Because there's a LOT of that going on.

One of the chief reasons for this is the minimap is too rudimentary. With these complex new maps with multiple levels, a flat 2D, uncolored minimap is either completely useless or only gives you the roughest idea of where you're going.

"We'll add more to it later" "We wanted to leave ourselves room" is such a lazy cop out. For all of the intricate level design going on, getting to places on foot is clearly an afterthought - as if they said "Can they get to this platform? No? Add a ramp, but make sure it's on the other side so they have to run all the way around first."

Frumix

Suffering From Success
you just saw it. So many ninjutsus OMG.

Btw, isn't it weird that the lvl 45 job quest rewards both AF and AF+1 pieces minus the body, and the lvl 50 rewards both body pieces?

Wouldnt be better 1 full set for the 45 quest and the other for the 50 quest? How it is not the regular AF body reward for the 50 quest is totally useless. Doesn't make much sense.

also I want the Ninja chainmail now, looks better than the Koga.

They just added AF+1 to class quests, that's all they did. Originally they weren't there. You can't even wear i55 body till you're 50.

jorgeton

There is so much good stuff in this expansion but the main thing that sticks out for me is that I sometimes forget that I'm playing an MMO. Honestly, it just feels like I'm playing a really good, classic Final Fantasy game. I think the improved story really gives the feeling of a traditional quest with party members at your side.

Totally agree. Outside of the couple of times that the game has required me to party up, it's been my favorite solo FF experience since probably XII. It's brilliant they essentially give you a party to run the story with. And I really love how Falcon's Nest reminds me of Narshe from FF6

Totally agreed. Heavensward has, so far, seemed to strike that balance perfectly. I haven't gotten up to any dungeons yet, but have had fun wandering around in the fields and occasionally helping and being helped by other players doing their solo quests, and just today I did a story quest (
entering Halatali with Alphinaud and Yugiri to find and save Raubahn
) where you and two allies go through a dungeon that you've already been through with human party members. It was great. My allies did a fine job, I was able to figure out what had to be done, and the boss was no pushover but we still won handily.

That whole sequence has been my favorite so far. I really like the instanced quests, a nice change of pace from the "go here, kill X/X" story quests ARR was surfeit with.

Level 51 story spoilers:
The trial by combat sequence was so well done. A highlight for sure

Sidebar: So many Game of Thrones references in this game. It's pretty funny.

Unfortunately you have to navigate it all on foot first. How many players have you seen trying to climb unscalable rock walls because the level design is non-intuitive for ground navigation? Because there's a LOT of that going on.

I think that's one of the highlights of the game. You have to explore the area and figure out how to reach aether currents. It gives exploration meaning and purpose and its rewarding when you are able to finally fly over everything.

T.O.P

Banned
Most DRKs I run into don't ever touch grit stance, shadowskin, shadowall, dark dance, or dark mind so yes they come across as squishy.

I found Grit to be a must when pulling big group of mobs, i had way too many healers sweating their ass off to keep me alive...but i still don't know how AST work tbh, so i might be overthinking it

Menome

Quick Question: I'm seeing a couple of mixed reports on other sites: Is Astrologian only unlockable once you reach a certain level and have completed the main storyline? It was a Job that finally made me consider jumping into the game, but might grumble a bit if it's locked away.

kaioshade

Quick Question: I'm seeing a couple of mixed reports on other sites: Is Astrologian only unlockable once you reach a certain level and have completed the main storyline? It was a Job that finally made me consider jumping into the game, but might grumble a bit if it's locked away.

All of the new classes require clearing the entirety of the story in A Realm Reborn.

Reishiki

Banned

The Astrologian's guild is in Ishgard, which you can only reach after finishing the vanilla game's story quests, which require you to be level 50.

Yes because the person to get the Astrologian job quest from is in an area that's unlocked in the expansion that you can only access once you complete the main story line up to that point.

I found Grit to be a must when pulling big group of mobs, i had way too many healers sweating their ass off to keep me alive...but i still don't know how AST work tbh, so i might be overthinking it

I don't see how it is possible to tank 50+ content without using Grit 100% of the time.

I have also found that swapping my primary combo rotation from enmity to the MP/HP combo has helped immensely.

You really want to keep the darkness buff up at all times.

Menome

All of the new classes require clearing the entirety of the story in A Realm Reborn.

The Astrologian's guild is in Ishgard, which you can only reach after finishing the vanilla game's story quests, which require you to be level 50.

Yes because the person to get the Astrologian job quest from is in an area that's unlocked in the expansion that you can only access once you complete the main story line up to that point.

That settles that then. Thanks for the clarification!

AgeEighty

level 60 MNK \o/

Nice. I've only hit 58, but I am loving all my new skills. Not sure how much utility I'll get out of Purification, especially with Invigorate on CC, but the rest are awesome. I've been ripping through dungeon mob groups with Rockbreaker/Elixir Field/Howling Fist/Forbidden Chakra.

My friends and I were just commenting last night about how we really enjoy that in the game - we like the puzzles for how to get up to some place, trying to scale mountains, find tunnels or trees to cross or whatever,

Ferr986

They just added AF+1 to class quests, that's all they did. Originally they weren't there. You can't even wear i55 body till you're 50.

Yeah I know how was before, it's just that I think it would be better if they changed the regular AF body to lvl 45 and give it with the other parts, and then give the new set for the 50 quest.

Well, whatever, just a nitpick.

Razzorn34

Malick[AI];169391608 said:
I don't see how it is possible to tank 50+ content without using Grit 100% of the time.

I have also found that swapping my primary combo rotation from enmity to the MP/HP combo has helped immensely.

You really want to keep the darkness buff up at all times.

This. Emnity really isn't an issue for DRK. But MP is. Managing MP and using Dark Arts efficiently will be the key.

Arkeband

Banned
I think that's one of the highlights of the game. You have to explore the area and figure out how to reach aether currents. It gives exploration meaning and purpose and its rewarding when you are able to finally fly over everything.

Things like "Where is the Moggle Masterpiece?" because the minimap is completely unhelpful in navigating that outpost is indicative of what I'm talking about.

I've had few problems finding Aether Currents because when in doubt, "find another way around" is fine, but "finding another way around" even when questing or trying to get from one side of the map to another is very frustrating. What happens when you don't take the bridge in the center of WCH, and you fall down? They could have designed ramps at some point to easily get you back up.

Unfortunately the quickest way to get back up is to teleport back to the start of the zone. This is not good level design.

There are areas where the design is good. The Anyx(?) is one example, it is multi-tiered with holes in the floor so you can quickly drop back down on foot, and fly up through them for convenience if you have flying. Perfect. Awesome. More of that please.

My friends and I were just commenting last night about how we really enjoy that in the game - we like the puzzles for how to get up to some place, trying to scale mountains, find tunnels or trees to cross or whatever,

I haven't been to the last two zones yet, but so far nothing has actually been a 'puzzle'. Guild Wars 2 had jumping puzzles and besides the controls being kind of shit, they were generally well designed. Every single area that you're supposed to get to on foot in FFXIV has an intended way of getting to, the trouble is actually finding it, because your minimap is nearly useless and the intended ramp is usually on the opposite side of where you're currently failing to escalate.

Skyrim had mountains you could shimmy up. You weren't supposed to, but you could. You aren't supposed to here either, but often times they're unintentionally designed to look like maybe they could be...

tariniel

I just hit 54 on my Summoner and I don't really understand Ruin 3 at all. It's 500+ mana for 120 potency? I mean maybe for some burst on a short fight when I know MP won't be an issue, but for a boss fight of any length I can't see it being that good. Maybe there will be more skills later that enhance it or something, but for now, it's pretty disappoint.

Ayumi

Keep in mind that the Steam version locks you into Steam-only for any future expansion purchases. Meaning if you want to buy Heavensward for Windows or from PSN, the key won't work with your base FF14 game from Steam.

That's fine, I don't mind since it's not a priority right now anyway.

Any chance of a FFXIV base game sale soon since the expansion is coming tomorrow?

Arkeband

Banned
I just hit 54 on my Summoner and I don't really understand Ruin 3 at all. It's 500+ mana for 120 potency? I mean maybe for some burst on a short fight when I know MP won't be an issue, but for a boss fight of any length I can't see it being that good. Maybe there will be more skills later that enhance it or something, but for now, it's pretty disappoint.

I think Ruin 3 is supposed to be used in conjunction with Bahamut Trans. I'm not a summoner so I don't have specifics, but I remember reading that the MP cost or cast time or something gets drastically reduced for a period of time.

Fiorelle, my level 60 MNK, and Jeff the Chocobo!

nv6WajT.jpg

I need to get my Laws hat so I can glamour the Spotted Fedora onto it

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Early access ends tomorrow right?
That means I'll finally get my griffin <3
No, it ends on the 27th. Th game officially launches tomorrow though so if you bought the CE version you should get your CE key/mount tomorrow.

IMBored

Fiorelle, my level 60 MNK, and Jeff the Chocobo!

I need to get my Laws hat so I can glamour the Spotted Fedora onto it

The chocobo is looking at you like he wants to kill you for making it wear that. One day you'll be flying in the chocobo forest and he'll make you fall to reunite with his wild siblings.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
No, it ends on the 27th. Th game officially launches tomorrow though so if you bought the CE version you should get your CE key/mount tomorrow.

Early Access ends on the 27 ? Damn, i might as well sell my Heavensward code then and just keep playing on EA until then.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Early Access ends on the 27 ? Damn, i might as well sell my Heavensward code then and just keep playing on EA until then.

End of Early Access

Early access will end on Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. in the time zone for the registered account’s region. Please register the full registration code/promotion code for FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward before this time to continue playing after the Early Access period.

* Users who pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 download version will already be fully registered from the time they pre-ordered the game, so they will not need to register a separate promotion code.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/cebcb45223906c06e74e0b62c2723b86c22fee5f

Make sure you log out in an ARR zone otherwise you'll need to register a Heavensward code to regain access to your character.

scy

In Dreadwyrm Trance the cost drops down to the same as Ruin 1. So during that it's just straight up +50% damage vs Ruin 1/2.

Having ran across some of the new jobs while running dungeons...AST seem okay but I'm not sure how they would do in endgame healing just yet because the dungeons I've done so far are kind of a joke. At least the AST I've run across seem competent. MCN...eh, they seem kind of weak but it maybe I just ran into an okay one. DRK's seem to be competent enough, ran into one that kinda struggle with aggro but I'm a NIN and my dread weapons laughed at whatever he had.

rubius01

Undersized Parties is the best part of the expansion. Just... being able to do dumb stuff like that, on a whim, without having to talk anyone into it.

So you one-shotted the heart.... I was wondering how you skipped past the goals. I tried the story primals at lv50 war and couldn't beat titan. Curious what your hp was at the end.

BTW, its pretty annoying that I have to flush my DNS every time I want to connect to a data center.

Stuart444

So I've spent all of today just doing the side quests in Dravanian Forelands (and the main story quests of course) right up to the next dungeon/first mandatory dungeon.

Gotta say, I loved the
baby dragon side quest, Kal.

Also I love how
the dragons aren't all treated as the most evil creatures around. It's interesting doing side quests for them.

Also did Ravana today (Link) and got to say, it was a fun fight. Died once to Swift Slaughter because I wasn't paying attention and once because I decided it would be a wonderful idea to stand in front of the boss, get hit and then go back for more instead of moving to the side/behind him haha.

Still really enjoyed the Ravana fight. Also LOVED the bit where
Shiva fought Ravana. That was awesome.

Athreous

Please, how the hell I reach Ok Vundo Mok by foot? in Sea of Clouds...

I did the quests, I'm 57, the problem is that I can't find the stairs =(

Should reach 60 before the end of the week.

Currently 3/4 of the way to 57.

I feel like Divine Veil is not as good as it could be for DF at least. You can pop it followed by your healer not doing anything even if a big party wide attack is coming. Would be more useful if you could use Clemency to activate it yourself.

Please, how the hell I reach Ok Vundo Mok by foot? in Sea of Clouds...

I did the quests, I'm 57, the problem is that I can't find the stairs =(

Why on foot? You can get all the currents without going there, at least I didn't. The currents are in Ok Vundu Vana, as for the quests it's a couple in those fat birds village and one in the low level village, as well as MSQs.

Kenai

I haven't got the new expansion yet, but I do keep hearing the new VAs aren't exactly up to the standards of the core game.

The only one I haven't preferred over the old voices so far is the Admiral. Alph, Midgard, Iceheart, Raub all sound as good or better to me.

All the new characters sound fine too. i am pretty sure it's personal preference rather than some objective criteria not being met.

Allard

I haven't got the new expansion yet, but I do keep hearing the new VAs aren't exactly up to the standards of the core game.

Far from it, the new VA's imo are excellent and well executed, the issue is I find some of the Voice Actors from the first game more 'fitting' for the character like Urianger. But the actual direction of the voice work is far and away better then the original ARR save for a few select voices.

Squishy3

Some are better, some are worse. It's all personal preference, at the end of the day.

Square-Enix's voice direction is rather poor recently though. I had traumatic flashbacks of Type-0 when I met a character after completing Sohm Al.

Top Bottom