• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

Overall I'd consider Seal Rock to be a big step in the right direction, buuuut it's still not where it needs to be yet.

RNG is a bit too heavily wieghted, something needs to mitigate it somewhat.

72 man is still too big, not really sure what the solution here is tho.

Certain classes are a bit unbalanced, and I still feel like melee classes are a bit disadvantaged.

There probably should be cross GC chat, even if it's limited.

Wazzy

Banned
Wazzzy. I've never got to play with you; we're always online at different hours. ;_;
Ugh we never did! I was wondering if you were still active D: But hey, I'm going to be on a lot more so we can def play together at some point!
WAZZY IS IN THE SAME FC AS JAYHAWK! I forgot to ask you to OPTC barrel break in recent weeks.

You had your chance this past week and you blew it. Go with Red and Shake to those places mentioned in that Reddit thread.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you're in BG? Hell yessssssssssssss

Also I've been playing OPTC less often which has meant less BB :(

Level 58 sucks. These hinterland quests that make me run back to town 80 billion times are terrible :/

What makes it worse is apparently at one point Idyllshire was connected to the hinterlands zone itself like Mor Dhona before they changed it during development. Apparently it was a congestion issue that they couldn't fix. I think that was the answer given from live letter 23, or maybe it was 24 I don't remember but it was a fan question at the time.

I stopped going to hunts in the hinterlands for that reason alone myself. They're supposed to be working on some kind of fix though apparently.

Omni

Level 58 sucks. These hinterland quests that make me run back to town 80 billion times are terrible :/

I still need to unlock flying there... but man. It's so incredibly boring scouring the map for those currents. I hope if they continue on with flying mounts in the future the tweak it a bit.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What makes it worse is apparently at one point Idyllshire was connected to the hinterlands zone itself like Mor Dhona before they changed it during development. Apparently it was a congestion issue that they couldn't fix. I think that was the answer given from live letter 23, or maybe it was 24 I don't remember but it was a fan question at the time.

I stopped going to hunts in the hinterlands for that reason alone myself. They're supposed to be working on some kind of fix though apparently.

Bagpipes are the anti-congestion measure.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Ehhh I found out I could use the
/hotbar change
macro to achieve what I wanted but in the end I decided against it and simply moved my stuff around Crossbar to better suit both situations when I can or can't use Wanderer's Minuet but thanks for the suggestion anyways Valor.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I honestly believe the RNG nature of Seal Rock is what allows Flames to get more wins than they're used to. I hate to admit it but if it wasn't for that Failstrum would probably wreck everytime because they just seemingly have stronger players.
or a shit ton of fucking summoners and warriors, or a hive mind, whichever comes first
I just don't get it, when I was with Flames I got easy queues, but tons of losses and lots of teammates ignoring orders as Mael just snuck around. So I think "let me switch to Mael, surely I'll win!" Nope, Flames come out on top now. I know it's not me cause I'm often top 3 heals and when I was DPSing in Flames I stuck with the team and came out positive in kills. what do, what do
People might disagree, but I'd say 170-175. Even though it unlocks first. Bis Ex is way harder then Rav Ex.
Still haven't cleared Ravana, can't seem to form or find a clear group and he seems a lot simpler than Pepto Bismarck.

Squishy3

today i learned my AF2 pants put me below the accuracy cap and i never noticed because i hadn't been running content where that'd be an issue

came to my attention when botd ran out despite me not mistiming a geirskogul when doing ravana ex. guess i'm getting drg chest next week instead of a piece this week

WolvenOne

Meh, Secure was actually really good but the job balancing came too late.

Well, there's a bit less turtling in Seal Rock. In Secure it often felt like the GC that secured the most camp points in the first minute or so was probably going to win, seeing as it was hard to get groups out of a site once they were hunkered in.

Overall you're right, but in this case I was comparing it to the mess that was known as Slaughter.

Ken

Well, there's a bit less turtling in Seal Rock. In Secure it often felt like the GC that secured the most camp points in the first minute or so was probably going to win, seeing as it was hard to get groups out of a site once they were hunkered in.

Overall you're right, but in this case I was comparing it to the mess that was known as Slaughter.

Only reason turtling worked was because stacking healers was an unbreakable wall.

WolvenOne

Only reason turtling worked was because stacking healers was an unbreakable wall.

Yeeeeah, I can count the times I managed to break one of those walls with the fingers on one hand. Having camp points spawn randomly mostly solves that problem, but introduces an RNG element that can heavily skew outcomes. Not sure how to solve it though, I mean without fundamentally changing the layout or spawn system. Maybe adding some mob with a massive HP pool that moved around the island randomly that you could kill for points...

...that sounds kinda weird tho.

Ken

http://youtu.be/Ap-_wHqcLec

From the reddits

-----

Yeeeeah, I can count the times I managed to break one of those walls with the fingers on one hand. Having camp points spawn randomly mostly solves that problem, but introduces an RNG element that can heavily skew outcomes. Not sure how to solve it though, I mean without fundamentally changing the layout or spawn system. Maybe adding some mob with a massive HP pool that moved around the island randomly that you could kill for points...

...that sounds kinda weird tho.

Secure solved it by having center adds spawn at (for the most part) timed intervals, forcing map movement without the RNG. If Square actually cared about making Secure a long-lasting playlist, Slaughter shouldn't exist and maybe FL Roulette would actually be a roulette instead of being Seize/the hot new thing 99% of the time.

dcye

People might disagree, but I'd say 170-175. Even though it unlocks first. Bis Ex is way harder then Rav Ex.

I strongly disagree with that statement. BIS EX has a much tighter dps check but there's basically no mechanics apart from that. It's a piece of cake. At least Rav has mechanics that people need to do properly or you wipe.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I strongly disagree with that statement. BIS EX has a much tighter dps check but there's basically no mechanics apart from that. It's a piece of cake. At least Rav has mechanics that people need to do properly or you wipe.

Bismarck and his cronies loves to spam AOE which makes it difficult for... well, everybody really. Ravana meanwhile likes to stand in one place and do nothing for 15 seconds at a time. If you aren't like that one guy I met in PF who said that "his head goes blank when these complicated mechanics happen", Ravana should be easier.

a group on odin has already cleared A4S. i don't keep track on these things. they mentioned it in my pvp linkshell.

hopefully they'll keep this hard. the easymode is already in. yoshi will probably casul it soon though, because casul.

Qvoth

anybody here managed to use guildwork while on dx11?
kept getting error says can't work because the game was run on administrator even though i just double clicked normall instead of right click > run as administrator

Sifl

I guess the dps check is why I think it's harder. It's not hard to learn Rav's rotation, but with Bis Ex it can be difficult to put up good dps with the constant dodging you have to do. Also it helps that 2/3 of the fight is the same every time you do it, and the last 1/3 is just the same mechanics from earlier in a random order.

aceface

With Ravana EX, once you get Swift Liberation and Final Liberation down, you're golden. Those are the only hard part of the fight.

Sifl

With Ravana EX, once you get Swift Liberation and Final Liberation down, you're golden. Those are the only hard part of the fight.
Like 80% of the time when my groups wiped on Final Lib, it was because the preyed people ran through everyone getting to A or C, accidentally passing it off. Everytime I see it
happen I try to warn people and just run away from B cause I know everyone's gonna die.

dcye

I guess the dps check is why I think it's harder. It's not hard to learn Rav's rotation, but with Bis Ex it can be difficult to put up good dps with the constant dodging you have to do. Also it helps that 2/3 of the fight is the same every time you do it, and the last 1/3 is just the same mechanics from earlier in a random order.

It's not like its a hard dps check though, our first kill as a group was at an average of like ilvl150. Our SCH was like 145 haha.

Sifl

It's not like its a hard dps check though, our first kill as a group was at an average of like ilvl150. Our SCH was like 145 haha.
My server must be an alternate reality then, lol. Sometimes when I see a pf for Bis Ex I try to help people clear it. These
groups have people with Eso weapons, Alex armor and some of the groups our dps was absolutely abysmal. Like 30% left on the shell abysmal.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When I was clearing I was in groups with i170-175 that couldn't pass the check, you got lucky.

BPBiorr

Hey guys lapsed player here, did they ever get around to implementing EU based servers? I used to play on Leviathan but lag made mudras impossible to do in clutch situations. Knowing that Levi was an American based server I switched to Odin thinking we'll it says EU so it must be european based right? Wrong. I think all the servers are based in Canada, well they were when I last checked has this changed since?

ebil

Hey guys lapsed player here, did they ever get around to implementing EU based servers? I used to play on Leviathan but lag made mudras impossible to do in clutch situations. Knowing that Levi was an American based server I switched to Odin thinking we'll it says EU so it must be european based right? Wrong. I think all the servers are based in Canada, well they were when I last checked has this changed since?
The servers are still located in Montreal but EU Data center is scheduled to be moved to Europe some time in October.

Sifl

Anything I need to know as a Black Mage going into Stone Vigil?
On the 2nd boss fight, unless there is another ranged character you will probably have to use a harpoon/turret thing at the end of the room. It depends where the tank is tanking the boss.

Valor

<elitism>
It's a bit embarrassing that people say Bismarck has a rough DPS check. People need to learn how to DPS competently.
</elitism>

Gear helps out in both Bis and Rav EX, and I cannot fathom how people could think Bismarck is harder than Ravana. I guess at this gear level Ravana is easier because of his defense down stages? I haven't fought him in a long time. I think there are more people stuck on Bismarck than on Ravana, so you'll end up getting more competent players if you go for Ravana fights than for Bismarck, which could lead you to the assumption that Bismarck is harder.

WolvenOne

<elitism>
It's a bit embarrassing that people say Bismarck has a rough DPS check. People need to learn how to DPS competently.
</elitism>

Gear helps out in both Bis and Rav EX, and I cannot fathom how people could think Bismarck is harder than Ravana. I guess at this gear level Ravana is easier because of his defense down stages? I haven't fought him in a long time. I think there are more people stuck on Bismarck than on Ravana, so you'll end up getting more competent players if you go for Ravana fights than for Bismarck, which could lead you to the assumption that Bismarck is harder.

Ravana's mechanics are harder, but for anyone in a class where moving and DPSing is an issue, Bismark is going to be annoying.

queue for high roulette, see group fighting kraken with low hp from outside. 240k exp. so lazy.

not yet. they were were supposed to be in for the expansion. gotta have to wait a few more months i guess. oh i see it was already answered.

Sifl

There's a lot to remember with Rav Ex, but once you know everything that's going to happen the fight is easy. Not trying to be elitist, I just think you can be less engaged doing Rav Ex then Bis Ex, as long as you know everything that's gonna happen. Whenever I do Bis Ex I go into focus mode, Rav Ex can honestly put me to sleep.
Edit:
I think there are more people stuck on Bismarck than on Ravana, so you'll end up getting more competent players if you go for Ravana fights than for Bismarck, which could lead you to the assumption that Bismarck is harder.
Might also be this.

iammeiam

At appropriate iLevel, Bismarck was way easier than Ravana. Maybe over gearing makes Ravana super cheesable, but my second Bis EX clear was at i190+ and it was pretty face roll. Bis seems to only be challenging because people who can/have done it have no motivation to go back (pre ring buff Ramuh more or less.) Ravana at least drops decent alt weapons. But skill level in the player pool being lower doesn't make the fight itself harder.

Right, now do it with randoms in PF because others have already cleared it and have no interest in going back. Basically:

Are you not on GAF/Ultros?

Help night is on Fridays. Please find Felix Rivers in game as he usually organizes it and sets the Q. We can get you through both.

JudgeN

At appropriate iLevel, Bismarck was way easier than Ravana. Maybe over gearing makes Ravana super cheesable, but my second Bis EX clear was at i190+ and it was pretty face roll. Bis seems to only be challenging because people who can/have done it have no motivation to go back (pre ring buff Ramuh more or less.) Ravana at least drops decent alt weapons. But skill level in the player pool being lower doesn't make the fight itself harder.

Whoever decide to give bismark a 175 weapon vs ravana 190 weapon when you unlock the fight at the end of heavenswards needs to get a stern talking too. You basically negated 1 of the like 3 end game events you had in your expansion.

Top Bottom