• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Squishy3

I've done that one before and didn't notice anything (should mention that I know almost nothing about Hunter x Hunter other than a few characters).

What was the reference?
A character does a few actions specifically similar to a character from Hunter x Hunter. It's not the exact same but it's close enough I don't think it's a coincidence.

Don't have comparison pictures, but basically Wegmarr takes a whiff of something in a pipe , exhales a big cloud of smoke and powers himself up and then strikes a pose and a character in late Hunter x Hunter has a giant pipe and does something similar. Doesn't power himself up but his power is based around his pipe and the smoke he exhales from it.

Tabris

Here is the song we wrote for A3S.

This is the fight that never ends
It goes on and on my friends
Some people started fighting
Not knowing what it was
And they'll keep on fighting forever just because...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Here is the song we wrote for A3S.

This is the fight that never ends
It goes on and on my friends
Some people started fighting
Not knowing what it was
And they'll keep on fighting forever just because...

3K HP

FML

seriously

fuck. that. fight.

Tabris

I'm probably crazy but hoping to catch on with an EU static so I can experience A3S hell.

It can't be that bad...

It wouldn't be so bad if...

1) It was better tiered / phased.
2) There was something more then gear and bragging to clear (i.e. story)
3) The music wasn't garbage
4) The boss & theme didn't look stupid
5) Overall DPS check wasn't so hard, as I find the mechanics fun

Omni

Soooo I started crafting. Weaver!

Mostly out of boredom. Haha. Is there a general guide available, or just some tips to levelling up? Got to like level 11 in an hour.

WolvenOne

I'm probably crazy but hoping to catch on with an EU static so I can experience A3S hell.

It can't be that bad...

Ain't gonna lie, while I've had some fun with the fight, it's heeeeecka severe. Just be certain that you enjoy running with your groups, cause that's very important in a fight like that.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Boarded the A3 Savage pain train last night. The tank screaming "Fist bump motherfucker" while forgetting what to do with the hands was the hardest I've laughed in ages.

Scrawnton

SO, I am more of a casual player of this game. I like to take breaks in between big content updates and return and play for a couple months to experience the story. With that said, I never got Heavensward because of the timing of the release and other things in life. I just bought it for PS4 yesterday when it was on sale for $20 at amazon. It comes tomorrow. I am redownloading the patches so that I can jump in and clean up some quests and stuff before this shows up tomorrow. I did have a few questions though:

1. I was really bad at the extreme battle for titan, I never beat it. Is not beating it going to hurt me in any way?
2. I never did the Coil, but I did beat and clear several times all three parts of crystal tower, is that okay for the expansion?
3. How long does it really take to unlock the new classes? I am mostly coming back for the dark knight class because I was a Paladin when I played and I want the feeling of a new class but also keep my role as a tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dcye

I'm so close to quitting my raid group and raiding in general because it's just not fun anymore. I just hate every second I spend in that fucking fight. I don't care if we're pushing last phase, nothing about it is remotely fun in any way. The boss looks terrible, the music is terrible, the arena is ugly as shit. No fun at all.

Did not think it would come this early into the games life but I am seriously considering unsubbing, 3.0 was such a gigantic disappointment for me. Couldn't be more underwhelmed with how little the game changed, its ridiculous.

I'm so close to quitting my raid group and raiding in general because it's just not fun anymore. I just hate every second I spend in that fucking fight. I don't care if we're pushing last phase, nothing about it is remotely fun in any way. The boss looks terrible, the music is terrible, the arena is ugly as shit. No fun at all.

Did not think it would come this early into the games life but I am seriously considering unsubbing, 3.0 was such a gigantic disappointment for me. Couldn't be more underwhelmed with how little the game changed, its ridiculous.

Seems to be the theme for many long time players as of late. I feared this the moment they mentioned that the content would be harder than normal Coil this time around. It doesn't help that the theme really sucks for this raid tier. I hate it. I used to be thirsty as hell for raiding, but right now I don't even give a shit.

aceface

Seems to be the theme for many long time players as of late. I feared this the moment they mentioned that the content would be harder than normal Coil this time around. It doesn't help that the theme really sucks for this raid tier. I hate it. I used to be thirsty as hell for raiding, but right now I don't even give a shit.

Well I hope they are watching those sub numbers and adjust accordingly. I'm seeing more long time subscribers drop out now than any other time in the last two years.

Coil difficulty was just fine. I don't care if the 1% groups beat it in a week, introduce something like Savage SCoB if you want something for them to do.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Once you know the entire fight it's not so bad... but man.... the fight is super unforgiving if a mistake is made and after a while you feel like the whole thing is a giant exercise in insanity.

Well I hope they are watching those sub numbers and adjust accordingly. I'm seeing more long time subscribers drop out now than any other time in the last two years.

Coil difficulty was just fine. I don't care if the 1% groups beat it in a week, introduce something like Savage SCoB if you want something for them to do.

Yeah, I think in their attempt at keeping certain people from clearing it quickly they ended up alienating the rest of the people who really get into raiding 2-3 times on a weekly basis.

Once you know the entire fight it's not so bad... but man.... the fight is super unforgiving if a mistake is made and after a while you feel like the whole thing is a giant exercise in insanity.

You raid often, though. A lot of us can't do that even if we wanted to. I don't think these fights should take over 3 months to get down, and A3S sorta looks like "that fight". Look at how much of our own server has even cleared it thus far.

Edit: Looking at the progression thread, it does seem to have jumped up by maybe 3 groups since the last time I checked.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, I think in their attempt at keeping certain people from clearing it quickly they ended up alienating the rest of the people who really get into raiding 2-3 times on a weekly basis.

You raid often, though. A lot of us can't do that even if we wanted to. I don't think these fights should take over 3 months to get down, and A3S sorta looks like "that fight". Look at how much of our own server has even cleared it thus far.

Oh I agree. Turns 4, 8 and 12 were cleared by a lot more people by now in comparison and were far more forgiving for people who went in less. SE will have to consider that for the next tier if they want people to stick around.

I love that A3S is causing such tears and it's not even the last fight ha ha! Sorry, I shouldn't laugh...

Hmmm... I'm not really all that salty about it, I'm just considering the future of the game. Including my own. A4S is even worse of a nightmare so that's where the real salt lies.

IvorB

No, you shouldn't.

Sorry. :-(

Hmmm... I'm not really all that salty about it, I'm just considering the future of the game. Including my own. A4S is even worse of a nightmare so that's where the real salt lies.

Maybe they will consider three tiers next time. It can't be that much effort to tune it down a bit to make a middle tier.

How does this fight compare to other top difficulty raids in other MMOs like WoW?

Valor

It can't be that bad...
It's really not that bad especially at current gear level. It's just another one of those "learn the dance" fights.

It wouldn't be so bad if...
5) Overall DPS check wasn't so hard, as I find the mechanics fun
I really don't see the DPS check being all that difficult. Especially at the current level of gear everyone has it really shouldn't be an issue. We finished a full rotation yesterday and enrage wiped at 17% with a few deaths and a dragoon who had never been past adds before, so it's like... not too terrible?

I mean, I'm not close to quitting raiding or the rest of the first half of your post, but I'm with you on this. The past few weeks I just don't give a fuck enough to log in aside from raiding, and I'm one of those asshats who had been on like every single day and leveled everything to 50 etc etc and I just can't find any fucks to give to do it again. Something about the current state of the endgame in general (not just raiding) just... isn't... fun. I don't know what it is.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really don't see the DPS check being all that difficult. Especially at the current level of gear everyone has it really shouldn't be an issue. We finished a full rotation yesterday and enrage wiped at 17% with a few deaths and a dragoon who had never been past adds before, so it's like... not too terrible?

Tethers are the worst part of the fight, imo.

Have also seen enrage start at 12:45 and 12:52 so that's cool...

iammeiam

It's not too bad at current gearing--you don't need as much bonus DPS from other roles, and it's gotten to the point that if 3 DPS are on point you can potentially float a weaker fourth
WHICH IS GOOD NEWS FOR ME
. That said, it's still at the point that your average group is going to need a mechanically near-perfect execution to pull it off. The low single digit enrages with comparatively tiny mistakes are where it gets aggravating, since each percent of health is still over 35k health I think? Like, the DPS check on a 13 minute Faust would be nothing, but combined with all the mechanics dragging you down and murdering your dudes it's not as easy as it initially looks?

I mean, I'm not close to quitting raiding or the rest of the first half of your post, but I'm with you on this. The past few weeks I just don't give a fuck enough to log in aside from raiding, and I'm one of those asshats who had been on like every single day and leveled everything to 50 etc etc and I just can't find any fucks to give to do it again. Something about the current state of the endgame in general (not just raiding) just... isn't... fun. I don't know what it is.

I kind of think the biggest problem is that raiding is the only thing they really did in a new way. They turned gathering/crafting into a currency capping grind, combat stuff is mostly unchanged aside from Normal slotting in as a CT substitute... And there's no longer an imminent expansion full of potential, and no reason to expect the 3.x patch cycle will deviate from what we've seen in 2.

Of course, I'm still enjoying A3S. It's challenging but fair, and it's actually been really interesting to watch different strategies develop and compare/contrast what works for various groups.

It doesn't help that they've basically taken a half year break before another large patch after HW. I certainly don't expect 3.1 to come till the last week of November and 3.2 till sometime in April of next year.

Sad cause we already know 3.1 isn't gonna be beefy.

Good thing this Fall/Winter season is stuffed full of other games to play because 3.1 hasn't convinced me to return and I don't expect 3.2 till late April because I'm a pessimist and I'm certain they are done with the 3-month update thing.

Garlador

Honestly, it's weird reading about all the challenge difficulties since, while I'm not exactly "new" to the game, I'm still progressing through Heavensward's main scenario and have minimal experience with the endgame content of 2.0 - 2.5.

I can't imagine. I've been trying to clear Garuda Extreme for two weeks, but the parties I've been stuck with are all so inexperienced that everyone wipes constantly, no matter how many times I try and tell them what they should be doing (or not doing).

I need to find a proper Raid group...

Garlador

Can you just purchase the expansion or do you need to purchase the original, too? For people who are just starting.

You absolutely need the original game. This is a true expansion that builds off of the original game, both in mechanics, classes, story, etc.

There is a bundle for both, however, at the original $60 price right now.

dramatis

SO, I am more of a casual player of this game. I like to take breaks in between big content updates and return and play for a couple months to experience the story. With that said, I never got Heavensward because of the timing of the release and other things in life. I just bought it for PS4 yesterday when it was on sale for $20 at amazon. It comes tomorrow. I am redownloading the patches so that I can jump in and clean up some quests and stuff before this shows up tomorrow. I did have a few questions though:

1. I was really bad at the extreme battle for titan, I never beat it. Is not beating it going to hurt me in any way?
2. I never did the Coil, but I did beat and clear several times all three parts of crystal tower, is that okay for the expansion?
3. How long does it really take to unlock the new classes? I am mostly coming back for the dark knight class because I was a Paladin when I played and I want the feeling of a new class but also keep my role as a tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You don't need to beat Extreme Titan to access any newer content now. So you're good. Same goes for Coil, which is a side story that is quite easy now if you try it.

If you're playing through 2.1-2.55 patches, depending on how quickly you drive through the content and what class you are (dps vs tank), you can take a bit of time but Heavensward doesn't take too long to get to. Unfortunately, you have to get to Heavensward in order to play the new classes.

Garlador

You don't need to beat Extreme Titan to access any newer content now. So you're good. Same goes for Coil, which is a side story that is quite easy now if you try it.

If you're playing through 2.1-2.55 patches, depending on how quickly you drive through the content and what class you are (dps vs tank), you can take a bit of time but Heavensward doesn't take too long to get to. Unfortunately, you have to get to Heavensward in order to play the new classes.

Any advice on how to get a party to actually tackle the Extreme fights and Coil? I've been attempting this for about two weeks, but nobody either joins, or if I do Duty Finder, I get stuck with rookies that have no idea how to actually do it.

Sorian

Banned
Any advice on how to get a party to actually tackle the Extreme fights and Coil? I've been attempting this for about two weeks, but nobody either joins, or if I do Duty Finder, I get stuck with rookies that have no idea how to actually do it.

Sell the extreme fights as pony farming runs. You'll have to stick around re-clearing the same fight for awhile but that's your best bet to attract attention on those. Coil is trash, you'll just have to find interested friends in your FC or something who want to go along with you. There is really no other reason to go back to coil except for fun or maybe glamor gear.

Garlador

Sell the extreme fights as pony farming runs. You'll have to stick around re-clearing the same fight for awhile but that's your best bet to attract attention on those. Coil is trash, you'll just have to find interested friends in your FC or something who want to go along with you. There is really no other reason to go back to coil except for fun or maybe glamor gear.

Yeah, but I'm told the story is pretty awesome, and I'd like to experience that at least... It's just a big barrier between the narrative and the challenge of the Coils (and the even bigger challenge of finding people to do them with).

aceface

Are you on Ultros GAF? If you are on Friday or Saturday nights there's usually people around willing to do this stuff.

Raijinken

Ultros with 5 groups with A3S down now. Are we cool server yet.

Update the travel brochure!

It only took the server about two extra weeks compared to the other servers, so I guess not? Looking at the groups that have cleared it already, it is pretty nice to see some new names clearing such difficult content on our server.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I think we have to just accept the fact that Ultros will probably never be cool.

Time for GAF to transfer.

Athreous

Hey guys! and gals! =D

I'm lvling a Bard, lvl 54 (almost 55) and compared to my BLM, the dps looks so low =/

The max crit I got till now was like 600 dmg...

Is it normal? also... How exactly do you use the songs? I just got the 30% dps increase song, but it's a bit weird not being able to use other skills, well, i'm noobie =p

Teknoman

Yeah, but I'm told the story is pretty awesome, and I'd like to experience that at least... It's just a big barrier between the narrative and the challenge of the Coils (and the even bigger challenge of finding people to do them with).

Well if you know the fights, you could pair shouting for it in a populated area with the party finder. If not that, you should find a good free company to be a part of. And of course like Ace said, if you're on GAF, go ahead and hit up the FC for help.

EDIT: Aw... well i'd still try to pair shouting or even make a learning party, turn some people into EX "pros" , go ahead and wreck them. If you aren't in a good FC though, you really need to be. Only so much you can accomplish solo.

We need more stuff like Titan Extreme.

Think I mentioned it before but no other fight is as satisfying to beat than Titan Extreme imo.

A character does a few actions specifically similar to a character from Hunter x Hunter. It's not the exact same but it's close enough I don't think it's a coincidence.

Don't have comparison pictures, but basically Wegmarr takes a whiff of something in a pipe , exhales a big cloud of smoke and powers himself up and then strikes a pose and a character in late Hunter x Hunter has a giant pipe and does something similar. Doesn't power himself up but his power is based around his pipe and the smoke he exhales from it.

You probably are right. I am pretty sure there are other anime references to be found.

Ken

For those of you in A3S, can mucilage be silenced? We have enough stuns to get the adds so we never bothered to check it but it would be nice to know we have a back up.

Yes.

That seems to be a common sentiment I've seen on other boards but more because there's nothing else to do outside of raid so raid logging for A3S is probably miserable if you aren't into the fight.

I love that A3S is causing such tears and it's not even the last fight ha ha! Sorry, I shouldn't laugh...

You should laugh. It's nice to finally have a fight exposing weak links in groups.

iammeiam

For those of you in A3S, can mucilage be silenced? We have enough stuns to get the adds so we never bothered to check it but it would be nice to know we have a back up.

Yes; I try to stun but if the leftover piston is too far away, I will use silence on it.

It can also be nice for the lone piston that spawns midway through adds, since your ranged can silence regardless of what the ferrofluid stack/spread has your melee trying.

Top Bottom