• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

ebil

That whole glamour system is so damn stupid though. Even FFXI does it much more elegantly. I'm still hoping for a significant revamp in the future.

What don't you like about it?

My only real compliant about it was multipiece armors, which is getting changed in 3.1 and the fact the glamour item has to stay in your armory.

I mean sure you have to buy prisms, but I'm okay with that as I'm not okay with them drying up a reliable revenue stream for crafters.

dramatis

My only real compliant about it was multipiece armors, which is getting changed in 3.1 and the fact the glamour item has to stay in your armory.

I mean sure you have to buy prisms, but I'm okay with that as I'm not okay with them drying up a reliable revenue stream for crafters.
You don't actually need the glamour item after you've cast it over the piece of gear you want. Unless you want to use the glamour item in the future, you can just get rid of it.

ebil

I find it to be a hassle when you're making entire glamour sets. Item level isn't written on the clear prisms for whatever reason so you have to check your recipe every time you want to buy clear prisms (or remember the ilv table Drama posted but I'm personally bad at that). Need to craft the right type, right grade prism for each prism so you need to check the individual pieces of gear you want to glamour and write it down or remember it (which I'm still bad at). Did we really need five grades of the same item? It's so inelegant they had to and will have to keep updating the prisms with new item level ranges whenever the level cap goes up.

You also need to keep your actual gear pieces if you want to use them later on or drop them again. They had to create new items to make invisible glamour possible. For a game where the devs play the "memory limitation" and data card so often, they sure don't seem that concerned about inventory and data clutter. But it's OK, they can sell extra retainers that way.

I just find the whole system too busy and it all comes down to inventory clutter as far as I'm concerned.

By comparison, FF11 lets you just equip the gear you want to have on, type the /lockstyle command and you're good to go until you want to change the way you look.

I personally wish they'd just copy GW2's Wardrobe system, which would make it viable to just collect gear for glamour (and would add some shelf life to older content), since gear doesn't serve any other purpose once you have outleveled it. It's not even a stable revenue stream for crafters (has it ever really been?) now that the prisms are all over the dungeons anyway.

Valor

It's not even a stable revenue stream for crafters (has it ever really been?) now that the prisms are all over the dungeons anyway.

That's not necessarily true. It actually makes it an even better revenue stream for crafters, albeit at a small pace. Basically because the clear prisms are literally everywhere you can get them for pennies on the marketboard for crafting purposes. If you have the pieces needed to make the right type of glamour prism you can flip that prism you bought for 10 gil for 8k. People buy glamours all the time.

So for the 1st time ever I let my subscription lapse. How long until I lose ownership of my FC?
If a free company master has not logged in for 35 days, the leadership will automatically be transferred to the member who fulfills the below criteria: Has logged in within the past 7 days The highest ranking member in the free company hierarchy Earliest member to join the free company
Once the leadership has been transferred to a member, the old master will become a “member.” This option is currently scheduled for implementation in patch 2.2 for anyone who would like to take advantage. Devin "Camate" Casadey

ebil

That's not necessarily true. It actually makes it an even better revenue stream for crafters, albeit at a small pace. Basically because the clear prisms are literally everywhere you can get them for pennies on the marketboard for crafting purposes. If you have the pieces needed to make the right type of glamour prism you can flip that prism you bought for 10 gil for 8k. People buy glamours all the time.
Fair enough, I mixed the clear prisms (I hate them so much) from the dungeons with the obscene amount of actual glamour prisms I got from 3.0 MSQ in my rant.

TRI Mike

I play BLM and yesterday I was in the Fractal Continuum with another BLM who kept being able to spam both Fire IV and Blizzard IV. How was she doing this¿ I asked and never got a reply from the player.

As far as I'm concerned, Fire and Blizzard IV don't restart the Astral Fire/Umbral Ice status like the I-III spells do so I only have enough time to cast three of the powerful spells if I use the last via Swiftcast (four if I'm inside Ley Lines). Yet, this player kept spamming them one after the other while I had to rely on casting Fire I, hoping to get the free Fire III as usual.

Can any other fellow BLM help me with this¿ What's the trick to keeping Umbral Ice or Astral Fire while Enochian is up¿

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
CObWVceWIAAuG9w.png:large

The Forums.txt twitter account is more entertaining than the actual game right now.

I play BLM and yesterday I was in the Fractal Continuum with another BLM who kept being able to spam both Fire IV and Blizzard IV. How was she doing this¿ I asked and never got a reply from the player.

As far as I'm concerned, Fire and Blizzard IV don't restart the Astral Fire/Umbral Ice status like the I-III spells do so I only have enough time to cast three of the powerful spells if I use the last via Swiftcast (four if I'm inside Ley Lines). Yet, this player kept spamming them one after the other while I had to rely on casting Fire I, hoping to get the free Fire III as usual.

Can any other fellow BLM help me with this¿ What's the trick to keeping Umbral Ice or Astral Fire while Enochian is up¿

People who actually know what they're talking would probably answer this better than me but as far as I know, with current stats you have to cast 1 Fire 1 every 2 Fire 4s to refresh AF3 during the AF phases. Or, if you have a Firestarter proc (during the opener and when your cooldowns are up), you can cast 3 Fire 4s followed by it. In the UI phases, you'll only cast 1 Thunder, 1 Blizzard 4 and go back to AF3.

On that note, can we say that the changes to BLM in 3.0 are about just as jarring as the BRD ones, please?

TRI Mike

People who actually know what they're talking would probably answer this better than me but as far as I know, with current stats you have to cast 1 Fire 1 every 2 Fire 4s to refresh AF3 during the AF phases. Or, if you have a Firestarter proc (during the opener and when your cooldowns are up), you can cast 3 Fire 4s followed by it. In the UI phases, you'll only cast 1 Thunder, 1 Blizzard 4 and go back to AF3.

On that note, can we say that the changes to BLM in 3.0 are about just as jarring as the BRD ones, please?

Holy shit I am retarded, why didn't I think of that¿ Naturally, casting a Fire/Blizzard I would restart the status so I can keep spamming the IV spells as long as Enochian is up. Jesus, I feel stupid.

Regarding the changes, I actually like BLM much better now. Ley Lines, Enochian, Sharpcast, Fire IV and Blizz IV make the job more interesting to play. I just wish we had a stronger AOE ice spell because Freeze sucks balls. I also want an AOE thunder (Thundaga pls¿). I know they're coming in the future though.

Holy shit I am retarded, why didn't I think of that¿ Naturally, casting a Fire/Blizzard I would restart the status so I can keep spamming the IV spells as long as Enochian is up. Jesus, I feel stupid.

Regarding the changes, I actually like BLM much better now. Ley Lines, Enochian, Sharpcast, Fire IV and Blizz IV make the job more interesting to play. I just wish we had a stronger AOE ice spell because Freeze sucks balls. I also want an AOE thunder (Thundaga pls¿). I know they're coming in the future though.

It is more interesting, and I don't really dislike it (I'm sure I'll enjoy it more with more spell speed though), but the moment you learn Fire IV it feels like the play style changes abruptly. Procs are situational and failing to mantain the buffs is extremely punishing.

IvorB

Not really that jarring to be honest. It's a more complex extension of what black mage was always about. It's not a complete change in play-style. It has become a lot more situational though.

Just watch your Astral Fire timer. When you see it's getting low you need to cast a spell that refreshes it to continue casting Fire IV or if you are at a point where you are about to go into ice stage then you can squeeze another Fire IV as long as you start your Blizzard III cast with enough time left to give you the sped up Blizzard III cast. If you leave it too long you won't get your Fire I out in time and you will be stuck with only one stack of Astral Fire.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I got WM on my bard recently. I just returned to the game so I was not expecting this. It seems like it completely changes the play style of the class.

Anyways...am I going to be expected to use this all the time in groups? It feels like in a lot of fights I have to move a lot so I would actually do more DPS without it, but I probably don't know what I am talking about...?

The Forums.txt twitter account is more entertaining than the actual game right now.

Jeez, it's like they don't know the obvious? By that I mean YoshiP already admitted ARR borrowed from WoW and other popular MMOs becuse the 1.0 team headed by Tanaka were living inside a bubble when they designed the game, and the only thing inside that bubble was FF XI.

I got WM on my bard recently. I just returned to the game so I was not expecting this. It seems like it completely changes the play style of the class.

Anyways...am I going to be expected to use this all the time in groups? It feels like in a lot of fights I have to move a lot so I would actually do more DPS without it, but I probably don't know what I am talking about...?

They removed the cast to put it on, so do not be afraid to play around with it and take it off for a section on the fight that requires movement, then pop it instantly back on to do more damage.

Isaccard

Yeah, Seal Rock is pretty fun. I'm almost to rank 43 after sitting at Rank 33 for a long time.

I honestly believe the RNG nature of Seal Rock is what allows Flames to get more wins than they're used to. I hate to admit it but if it wasn't for that Failstrum would probably wreck everytime because they just seemingly have stronger players.
or a shit ton of fucking summoners and warriors, or a hive mind, whichever comes first

WolvenOne

I'll admit to being, "reluctant," to get into PVP. Not because it doesn't look like it could be fun, but because I'd need to make use of PVP skills to be good at it. I don't want to rearrange my crossbars whenever I PVP. Maybe after I get another class leveled up I can just arrange it for PVPing, but until then....

There-it-is.jpg

Saw that, and I'm inclined to agree somewhat. I mean between the relatively low rate of people clearing A3S, and the fact that the bulk of people clearing A4S at this point had to cheese a mechanic to get it....

...just a smidge too high.

I don't know if anybody has had this problem but just picked up crafting again for my Ixal dailies and my cross-class skills are all messed up. Like some of them when you use them I get the message "Cannot use yet". Also sometimes it will say 6/0 additional skills in the Actions & Traits menu. Sometimes logging in and out helps but it's inconsistent. This problem is across PS4 and PC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I honestly believe the RNG nature of Seal Rock is what allows Flames to get more wins than they're used to. I hate to admit it but if it wasn't for that Failstrum would probably wreck everytime because they just seemingly have stronger players.
or a shit ton of fucking summoners and warriors, or a hive mind, whichever comes first

That and often times I see Mael and Adder go after each other and leave us alone, allowing us to get the win.

The Playboy Interview for those who want to read it all (Please link to this type of stuff when quoting from it if you can, pet peeve of mine).

“Even for the hardcore players most of us feel that Alexander Savage was tuned a little too high,” Gouka admitted. “Maybe something that takes two to three weeks is fine, but when you’re spending an entire month essentially on the same fight it gets a little bit ridiculous.”

QMzIJLr.gif

Ken

“On that second week, a lot of us had to go back to work,” Coldey said. “Then the next week another guy had to go to work and our hours were cut back again. So you spend a lot less time actually raiding, but you want to be productive in the downtime so a lot of that is collecting consumables [like potions] we might need and reviewing a lot of footage. You’d come back from work and there would be detailed spreadsheets for timings of the fight that people had worked hours and hours on.”

Probably the better takeaway from the article than that Alex is overturned.

That and often times I see Mael and Adder go after each other and leave us alone, allowing us to get the win.

Wait, what? Primal flames have a massive hard on for focusing on Adders the entire match, even when they are in last place and have little chance of mounting a comeback, nah, GOTTA KILL ADDERS. While Mael sits and afk's to a win.

WolvenOne

Wait, what? Primal flames have a massive hard on for focusing on Adders the entire match, even when they are in last place and have little chance of mounting a comeback, nah, GOTTA KILL ADDERS. While Mael sits and afk's to a win.

I've seen it go all sorts of different ways. The thing you need to remember is that in Seal Rock, most players just follow the lead of a handful of players. So if a handful of players are determined to go after X, Y, or Z, you'll get a lot of other players doing the same.

Wazzy

Banned
So I'm back on Ultros and just joined Balamb Garden which is cool. I think they're pretty active so hopefully once I hit 60 raid progression will happen frequently.
Only two groups have cleared A3 on Ultros... I mean that says a lot right there.

Who's cleared it so far on Ultros?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I'm back on Ultros and just joined Balamb Garden which is cool. I think they're pretty active so hopefully once I hit 60 raid progression will happen frequently.

A group from Awake and a group from Awake/Spike Flail.

Squishy3

What iLvl should I be for BisEx? Just hit 60 a few days ago. Currently ilvl 147 and starting the grind to get 170 with law.
Most PF groups will have the ilvl around ~170ish because there's less of a margin of error for DPS at that ilvl.

If you're DPS make sure your rotation is on point too, because the entire fight hinges on you being able to push out those numbers. If you're a tank, not much to worry about outside of the tank swap. (And for the love of god don't run into a tornado during the tank swap.)

If you're a healer, save the AOE heals for after the tanks establish aggro on the snakes, choose which side each healer is going to heal during the snakes phase, picking which tank you're going to heal isn't ideal because the tanks switch sides, this way the healers stay on one side versus switching sides with the tanks.

Make sure you understand how the weather phases work during phase 3 as well, because this is also the easiest part yet hardest part because people don't remember how to do actual mechanics after the DPS race that are the first two phases of the fight.
thunder = don't group up, don't kill water bubbles

wind = kill water bubbles, stand in middle when you see water aoe markers appear on the ground, a knockback occurs (paladins can ignore this mechanic entirely) you then need to run back to the middle after the knockback to avoid a damage aoe

water = kill water bubbles, avoid center due to massive splash aoe

and one more thing, bismarck's stagger is unavoidable and you can be comboed into stagger + adds knockback move, so have bismarck visible so you can see when he's dipping to hit the island so you can position yourself to not get knocked off.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Quick question can you save two different pre sets of Cross bar settings for the same Job/Class? My Cross Bar on my Bard feels cluttered so I want to make a pre set for non Wanderer's Minuet Runs (2.X content etc) and another one for Wanderer's Minuet.

Wazzy

Banned
A group from Awake and a group from Awake/Spike Flail.

Ahhhh thanks! I've never seen Awake but know about Spike Flail.

I'm a bit used to WoW allowing you to see top Raid Guilds but XIV rank system doesn't work that way so I was wondering who the top were on Ultros.

docbon

If no one takes the reins on commanding the alliance, who each faction attacks is determined almost entirely by the node spawns, and the direction traveled from the previous node to the next. There's honestly no greater narrative going on.

You can't even cultivate any sort of rivalry in this game due to the matchmaking across 11 different servers, and no cross faction chat.

Valor

Quick question can you save two different pre sets of Cross bar settings for the same Job/Class? My Cross Bar on my Bard feels cluttered so I want to make a pre set for non Wanderer's Minuet Runs (2.X content etc) and another one for Wanderer's Minuet.

I mean you could probably set a macro to Wanderer's Minuet so that when you use it you change one of your bars to another one using copy and all that. The issue would be you'd be basically using two of your hotbars for WM and non WM and at that point I would just switch to one or the other based on the content.

suzu

Wazzzy. I've never got to play with you; we're always online at different hours. ;_;

Jayhawk

WAZZY IS IN THE SAME FC AS JAYHAWK! I forgot to ask you to OPTC barrel break in recent weeks.

I always knew hardcore raiders got all the chicks.

You had your chance this past week and you blew it. Go with Red and Shake to those places mentioned in that Reddit thread.

Top Bottom