• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Soma

i haven't gotten to this fight yet but my lord i am in love with Bismarck's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9F0tU7-wbA

S3zw422.png

ViciousDS

Banned
had to basically speedrun CM tonight with the group I had. We got done with it in under 20 minutes. No Cutscene time, guess I'll watch them later. I was so out of rotation and shit because of the spike damage and over geared players.

Looked ahead at the quest rewards and sure enough they hand you i55, i90, and even i110 for first time complete of the storyline.....so plenty of gear to have going into heavensward when done. Even includes weapon and all accessories. They really made completing the story and transitioning into the expansion real simple even for first 50's like me. Glad to see SE knew what they were doing, because if I had to grind shit just to get into Ishgard it would have been very off putting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ok hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

I got my PS4 CE today. Put in the redemption code like the sheet said first. But I had other codes to redeem so I pressed 'redeem another code' instead of going all the way to the end screen.

Then I updated my FFXIV launcher and the game itself downloaded the latest patches. Put in the Heavensward disc and it installed the additional add-ons. Opened the game again and the launcher still is the same and when I check my mog station account I don't see any indicator for me having the heavensward CE listed for my ps4.

I checked my SEN transactions and its listed there but nothing was available to download or anything. (I may check on the web store and see if there's something on my download list that isn't present on my ps4 yet). And I can't log into the game currently either (keeps saying error getting into lobby).

So did I mess up or is the game not live yet and I'm panicking for no reason? I'm hoping that everything hasn't gone live yet and that tomorrow with the PS Store and the game updates tomorrow everything will be cool...

Edit: Checked my service list and under FFXIV ARR there's a selection for ARR Digital CE and another for Heavensard CE Playing Entitlement.
Lobby error has been popping since Friday, servers are too congested. Try again later.

As for why the logo hasn't changed, the expansion doesn't officially launch till another few hours. Maybe you need to redeem the early access code to access it right now.

When is Heavensward going live with non-Early Access?

They're doing maintenance tonight that ends at the usual weekly reset time so I'm guessing that's when it officially goes live.

t1435050000z4.png

Slow? It's been 3 days since EA started. The expansion hasn't even officially released and you call it slow?

Y'all crazy

That's also what I don't get, I'm taking it all in slowly like I did ARR so I don't run out of things to do, hell I was done with the 2.55 story three days before the Early Access started :p

I am downloading the trial now; (never played FFXIV before) - What is the best thing I can do to get immersed in the story?
People have told me not to do all the side quests. Should I do all the main scenario quests? Is there anything I should read before I start? I can see on the website there is something about world creation and crystals. Is there some introductionary CGI cut scenes that should be seen before starting the game?
First, sit at the title screen for a minute or two, until the intro starts. It's the full intro, much better than the cut down version with narration when you create a character. It shows the end of FFXIV 1.0, when the war with the Garleans was ended by the arrival of Meteor, causing the Calamity. If your title screen is the Heavensward one, instead go into the Videos option on the title to see it; the Heavensward intro spoils events from the end if FFXIV 2.xx.

It takes a while for the story to kick into gear - until around level 15 it's just boring tutorial work. But keep at it. Also make sure you do your class quest every five levels, that gets you free weapons and armor, as well as having its own side story. Side quests are fine, easy XP and occasionally free armor. People suggest leaving them for easy XP leveling your second class, but if you are just starting a trial, you should see what they are like and use that XP to see as much stuff as possible.

Could anyone point what the cheapest option might be to buy this expansion? My options are PS3 and PC right now.

Green man gaming has the pc version for $29.99 in the VIP deals if you're interested in that.

Also I'm super bummed there's maintenance tonight since I was gonna finally play with a friend tonight...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Maintenance on the night of a launch of an expansion? wtf lol, should've did that shit before hand.

No, the maintenance is on time. In Japan is already 23th.

The game launch on 23th in your zone. 6pm in Japan.

Kenai

I am downloading the trial now; (never played FFXIV before) - What is the best thing I can do to get immersed in the story?
People have told me not to do all the side quests. Should I do all the main scenario quests? Is there anything I should read before I start? I can see on the website there is something about world creation and crystals. Is there some introductionary CGI cut scenes that should be seen before starting the game?

The Main Scenario unlocks the vast majority of the content you need to progress through the game. By doing that alone, you will get enough exp to get to 50 on your job of choice (provided you don't switch around too much) and unlock most of the game's features. There are a few major sidequests you will probably want to unlock (chocobo companion, gold saucer, other jobs, ect), but beyond that you will learn just about everything from that. There are some other general other things if you are new to MMOs, but that is what we are here to answer if you have questions!

So how many of you made it to 60?

I made it to 56 and a half. Those goddamned moogle quests just sapped out the rest of my momentum to push for 57 before I had to go to bed, and I'm at work now so I can't play.

I didn't think I would play this much, but this damn storyline. I'm all caught up in it. >_>

I was so hopeful when I went from 30 to 46 AST before I went to sleep Friday night but I have had work and school the last 3 days following so I am only halfway to 54 now (just did Ravana, and got to the dungeon after). I am saving most of the non-Aether current sidequests for SCH and maybe MNK. I'd love to hit 60 before I leave for the weekend but I feel like it's not gonna happen.

Maintenance on the night of a launch of an expansion? wtf lol, should've did that shit before hand.

There's maintenance on the night of an official launch of just about any MMO I can think of. Certainly EQ, FF11, Ultima, and WoW at least (aka most of the ones I played regularly).

i haven't gotten to this fight yet but my lord i am in love with Bismarck's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9F0tU7-wbA

S3zw422.png

That is some magical music right there. FFXIV may have my favorite OST of all time by the time everything is said and done. Not only does it consistently deliver, but there's tons of variety too.

That's par for the course in MMOs, I think? The moment right after maintenance is generally when the servers are the most stable and, well, you'd want your game to be stable for launch.

It'd also boot all those darnable idler out to make space for people who actually want to play at that moment.

Kenai

Also this might be random as heck but I LOVE the Vanu Vanu when they are doing their little dance jig walk, even if they are actively trying to kill me. It's the best.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
am tempted to get back into the game, but will be on shit connection for some time so that is a bit out of the question... D:

Wagram

This game cements exactly why I hate Moogles. They need to be fucking deleted from the entire series because they are annoying.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Almost hit 58. Being able to fly in the Sea of Clouds is so great. I love how the zone looks, but islands being connected only by a single small path and the map being terrible at conveying the height are the two serious problems this area has.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Able to fly in 4 zones, I'm now 58 2/3.

Love it..still think my barde needs some fixing from SE, but not that much..

really good add-on, can't wait to get my CE today.

_woLf

I seriously can't stand the voice acting in this game anymore. It's so fucking bad now.

These heavy accents are just the worst... it makes me feel like my character would have an accent like that if she spoke, which I do not like :(

Yugiri's voice actor is like a British actor trying to do their most offensive stereotypical Asian accent they could come up with. UGHHHHH

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I seriously can't stand the voice acting in this game anymore. It's so fucking bad now.

These heavy accents are just the worst... it makes me feel like my character would have an accent like that if she spoke, which I do not like :(

Yugiri's voice actor is like a British actor trying to do their most offensive stereotypical Asian accent they could come up with. UGHHHHH
You can always switch to the Japanese VO, it's in the settings.

Wilsongt

Just hit level 54 and cleared out the first primal fight. Wanted to unlock flying in the forelands before maintenance, but not enough time and I was still missing two aether currents from quests.

I feel like I am way far behind everyone else in my FC, but I am just taking my time and enjoying myself. No use killing myself and rushing myself to 60.

Edit: I am liking all of these little nods to FFXII scattered throughout the game from the Gnath to the names of the Ascians.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So how many of you made it to 60?

I made it to 56 and a half. Those goddamned moogle quests just sapped out the rest of my momentum to push for 57 before I had to go to bed, and I'm at work now so I can't play.

I didn't think I would play this much, but this damn storyline. I'm all caught up in it. >_>

In my FC we have a lvl 60 dark knight. Crazy person...I'm planning for 60 tomorrow night.

Capella

Just hit level 54 and cleared out the first primal fight. Wanted to unlock flying in the forelands before maintenance, but not enough time and I was still missing two aether currents from quests.

I feel like I am way far behind everyone else in my FC, but I am just taking my time and enjoying myself. No use killing myself and rushing myself to 60.

I'm taking my time too. I'm doing Heavensward content + leveling other classes for cross class skills that I didn't get to before early access hit.

Semper88

=( saddens me the S and A ranks are still easy to take down.

Oh hell yea it does, nothing apart from raids or ex primals is though or hard to take down.

There is no sense of danger in the open world, everything hits like a wett noodle and even the all mighty hunt mobs are a joke.

Thats what bothers me the most and ofc all the silly fetch quests XD

Soken has outdone himself with Ravana's theme. Absolutely incredible.

Edit: ...and the Rammstein-esque singing was unexpected. Ahem. I shouldn't have posted before I heard the whole thing.

Wilsongt

For future patches to 3.0, I was kind of thinking that we really don't have many beast tribes left to summon primals. Maybe four or five more.

Stuart444

I'm almost sad that the first boss of Sohm Al doesn't use Blighted. Just cause lol.

I doubt I'll be getting much FFXIV time today though, had a horrible nights sleep (about 1 hour total) and I don't play well when I'm tired. :( If my CE gets here today (which it should), I'll probably log in just to see my Griffon though lol.

Love my black chocobo but Griffon! Nothing (but Twin...) beats the Griffon.

Edit: I am liking all of these little nods to FFXII scattered throughout the game from the Gnath to the names of the Ascians.

I just cleared all of Dravania Forelands today. It's nice to just relax and take your time honestly. We still have 2 weeks til Alexander is out anyway lol.

_woLf

You can always switch to the Japanese VO, it's in the settings.

Probably will. Having to listen to this garbage is absolutely killing this entire expansion for me to be completely honest. I aside from Minfilia, I didn't really mind the old voice actors. Really, really annoyed that they're gone and we'll likely be stuck with these horrible voice actors/accents for the rest of XIV.

DarkKyo

Probably will. Having to listen to this garbage is absolutely killing this entire expansion for me to be completely honest. I aside from Minfilia, I didn't really mind the old voice actors. Really, really annoyed that they're gone and we'll likely be stuck with these horrible voice actors/accents for the rest of XIV.

I think you're seriously over exaggerating. Most of the new voice work is decent at the very worst and pretty great at its best.

grimmiq

Might want to check the servers before the end of the estimated maintenance time, they often go back up 1-2 hours early.

Halfway through 58 and quests are getting pretty low, going to have to level pretty much every other job on FATEs/Leves and Dungeons alone.

Wilsongt

Calm down, Beyonce. The voices in the game are nowhere near the level of hate your talking about.

Qvoth

the beginning part of ravana's theme is meh, when the singing starts it gets better
will unlock bismarck probably later today

BadRNG

For future patches to 3.0, I was kind of thinking that we really don't have many beast tribes left to summon primals. Maybe four or five more.
They could just make up new ones again? They did a pretty good job on the Gnath/Vanu Vanu.

Then of course there are other sources of primals. 5/10 of the 2.0 primals didn't come from beast men tribes.
Mog, Shiva, Odin, Phoenix, and Bahamut

MogCakes

Ravana is the most badass humanoid primal yet. Beats out Odin easily. And I'm absolutely loving the new areas and OST. Everything about this expansion so far is leagues better than vanilla ARR.

Spoilers incoming.
So Hraesvelgr has one eye.
Is this explained later? Y/N?

EDIT: The Gnath are from FFXII.

Valor

Petition to change the title of the thread to "Where are these fucking moogles" because I swear everyone has said that after entering that zone at least once.

Spoilers incoming.
I guess you'll just have to see~

grimmiq

Ravana is the most badass humanoid primal yet. Beats out Odin easily. And I'm absolutely loving the new areas and OST. Everything about this expansion so far is leagues better than vanilla ARR.

Spoilers incoming.

EDIT: The Gnath are from FFXII.

Yes

WolvenOne

Petition to change the title of the thread to "Where are these fucking moogles" because I swear everyone has said that after entering that zone at least once.

.....Why? They were pretty easy to find.

Aaaaaanyhow. Cleared Vault, so I'm making okay progress. Half shocked by all the people at sixty already to be honest, I knew there'd be a few, but this many with less than a week.

Liking the new english voices, enough so that I switched from using the Japanese voices around level 55, and rewatched some of the earlier scenes in english. A lot of the english ARR voices just sounded so blasted goofy to me. Most the Japanese voices however were fairly standard/non-descript, the new english voices have a bit more character in their delivery.

Also, now I don't have to listen to Tataru's two year old girl voice. I swear if I hear one more sentence that ends with Desu I'm gonna punt a Lala!

Kanashimi

I'm in the same boat. I started it up today and played four or five hours without feeling like I was checked in. I've been debating if I should let my sub finally go after a year and a half. The issue is I just don't care about any of the characters now. The ones that I thought of as friends are new people with new mannerisms (drives me bonkers that
Urianger's dialogue is still written in Old English, but he doesn't speak it anymore...
).

I still have like 60 days or something, so I'll hop on through the story to see if it gets any more interesting, but yeah, you're not alone in thinking it's bad.

Top Bottom