• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Are there any images of 3.1 gear floating around? I can't find anything other than a google document listing numerous things that will be implemented for the upcoming patch.
JP20150919_3.jpg

More here: http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001189.html

Raijinken

Most of those look great, especially the outfit the guy with the afro is wearing. Hopefully they won't be too difficult to obtain, since I haven't made a lot of gil in the past six weeks...

Kenai

Yea I don't know why people where complaining about the outfits. None of them looked bad and some looked really great.

Not quite sure what to think of the island life yet. I'm worried about the potential drama involved with uninstanced content like that but oh well, GAF has an airship fleet so we will be in a better spot than most.

Again, my only sadface was the release date.

WolvenOne

BTW, I don't have proof, but I suspect that the Exploration Zones are going to be, "Semi-Instanced." Specifically, that there will be a maximum number of players allowed into a certain zone, and that new instances will be created once this maximum is reached. This did something similar to this for zones in heavily populated servers after Heavensward launched.

The reason I suspect this is because the following.

A: No matter how powerful the enemy, it won't last long if word gets out and the entire server runs into the server to zerg it.

B: For purposes of stability.

C: Reduces the instances where FC's are directly competing for the same Marks.

D: It means that Marks can scale with server activity somewhat, instead of being an entirely fixed resource.

I could be wrong of course, but this seems like the easiest way to curtail C without completely shutting it down. Plus, it kinda seems like something they'd do if you ask me. Granted, I've NEVER experienced this sort of content with an MMO before, so I might be overlooking something that's obvious to everyone else.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Most of those look great, especially the outfit the guy with the afro is wearing. Hopefully they won't be too difficult to obtain, since I haven't made a lot of gil in the past six weeks...
That's the new gold saucer outfit and hair.

aceface

Yea I don't know why people where complaining about the outfits. None of them looked bad and some looked really great.

Not quite sure what to think of the island life yet. I'm worried about the potential drama involved with uninstanced content like that but oh well, GAF has an airship fleet so we will be in a better spot than most.

Other FCs will learn to fear the name Xtech Voyager

IvorB

BTW, I don't have proof, but I suspect that the Exploration Zones are going to be, "Semi-Instanced." Specifically, that there will be a maximum number of players allowed into a certain zone, and that new instances will be created once this maximum is reached. This did something similar to this for zones in heavily populated servers after Heavensward launched.

A: No matter how powerful the enemy, it won't last long if word gets out and the entire server runs into the server to zerg it.

D: It means that Marks can scale with server activity somewhat, instead of being an entirely fixed resource.

I could be wrong of course, but this seems like the easiest way to curtail C without completely shutting it down. Plus, it kinda seems like something they'd do if you ask me. Granted, I've NEVER experienced this sort of content with an MMO before, so I might be overlooking something that's obvious to everyone else.

Well this line seems to imply there will be some instancing:

You may run into other Alliances on the islands, it is not instanced to every individual alliance

Also if it was truly open world I don't think they would need to mention that you could run into others since this would be obvious.

Oh there will be plenty of drama, I don't expect them to learn any lessons from before.

WolvenOne

Well this line seems to imply there will be some instancing:

Also if it was truly open world I don't think they would need to mention that you could run into others since this would be obvious.

Yes, that's what got me thinking along those lines. And it makes sense to do it that way.

AwShucks

Just have to say, I'm level 17 THM, for ARC and ARCH to level 4 and have begun the post starting city quests.

I'm enjoying it a lot. Yes it's go here, kill x, run around. But I like the Ul'dah story and I'm liking what I've seen of the overall story.

I do wish I could summon pets as any class though!

B-Dex

Just have to say, I'm level 17 THM, for ARC and ARCH to level 4 and have begun the post starting city quests.

I'm enjoying it a lot. Yes it's go here, kill x, run around. But I like the Ul'dah story and I'm liking what I've seen of the overall story.

I do wish I could summon pets as any class though!

Minions!

The xxxflare spam from SMNs is getting kind of old in PvP. They're the only class that can still do the chase down and put out that level of damage while being mobile. I feel like I have to go DRK a lot of time for the sake of mere survival. Not even DA + Darkmind is enough a lot of the time to deal with it.

Ken

The xxxflare spam from SMNs is getting kind of old in PvP. They're the only class that can still do the chase down and put out that level of damage while being mobile. I feel like I have to go DRK a lot of time for the sake of mere survival. Not even DA + Darkmind is enough a lot of the time to deal with it.

MCH is kind of decent at chasing with Invig/Enliven sprints, and prepped Clean/Slug Shot into Rapid Fire shots, plus bind+BttE.

MCH is kind of decent at chasing with Invig/Enliven sprints, and prepped Clean/Slug Shot into Rapid Fire shots, plus bind+BttE.

Eh, its nowhere near as intolerable as having dots > festers > flares dump on your face in the span of less than 30 seconds though. The only thing thats worse is having back to back Fell cleaves dump on you, but thats nowhere near as bad as the xxxflare spam. You always know its coming too cause you'll have all 3 dots up on you at once, forcing the DA + mind card if its available.

I've stopped coming DPS, save for the random MCH forays, for that reason alone.

Ken

Eh, its nowhere near as intolerable as having dots > festers > flares dump on your face in the span of less than 30 seconds though. The only thing thats worse is having back to back Fell cleaves dump on you, but thats nowhere near as bad as the xxxflare spam. You always know its coming too cause you'll have all 3 dots up on you at once, forcing the DA + mind card if its available.

30 seconds? You mean 5.

Critical Elk

Neo Member

On the upside, we're basically wet noodles after that burst for the next 60s.

30 seconds? You mean 5.

I say less than 30 because I usually live for about that long even with buffs before the horde notices I have low health and I get stun locked into oGCD death. Sometimes I get to run away with walking dead proced and then purify that away, but a lot of the time people will continue the chase just to get the "kill" :/

On the upside, we're basically wet noodles after that burst for the next 60s.

That would be a thing if ranged dps didn't have such a large advantage vs melee in terms of movement speed and mobility. Its tricky not to get zoned if you don't have a gap closer like Plunge, which is why I prefer coming DRK a lot of the time. Without a native TP refresh outside of Enliven. however, your basically fucked. A deliverance'd Equilibrium has become a godsend, but I don't have an equivalent for DRK or PLD.

Can't wait until I get WAR to 60 so I can fell cleave those glass cannons in Seize.

Let's not ignore the fact that BRD is armed with a pea shooter in pvp.

Ferr986

There will be some instancing for sure, either multiple instances of the same island as you said or different islands to select.

There's no way it's totally uninstanced and for everyone. It wouldnt work.

This is why you have a somebody chain sleep them to interrupt that crap. Also you need better healers or don't be out of range of them or don't go on your own if you're not confident in your 1v1 skills.

Sorian

Banned
There will be some instancing for sure, either multiple instances of the same island as you said or different islands to select.

There's no way it's totally uninstanced and for everyone. It wouldnt work.

Let me stop you at the bolded and remind you that this is SE.

AwShucks

black mage is easy mode up till 60 lol
you're still a thaumaturge right? get protect as a cross class skill from conjurer, it helps tremendously at soloing

Yeah. I haven't had trouble yet which is why I only bothered to get Physick. I'm level 20 right now so I'm hoping it won't be worth it to get protect before 30 (since I won't be able to use it as a BLM anyways).

Questions...how long does the FC application usually take? And if for some reason it's denied, how will I know?

Sifl

When I use a skill off GCD, then the damage doesn't register and it immediately becomes available to use again, is that server lag? It's been happening more frequently and I'm messing up my rotations a lot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When I use a skill off GCD, then the damage doesn't register and it immediately becomes available to use again, is that server lag? It's been happening more frequently and I'm messing up my rotations a lot.

Yes, are you on PS3/PS4 or PC?

Mattiator

There's not much to it just gotta lv miner to 50, gear up a bit, and go to the node at a specific in game time. You want lv 3 Thanalan soil for crossbreeding plants (5am West Than) and lv 3 Shroud soil (6am South Shroud) for increased crop yields on stuff you're not crossbreeding.

If this is the first time you're leveling a DoL class; gather everything in your gathering log at least once for exp, do your class quest every 5 levels, unlock the Challenge Log if you haven't for the DoL weekly exp, do the daily GC turn in, around lv 20 do leves and pickup some exp buff manuals from your GC vendor, when doing leves don't forget you can pop a cordial to restore gp.

Thanks for the response :) Amazing post. This is my first DoL class so I will follow your directions.

WolvenOne

A couple things.

1: Does anyone have a good rotation for getting Counterfoils? In the past I've mainly gotten them through mistakes in my regular Collectable rotation, but now that I'm down to my last piece of mining gear I can't seem to hit it even after using a rotation another Gatherer suggested. I always seem to be just a few points short.

2: I still haven't really started on the Red Crafting Gathering Scrips grind. Am I safe to assume that if they increase the scrips per-turn-in in the future, that the whole grind becomes less annoying?

3: Think we'll get anything unexpected in 3.1, as a result of the delay? I mean I know the delay is in large part due to much of the team taking a vacation, but surely some members of the team will be getting extra time to work on stuff as a result? Riiight? Riiiiiiight? ;_;

4: Sounds like the director of Dragon Quest 10 might be having health issues. Guess this is a reminder that people working on these sorts of games need down-time and such too. Hope YoshiP is doing okay.

PS: How many airships can a single FC have? I might be willing to help secure the mats and such if we can make another.

You need to Utmost Caution 4 times while hitting instinctual Appraisal 4 times and praying for a proc. Final one is Discerning and Methodical to get over 530

iammeiam

3: Think we'll get anything unexpected in 3.1, as a result of the delay? I mean I know the delay is in large part due to much of the team taking a vacation, but surely some members of the team will be getting extra time to work on stuff as a result? Riiight? Riiiiiiight? ;_;

No; nothing about the way 3.0 played out has me expecting 'extras' in 3.1. Since 2.5 that've seemed far more interested in delaying things to drip-feed us content to try and extend the life of the same amount of content without having to create more. Im more surprised that the minion game, relic, or airship exploration haven't been pushed to 3.11 or 3.15 yet than anything. I'm expecting a Live Letter at the FATE that will focus primarily on relic stuff and random side quests (Hildebrand's return.) The tail end of 2.x and 3.0 are dragging on for a really long time (2.5 was in January!) because of capacity issues surrounding the expansion, and the expansion itself didn't really contain anything surprising; at this point I'm mostly curious to see how they handle 3.2. Will we end up back on a normal patch cycle or will things still be protracted?

Kenai

A couple things.

1: Does anyone have a good rotation for getting Counterfoils? In the past I've mainly gotten them through mistakes in my regular Collectable rotation, but now that I'm down to my last piece of mining gear I can't seem to hit it even after using a rotation another Gatherer suggested. I always seem to be just a few points short.

2: I still haven't really started on the Red Crafting Gathering Scrips grind. Am I safe to assume that if they increase the scrips per-turn-in in the future, that the whole grind becomes less annoying?

PS: How many airships can a single FC have? I might be willing to help secure the mats and such if we can make another.

What do you consider annoying about it now? It took me forever to start it too and outside of meeting the requirements to gather in the first place, it isn't nearly as bad as i originally thought. One sufficient gatherer or crafter can gather all necessary scripts for the week and then you can basically spend it how you like. It really is a mirror of Law/Eso tomes. I expect it to remain similar for the foreseeable future in that the latest nodes have the latest req's for turn ins to keep people on their toes. It's actually easier with more capable classes in a way since you have more options for nodes/synths at any given time, but GP/node mats will gate you quite a bit anyway. The red will probably always be hardest and take into account current limits and the current top end gear will go blue as it is replaced.

Also, for unexpected, it seems a lot of folks still aren't aware of the
Hildebrand teaser
and there are a lot of things that they have mentioned over the months that are QoL related or just fun. Pretty much all of the mid tier content they have already started in 2.x is getting stuff added to it, like Gold Saucer and Beastman dailies and such. There is likely more unannounced but being excited for announcements of announcements is a pretty bad GAF meme and I'd rather not go down that dark road.

This is why you have a somebody chain sleep them to interrupt that crap. Also you need better healers or don't be out of range of them or don't go on your own if you're not confident in your 1v1 skills.

The flames on aether don't usually have a lot of healers, and as far as Goblin is concerned PvP is dead, so I don't really have a PvP group. I wind up having to play a more defensive game more often than not. Icarus wings and the like help, but sometimes shit happens. It's not often you'll be doing a 1vs1 game either in seize. The horde is a thing. If I have CDs I can bring a ranged dps down no sweat 1vs1-DRK and WAR burst is that good. Most of the time however ranged dps don't travel alone. The smart ones will hover around a healer.

Its just the amount of damage a SMN can bring gets ridiculous I mean look at this shit, this was one of my better games on WAR too:

Cidolfas%20Orlandu%2009_21_2015%2000_28_12_zpstnp8n4td.jpg

WolvenOne

No; nothing about the way 3.0 played out has me expecting 'extras' in 3.1. Since 2.5 that've seemed far more interested in delaying things to drip-feed us content to try and extend the life of the same amount of content without having to create more. Im more surprised that the minion game, relic, or airship exploration haven't been pushed to 3.11 or 3.15 yet than anything. I'm expecting a Live Letter at the FATE that will focus primarily on relic stuff and random side quests (Hildebrand's return.) The tail end of 2.x and 3.0 are dragging on for a really long time (2.5 was in January!) because of capacity issues surrounding the expansion, and the expansion itself didn't really contain anything surprising; at this point I'm mostly curious to see how they handle 3.2. Will we end up back on a normal patch cycle or will things still be protracted?

Well, they said in the past that they have five major patches planned for 3.X, and that they want to go through them in less time than 2.X took, so they can get to the next expansion more quickly. So unless they decide to make each patch bigger to compensate I think chances are we'll get closer to something like the old 2.X patch schedule after 3.1.

Also, I suspect the reason they didn't delay Sky Island Exploration to 3.11 or 5 or whatever, is because it's likely to be the main attraction of this patch. I suspect the patch would look a bit slim without it.

As for the extra's, I was thinking more along the line of amusing side-quests or something. Considering that even simple trials take awhile to throw together, it seems unlikely that we'd be getting anything that wasn't already planned.

What do you consider annoying about it now? It took me forever to start it too and outside of meeting the requirements to gather in the first place, it isn't nearly as bad as i originally thought. One sufficient gatherer or crafter can gather all necessary scripts for the week and then you can basically spend it how you like. It really is a mirror of Law/Eso tomes. I expect it to remain similar for the foreseeable future in that the latest nodes have the latest req's for turn ins to keep people on their toes. It's actually easier with more capable classes in a way since you have more options for nodes/synths at any given time, but GP/node mats will gate you quite a bit anyway. The red will probably always be hardest and take into account current limits and the current top end gear will go blue as it is replaced.

Also, for unexpected, it seems a lot of folks still aren't aware of the
Hildebrand teaser
and there are a lot of things that they have mentioned over the months that are QoL related or just fun. Pretty much all of the mid tier content they have already started in 2.x is getting stuff added to it, like Gold Saucer and Beastman dailies and such. There is likely more unannounced but being excited for announcements of announcements is a pretty bad GAF meme and I'd rather not go down that dark road.

Mostly the amount of crap I have together to do the grind. I'm not all that well geared to begin with, so if I want to do it I'll need at least some HQ mats, that takes extra time and inventory space. :p The gathering Scrip grind isn't bad though, I usually finish it by Sunday or Monday without putting in any real effort.

Anyhow, I'm aware that more dailies are coming, and Hildebrand seems likely (but not confirmed.) Dunno, was just wondering how likely it is that they'd truly surprise me with something during the next Live Letter.

Kenai

Well, they said in the past that they have five major patches planned for 3.X, and that they want to go through them in less time than 2.X took, so they can get to the next expansion more quickly. So unless they decide to make each patch bigger to compensate I think chances are we'll get closer to something like the old 2.X patch schedule after 3.1.

Also, I suspect the reason they didn't delay Sky Island Exploration to 3.11 or 5 or whatever, is because it's likely to be the main attraction of this patch. I suspect the patch would look a bit slim without it.

As for the extra's, I was thinking more along the line of amusing side-quests or something. Considering that even simple trials take awhile to throw together, it seems unlikely that we'd be getting anything that wasn't already planned.

Mostly the amount of crap I have together to do the grind. I'm not all that well geared to begin with, so if I want to do it I'll need at least some HQ mats, that takes extra time and inventory space. :p The gathering Scrip grind isn't bad though, I usually finish it by Sunday or Monday without putting in any real effort.

Anyhow, I'm aware that more dailies are coming, and Hildebrand seems likely (but not confirmed.) Dunno, was just wondering how likely it is that they'd truly surprise me with something during the next Live Letter.

Well, the main elephant in the room that they haven't talked about much at all is the Relic quest, which could be surprising (in a good or bad way). Outside of that and potential MSQ twists, I don't see myself surprised by an announcement of anything either. Well, i guess I could be surprised by the training center or whatever it was called but I am not even sure that is 3.1. Then again, I'm pretty happen with the announcements overall, for the time being. It's the scheduling I dislike.Jjust because it's not as bad as WoW's year long content stretches doesn't mean it's not long.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
By Hildibrand teaser you mean the benchmark easter egg?
That seems like reaching farther than people who conclude the 3.1 trail is Doomtrain based on a speech bubble.

WolvenOne

Well, the main elephant in the room that they haven't talked about much at all is the Relic quest, which could be surprising (in a good or bad way). Outside of that and potential MSQ twists, I don't see myself surprised by an announcement of anything either. Well, i guess I could be surprised by the training center or whatever it was called but I am not even sure that is 3.1. Then again, I'm pretty happen with the announcements overall, for the time being. It's the scheduling I dislike.Jjust because it's not as bad as WoW's year long content stretches doesn't mean it's not long.

Yeeeah, as Angary pointed out, it's kinda compounded by the delay it took to get the Expansion out as well. It means a lot of players already went back and did a lot of the side projects they're most interested in. All of this is understandable and all that. The expansion was pretty big all things considered and YoshiP and company deserved some time off, but dang.

Still, keeping sane. I've got plenty of stuff I can casually poke at until the next patch. Just, really eager to sink my teeth into some new content.

Top Bottom