• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Allard

Let me ask, are all non-quests currents in the Western Highlands unlockable right from the start?

If you have the Aether compass all 'field' ones are open yes, but you need the compass which you only get sometime after finishing up to a certain point in the main storyline.

Let me ask, are all non-quests currents in the Western Highlands unlockable right from the start?

Yes. Only zone that's not the case I think is Sea of Clouds. Other zones you can run around and find all the currents as soon as you enter them. Still need to do the quests for the 5 quest ones obviously, but the ground ones are meant to be picked up when you want.

If you have the Aether compass all 'field' ones are open yes, but you need the compass which you only get sometime after finishing up to a certain point in the main storyline.

Yes. Only zone that's not the case I think is Sea of Clouds. Other zones you can run around and find all the currents as soon as you enter them. Still need to do the quests for the 5 quest ones obviously, but the ground ones are meant to be picked up when you want.

Thanks you two! :) Yeah I have the compass already and I don't want to rush Heavensward and take it slow (I'm level 52 currently) but I really dislike the Western Highlands for being so depressing atmosphere-wise so I want to do as much as I can there in one swoop :p

Jarate

Banned
Anybody who's gotten Dark Knight up to 60 know what I should be doing with Dark Arts? Same with the 3rd skill in the MP gain rotation

Anybody who's gotten Dark Knight up to 60 know what I should be doing with Dark Arts? Same with the 3rd skill in the MP gain rotation

Dark Arts is a tricky skill. I always feel like I am going into a MP crisis when I use it, not sure if an extra 100 potency on an attack is worth not having the mana to pull off another two AoE taunts.

Phenomic

Where do you xp at lvl 30?

Are you against FATEs?

(rough estimate level ranges)
30-36 Costa Del Sol
37-41 Coerthas
41-50 Northern Thanalan.

Otherwise, I would just run dungeons or do quests if that's more your ball field, but these places are flooded for a reason.

Korezo

Are you against FATEs?

30-36 Costa Del Sol
37-41 Coerthas
41-50 Northern Thanalan.

Otherwise, I would just run dungeons or do quests if that's more your ball field, but these places are flooded for a reason.

Thanks.

AgeEighty

Far from it, the new VA's imo are excellent and well executed, the issue is I find some of the Voice Actors from the first game more 'fitting' for the character like Urianger. But the actual direction of the voice work is far and away better then the original ARR save for a few select voices.

Eh. The acting itself may be better, but it's off-putting that suddenly everyone sounds like some variation of Yangus from DQVIII.

Malick[AI];169409785 said:
Dark Arts is a tricky skill. I always feel like I am going into a MP crisis when I use it, not sure if an extra 100 potency on an attack is worth not having the mana to pull off another two AoE taunts.

Save it for the parry one so you have even more evasion. You use that when blood price is down (which hopefully got you back up near max mp).

That extra 100 and health gain is so negligible, unless solo.

I have been going the INT down portion of the combo more often than not when i decide to go down that path because again, the boss doing slightly less magic damage is more useful than the tiny ass amount of HP i will gain (unless its a magic crit, and boy do i miss internal release from WAR)

After the initial pull double aoe, you really shouldnt need to use it again if your rotating your agro combo. After the opening, Blood price should get you back up pretty quickly after the Dark art/dark passenger blast if there are 3 or more enemies.

I have to be honest, i am finding DRK a bit disappointing, especially after reading in chat Dark Arts was suppose to change things. The only thing i like the idea of so far is DA to make the final agro combo generate more enmity, since its means i could potentially hold agro outside of using grit if we need to push early, minimizing the back and forth agro on a add spawn when dps are bursting, or taking it back quicker if there is a provoke fail.

Im hoping i flip on it after i get Abyssal Drain, but i cant see that being to useful in raid.

AwShucks

Actually, I want to correct myself, I think it took me 40-50 hours to get to lvl 50 and then maybe 10 hours more to finish the story from there. But still, pretty steep and this is assuming you don't spend time on the side quests/dungeons.

That is easier to stomach! I'm still thinking about trying to demo and seeing if I like it enough. I tried to get a buddy to play through the game with me, but he said not as long as it has a monthly sub, so oh well.

Zomba13

I think on the whole the VA is better than before. It's better acted and there is more of it but I still don't like it in some cases. Like Cid is perfect, it suits him, it's well acted and all in all really good. Alphinaud is well acted but I was used to his old voice and it was a bit more unique than what he has now, same with Urianger. Urinager was perfect before, he sounded slightly weird but it worked because he was super heavy into his books and scripts and loved to use flowery language for everything so having a unique voice made him more of a character. Now he just sounds boring.

Merwylb is another case where I think the new one is worse. It might be better acted but part of the charm was that kinda nasally voice. Alot of the characters new voices just seem either posh or common folk. Like they took half of The Witcher 3's random NPC staff and stuck them into characters. You're a big guy, you sound like a farmer, you're little you sound like a lord/lady.

creid

Goddamn, I'm in love with 3.0. Love the new progression for gathering so far, though I don't like how quick you have to be with the shorter unspoiled windows. I hope the high-end DoL gear isn't too much of a grind. Main story quests are definitely a step up from ARR.

Been busy the last few days so I'm only DRG level 53, and I'm dying to play more. Doesn't help that Aether / Sargatanas was too congested to log in to for like 8 hours yesterday :(

Allard

Goddamn, I'm in love with 3.0. Love the new progression for gathering so far, though I don't like how quick you have to be with the shorter unspoiled windows. I hope the high-end DoL gear isn't too much of a grind. Main story quests are definitely a step up from ARR.

Been busy the last few days so I'm only DRG level 53, and I'm dying to play more. Doesn't help that Aether / Sargatanas was too congested to log in to for like 8 hours yesterday :(

I just like the whole collection system in general between Gathering and Crafting, I am finding myself in a position where I 'want' to do way more things then I have time for so its a struggle to prioritize. Haven't had that feeling ever in this game even when 2.0 came out (In large part because I transferred a character from 1.0 with 3 lvl 50 crafts, 1 lvl 50 gathering and 3 lvl 50 combat classes...) The struggle after getting my first lvl 60 character is going to be real too, I am so used to having a choice of healer, dps and tank at max lvl to use XD.

BadRNG

DRK can definitely main tank but they are a lot more complicated to play than either WAR or PLD.

Im not saying that should be your macro (I don't like long macros they take you out of the game in my opinion) but its a good idea for what I am using for my basic DRK rotation and having a lot of success.
Don't use battle macros period for this. The game cannot do half seconds, so every one of those casts is going to be a 3s wait. Your second combo also has a part where you are stacking 3 oGCDs right on top of each other, and that is also a really bad idea as it will eat into your GCDs over the course of the fight.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't got the new expansion yet, but I do keep hearing the new VAs aren't exactly up to the standards of the core game.

The majority are better this time around. It actually sounds professional instead of a fandubbing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The worst part about these overlarge, mostly empty zones, is that they're actually pretty fun to navigate with flying, unlike WoW's zones. The Z-axis heights you can get to in Churning Mists is exciting. Everything's designed with flying in mind.

Unfortunately you have to navigate it all on foot first. How many players have you seen trying to climb unscalable rock walls because the level design is non-intuitive for ground navigation? Because there's a LOT of that going on.

One of the chief reasons for this is the minimap is too rudimentary. With these complex new maps with multiple levels, a flat 2D, uncolored minimap is either completely useless or only gives you the roughest idea of where you're going.

"We'll add more to it later" "We wanted to leave ourselves room" is such a lazy cop out. For all of the intricate level design going on, getting to places on foot is clearly an afterthought - as if they said "Can they get to this platform? No? Add a ramp, but make sure it's on the other side so they have to run all the way around first."

The worst so far for me has been Falcon's Nest area in general. There's so many elevation changes, but since flight was to be implemented, there is only usually one way to actually traverse elevation on foot. Case in point the area near the bridge, there is only one way to go up and that is on the right side of the brige. If you are much further west you have to run all the way over there.

Zomba13

The worst so far for me has been Falcon's Nest area in general. There's so many elevation changes, but since flight was to be implemented, there is only usually one way to actually traverse elevation on foot. Case in point the area near the bridge, there is only one way to go up and that is on the right side of the brige. If you are much further west you have to run all the way over there.

I think the biggest problem isn't that you have to do it on foot, but the maps are super unclear regarding elevation changes. They needed to look better to better show that this hunk of land can't be gotten to from here but all the way over there.

Valonquar

A lot of that was intentional though. They made the zone take longer to traverse to extend playtime before burning through storyline. It works for me, since it really hightens that sigh of releif when you finally DO open up flight in a zone. So much more rewarding than just giving you flight everywhere all the time.

They did a similar thing for Draenor to bring back the fun of exploring land content again. They basically put terrain puzzles and treasures in so people would really try the limits of the land. Didn't Yoshida say he wanted to put in jumping puzzles in the xpac?

Are you against FATEs?

30-36 Costa Del Sol
37-41 Coerthas
41-50 Northern Thanalan.

I've found EXP in N. Than to be good starting 44, since the fates with individual enemies have exp when killed starting showing up on my chat log. I went there as MCH at 40 and was hardly getting exp save for the end of the fights, even spamming the spread shot (I forgot the name).

I'm probably going to use this opportunity to grind MNK while the iron is hot for exp. Been a bit disappointed in MCH at the moment and unsure of continuing BRD. MNK was one of my first choices back around EA for 2.0 however it felt a bit weak compared to Dragoon, (I was naive about its potential though) and felt intimidated by positionals, keeping GL up on fights that have non stop movement, and dealing with the parser elitists. Luckily the community is far more lax than it was back in 2.0 and as long as I practice I can get a solid rotation down.

I got to try MCH out and it's 52, but am unsure if I want to continue it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Don't use battle macros period for this. The game cannot do half seconds, so every one of those casts is going to be a 3s wait. Your second combo also has a part where you are stacking 3 oGCDs right on top of each other, and that is also a really bad idea as it will eat into your GCDs over the course of the fight.

I don't use that macro there is a disclaimer there lol, long macros put me to sleep and feel boring.

This. Emnity really isn't an issue for DRK. But MP is. Managing MP and using Dark Arts efficiently will be the key.

After using a dark arts skill if you are getting hit by a group just pop blood price should get you back to full mp especially on big pulls.

Malick[AI];169409785 said:

Pop your ranged enmity good chance the aoe will be free.

Arkeband

Banned
A lot of that was intentional though. They made the zone take longer to traverse to extend playtime before burning through storyline. It works for me, since it really hightens that sigh of releif when you finally DO open up flight in a zone. So much more rewarding than just giving you flight everywhere all the time.

Okay, that's great, but that's not what people are suggesting.

The minimap sucks because it doesn't even attempt to convey elevation changes. And getting around on foot is basically running around aimlessly trying to find the one ramp that leads over some rubble or cliff face, or get really lucky and find a wall you can shimmy up.

Waiting until flying is unlocked would be easier to stomach if the ground didn't actively hate everyone trying to navigate it.

Kenai

They did a similar thing for Draenor to bring back the fun of exploring land content again. They basically put terrain puzzles and treasures in so people would really try the limits of the land. Didn't Yoshida say he wanted to put in jumping puzzles in the xpac?

I feel like FF14 did it much better by rewarding you for 'completing" the main part of a zone by unlocking flying so subsequent visits are easier, especially with the quest overload, FATEs, Hunts, ect. vs Draenor removing it altogether, WoW does have a lot more points to go via FPs vs aetherytes but that takes you out of the game vs the control with flying here.

i kinda agree that the quest progression is all over the place, but it's a minor inconvenience thanks to flying. FATE's need a buff though, maybe have the rewards scale with the difficulty or something, cause most of them are just garbage to be ignored unless they have an extra reward like a card or something.

The minimap sucks because it doesn't even attempt to convey elevation changes. And getting around on foot is basically running around aimlessly trying to find the one ramp that leads over some rubble or cliff face, or get really lucky and find a wall you can shimmy up.

Waiting until flying is unlocked would be easier to stomach if the ground didn't actively hate everyone trying to navigate it.

This could be better, but it might also be intentional to get people to actually explore and look around instead of giving you a clear path, especially with the compass pointing you to it already. It's nowhere near as painful as somewhere like FF11 Yhot/yutung jung tunnels for example. The "main" paths through a zone are usually pretty well marked, the quests are marked, and wandering around usually means you are looking for currents or things like gathering nodes, which are "marked" too.

I feel like FF14 did it much better by rewarding you for 'completing" the main part of a zone by unlocking flying so subsequent visits are easier, especially with the quest overload, FATEs, Hunts, ect. vs Draenor removing it altogether, WoW does have a lot more points to go via FPs vs aetherytes but that takes you out of the game vs the control with flying here.

i kinda agree that the quest progression is all over the place, but it's a minor inconvenience thanks to flying. FATE's need a buff though, maybe have the rewards scale with the difficulty or something, cause most of them are just garbage to be ignored unless they have an extra reward like a card or something.

This could be better, but it might also be intentional to get people to actually explore and look around. It's nowhere near as painful is somewhere like Yhot/yutung jung tunnels.

I'm only just about to venture out of Ishgard now that my DRK is 50 so it will be fun to see and compare with WoW.

AgeEighty

It's slightly problematic in that if you guess wrong about what elevation the map marker you're looking for is at, you often have to double back around a long way to get to where you need to go. (Coerthas West is the worst for this.) But you can solve that by aiming for the high points first, and if the marker is actually below you, you can just drop down.

Quite honestly, it could be better but it's not that big of a deal. Most of this for me was solved by using not just the minimap, but also by taking a moment to look around me.

Stuart444

Flying will probably really shine in 3.1+ until 4.0 as we'll be able to fly in all the areas that new quests and story stuff will be. (assuming you bothered to unlock flying but I don't see why you wouldn't but whatever lol)

BadRNG

I don't use that macro there is a disclaimer there lol, long macros put me to sleep and feel boring.
Right, I was saying that pretty much any battle macro, even short or one skill ones, are rarely a good idea due to how the system works. Can't do exact times nor can they be queued.

iammeiam

So you one-shotted the heart.... I was wondering how you skipped past the goals. I tried the story primals at lv50 war and couldn't beat titan. Curious what your hp was at the end.

Yeah, I tried a few different things there and it turned out that you basically have to two-shot it because after a couple of GCDs he starts the cast and killing the heart mid-cast doesn't count.

He really wasn't hitting me that hard--I think the average skill was hitting for 500-ish? on the pulls I left my UI on, and at around 10K hp it was nothing since he doesn't get many attacks off between jumps. I think at one point I used Second Wind after P2 and it topped me off.

I tried the HMs but they don't work for bard; Ifrit hits for ~2K and Second Wind's CD is too long.

Item Box

The Aery spoilers:
Did they really dye Estinien's armor red to make it look like blood or was that some kind of transformation?
If the former is true then lol

DarkKyo

So my friend and I might be looking to pick up the expansion for a friend who can't really afford it at the moment... Are there any places it can be found for cheaper at the moment? Is it a flat 40 dollars literally everywhere right now?

Wagram

I completely understand that this title doesn't have top notch voice acting, but Yugiri was one character that had a really solid VA that actually tried. Then they replaced her with the female equivalent of Microsoft Sam. Thanks for that SE, I love robot VAs.

epmode

Can't log in. Alternates between lobby error 5006 and 2002. Flushing DNS and picking a different data center isn't helping.

edit: And of course it starts working two minutes after I post.

Moaradin

I completely understand that this title doesn't have top notch voice acting, but Yugiri was one character that had a really solid VA that actually tried. Then they replaced her with the female equivalent of Microsoft Sam. Thanks for that SE, I love robot VAs.

Yugiri's voice sounds fine to me, but I don't remember her old one. She only had a few speaking lines.

Sakura

Sorry if it's been asked, but if I use Japanese PSN, do I need a Japanese copy of the game? I have the NA version for my PC. Could I purchase the NA version for my PS4 and play or would I need to make a NA PSN account too?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry if it's been asked, but if I use Japanese PSN, do I need a Japanese copy of the game? I have the NA version for my PC. Could I purchase the NA version for my PS4 and play or would I need to make a NA PSN account too?
You'll need to make an NA PSN account, purchase it off NA PSN, and play using the NA PSN account to continue using your NA mogstation account.

Buying the game off PSN applies an entitlement to the PSN account that purchased it which is then picked up by mogstation as the registration code when you launch the game. Since mogstation is region based you won't be able to use a JP PSN entitlement with an NA mogstation account. And since you can only tie 1 PSN account to your mogstation account, you'll have to log into your NA PSN account to play your NA mogstation character.

Perhaps it's my imagination but does it seem like MCH generate a ton of enmity in low level dungeons?

Tanks don't get their tanks stance until 30 and 40 for pld, so agro is a common issue in LL. It doesn't help that by being range, the often hit sooner than others and often times don't bother to hit what the tank is hitting.

Top Bottom