• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ken

I think we have to just accept the fact that Ultros will probably never be cool.

Time for GAF to transfer.

It only took the server about two extra weeks compared to the other servers, so I guess not? Looking at the groups that have cleared it already, it is pretty nice to see some new names clearing such difficult content on our server.

That's not how you boost Ultros tourism economy!

Time to go to Balmung to find a nice waifu.

Valor

Have also seen enrage start at 12:45 and 12:52 so that's cool...
Add phase is variable and not set in stone so it's a place you could, in theory, make up a little bit of ground. The rest of the fight appears to be hard timed. The thing is that enrage always appears to happen at exactly the same time in his rotation, so that's what you should be checking out, not the overall time.

The low single digit enrages with comparatively tiny mistakes are where it gets aggravating, since each percent of health is still over 35k health I think?
I totally can see this being the case. I'll likely be experiencing that pain over the next week or two if all things go correctly.

I kind of think the biggest problem is that raiding is the only thing they really did in a new way. They turned gathering/crafting into a currency capping grind, combat stuff is mostly unchanged aside from Normal slotting in as a CT substitute... And there's no longer an imminent expansion full of potential, and no reason to expect the 3.x patch cycle will deviate from what we've seen in 2.
Even the leveling just doesn't feel as... okay this is a poor choice of words but bear with me... exciting as it was in 2.0. I mean there were so many skills to get and I got to learn how to
barely
play all of the classes. Now it's just a victory lap to be able to use them in endgame content and I just don't feel like grinding out dungeons every day. Maybe I will in 3.1 but right now I just don't have the will to do so even though I do want to get a tank geared up for help nights.

If you raided at 4am, you probably would be :p
I'm already quitting in my mind thinking about this.

You should laugh. It's nice to finally have a fight exposing weak links in groups.
shots_fired.jpg

Galen. Please find a way to take delivery of your brothers PC on monday and hide it for 30 minutes.

Record what happens next

I will pay you for your services

Jaeyden

Hey guys! and gals! =D

I'm lvling a Bard, lvl 54 (almost 55) and compared to my BLM, the dps looks so low =/

The max crit I got till now was like 600 dmg...

Is it normal? also... How exactly do you use the songs? I just got the 30% dps increase song, but it's a bit weird not being able to use other skills, well, i'm noobie =p

Im not a pro Bard, but it's all I've played so i'll give you what I can.

Every single one of your stat points should be in dexterity

You need to level a pugilist to 12 for Internal Release
You need to level a Lancer to 34 for Blood for Blood
(*Edited)

As for songs look at job actions here - http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Bard
Sing depending on what your party needs. There is even a song to make you run faster when you wipe :) PS, you don't always need to have songs going.

Bard DPS is all about stacking your buffs properly in your rotation and managing your DOT's while weaving high impact attacks in between when they either proc or come off cooldown. Are you dealing with a bunch of mobs? Get your DOT's going on all of them. Windbite and Venomous Bite need to go on preferably buffed by Internal Release and Straight Shot. Flaming Arrow needs to come down early on packs of mobs. Your Bloodletter and Rain of Death can instantly refresh when you crit with a DOT so the more often these attacks are up the more you can smash face.

Wanderers Minuet is your own personal song that you dance in and out of depending on the situation at hand. While in WM you cast your bard attacks for 30% more damage. Learn how to do this. You know how to cast shit, so this should be easy.

At 54 you should at least be critting for 1k+ on Misery's End, BloodLetter & Empyreal Arrow. Hopefully a better Bard than me will give you some better advice.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
There are lower levels of these actions but try to get here if you don't have them-
You need to level a pugilist to 36 for enhanced Internal Release
You need to level a Lancer to 44 for enhanced Blood for Blood

The enchaced versions are given by traits, and do not have an effect when you cross class the base skill.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Add phase is variable and not set in stone so it's a place you could, in theory, make up a little bit of ground. The rest of the fight appears to be hard timed. The thing is that enrage always appears to happen at exactly the same time in his rotation, so that's what you should be checking out, not the overall time.

We were wondering about this since we killed the adds really fast on our best attempt and had to wait around longer than usual for Living Liquid to come back. Mank lost stacks RIP.

dramatis

Hey guys! and gals! =D

I'm lvling a Bard, lvl 54 (almost 55) and compared to my BLM, the dps looks so low =/

The max crit I got till now was like 600 dmg...

Is it normal? also... How exactly do you use the songs? I just got the 30% dps increase song, but it's a bit weird not being able to use other skills, well, i'm noobie =p
Aside from what Jaeyden said, which is to pop buffs all the time and DOT EVERYTHING so you can mash Bloodletter, some of your Archer 'derp' skills (aka the super situational ones, like Blunt Arrow, Shadowbind, Repelling Shot) can be just popped for extra damage if you know the enemy doesn't require a silence or you're in position, etc.

Bear in mind any song that's not Foe's Requiem reduces your damage.

Valor

Hey guys! and gals! =D

Welcome to Bard.

Wanderers Minuet is your own personal song that you dance in and out of depending on the situation at hand. While in WM you cast your bard attacks for 30% more damage. Learn how to do this. You know how to cast shit, so this should be easy.
Do not stance dance Wanderer's Minuet.

Shadowbind
Maybe you should stick to melee/smn after all...

Basically the long and short of it is that you have a ton of cooldowns available to you, so you just need to use them correctly. Since you're getting up there in levels, most of this advice should be super helpful. Maybe moderately helpful. I'm not sure.

Songs are pretty straightforward. Foe Requiem is used when there is a BLM/SMN in the party comp since they benefit the most from it. It doesn't lower your damage, so feel free to sing it. Once the cast of a song finishes, it will stay active and slowly drain your MP. When your MP runs out, your song ends. You can turn off the song at any time by "re-casting" it.

Army's Paeon is for whenever you or your melee/tank friends are low on TP. Mage's Ballad is for when your healers or casters are low on MP. Battle Voice is a buff that makes whatever song you're singing have extra effectiveness for like 20-30 seconds. I forget how long. It's substantial. These two songs will lower your damage output by 15% whenever they are being played. Do not pop cooldowns during these songs.

Warden's Paean is only used for Warriors using Berserk. In other words, let the healer handle it and don't use it. Wanderer's Minuet should be up at all times because dat damage. Do not stance dance it. Not worth it, IMO.

Straight Shot is a vital skill to keep active since it raises your crit rate. Internal Release is a must to have cross classed from PGL because it increases your crit rate. Crits are good. Keep your dots up constantly on a single target enemy. This becomes easier when you have access to Iron Jaws (56 I think?) because it will refresh both dots at once if they are active.

If you're doing aoe rotation, if there are up to three targets get Straight Shot up, lay down Flaming Arrow, hit Rain of Death, and then cast your dots on each enemy while hitting Rain of Death whenever it procs. Once you dot them all up, dot them again or use Quick Nock or Wide Volley. If there are more than three targets I just drop Windbite on everything and try to keep it active while hitting Rain of Death procs (there will be so many).

If you're critting under 1k you either
a) don't have a lot of crit on your gear (which is fine)
b) are singing Ballad/Paeon
c) are not in Wanderer's Minuet
d) not keeping Straight Shot active
e) Looking at a low potency attack crit (Venomous Bite/Heavy Shot/Repelling Shot/etc)
f) some combination of these. Straight Shot won't affect damage, but will impact how often you will crit.

Most of all, don't worry. Soon you will experience the glory of the crit Sidewinder and revel in all of the damage. Then you'll go back to booping the enemy with arrows and wishing you stayed BLM so your dps numbers would be higher.

iammeiam

The long post above me is missing: Get Amon's Hat or nobody will ever respect you as a Bard. It does nothing for damage but you'll look so fabulous you won't care.

BadRNG

Even the leveling just doesn't feel as... okay this is a poor choice of words but bear with me... exciting as it was in 2.0. I mean there were so many skills to get and I got to learn how to
barely
play all of the classes. Now it's just a victory lap to be able to use them in endgame content and I just don't feel like grinding out dungeons every day. Maybe I will in 3.1 but right now I just don't have the will to do so even though I do want to get a tank geared up for help nights.
The fact that it takes so much longer each level doesn't help either. I leveled majority of the classes just doing one LLDR/guildhest/maybe a couple leve quests a day. Until the 40s that was enough for a level (or more!). Now it takes so many runs, fate exp is also behind proportionally from what it was, and they managed to fuck up leves so it's so tedious to try and grind them out. I'd actually love to try out the new stuff for a couple classes, but grinding The Dusk Al Aery Vault of tedium sounds like hell. I just give up after first dungeon that barely impacts exp and go play another game so I can have some actual fun.

It'd be really great if they gave us some new leveling opportunities that didn't revolve around grinding the same content we've already done a thousand times over. Lock it behind having a 60 character already if need be, but just give something.

Valor

Not gonna read that wall of text
WhereS THE tl;dr?
tl;dr shush gravy

The long post above me is missing: Get Amon's Hat or nobody will ever respect you as a Bard. It does nothing for damage but you'll look so fabulous you won't care.
No

Well Galen I use Wardens twice in A3. What do?
Get a better warrior
but grinding The Dusk Al Aery Vault of tedium sounds like hell. I just give up after first dungeon that barely impacts exp and go play another game so I can have some actual fun.
Pretty much everything you said but exactly this. This is where I end up. I'm like oh, maybe I should level my DRK. Then I think about running dungeons three to five times to level and I decide to just not. Because if I do then I'm stuck with an awfully horrible grindy level that gets even less exp than the one before it. It's disheartening, and yeah, all of the supplemental exp gets are so much crappier than they used to be.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tl;dr shush gravy

No

Get a better warrior
Pretty much everything you said but exactly this. This is where I end up. I'm like oh, maybe I should level my DRK. Then I think about running dungeons three to five times to level and I decide to just not. Because if I do then I'm stuck with an awfully horrible grindy level that gets even less exp than the one before it. It's disheartening, and yeah, all of the supplemental exp gets are so much crappier than they used to be.

Eh it's whatever. Use it before the pull and then again right after adds np np.

Congratulations!

If only you had the correct rotation like those other GAF members and you could have cleared before them... oh wait :)

Eh...don't. Not our business, like when you have 2 nodes in Seize and the group wants to camp the other GC at their spawn to milk even more points...just back off. Don't pull aggro.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Eh...don't. Not our business, like when you have 2 nodes in Seize and the group wants to camp the other GC at their spawn to milk even more points...just back off. Don't pull aggro.

I have played enough seize that this makes perfect sense. Maybe I do need a new hobby.

Wagram

Even though I have a lot of issues about how FFXIV is being handled right now. If Soken doesn't receive several awards for the Heavensward soundtrack then many mistakes have been made by critics.

tearsofash

It seems that you are not, the free company shows up on the profile right underneath grand company, and nothing is there for you. I know sometimes they get rid of people who were inactive, but you are welcome to reapply, ^_^

squadr0n

It seems that you are not, the free company shows up on the profile right underneath grand company, and nothing is there for you. I know sometimes they get rid of people who were inactive, but you are welcome to reapply, ^_^

Thanks for checking. Going to try reapplying now :( So close to hitting level 50 finally and actually have some time to play again.

Actually im having an issue on the Guildwork site. Im already a member there but when I try to fill out another Application I get this error: You do not have permission to view this page.

Do I just need to ask in game for someone to send me an invite or do I need to go through the GuildWorks site? My user name is Squadron if that helps.

Top Bottom