• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Omni

Attempted Bismarck Extreme. Got him down to like 10% twice before a cutscene played and said we failed //shurg. It's surprisingly hard to find groups in the party finder willing to take a i184 whm o.0

Group bonus. Depending on what classes are in your group, you get a bonus to a specific statistic. Tanks give VIT, SCH/AST give Piety, WHM MND, and the rest their main damage stat.

You can see what bonuses are active under the party window (used to be in the party list, but got moved for the TP addition and PS3 limitations)

Ooooh. I didn't think about that! Thanks.

Ok, I hate end game in mmos, played wow for 11 years didn't do much end game raiding. Came to FFXIV in Jan and I have a lvl 60 white mage so far. I have EVERY other job at 30 so far. I've finished EVERY quest at 30 and below so far, there aren't many side quests left at 30-60 so how the f do I level ? I'm on a high pop realm, excalibur. I've been doing dungeons\trials daily for the XP boost and I love doing LEVES I had 99 allowances but went through ALL of them today so I can't even do leves anymore. Dungeons are crap XP besides the 1 day, so I thought I'd do fates to level but even on my high pop realm most of the time I'm the only person doing fates and a lot of them can't be soloed.
Hmmm? When I was levelling up my second job, dungeons were giving loads of exp. One or two dungeons and I'd be up a level. That lasted until like 47 or something and then I had to put more effort into it. But still. Didn't seem that bad

Ken

Ok, I hate end game in mmos, played wow for 11 years didn't do much end game raiding. Came to FFXIV in Jan and I have a lvl 60 white mage so far. I have EVERY other job at 30 so far. I've finished EVERY quest at 30 and below so far, there aren't many side quests left at 30-60 so how the f do I level ? I'm on a high pop realm, excalibur. I've been doing dungeonstrials daily for the XP boost and I love doing LEVES I had 99 allowances but went through ALL of them today so I can't even do leves anymore. Dungeons are crap XP besides the 1 day, so I thought I'd do fates to level but even on my high pop realm most of the time I'm the only person doing fates and a lot of them can't be soloed.

Dungeons themselves are actually pretty good XP, especially with rest XP.

Ok thank you you 2, I guess I'll stick to dungeons. I guess I'm just spoiled by leve XP/hour but not many people normally have 99 allowances when they're leveling. I really wish levels didn't require allowances and I actually find them fun even though they're repetitive.

Kenai

Ok, I hate end game in mmos, played wow for 11 years didn't do much end game raiding. Came to FFXIV in Jan and I have a lvl 60 white mage so far. I have EVERY other job at 30 so far. I've finished EVERY quest at 30 and below so far, there aren't many side quests left at 30-60 so how the f do I level ? I'm on a high pop realm, excalibur. I've been doing dungeons\trials daily for the XP boost and I love doing LEVES I had 99 allowances but went through ALL of them today so I can't even do leves anymore. Dungeons are crap XP besides the 1 day, so I thought I'd do fates to level but even on my high pop realm most of the time I'm the only person doing fates and a lot of them can't be soloed.

Dungeons aren't bad at all, especially ones like DD or GG Library. Pop cheap food for the 3% and do the highest level one while going about your businesses with Fates or whatever else. Mot beng able to join a fate pt in the meantime is kind of annoying as a healer though so if there's a good FATE pt going in coerthas/N than those are still good exp even if they can be quite monotonous. When you get high enough Churning Mist fate pts are pretty legit too.

edit: beaten

Ken

Ok thank you you 2, I guess I'll stick to dungeons. I guess I'm just spoiled by leve XP/hour but not many people normally have 99 allowances when they're leveling. I really wish levels didn't require allowances and I actually find them fun even though they're repetitive.

You can pop leves while waiting for queue.

Aizo

Banned
My girlfriend is wanting to pick up Heavensward/FFXIV in general, and she's wondering if it would be better for her to play on her Mac (Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 8GB memory, 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5) or PS4.
Which is generally more well received?

My girlfriend is wanting to pick up Heavensward/FFXIV in general, and she's wondering if it would be better for her to play on her Mac (Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 8GB memory, 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5) or PS4.

Would she be playing in OSX or Windows via Boot Camp? I play on the PS4 version (which runs great) and can't really advise on whether her computer's hardware is up to it, but I would point out that the OSX client was withdrawn due to problems with it.

There is a free trial, so she could try that out on her preferred platform and see how it shakes out, and the game can often be bought cheaply and comes with a month. There's also a benchmark (Windows) but that won't necessarily reproduce the strain of being in a city with dozens of people.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

PS4

Aizo

Banned
Would she be playing in OSX or Windows via Boot Camp? I play on the PS4 version (which runs great) and can't really advise on whether her computer's hardware is up to it, but I would point out that the OSX client was withdrawn due to problems with it.

There is a free trial, so she could try that out on her preferred platform and see how it shakes out, and the game can often be bought cheaply and comes with a month. There's also a benchmark (Windows) but that won't necessarily reproduce the strain of being in a city with dozens of people.
Yeah, she wouldn't be using bootcamp. I had heard the client had problems, but I wasn't sure if it had gotten any better...
Would you care to elaborate a bit? I'm not too familiar with either version. What do you like about the PS4 one? It runs solidly and everything?

RPGCrazied

Yeah, she wouldn't be using bootcamp. I had heard the client had problems, but I wasn't sure if it had gotten any better...

Would you care to elaborate a bit? I'm not too familiar with either version. What do you like about the PS4 one? It runs solidly and everything?

If you have a decent video card, PC is better. I have both, and the PS4, while runs smoothly, something is off about it. I think its the lightning is not as good and the FXAA implementation is worse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lot of people seem to want/need a break from Alex Savage. I have barely touched it but I'm in no hurry, there are other things to do.

It's taken a while but it looks like a couple groups on Ultros are finally getting close to a clear on A3 Savage, from reading one of the server linkshells last night. So that should be a thing soon.

Getting used to the last phase is pretty tricky but seeing the whole boss rotation through in practice isn't really so bad. Having a lot of fun in the tornado/blue ball phase right now.

iammeiam

g e a r c a r r y is real

I kind of waffle on calling it a gear carry vs just being geared where they expect us. We're... Really close to a clear, and the overall difficulty of the enrage check (which is the actual challenge of P4; the mechanics there are still probably the simplest to execute in the fight after sluice+double protean) feels pretty spot-on for our gearing level. Hell, if our ninja didn't decide to go monk two weeks ago and bump himself down significantly gear-wise/if he'd just geared monk all along it'd be dead by now. I think the fight around i200 is pretty similar difficulty-wise to older coil stuff, it was just too easy to get there with less gear.

That said everyone who cleared it pre-weapon day is insane.

aceface

If you have a decent video card, PC is better. I have both, and the PS4, while runs smoothly, something is off about it. I think its the lightning is not as good and the FXAA implementation is worse.

Yes but ps4 is going to be better than the awful Mac client (which I don't think you can even get right now). Ps4 is fine, graphics are on par with a mid-range pc, plays great on a controller,etc. A ton of people I know play it on ps4. Just make sure you have a keyboard to type in party chat.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is pretty true and what I'm thinking. Not sure how people managed this. It's really impressive.

Skill, dedication, time spent (I saw the one group who was actually streaming doing like 12 hour days, good lord...) and from that interview lots of gil, research and basically a bunch of people in their FC supporting their efforts.

scy

This is pretty true and what I'm thinking. Not sure how people managed this. It's really impressive.

Just knowing how to optimize damage, really (which goes back to why the early push towards DRK/WAR/DRG/NIN). It's just a long DPS race in the end so it's the biggest thing to work on.

dcye

Just knowing how to optimize damage, really (which goes back to why the early push towards DRK/WAR/DRG/NIN). It's just a long DPS race in the end so it's the biggest thing to work on.

Oh so what you're saying is that they optimised their classes damage output and played really well? I wish I had thought of that.

Silvawuff

I'm really liking Heavensward so far! Great story compared to the previous patches.

If anyone wants to play on Brynhildr, let me know in PM and I'll give you a recruit code for the extra perks.

I need 5 more feathers for dat Twintania mount!

IvorB

Soooo last night (this morning actually) we had some jolly cooperation on help night to do Ravana Ex and managed to get the kill after a few tries. I made a vid of the tense final few minutes. Usual disclaimers apply if you watch: don't judge scrappy play too hard due to being in a near constant state of blind panic. Thanks Tomo for organising. :)

Isaccard

I'm no controller user,but I had to stop watching because your camera was so bad, have you tried locking on to your target? Grats on the kill

Could somebody please help me because square enix's system is obtuse bullshit. I want to play on pc, but i made my account on ps4. I know I at least have to buy a pc copy of a realm reborn. But...
If i just buy heavensward, will that allow me to play my account on pc, or will i need to buy the base game + heavensward?

Thank you guy underneath me

aceface

Soooo last night (this morning actually) we had some jolly cooperation on help night to do Ravana Ex and managed to get the kill after a few tries. I made a vid of the tense final few minutes. Usual disclaimers apply if you watch: don't judge scrappy play too hard due to being in a near constant state of blind panic. Thanks Tomo for organising. :)

Man, that run showed how much you can mess up and still win thanks to gear. The key is just getting enough people alive through Swift Liberation and Final Liberation, if you can do that it's tough to lose.

Could somebody please help me because square enix's system is obtuse bullshit. I want to play on pc, but i made my account on ps4. I know I at least have to buy a pc copy of a realm reborn. But...
If i just buy heavensward, will that allow me to play my account on pc, or will i need to buy the base game + heavensward?

Need to buy both ARR+ Heavensward for PC

IvorB

I'm no controller user,but I had to stop watching because your camera was so bad, have you tried locking on to your target? Grats on the kill

No, the lock on is terrible. I use it for other classes but for caster it's pointless and just gets you killed due to restricted camera/movement. I don't really have problem with the camera to be honest.

Valor

No, the lock on is terrible. I use it for other classes but for caster it's pointless and just gets you killed due to restricted camera/movement. I don't really have problem with the camera to be honest.

Zoom the hell out then. How can you see anything when you're that close?

WolvenOne

One thing I am looking forward to, is the fact that they're putting XP onto the mobs in level 50 dungeons come 3.1. The XP bonus for HLDR is nice, but alone it's kinda small once you get to 56 or so. So this should add a bit more diversity to the whole leveling process.

Besides, some of the level 50 dungeuns are rather fun.

Sifl

I used to play with the camera like that before I learned how to zoom out with the controller. That was a while ago though, can't even imagine doing something like Rav Ex like that, especially with melee.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The PS4 is going to have better graphics than that Iris graphics card can manage.

Ken

PS4 is totally capable of running XIV, and since you can plug in a keyboard and mouse you aren't restricted to controller if that isn't her thing. You miss out on third party programs and obviously the advantages that come with a much more powerful PC (FPS dips in some of the more busy locations but not a huge issue), and also be affected by PSN maintenance/outages but as far as running the game goes it's fine.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
After coming back from my 3 week break I finally got around finishing my Relic Weapon:
6mFqUQs.jpg

Now I'm ready for 3.1 to start on the New Relic Weapon!

WolvenOne

I find it a bit funny how I'm seeing people start and do Relics from scratch just to save a step in 3.1.

Granted, for a lot of people they have nothing better to do anyway, but still...

suzu

Grats. How do you play with the camera so damn zoomed in? @_@

RPGCrazied

I asked in the guild about getting a certain dye. I was told to get a retainer, which I can't believe I haven't done yet, at level 45. lol So, I finally get one, but its level one. Ack. Just what level ventures do Jet Black dye come from?

Top Bottom