• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Qvoth

spent fucking eso and gobcoat on the wrong fucking accessory, missed prey online as i went into a trial roulette that can't even clear fucking nabriales
z
LLShC.gif

Garlador

spent fucking eso and gobcoat on the wrong fucking accessory, missed prey online as i went into a trial roulette that can't even clear fucking nabriales
z
LLShC.gif

I've sent a whole week now waiting for a group that can clear Garuda EX. I keep getting stuck with tanks and healers that have no early clue what they're doing.

... I just want my ponies.

I can't imagine dealing with fresh meat for some of the newer content.

AwShucks

Hooray, I'm in the FC.

So...how can I be a contributing member as somebody who is mostly doing MSQ? Just join parties if anyone is looking to run a dungeon or something? I certainly don't have excess gil to give at the moment. Haven't crafted anything yet (not that whatever I could craft would be worthwhile).

WolvenOne

Yeah, I like the final phase. I don't really care for the parts you have to go through to get there though.

Honestly, considering the length of the final phase, I think they may have geared the first few phases a bit too high. Still, that's probably just me. *shrug*

WolvenOne

The last phase is still a DPS check though.

Oh, I know. I mean the way I'm looking at it, it appears to me that the first few phases were intended to introduce people to mechanics, and the last phase threw the bulk of all previous mechanics at the party at once. In that respect the first few phases are meant to be primer's, and considering how much trouble people have they're pretty strict for primer's.

But, oh well, no point bemoaning the fact.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well it's the overall fight enrage timer at that point. Unless you mean the handy jail specifically.

Yeah there is the gaol but with the gear level right now it's not bad at all as long as the stuns get off. People dying in the last phase really sucks though :<

AwShucks

Question! I'm seeing places online that say if you buy Heavensward then the MSQ will give 2x the experience for the quests. Can anyone confirm this? I'm likely going to be playing Heavensward at some point, so if I could level up quicker while doing the MSQ I might have to take advantage of that now.

Wilsongt

Question! I'm seeing places online that say if you buy Heavensward then the MSQ will give 2x the experience for the quests. Can anyone confirm this? I'm likely going to be playing Heavensward at some point, so if I could level up quicker while doing the MSQ I might have to take advantage of that now.

That's pretty much BS... I can't see how buying the game would give double EXP. Unless they are talking about 2.0 - 2.55 giving more EXP, which is true.

So I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I just need to make sure I'm not crazy. I'm leveling DRG through Heavensward and just hit 58.

Does anyone find it super weird that DRG basically gets worse once you do your 58 job quest? When you get Wheeling Thrust, you go from having only Fang and Claw in your rotation to suddenly having to react to which of your two 4th tier finishers is activated, and you receive actually 0 benefit for the increased complexity. I mean I understand why it works this way on the whole, I even like the dynamic gameplay of having to react on the spot to which positional you have to use. But it's just super odd from a progression standpoint that my rotation complexity has gone up without any benefit. Like they should have just given me both at the same time.

Not a big deal, just kind of head-scratching.

Glad I stuck through the post-2.0 MSQ grind. Heavensward's story so far has been pretty great.

WolvenOne

Its, kinda weird I agree. I guess they didn't want the class to be too easy to play given how potent it would end up being at 60, but it's still a weird little mechanic.

Squishy3

So I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I just need to make sure I'm not crazy. I'm leveling DRG through Heavensward and just hit 58.

Does anyone find it super weird that DRG basically gets worse once you do your 58 job quest? When you get Wheeling Thrust, you go from having only Fang and Claw in your rotation to suddenly having to react to which of your two 4th tier finishers is activated, and you receive actually 0 benefit for the increased complexity. I mean I understand why it works this way on the whole, I even like the dynamic gameplay of having to react on the spot to which positional you have to use. But it's just super odd from a progression standpoint that my rotation complexity has gone up without any benefit. Like they should have just given me both at the same time.

Not a big deal, just kind of head-scratching.

Glad I stuck through the post-2.0 MSQ grind. Heavensward's story so far has been pretty great.
it becomes a complete non-issue once you get used to it, and geirskogul makes it worth it, because you also get another 200 potency skill to use whenever you're at or over 23 seconds of blood of the dragon, so you're dealing 400 potency in one GCD and you're back up to being able to use a geirskogul again without letting botd fall off within 2 fang and claw or wheeling thrusts

just takes some adjustment, i really like the flow of dragoon right now

So many Alex Savage statics begging for a BRD, don't think I care about raiding that much to subject myself to 3.0 BRD. Guess no one wants a ninja

Sifl

I don't mind the Dragoon thing, but it would've made more sense for wheeling thrust / sharper fang to be useable depending on which combo you finished instead of randomness.

BadRNG

So many Alex Savage statics begging for a BRD, don't think I care about raiding that much to subject myself to 3.0 BRD. Guess no one wants a ninja
Not many good ones out there (MCH either), add in play style change and it's not big surprise.

I don't mind the Dragoon thing, but it would've made more sense for wheeling thrust / sharper fang to be useable depending on which combo you finished instead of randomness.
That only makes more sense if their goal was to make things easier on the player, but I think it was the exact opposite. They wanted to add some difficulty to the class and keep you on your toes more. I like it, makes the job more fun.

That said, it is a bummer they essentially wasted a new skill slot. They could of made it a single skill that changes the flank bonus RNG like it is now, and then added a completely new skill.

Personally i think the randomness is fine, makes the gameplay a little more dynamic and less robotic I guess, it's just the order in which you get the abilities makes it feel awkward as hell. If a player got both finishers at the same time, it would be easier to just accept the mechanic, but getting one and then the other two levels later means your rotation just gets harder for no benefit.

Again it's not a big deal, just kind of a weird choice, design wise.

Sifl

Yea, it's not difficult at all to get used to it, also I agree with the another skill thing. It's ashame that 2 of the 5 skills basically function as the same exact thing, wasting a skill slot. They could have made it so they both unlock at the same time and make a new skill. At least it isn't like Monk's Purification, such a massive waste.

Yea, it's not difficult at all to get used to it, also I agree with the another skill thing. It's ashame that 2 of the 5 skills basically function as the same exact thing, wasting a skill slot. They could have made it so they both unlock at the same time and make a new skill. At least it isn't like Monk's Purification, such a massive waste.

Purification is a godsend in a2s. I switched from monk in that fight with no tp problems to dragoon and my tp is suffering in there.

Sifl

Purification is a godsend in a2s. I switched from monk in that fight with no tp problems to dragoon and my tp is suffering in there.
I don't raid, didn't know it had it's uses for AS. My comment was more about casual play. Invigorate is usually enough by itself, at least for me.

IvorB

Nael is probably the hardest coil unsynced. Don't get me wrong it's hilariously easier but you still have to do a good portion of the mechanics (and is probably easier with 4 people instead of 8 due to how they work).

I have absolutely no doubt she'll still put up a good fight.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So is it too late to start a toon in this game or is there still low level population ?
It's never too late to start playing an MMO and I still see sprouts (new players) running around everyday.

AwShucks

Got to the first Primal last night. Good guy party member filled me in on what to expect. Went pretty quick but visually and tactically was probably the most fun fight so far.

Also, it seems like the story is gearing up with some new characters being introduced. I really like all the Ul'dah stuff (it's where I started). Anyways, still enjoying it. Level 24 right now so getting close to BLM :)

WolvenOne

Got to the first Primal last night. Good guy party member filled me in on what to expect. Went pretty quick but visually and tactically was probably the most fun fight so far.

Also, it seems like the story is gearing up with some new characters being introduced. I really like all the Ul'dah stuff (it's where I started). Anyways, still enjoying it. Level 24 right now so getting close to BLM :)

Yea, compared to what you saw before Ifrit is a really big ramp-up. Things will calm down a little after another level or two, but expect things to gear back up about level, thirty three or so.

Though I guess Haukke Manor is coming up, and that was a neat little diversion. XD

Garlador

Man, I would love to experience the Binding Coils of Bahamut content, or the Primal Extremes, and I thought Heavensward content would make finding better-equipped groups easier, but that's hardly been the case at all.

I keep getting stuck with new players who have no idea what they're doing, can't follow directions, and keep wiping party after party.

... Granted, I'm one of those "new" players myself, but after two weeks of watching videos and dying in the fights, I think I at least have a solid understanding of what NOT to do.

I should see about transferring my character to Ultros and playing with you guys.

Is Coil still hard at 60? I've never done it either.

No. At 60 you are basically face rolling through phases if most of the people know what they are doing

To new players on GAF/Ultros, help night is typically Friday nights. Doing early coil turns is fun and normally easy to get a group for. Please sign up on the guildworks site or bother felix rivers in game.

Garlador

No. At 60 you are basically face rolling through phases if most of the people know what they are doing

Depends on the Coil. Turn 5 and Turn 9 can still obliterate a party if they don't have the mechanics down.

... I have not beaten any Coils yet. Should I attempt them desynced? Doing them "legit" with Duty Finder is an exercise in frustration.

Top Bottom