• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

chrono01

Not until afro is out.
ZuSuZoD.png

Croyles

Our drg is bored of the game so our static needs a new melee, preferably DRG but NIN would also do.
We are all european so raid schedules are: Tue, Thu, Sun 7:30pm BST (2:30pm EST/EDT)
We don't really deviate much from the schedules.

Currently on 3rd/add phase of A3S. Mostly been going at A3S in a fairly relaxed manner.
Most important thing is that you can get on well with the group, and real life always comes first.
We use Teamspeak.

Probably narrows it down way too much for any potential interested persons here but oh well, worth a shot anyway.

EDIT: No boring people! You know who you are.

Sifl

I recant my statement about Purification being terrible. I burn through tp so quickly even with Inviogorate. How the hell do you manage tp as Monk?

Sifl

Lol, I can't even last 3min on a dummy with Monk. I can't even parse because I'm on Ps4, just wanted to see how long I last. Always get to around 2:50 and run out of tp right before Inviogorate comes back.

Edit: If I don't use Fracture I can last 3+.

WolvenOne

The new hotness: Soloing rank 50 A-Rank Hunts.

I mean, since hunts are otherwise dead, but seals are still good for things like free Venture Tokens and all that...

Severance

Since Heavensward has been out for awhile, how are people feeling about it now? I started FFXIV when A Realm Reborn launched and played through the release of the Second Coil. After my FC beat it, I quit to focus on other things in life. Now I'm jumping back into the fray, though I'm also considering WoW.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since Heavensward has been out for awhile, how are people feeling about it now? I started FFXIV when A Realm Reborn launched and played through the release of the Second Coil. After my FC beat it, I quit to focus on other things in life. Now I'm jumping back into the fray, though I'm also considering WoW.

The main scenario is top notch. I would argue, however, that the rest of the expansion feels more like a giant patch in that they didn't really add much new in the way of actual gameplay experiences.

Ken

Lol, I can't even last 3min on a dummy with Monk. I can't even parse because I'm on Ps4, just wanted to see how long I last. Always get to around 2:50 and run out of tp right before Inviogorate comes back.

Edit: If I don't use Fracture I can last 3+.

Don't use Fracture.

WolvenOne

3.0 is overall a good patch, it just needed a little something extra to keep it vibrant until November.

I think people are way too quick to dismiss Sky Island Exploration. That's going to be a HUGE time sink for a lot of players. Actually I kinda suspect that this was going to be their major new gameplay draw for Heavensward, but they under-estimated how much time it'd take them to put it together.

Tabris

3.0 was garbage. It would be a pretty good offline RPG, but it was a horrible MMO expansion.

So bad that it may be spelling the end of the game for a lot of players.

Ken

5.0 will save the game.

3.0 is overall a good patch, it just needed a little something extra to keep it vibrant until November.

I think people are way too quick to dismiss Sky Island Exploration. That's going to be a HUGE time sink for a lot of players. Actually I kinda suspect that this was going to be their major new gameplay draw for Heavensward, but they under-estimated how much time it'd take them to put it together.

3.0 was an expansion though. And they made the wrong move betting on Savage to keep people interested until November.

And I think people are allowed to be dismissive of any new activities they put out after how successful stuff like beastman dailies and open world hunts were.

Sorian

Banned
You laugh but there's been a decent amount of players that have quit or considered quitting over this repeat content cycle.

And plenty more to replace them and a large % of those leaving in a huff will be pulled back in by the next hype trailer or game system.

iammeiam

3.0 was a good patch, but a subpar expansion (it was just more of the same, nothing really new-new) and nowhere near strong enough to make up for the content drought on both sides.

I expect Island Exploration to pan out like Gold Saucer, tbh. Nothing about the 3.0/3.1 plans has me convinced the features they add are going to substantially differ from "big" things they patched in at the end of 2.x.

WolvenOne

Gold Saucer was mostly a collection of mini-games, which offered no real rewards outside of glamour items. It still did it's job by offering players a little something to do while waiting for the expansion.

Sky Island Exploration is built upon battle, and it offers HUGE potential rewards. The only things I could think of that wouldn't make them worth while is as follows.

• NM's and HNM's may be too easy to zerg down, hopefully there's some mechanism to prevent this.
  • RNG might make getting the good rewards a bit too difficult, particularly if 24 people can roll on the same item.
If they avoid these pitfalls, it'll be good repeatable content.

As for 3.0 as an expansion. I will admit that it needed, "something," new and interesting to keep people engaged. That wouldn't have mattered much if they could've followed up with a decent patch three or so months later, but yeah with the drought before and after the expansion it really needed SOMETHING.

Still, enjoying it, and some people drifting off after new expansion hype has died down is to be expected. Some will come back during future patches, and those that won't will be replaced by new players. That's fairly normal as far as I can tell.

PS: Probably their biggest mistake was making Alexander Savage so far out of the reach of the average player. I know, the real hard core players may enjoy having a huge challenge to work through, but if they were only going to offer two tiers of difficulty than they needed to aim these tiers towards casual and mid-tier players. I guarantee you there'd be fewer bored players if more groups felt like they had a chance of getting through Alexander before 3.2 hits.

And no, the first two floors aren't substantial enough to fill the mid-teir niche.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

The bolded is the problem. It was a glorified patch and hardly an expansion, or at least that's how it felt to me.

As for the island exploration, adding a time sink isn't enough. It had to be worth it or at least be fun. We don't know whether it will be either of these things yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The bolded is the problem. It was a glorified patch and hardly an expansion, or at least that's how it felt to me.

As for the island exploration, adding a time sink isn't enough. It had to be worth it or at least be fun. We don't know whether it will be either of these things yet.
I think it'll be another zerg.

WolvenOne

With the right amount of people, hunts actually ARE fun. The problem has always been that they were too easy to zerg down This is one of the pitfalls I've listed that sky island exploration needs to avoid.

I think it'll be another zerg.

I'm not sure it can be actually. It sounds like they may be time gating it, which already makes it difficult to really zerg down. I mean, even if this is entirely open world with zero instancing, if you cannot enter the zones freely then a LOT of players simply won't be able to enter when the big NM's/HNM's spawn. Besides that, even the random trash is supposed to be lvl60 A-Rank hunt tier. So a trash mob aggroing while you're fighting an HM is probably going to be a huge problem that'll need to be addressed rather than mindlessly zerged.

PS: You're also assuming that killing NM's/HNM's are going to be the only things worth doing. It sounds like there are going to be numerous ways to get chests or nodes to spawn.

Ken

With the right amount of people, hunts actually ARE fun.

No they're not. All that happens is you see a few extra trivial boss skills and an opportunity to be top DPS in the zone cause everyone else is alt-tabbed auto attacking waiting for free seals.

You kill the thing, check its name off the current rotation, and pat yourself on the back for full credit so you can get gear to do Alexander Normal.

iammeiam

It seems incredibly unlikely, based on content design in 2.x and 3.0, that Island Exploration will be designed in a way to present actual challenging and engaging battles with a solid group. It needs to be accessible/clearable to everyone, especially if it becomes the primary method for catch-up i210. They consistently favor grind over challenge, because it's generally meant to be a time-sink (see: RNG looks and stats), and if the primary motivator is just to get i210 out of it it'll go the way hunts and Alex Normal did: super popular until everyone's geared, then basically dead.

The most optimistic I'll get is that these will end up like treasure maps, and sort of fun to undersize. It doesn't make it bad content, just more of their standard patch big draw filler. Limited lifespan.

WolvenOne

No they're not. All that happens is you see a few extra trivial boss skills and an opportunity to be top DPS in the zone cause everyone else is alt-tabbed auto attacking waiting for free seals.

1: Searching out Marks itself can be fun, especially if you're coordinating with an active group.

2: Of course the mechanics are going to be somewhat simple in comparison to raid bosses and such. Regardless they often result in outright hilarity.

3: If a hunt mark can be taken down with auto-attacks, you do NOT have the right number of people.

Sorian

Banned

You kill the thing, check its name off the current rotation, and pat yourself on the back for full credit so you can get gear to do Alexander Normal.

?

Have you ever actually done an A or S rank with an appropriate number of people? The mechanics on some are better than other shit in the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The next raid won't even be until February now... :E

AwShucks

3.0 was garbage. It would be a pretty good offline RPG, but it was a horrible MMO expansion.

So bad that it may be spelling the end of the game for a lot of players.

Sounds perfect for me, exactly why I decided to pick up FF14. And I am loving the hell out of it.

aceface

I liked hunts a lot back when they were first introduced. Scouting for marks, putting parties together, riding A trains, trying to pop S ranks, I enjoyed all that stuff.

Wait... Angry is female?

No, Angary is a dude named Gary.

Ken

?

Have you ever actually done an A or S rank with an appropriate number of people? The mechanics on some are better than other shit in the game.

Yes, if the appropriate number of people is like one full party cause dead server.

Stolas sleeps some people. I think the Hinter gobbie stuns and bursts a person every so often? The A's in Churning don't do anything out of normal compared to the mobs they're based on I think. The S in Churning just nukes a spot every once in awhile IIRC the one time I fought him. Corpse Flower is just stand away from the mark? CWH has an elephant so that's cool. I don't think King of Wyverns or Prylaster have any mechanics?

I like the Hand thing in La Noscea though. Oh and the S that casts doom in the cave, but more for the chaos with the inappropriate amount of people.

WolvenOne

The problem with hunts was always, ALWAYS, that they had no way to scale hunt-bosses to match the number of players going after them. Would've been great content if they could have figured out a way to solve that issue.

Edit:

The S-Rank Hunt near bronze lake had T7 mechanics. The S in Eastern Thanalan cast Fear Itself on a massive scale. Agrippa the Mighty would regen his own health if you used the wrong attacks at the wrong times. For overworld bosses these are all decent mechanics that result in hilarity.

Top Bottom