• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yesterday I was able to clear the 4th dungeon, defeat Bismarck and finally unlock flying in the Sea of Clouds (running in that zone was the worst).

While I loved the dungeon both for bosses and the atmosphere, Bismarck might be my least favorite primal fight so far. It reminded me of the
Dah'ren Mohran fight in MH4
:/

Sakura

You'll need to make an NA PSN account, purchase it off NA PSN, and play using the NA PSN account to continue using your NA mogstation account.

Buying the game off PSN applies an entitlement to the PSN account that purchased it which is then picked up by mogstation as the registration code when you launch the game. Since mogstation is region based you won't be able to use a JP PSN entitlement with an NA mogstation account. And since you can only tie 1 PSN account to your mogstation account, you'll have to log into your NA PSN account to play your NA mogstation character.

Aw is that so? Thanks.
I guess I just won't bother getting the PS4 version then.

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and decided to give the game a shot. I originally bought it when it was first released way back when and apparently still had the license on my account. I played for ten hours straight and got my pugilist to 20 and miner to 10. I think I'll probably try leatherworking tonight. It seems like it should go well with pugilist.

The game has definitely come a long way since 1.0. I remember playing the first day and realized it was the worst $75 I'd ever spent gaming. The structure (so far) is a lot more World of Warcraft than I was expecting. Random quests throughout the map and instanced dungeons. I did the first two last night and now I need a third one to continue the storyline.

I'm kinda torn on the game so far. My favorite thing has been the nostalgia from all the FFXI monsters. Orobons, Thickshells, Puks, etc. It's neat to see them again. I'll keep at it a while to see if the game hooks me. I already feel the $15 subscription fee was justified the in the first day because I played so much. The original $75 Collector's Edition is another story though. At least I got a fancy Journal and a backlit security token out of it.

grimmiq

Is it just me or is the level 58 Dragoon ability complete bullshit?

Level 56 I get Fang and Claw where I need to finish a combo with Blood active to be able to use it, 100 potency or 290 potency from the side..great ability.

Level 58 I get Wheeling Thrust, now when I finish a combo with Blood active it will randomly allow me to use Fang and Claw OR Wheeling Thrust.

Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw have the exact same damage, except 1 is from the side, the other from the rear. This gives DRG no bonus whatsoever and just makes the rotation slightly more difficult.

Jolkien

Is it just me or is the level 58 Dragoon ability complete bullshit?

Level 56 I get Fang and Claw where I need to finish a combo with Blood active to be able to use it, 100 potency or 290 potency from the side..great ability.

Level 58 I get Wheeling Thrust, now when I finish a combo with Blood active it will randomly allow me to use Fang and Claw OR Wheeling Thrust.

Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw have the exact same damage, except 1 is from the side, the other from the rear. This gives DRG no bonus whatsoever and just makes the rotation slightly more difficult.

Apparently people that played it at E3 (or was it pax) said it wasnt random you were getting the right positional corresponding to the previous step in the combo you made. Lots of people assume that the randomness is a bug.

Tanks don't get their tanks stance until 30 and 40 for pld, so agro is a common issue in LL. It doesn't help that by being range, the often hit sooner than others and often times don't bother to hit what the tank is hitting.

It's been so long it must have slipped my mind.

Tanked earlier in the day and could barely keep enmity on me. Then played MCH a few minutes ago and it was a struggle not to rip enmity away each encounter.

grimmiq

Apparently people that played it at E3 (or was it pax) said it wasnt random you were getting the right positional corresponding to the previous step in the combo you made. Lots of people assume that the randomness is a bug.

Yeah I figured it would have been something like Chaos Thrust gave Wheeling Thrust because they both get rear bonus..but tested a dozen times using just Full Thrust and got 8 Wheeling, 4 Fang.

Stuart444

I mentioned this a few pages ago and someone replied with pics and everything:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169371961&postcount=1642

See the grants X buff OR Y buff on both full thrust and chaos thursts descriptions.

I guess they changed it? Though they may change it back in the future. I haven't tried it myself so I can't say how I feel about it.

Looks like I might need to level DRK just for the story going by all the recommendations.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm pretty scared of tanking (Paladin was my first job, got it to 42 before the pressure became too much) but I really want to give it another go, and hearing that people like the job story might be the push I need.

centracore

Is anyone else having trouble logging in today? I keep getting "5006: the lobby server connection has encountered an error" then booted completely out of the game (good programming there).

So how many of you made it to 60?

I made it to 56 and a half. Those goddamned moogle quests just sapped out the rest of my momentum to push for 57 before I had to go to bed, and I'm at work now so I can't play.

I didn't think I would play this much, but this damn storyline. I'm all caught up in it. >_>

K.Sabot

That I'd rather grind dungeons for xp rather than do quests tells much about how improved quest design is in the expansion.
wtzgU.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of the class story, I was very underwhelmed by the lv 50-56 BLM job quests so far.
The idea behind the story isn't half bad, but the quests themselves fail to deliver.

That I'd rather grind dungeons for xp rather than do quests tells much about how improved quest design is in the expansion.
wtzgU.gif

it sucks so much playing this right after witcher 3. these sidequests are utter garbage. it's back and forth without anything exciting happening in between. you go through the same 5 quest duplicates all day. what's at the end of the road? hunts? please no.

Stuart444

wtzgU.gif

May not be improved but the actual story behind the quests are imo. At least so far. I feel more for the NPCs I'm doing quests for than I did for most of them in ARR.

Sora_N

If I pop the disc on today will I be able to create Au Ra? Or will I have to wait for tomorrow?

I am gonna receive my early access code...late lol

EDIT: Still wondering, also looks like the DLC included is part of the disc? Nice cover ruined by random boxes lol

20150622_183709_zpsctb2toz9.jpg

Teletraan1

Banned
it sucks so much playing this right after witcher 3. these sidequests are utter garbage. it's back and forth without anything exciting happening in between. you go through the same 5 quest duplicates all day. what's at the end of the road? hunts? please no.

I was playing ESO prior to EA and it has far better quests than this game. That game was reviled here.

Moaradin

wtzgU.gif

I prefer the ton of quick sidequest Heavensward has to the filler they used to pad out the main story in the original game. The story in Heavensward is so much better because of it.

Wagram

I was playing ESO prior to EA and it has far better quests than this game. That game was reviled here.

I'm glad that they transferred most of the fetch quests into actual sidequests rather than keeping them in the main story like they did at launch. Still I really wish they would put actual effort into them. 7-10 quests in a chain for a hi-elixir? Thanks.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So this minion is pretty adorable.

Dropped in
The Aery.

And my PC physical CE is due tomorrow. Yay!
Too much death stare going on for it to be cute. That thing is ready to MURDER.

fedexpeon

Banned
Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm pretty scared of tanking (Paladin was my first job, got it to 42 before the pressure became too much) but I really want to give it another go, and hearing that people like the job story might be the push I need.

If PLD was too much pressure for you, DRK will scare you from tanking for good.
They don't have the HP pool or mitigation to tank.
I guess you can level it up for the story, and stop at 50.

K.Sabot

I prefer the ton of quick sidequest Heavensward has to the filler they used to pad out the main story in the original game. The story in Heavensward is so much better because of it.

You know I thought that until moogle land and their pointless, boring quests with 0 story meat.

I actually really want to level up Machinist.

From what I tried it was pretty interesting, and you apparently get more cool stuff down the road with it.

But I have to be careful not to pull too much attention away from my main job since I want to get that to 60 quickly.

If PLD was too much pressure for you, DRK will scare you from tanking for good.
They don't have the HP pool or mitigation to tank.
I guess you can level it up for the story, and stop at 50.

This may differ endgame, I main a SCH and I've found DKs incredibly easy to heal so far. And their HP pools seem to be above equally geared paladins.

I am downloading the trial now; (never played FFXIV before) - What is the best thing I can do to get immersed in the story?
People have told me not to do all the side quests. Should I do all the main scenario quests? Is there anything I should read before I start? I can see on the website there is something about world creation and crystals. Is there some introductionary CGI cut scenes that should be seen before starting the game?

ViciousDS

Banned
I am downloading the trial now; (never played FFXIV before) - What is the best thing I can do to get immersed in the story?
People have told me not to do all the side quests. Should I do all the main scenario quests? Is there anything I should read before I start? I can see on the website there is something about world creation and crystals. Is there some introductionary CGI cut scenes that should be seen before starting the game?

hm? do the sidequests they are pretty much aligned where you need to be with the main quests. Plus you are missing out on gil, and some gear along the way. They are not that tedious.

The Problem for me is that I'm at CM being level 50......and still have almost 80 quests to do before I can even get into Ishgard....its really off putting.

Ok hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

I got my PS4 CE today. Put in the redemption code like the sheet said first. But I had other codes to redeem so I pressed 'redeem another code' instead of going all the way to the end screen.

Then I updated my FFXIV launcher and the game itself downloaded the latest patches. Put in the Heavensward disc and it installed the additional add-ons. Opened the game again and the launcher still is the same and when I check my mog station account I don't see any indicator for me having the heavensward CE listed for my ps4.

I checked my SEN transactions and its listed there but nothing was available to download or anything. (I may check on the web store and see if there's something on my download list that isn't present on my ps4 yet). And I can't log into the game currently either (keeps saying error getting into lobby).

So did I mess up or is the game not live yet and I'm panicking for no reason? I'm hoping that everything hasn't gone live yet and that tomorrow with the PS Store and the game updates tomorrow everything will be cool...

Edit: Checked my service list and under FFXIV ARR there's a selection for ARR Digital CE and another for Heavensard CE Playing Entitlement.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
got my code from gmg!
just reached 58 and about to unlock bismarck.. i'm so slow :<
Slow? It's been 3 days since EA started. The expansion hasn't even officially released and you call it slow?

Y'all crazy

AwShucks

I'd like gaf's opinion on this. What do you think is the easiest class to try and solo the main game with (of course knowing that you had to do multiplayer at times to progress)? What about most fun for you personally?

Enthus

I'm taking this expansion veeerrry slowly. No need to rush it like I did at ARR's launch and be out of content in two weeks, especially since I don't play on raiding until Fall.

Ichabod

Banned
It's been an excruciating wait to dive in. Got to play a few hours on Friday morning before I had to pack it in for my shifts this weekend. I was running on little sleep when I unlocked MCH so I was a little fuzzy on finding a good rotation. Any good MCH guides out yet?

Top Bottom