• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

aceface

Tia, there is a new type of side quest they announced but didn't say anything else about other than the announcement. "Quests for the Saint Endalim Scholasticate."

WolvenOne

Basically you launch a program to connect to WTFast, then the game launches and you log in normally. It definitely helps, but it's no silver bullet either. If there's an underlying problem with your connection that's game breaking WTFast probably won't fix it.

Now I'm going to ask because I just got the game for PC, what is and how does this "wtfast" work? Should I, a Bahamut fearing man be using it.

The jist of it, as i understand it, is that everyone is routed to SE servers in a certain way. Many times its through traffic heavy hubs in major cities and using wtf fast, you can make it so that your route to the server in Montreal avoid certain hubs that may introduce lag.

There are people that swear by it, but the 3/4 people in my raid group that used it claim there is no difference for them. So it likely depends on your connection/isp and location that will determine if its useful

Pachimari

I feel like I am growing one level each day, which feels great.

Some quests, one in particular, seemed way easier than it used to be a year ago.

xezuru

What has given you guys the best results from WTFast?
I've tried using it because I'm west coast US, and it seemed like nothing really helped any noticeable amount.

You choose servers closest to you? closest to square's canada servers? or in between?

Kenai

By Hildibrand teaser you mean the benchmark easter egg?
That seems like reaching farther than people who conclude the 3.1 trail is Doomtrain based on a speech bubble.

Is it really? I mean, Hildebrand is arguably one of FF!4's most popular side events to the point where it's all but certain to be coming at some point, and they went out of their way to put something in the benchmark at a specific date.

Would it really be surprising if they added that stuff in in 3.1? It might be later of course, but if they are gonna put in "episodic" content like that, they usually have to start sooner rather than later.

AwShucks

Do FCs have a Linkshell associated with them automatically? What's the GAF application turnaround time usually like (I applied Saturday night, I'm being impatient I know)?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
PS4. Would that really make a difference tho?

if you were on pc you could use wtfast or something like that to help w/ lag/latency issues

what Irfaa said.

Also one other suggestion is that if you are playing on wireless, don't.

What has given you guys the best results from WTFast?
I've tried using it because I'm west coast US, and it seemed like nothing really helped any noticeable amount.

You choose servers closest to you? closest to square's canada servers? or in between?

I try and choose the one closest to the server, which is Montreal.

The flames on aether don't usually have a lot of healers, and as far as Goblin is concerned PvP is dead, so I don't really have a PvP group. I wind up having to play a more defensive game more often than not. Icarus wings and the like help, but sometimes shit happens. It's not often you'll be doing a 1vs1 game either in seize. The horde is a thing. If I have CDs I can bring a ranged dps down no sweat 1vs1-DRK and WAR burst is that good. Most of the time however ranged dps don't travel alone. The smart ones will hover around a healer.

Its just the amount of damage a SMN can bring gets ridiculous I mean look at this shit, this was one of my better games on WAR too:

Cidolfas%20Orlandu%2009_21_2015%2000_28_12_zpstnp8n4td.jpg

You don't do 1v1 in Seize really, but you're 1v1 skills are useful in certain situations when you're roaming between nodes for whatever reason. If you come across another tank/dps, and nobody is around, you can either move on or engage (or they may engage you). Being lazy/complacent when free roaming alone in Seize is an easy way to get killed. You can say don't roam alone, but in truth when groups call for you to spread out for new nodes, you realistically will sometimes be left alone for a small amount of time.

Some of the more serious PVP players do engage in organized 1v1 matches in Seize. These are arranged over mumble or chat - from what I've seen, these players on the primal servers have a way to communicate when they're in a match and then let everyone rush off in their directions and then arrange a spot away from the groups to duel. Support characters come to try to prevent interference from pugs. The rule for support characters is you can watch, but you can't interfere. Both combatants are also not allowed to use buffs from other players at the start (no Stone Skin, Protect, Regen, AST card, Galvanize, etc).

There are also times where smaller groups of players from an alliance will team up to try to take on a full alliance or larger group than themselves as a display of skill. They know what they're doing, too, and usually all of them come out alive.

As for having to play a defensive game...

We had a match last night where RNG literally kept giving us a node sammiched between the other nodes, and we simply stayed grouped and fought off the GCs. We did not lose our node, we had very few deaths, nobody wandered too far away, and we killed a lot of them. Despite never holding the majority of the nodes, we won because we had many more kills and less deaths than the other GCs. It's all about picking a spot to defend. And defending it properly - whether that's fighting on the node to ensure you are always in range of heals and defensive bubbles, clogging up bottlenecks, or using the high ground to your benefit.

It's obvious, but organization and teamwork are key to winning Seize. The moment a significant part of your team doesn't follow the plan, it can cost you the match.

As for the image: That is a lot of damage output. Guess you can't really inflate your DPS numbers since the point is to do as much damage, but when it comes to healing that's another story. Somebody was telling me the best healers in pvp put up 1.2-1.5M heals. I was like "okay, was it legit healing or overhealing to inflate". I'm sure if you wanted to, you can have multi-million healing numbers if you just spammed heals non-stop as much as you could for a match lasting around 10 mins. The highest legit healing I think I've done is around 900K when we were being zerged a lot on our nodes. But healing numbers mean jack. We've had matches where I've done only just over 100K healing and it was a sound win. It's just situational. I don't put too much faith in the numbers for the sake of seeing how high you can get. I think comparing them to what others did and the context of how the match played it is more important. If you weren't challenged a lot in the match, both DPS and HPS should be very low. If you were getting slammed, DPS and HPS should be much higher since you had to put up a fight.

suzu

Do FCs have a Linkshell associated with them automatically? What's the GAF application turnaround time usually like (I applied Saturday night, I'm being impatient I know)?

No. Just make sure you applied to both GAF's guildwork site and in-game, and someone will let you in eventually.

AwShucks

No. Just make sure you applied to both GAF's guildwork site and in-game, and someone will let you in eventually.

Cool, yeah I did the guildwork thing last week then finally got to apply in game over the weekend. Thanks! I'll try and be patient :)

Sifl

Any Monk players can tell me when to use Fracture? Is it better to just apply it whenever or try to line it up with Demolish?

Xux

Any Monk players can tell me when to use Fracture? Is it better to just apply it whenever or try to line it up with Demolish?
I prioritize Greased Lightning and use it like Touch of Death after I've reapplied GL. So, usually I do DK > TwS > SP > Fracture > BS > TrS > Demolish > Touch of Death and then swap Demolish and Snap Punch and reapply the other two DoTs depending on the duration.

This might be really unoptimal but heck if I know.

Hey guys I was booted from gather against fate on ultros, due to inactivity i presume. I'm back semi regular. I wasn't really to much into the group stuff but I tried to help where I could and I enjoyed watching the chatter in my chat feed. Any way someone could tell me how I might get back in? I tried messaging maple cookie on the guildworks forum, was that the right thing to do?

Jayhawk

You fit in Fracture when you know you're not going to drop Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes by using it. You fit in Fracture when you know you are going to be clipping a tick of Demolish by applying it a tad early or missing out on a couple ticks by not reapplying it until the next rotation.

The usual situation would be Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Fracture -> Demolish.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hey guys I was booted from gather against fate on ultros, due to inactivity i presume. I'm back semi regular. I wasn't really to much into the group stuff but I tried to help where I could and I enjoyed watching the chatter in my chat feed. Any way someone could tell me how I might get back in? I tried messaging maple cookie on the guildworks forum, was that the right thing to do?

If you run across a member of GAF you can right click them to fill out a guild app. Just mention you were in the guild before.

I think there is a way to do it without right clicking a member, but I am not sure how to do it.

If you run across a member of GAF you can right click them to fill out a guild app. Just mention you were in the guild before.

I think there is a way to do it without right clicking a member, but I am not sure how to do it.
yeah I'm looking through the search stuff right now. Maybe I'll just go hang out in one of the main cities. Haven't unlocked heavensward content yet so I"m guess most of us are there by now :( ah well I unlocked the dungeon for it maybe I'll go tackle it now.

Sifl

I prioritize Greased Lightning and use it like Touch of Death after I've reapplied GL. So, usually I do DK > TwS > SP > Fracture > BS > TrS > Demolish > Touch of Death and then swap Demolish and Snap Punch and reapply the other two DoTs depending on the duration.

This might be really unoptimal but heck if I know.

You fit in Fracture when you know you're not going to drop Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes by using it. You fit in Fracture when you know you are going to be clipping a tick of Demolish by applying it a tad early or missing out on a couple ticks by not reapplying it until the next rotation.

The usual situation would be Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Fracture -> Demolish.
Thanks for the advice. Almost had it, was doing Demo -> Fracture. I still have this situation where eventually Demo, Fracture and ToD all are about to drop at the same time, usually during the 2nd or 3rd reapply. Gonna see if this advice fixes that, but I might just be using ToD at the wrong time.

yeah I'm looking through the search stuff right now. Maybe I'll just go hang out in one of the main cities. Haven't unlocked heavensward content yet so I"m guess most of us are there by now :( ah well I unlocked the dungeon for it maybe I'll go tackle it now.

if you go to mist ward 1 there'll be a lot of gaf ppl

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If anyone in the Ultros FC wants some airship mats for a Company Tabrd/Hat/Shield, Toy Box, Stuffed Carbuncle (this one is pretty rare so wait might be a while), Iron Dwarf minion, or the Mog Chandelier (super rare, gonna take forever) just post what you want in the housing thread over at guildworks.

PS: How many airships can a single FC have? I might be willing to help secure the mats and such if we can make another.
4 airships per fc right now. They've said more are coming in future patches and eventually battleships will also be available. Out of our 4, 3 are lv 50 (current max rank) and I'm pretty happy with their builds. The last ship is lv ~30 and we'll probably need to build new parts for it soon. We'll most likely need darksteel ore, cobalt ore, aqueous whetstones, coke, hardsilver nuggets, and mythrite ingots.

We also need mats for the fc wheels, specifically Seventh Heaven (btn folklore book, 5pm churning mist slot 1), Astral Moraine (mnr folklore book, 5am coerthas west slot 4), and Duskborne Aethersand.

Game is a bit dead right now, you'll have better luck going to Mist Ward 1 to reapply.

BadRNG

A3S is more fun in Phase 4.
I think the fight starts getting fun with adds, though phase four is fun too. It reminds me of Titan EX in someways, feels daunting at first but the pattern is not too complicated and you have lots of time. All the colors and effects makes it look worse than it is.

First two phases are boring.

Ravidrath

Fuck this dungeon, fuck Expert Roulette.

It really says something when I'm actively excited when I get Fractal Continuum.

Which mostly comes down to the bosses not having mechanics that interupt my Dreadwyrm Trances, and the Sakuraba-esque music.

I'd really like them do something, like... make Expert Roulette include the dungeons from the previous update, too, just to get some more variety in there.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Quick question: I'm thinking of resubbing for a month or two but where I left off I'm a long way from getting to Heavensward. Is there anything substantial I miss out on if I don't buy the expansion or can I just enjoy the patch content?

IvorB

Quick question: I'm thinking of resubbing for a month or two but where I left off I'm a long way from getting to Heavensward. Is there anything substantial I miss out on if I don't buy the expansion or can I just enjoy the patch content?

Just playing as the goat people, three new jobs and small amounts of post-50 XP.

RPGCrazied

Not even halfway to level 48, please tell me more quests open up somewhere? The next story quest for me is 49. Levequests are so boring. Fates, usually when I try and do them, I'm like the only one there. I guess nobody plays during the day.

IvorB

That's the Teraflare phase transition from T13.

Oh wow. Final Coil is still on my to do list. Maybe something to do in this upcoming quiet period. I've noticed a few unsynched T9 clear parties but they've been at inopportune times. Now that everyone is at level 60 hopefully Nael will stop cock-blocking...

WolvenOne

Not even halfway to level 48, please tell me more quests open up somewhere? The next story quest for me is 49. Levequests are so boring. Fates, usually when I try and do them, I'm like the only one there. I guess nobody plays during the day.

I think there are a few at the Scion headquarters in Vesper Bay.

IvorB

Are you using your challenge log? Also you should be able to find FATEs that you can solo, especially if you have your choco.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow. Final Coil is still on my to do list. Maybe something to do in this upcoming quiet period. I've noticed a few unsynched T9 clear parties but they've been at inopportune times. Now that everyone is at level 60 hopefully Nael will stop cock-blocking...
Nael is probably the hardest coil unsynced. Don't get me wrong it's hilariously easier but you still have to do a good portion of the mechanics (and is probably easier with 4 people instead of 8 due to how they work).
is it 3.1 yet
It is in our hearts if we truly beljust play metal gear.

Top Bottom