• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tabris

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll quit at 4.0 outside subbing for a week to clear through the story unless they radically change their content strategy, but this shows they aren't and just don't get it.

And in the meantime, I'll only do what's required to keep a single job ready for raiding. So I'll do relic, and spam airship missions, but I won't level crafting, gathering, or any other job.

Allard

That's the same thing as hunts. Anyone who participates in the kill gets some seals. Those who "participate more" get more seals up to max tier.

I'm actually probably thinking of something like the bloody logs from Hunts, everyone has a chance of getting the item (higher chance then the logs) but the secondary stats, item type and glamour are all random leading to people farming them for better stats.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So there's 3 possibilities:

1) It's instanced content and the degree of gear you get depends on your airship, with the Holy Ishgard airship being bare minimum. If this is the case, better be prepared for small and large FCs to disappear / break apart.

2) It's open to anyone and it's claim system. i.e. Our FC can claim over another. Get ready for FC drama.

3) It's open to anyone and it's tag system. i.e. Prepare for hunt drama.
The way they were talking about it before 3.0's launch your ship and exploration affect your voyage and its an open zone with players/fc's competing against one another.

Tell us about its uses other than the sky map from the patch 3.X series.
Y: Players will be able to ride on the airships to explore field areas based on the data they collected when they dispatched the ships.

Will there be islands that you can find that, for example, gatherers can enjoy?
Y: Yes, there will be those kinds of islands, and there will be islands full of NMs you can subdue - we have a lot of ideas in mind.

Will the sky map areas be treated as so-called public fields?
Y: The term "public field" has been met with mixed reception so I'll avoid saying one way or the other, but we believe that we were able to make these encounters both random and surprising.

Can you give an example of something that might happen?
Y: Well, you might go to a site that another free company has already investigated and find them in the midst of struggling against a giant monster (laughs).

As players share their research, it's likely that rare items won't stay rare for long.
Y: We wanted to include some elements of randomness. For example, you might have the parameters of your airship adjusted with the aim of reaching a certain island, but something might happen during your flight which forces you to make an emergency landing on another island (laughs).

So random elements will come into play.
Y: That's right. You'll be able to respond to those random elements with battleships that you can create in a future update. Earlier, we said we wanted to develop things like sky battles... taking your airship to the skies and the activities there is a major theme throughout the patch 3.X series.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125199-Famitsu-PAX-East-Interview-(3-14)-Translation

anyone shows him that Moogle atrocity, there'll be some slapping.

Just saying.
Too late, already saw it. Stocking up on granite, varnish, and cobalt to build it.

Wilsongt

I wouldn't mind one of those fat chocobo fans.

All in all, pretty disappointed letter.

Oh well, gives me time to level up crafts to 60 and play some FFXI.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They didn't really show a whole lot did they? Only tuned in a few minutes ago. Sounds like they're wrapping up.

Tabris

They didn't really show a whole lot did they? Only tuned in a few minutes ago. Sounds like they're wrapping up.

Ninja mudra lag going to be "fixed", Void Ark CT difficulty 24-man raid, FC Airship Exploration which invalidates Alex Savage gear, relic weapons, pokemon mini-game, and new story quests.

Release date early November

Tomat

Ninja mudra lag going to be "fixed", Void Ark CT difficulty 24-man raid, FC Airship Exploration which invalidates Alex Savage gear, relic weapons, pokemon mini-game, and new story quests.

That's not so bad. The mudra fix will be pretty big if true.

Whether or not the Aetherial stuff will actually invalidate Alex gear remains to be seen. It may be super rare for all we know, to the point where getting Alex gear is far more practical.

The rest sounds alright. *edit* That Void Ark gear looks pretty underwhelming. You guys weren't kidding. Looks like tattered Law gear.

Kenai

How does it invalidate Alex Savage gear if it's the same ilvl at best? I don't understand.

How does it invalidate Alex Savage gear if it's the same ilvl at best? I don't understand.

Because a lot of classes have shit secondaries on their Alex/Eso 210 gear. For min/maxing purposes, the only thing that will matter will be the aetherial gear or those few current pieces that have your best stats.

Tabris

Because you can get i210 with random substats (so BiS will almost always be the ethereal gear) via gold chests. So you can just keep farming loot to get everything you need.

While it'll take you 6 weeks of A4S clears to get enough tokens for 1 piece. Maybe you have some good luck in those 6 weeks and get another drop.

So unless we're clearing A4S now, then you'll gear faster via airship ventures.

Tomat

Depends on what they mean by random probably. I'm wondering if the secondary stats on the items will be random, or if the values attributed to the non-random secondary stats will be random. If it's the former, it might be possible to get something better than your savage equivalent. If it's the latter, I'm guessing the best you could get is something on par.

The thing is though, they had two options here. Leave it at 200 and make it a viable alternative to gearing up your other jobs through a method that isn't weekly Eso and Alex NM farm. Or make it i210 and give savage raiders another piece of gear to go for on the side for their main job, giving them something else to do.
That's not necessarily true. In fact, I highly doubt it will be. We're dealing with random attributes here, and if the gear drops are random, who is to say you'll even get something you can equip? We don't have enough details about how they're going to implement this gear system yet.

Tabris

That's not necessarily true. In fact, I highly doubt it will be. We're dealing with random attributes here, and if the gear drops are random, who is to say you'll even get something you can equip? We don't have enough details about how they're doing to implement this gear system yet.

You just keep running until you get the gear you want i.e. loot spamming. They have a system to trade in the gear you don't want, doesn't say what you trade them in for.

But let's say the drop rate is extremely low, that's even worse for raiders because it means casual players may be geared better then them just due to RNG.

Spend weeks (months) trying to learn A3S and A4S to get some of that gear when others are geared better then you from RNG. That would be rage inducing.

Shamdeo

I just told Chocolate, her reaction: "Do they want the game to die?"

:(

It's not that bad, when compared to its contemporaries (we're kind of spoiled). My question is if that pace is retained after 3.1.

i miss u guys i hope alex is goin nice for u

Jayhawk

I spammed hunts when they came out to get gear upgrades after the raid content is months old, and get as geared as people clearing that content for months.

Now I am going to whine about a new system they're adding, that people are going to take advantage of, to get gear upgrades after the raid content (I have yet to clear) will be 5 months old when the new system is released.

Kenai

Because a lot of classes have shit secondaries on their Alex/Eso 210 gear. For min/maxing purposes, the only thing that will matter will be the aetherial gear or those few current pieces that have your best stats.

Well I think that's kinda jumping the gun a bit. We dunno how often we will be able to run, dunno the drop rates on ANYTHING (how rare is anything at 210? How much choice do we have over what gear we get?) and dunno how much time it takes to earn a piece.

This seems to me like the kind of thing you do after you clear what you can clear for the week and reach your caps in other stuff.

Because you can get i210 with random substats (so BiS will almost always be the ethereal gear) via gold chests. So you can just keep farming loot to get everything you need.

While it'll take you 6 weeks of A4S clears to get enough tokens for 1 piece. Maybe you have some good luck in those 6 weeks and get another drop.

The drop rates and % of gear what *inster ilvl here* and *insert stat here* is a total unknown. Why wouldn't you run stuff you are guaranteed to get first before playing with RNG in a game like this?

You just keep running until you get the gear you want i.e. loot spamming. They have a system to trade in the gear you don't want, doesn't say what you trade them in for.

But let's say the drop rate is extremely low, that's even worse for raiders because it means casual players may be geared better then them just due to RNG.

Spend weeks (months) trying to learn A3S and A4S to get some of that gear when others are geared better then you from RNG. That would be rage inducing.

Well I don't see how they are gonna be better geared than anyone overall if the drop rate is that poor, save maybe one lucky piece.

I just think there's still too much we don't know about it to be speaking in absolutes.

I was thinking like, for example. The Darkspawn Fate. It drops a random level 55 belt, not even necessarily for a job you have leveled, after hours of everyone clearing the other FATEs leading up to it. If random monsters on long timers with weird unknown pop requirements dropped a random gear piece that was 200-210 with random stats on a long respawn timer, for example, I don't see how that would invalidate Savage at all.

In fact, you'd probably be using whatever gear you happened to get that was an upgrade to make Savage a bit easier to clear. They probably needed to put in extra gear options since so many people are still at a wall on it and don't seem interested in nerfing the raid directly.

WolvenOne

Speaking personally, there are a LOT of Esoteric and Savage Alexander pieces that you'll be hard pressed to improve upon at the same ilvl.

The Esoteric Warrior Arms? Crit Skillspeed? You're not going to find secondaries much better then that for Warrior. Same with Alexander Pants, Eso Helm. The body, boots, and belts you could probably improve upon but three pieces isn't a big deal. I mean, let me put it to you this way. The drop rate for 210 gear is probably going to be fairly low, and with randomized secondaries you'll end up with a LOT of pieces with crap regularities before you get the pieces with the secondary stats you want. If you're clearing Alexander, that gear is more or less going to be more desirable simply because of how much less time it'll take to farm it up.

Also, yeah you can exchange the gear for points, but not necessarily towards the gear you want. It could be towards glamour gear, consumables, or whatever.

Patch 3.1 is coming in the beginning of November...

I totally called it in another thread. They'll probably add insult to injury and it'll be the same day as Fallout 4.

On the other hand, bring on horizontal gear progression. Not too keen on doing Savage so here I come 24 man raid and exploration! Esoteric grinding is starting to wear on me so three more cheap items and I'll focus on the new stuff.

WolvenOne

Next week I'll have the last of the Esoteric body pieces for Warrior. After that, if I don't feel like capping in a given week, meh, I just won't. Most my accessories are crafted anyway, so I can just casually accrue Esoterics for my secondary classes.

Next week I'll have the last of the Esoteric body pieces for Warrior. After that, if I don't feel like capping in a given week, meh, I just won't. Most my accessories are crafted anyway, so I can just casually accrue Esoterics for my secondary classes.

Speaking of melded accessories did they mention anything about new recipes? I've been holding off on them in case they add more and higher level stuff.

BadRNG

Why does it matter if you can get 210 gear from airship hunts, wasn't everyone expecting an easier way to get 210 gear already in 3.1? If anything this could end up being worse than their usual method of spreading out gear since aetherial RNG can be a bitch.

Ninja mudra lag going to be "fixed",
What? I didn't watch the live letter, did they say how it would be fixed?

Allard

Why does it matter if you can get 210 gear from airship hunts, wasn't everyone expecting an easier way to get 210 gear already in 3.1? If anything this could end up being worse than their usual method of spreading out gear since aetherial RNG can be a bitch.

What? I didn't watch the live letter, did they say how it would be fixed?

Previously you were still ham strung by weekly caps on gear (Poetics/Item lockouts in Coil/Item lockouts in Crystal Tower) the only thing not locked was hunts which gave 2 of the 3 upgrade items for the gear. This new content does not appear to have an 'obvious' limter other than RNG. (By the way I am for this type of content, after several months it makes sense to make a more casual way to gear for max and I hate weekly timers).

As for your later comment they mentioned for 3.1 they were hoping to make it 'smoother' but wouldn't clarify how or what that meant. It was stated near the beginning according to the translation I'm seeing.

LMAO 3.1 isn't until early November?

I'm guessing I retired at the right time, now that Squenix is moving to WoW-like content release cycles. I'll be able to resub once every 6 months to experience new story and casual content and go back into hibernation between patches.

BadRNG

Yeah, I'm with you, I don't really see the harm. One patch cycle is plenty of time for people to feel like special snowflakes with raid gear, making it easier after that has always been their goal. Even without a weekly lockout (which the point system very well could end up having?) this sounds like it could be a massive RNG thing, and if someone wants to grind all day for that then more power to them.

Vague promises are the best promises! I might have to actually level NIN if they get it to work. The job is so fun but a bad night of mudra (or for many, WTFast) and it's incredibly frustrating to play.

Moaradin

Wow that is a long wait for the first patch. I hope this won't be a regular thing and it will go back to more frequent updates after 3.1

I think I read somewhere that it's later since they took some vacation after HW. If that is true, I get the date but eh, oh well. More time for other games! If they fix mudra lag, best patch ever.

Probably won't bother with Void Ark, only feel like gearing two jobs now.

Top Bottom