• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Jayhawk

i don't believe you. But I only play about 4 matches a week and Adders are really really bad in those. Korra would be in a better position to say, he's done all 3 GC's and plays a lot of matches.

He only joined the Twin Adders this week or last week. I can take a screenshot of my Frontlines record, but I'm not at home, and it will show more 1st places than 2nd places or 3rd places. If you don't see me shouting orders in alliance chat, then you're not playing at the right times. Though you can end up with a group of baddies in one game and then completely dominate the next game. You need to get familiar with the names of the competent players.

Since I don't want any more PVP pieces of gear and until they increase the rank from 50, I don't think I will be PVP'ing any more either. There are a couple Twin Adders linkshells with some decent PVP'ers on Ultros.

The most rewarding challenge in Seal Rock is being able to defend a pincer attack from the other two GCs without losing the node. The points from the kills are great.

Defending against two GCs on first node wave of your entire team is formed right and you picked the more defendable node is not too hard. No battle highs or LBs yet, so it's usually a stale mate at worst. The hard part is the transition into the next wave of nodes - turtle strat for one wave may win you the battle but cost you the war. Especially if both sides keep you locked into a corner while they hold all nodes and are picking off stragglers.

For the past two months on primal, Maelstrom is the dominant GC. A bunch of good PVPers moved to Mael from Flames and when they play its no contest. They are organized, have sound strats, and do not tunnel vision - rather they're looking steps ahead at all times.

Flames when Clean Up Crew is at full force are comparable, they have better combat ability but tend to not be as sound in their strategy. They've lost some close matches due to focusing on the kill rather than best course of action.

While some of the best individual PVP players are on Adders, they can't compensate for idiotic decision making and actions of the majority of the team. Adders either lose in spectacular fashion, the competent groups don't get their act together until it's too late to recover, and the 8 wins I've seen in 3 days of aggressive PVPing were a fluke (Mael/Flames get into vendetta mode and ignore nodes and Adders) or the stars aligned to have a majority of good and competent players actually in a match together.

In Mael, it was common to win a majority of the time, and usually if not we got 2nd. 3rd rarely happened. Flames would win more consistently when it was CuC time, but overall wins came slightly slower than when in Mael. Also more 3rd place finishes.

In Adders so far, if it wasn't for my rage quits this week, 3rd place would be double the amount of 2nd place finishes. 2nd is the next most common. Wins are at...maybe a 20% rate at the moment. It's taken me around 40 Adders matches to get 8 wins.

Now, each GC has its ups and downs (Flames sucked the first two days I was in them, so could be another similar thing happening here). But word of mouth and talking to people with dialogue to the larger primal PVP community with the best players has given a lot of anecdotal evidence that Primal Adders are just bad in Seize. Different story in Slaughter and Secure, apparently, but nobody plays those modes anymore.

Jayhawk

Defending against two GCs on first node wave of your entire team is formed right and you picked the more defendable node is not too hard. No battle highs or LBs yet, so it's usually a stale mate at worst. The hard part is the transition into the next wave of nodes - turtle strat for one wave may win you the battle but cost you the war. Especially if both sides keep you locked into a corner while they hold all nodes and are picking off stragglers.

Defending first wave isn't the rewarding situation I was talking about. Defending a pincer on the last parts of a match where there are only 3 active nodes is the most rewarding.

Now, each GC has its ups and downs (Flames sucked the first two days I was in them, so could be another similar thing happening here). But word of mouth and talking to people with dialogue to the larger primal PVP community with the best players has given a lot of anecdotal evidence that Primal Adders are just bad in Seize. Different story in Slaughter and Secure, apparently, but nobody plays those modes anymore.

You have to keep in mind that the game is in a lull, so the player pool available for these matches is decreasing in number. During the prime time evening hours, I end up in a 24-man Slaughter or Secure from using PVP Roulette at least once a week the past month.

I wonder how the Aether GCs are like in Seal Rock.

Xux

Does any class have an off-GCD DoT with no cooldown? Seems contrary to existing design in this game.

For that matter does any off-GCD ability use TP? I think all abilities are actually free to use.

On a different topic, all this moaning about endgame being stagnant has me motivated to continue trying out different jobs rather than rushing to endgame, but I wonder if I should finish off my highest job just so I can start capping esoterics. Probably by the time I'm ready to gear up the job I decide on Esos will be obsolete, so I'm not worried about it. Is this reasonable to assume given the past gear progression in this game?
At the absolute earliest, Esoteric gear won't be obsolete for another four months assuming they follow the same pattern as ARR. Even then, you'll probably want good gear to cap the next tomestone right away and Esoterics will be the most reliable way.

Also, I think Dark Passenger on DRK costs MP for some reason. It'd be nice if they made Dark Arts at least lower the MP cost. Also, all this Fracture talk is funny when Scourge exists though I guess WAR makes that up in other ways.

WolvenOne

So, what ilvl do you think the new Relic will cap out at, before 3.2 that is?

I'm betting the base form will be ilvl200, with it upgradable to 210. I suppose there's a small outside chance that they might let you go up to 215 halfway through 3.1, but only if they decided to upgrade the Alexander weapons to 215 as well. (They've done that before, but it seems a little unlikely this time around.)

You have to keep in mind that the game is in a lull, so the player pool available for these matches is decreasing in number.

Yea, the queue times overall are starting to creep up, so as more people have had their fill of Seize (hitting 50, getting Field Commander's Coat, finally getting ADS), the less people play beyond reset day to get Eso. Most of the remaining players are filtering to Mael or Flames it seems, with Mael getting the better deal overall. But also keep in mind I've been going hard since Seize was available. Granted I was way behind in Frontline overall than most, but the fact that I picked the wrong GC order to get things done faster is now haunting me this soon stinks. I should have gone Adder from the start, then gone Mael, and finished with Flames. Next time around for whatever the new Frontline will be, I'll go with that order.

Also, the time frame you are locked into a GC when you switch is too strict. It should be one week max, IMO.

Edit: Just to prove that when I say I go hard at PVP, I am not BSing: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/frontline/weekly/?filter=1&worldname=Ultros

Ken

Yea, the queue times overall are starting to creep up, so as more people have had their fill of Seize (hitting 50, getting Field Commander's Coat, finally getting ADS), the less people play beyond reset day to get Eso. Most of the remaining players are filtering to Mael or Flames it seems, with Mael getting the better deal overall. But also keep in mind I've been going hard since Seize was available. Granted I was way behind in Frontline overall than most, but the fact that I picked the wrong GC order to get things done faster is now haunting me this soon stinks. I should have gone Adder from the start, then gone Mael, and finished with Flames. Next time around for whatever the new Frontline will be, I'll go with that order.

Also, the time frame you are locked into a GC when you switch is too strict. It should be one week max, IMO.

Edit: Just to prove that when I say I go hard at PVP, I am not BSing: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/frontline/weekly/?filter=1&worldname=Ultros

Oh hey I see me.

Wish it showed KDR cause all I ever go for is battle fever in games.

We are well aware of your pony obsession and your hundreds of matches per week. No need for supporting evidence of how crazy you are.

It was more that I wanted to address anyone who is considering the "you might be getting matches with bad people when there are matches going on with good people" argument that gets slung at me a lot in-game. At a certain point when you have this high volume of play, that argument starts to fall apart.

Oh hey I see me.

Wish it showed KDR cause all I ever go for is battle fever in games.

You can at least tally it up yourself (screenshot results page) over a week if you want to know. The problem is I think that the mode isn't about strictly killing your opponents to win, but I agree it would be nice. But what about somebody like me who goes strictly healer? I should have a very low KDR since healers are usually targeted by everyone and have very weak offensive capabilities. The most kills (KS I should say...) in a match I ever had was 4 as WHM. Usually it's 0, maybe 1. I usually die 0-2 times a match. The most DPS I've put up on WHM is just over 25K...when even bad DPS put up near 100K on average....

Jayhawk

You can at least tally it up yourself (screenshot results page) over a week if you want to know. The problem is I think that the mode isn't about strictly killing your opponents to win, but I agree it would be nice. But what about somebody like me who goes strictly healer? I should have a very low KDR since healers are usually targeted by everyone and have very weak offensive capabilities. The most kills (KS I should say...) in a match I ever had was 4 as WHM. Usually it's 0, maybe 1. I usually die 0-2 times a match. The most DPS I've put up on WHM is just over 25K...when even bad DPS put up near 100K on average....

If you switched to a different role and went for more kills, you could have the Slaughterhouse titles!

The leaderboard on Aether for the past couple of weeks has a lot of Flames playing hundreds of matches with 55-60% win rate. Maelstrom nowhere to be found on that leaderboard.

If you switched to a different role and went for more kills, you could have the Slaughterhouse titles!

The leaderboard on Aether for the past couple of weeks has a lot of Flames playing hundreds of matches with 55-60% win rate. Maelstrom nowhere to be found on that leaderboard.

Will be switching to DRG when I return to Mael at some point to pursue that goal of The Hand of Mercy title. Maybe...

Heh, somebody was complaining about Aether Flames the other day. All my experiences and hearsay are strictly related to the Primal data center, TBH. Other than people warning me that Adders are pretty bad on Chaos and Aether in addition to Primal, with the exception of a Gilga pre-made. That's why if things get worse with Adders PVP I might consider going to Mana, Elemental, or Gaia for a bit to get the 88 more wins I need and never look back at Adders.

Flames have been trash lately. Getting these last 9 wins gonna be painful.

You're in that LS now. Get invited into the Flames parties when they're active and you should get a handful of wins every night (around 5 at least if you go for like 2-3 hours). When Kaz gets the gang together, and the usual suspects are actually on and ready to go...get in on that. Winrar time. When it gets too late and they breakup, it means it's Maelstrom time, and you should probably go to bed.

This didn't used to be the case, until they added the worst possible PVP.

For whatever reason, Secure never appealed to me. I played it for a week then never again. Slaughter was some derivative that I didn't care about either. Seize actually hooked me because the node game. While this is counter productive some of the time to winning, the art of stealing a node was what originally hooked me, and it felt like healers (especially WHM) had so many great tools to achieving this. Learning to actually play Seize better came with time. If there were more maps and more people were playing it, I think it might be the most appealing thing in the game to me at the moment.

I really should try to get back into PVP, they're ate things I want from it. I'm just not sure I have the patience to run time after time again and again to get an odd win or two.

Losing isn't bad at all when you're team is actually competent and trying. Some of the best moments I've had with XIV come from the extremely close matches where all 3 GCs are in the 700 point range and it's been neck-and-neck most of the match. It's a nice contrast to the the scripted nature of PVE raid content to have such dynamic and constantly changing and evolving situations that are unpredictable because you're fighting against other people rather than AI.

WolvenOne

I really should try to get back into PVP, they're ate things I want from it. I'm just not sure I have the patience to run time after time again and again to get an odd win or two.

Most of what I've done in PvP is running around using Shield Bash on people who get too close to the mob of people guarding/moving to a Allagan node thing.

Doesn't seem like Paladin has enough to stick to someone long enough to kill them. People usually pop sprint and run which kind of sucks for me since I need my TP to actually damage anything.

Most of what I've done in PvP is running around using Shield Bash on people who get too close to the mob of people guarding/moving to a Allagan node thing.

Doesn't seem like Paladin has enough to stick to someone long enough to kill them. People usually pop sprint and run which kind of sucks for me since I need my TP to actually damage anything.
There is a TP recovery pvp skill, you know. I get lots of kills with slaying + sword oath.

WolvenOne

Honestly, while people talk about Warrior DPS and all that, I vastly prefer to defend nodes in PVP. Even vastly outnumbered I can usually hold a point for a good long while, so long as there's a healer that hasn't bailed.

Conversely, chasing down enemies doesn't work too well for Warriors unless holmgang is up, and while our burst DPS is great the cool downs are great, it's hard to do sustained dps as melee ranged classes in PvP since most players will start running before you can really get a good rotation going.

Instead I keep feeling like I need to level a ranged a ranged class if I want to really be helpful, but taking a class all the way to 60 just for PVP seems a bit. :/

I still rather miss secure. There was a lot more emphasis on defending camps in that, at least after the first few minutes.

brinstar

Finally finished A Realm Reborn. Man, the last scenes were intense.

Raubahn cutting down
Teledji Adelji
might be the most satisfying thing I've seen in a game lol

I think you mean the face that Teledji makes

The real reason Ul'dah is such a mess is because of the potatoes in charge. A revolution which installed new leadership consisting of catgirls, humans, and the The Hulk race would dramatically improve that city.

My greatest regret is that I left the game before I was able to save Ul'dah from the scourge of the potatoes. Oh well. Let them all burn.

Apoptomon

The real reason Ul'dah is such a mess is because of the potatoes in charge. A revolution which installed new leadership consisting of catgirls, humans, and the The Hulk race would dramatically improve that city.

My greatest regret is that I left the game before I was able to save Ul'dah from the scourge of the potatoes. Oh well. Let them all burn.

So you basically want Limsa? (Roes/Hyurs). What about giraffes, or does Ishgard count against them?

Squishy3

dhalmels are a blight against the world too

2NbLGBx.png

shamelessly stolen from reddit

"Potatoes sent us to hell but we're going even deeper! Take back everything that we've lost!"

FYI we're looking for a SCH for A3S progression. You need to know through add phase. If you know anybody interested please point them my direction.

Sorian

Banned
FYI we're looking for a SCH for A3S progression. You need to know through add phase. If you know anybody interested please point them my direction.

I'm fine if they even have a general understanding of the debuff passing mechanic and have been into the A3S room before.

So you basically want Limsa? (Roes/Hyurs). What about giraffes, or does Ishgard count against them?

I think Ishgard is proof that giraffes should never be left in charge of anything. I mean they could have avoided a thousand-year long bloody war with the dragons if they weren't so greedy and horrible.

Hey guys, I've just downloaded the 14 days free trial just to get a taste of what this game is about. I'm on the PS4.

Question: is the *only* way to pay the sub fee is to use credit card? I am not really comfortable having my credit card info tied to an online game, to be honest. Is there any other way, like for example paying it using my PSN Wallet or something?

Thanks.

Ken

Hey guys, I've just downloaded the 14 days free trial just to get a taste of what this game is about. I'm on the PS4.

Question: is the *only* way to pay the sub fee is to use credit card? I am not really comfortable having my credit card info tied to an online game, to be honest. Is there any other way, like for example paying it using my PSN Wallet or something?

Thanks.

No, but you can PayPal crysta and pay with that.

Oh, I think they have game time cards in stores too.

Valor

I'm glad we're still on the anti-potato wagon here.

Also Huskybythegeek covered the song from the last trial in Heavensward. Such spoiler avoidance. You're all jelly. Just think about how often we'll get to hear this song while wiping to the EX version of it in only one month.

Still with the anti-Lalafell racism. When will we be respected for our countless contributions to Eorzea. Yet Lalafell still get no respect, hell, we are still fighting hard for chairs that fit us.

IvorB

Still with the anti-Lalafell racism. When will we be respected for our countless contributions to Eorzea. Yet Lalafell still get no respect, hell, we are still fighting hard for chairs that fit us.

"Countless contributions to Eorzea" ha ha! Yeah all that
backstabbing, treachery and miscellaneous scheming
has been really helpful. Where would Eorzea be without you?

"Countless contributions to Eorzea" ha ha! Yeah all that
backstabbing, treachery and miscellaneous scheming
has been really helpful. Where would Eorzea be without you?
Ul'dah is a shit hole
and that is the normal way of doing business there anyway.

Grisby

Does disappointing us count as an event?
Halloween: Lack of Patch despair

2spoopy5me
Oh god. No spooky plz.
There's the Halloween event, yeah. I think I heard we're getting flying brooms?
Neat.
They do a Halloween themed thing; there're
a witch's outfit and witch's broom flying mount
already in the game files.
I hope there are really crappy candy corn food items too.

Jaeyden

Quick question about crafting. I just got my Leatherworker, Carpenter and Botanist to 50. I'd like to get the 2.x endgame Master Craft recipes in Morh Dona for my Carpenter, particularly to craft Ancient Lumber for my FC's airship. Any advice on what to do for gear? Should i just keep leveling up and buy lvl 53+ stuff from the vendors or is it worth the time to craft and meld the old end game 50 gear?

dramatis

Quick question about crafting. I just got my Leatherworker, Carpenter and Botanist to 50. I'd like to get the 2.x endgame Master Craft recipes in Morh Dona for my Carpenter, particularly to craft Ancient Lumber for my FC's airship. Any advice on what to do for gear? Should i just keep leveling up and buy lvl 53+ stuff from the vendors or is it worth the time to craft and meld the old end game 50 gear?
Nah, don't bother with the old end game 50 gear. The best old 50 end game gear will cost you a lot, the second best requires hand ins, and the 50 AF crafting gear is probably sufficient to do NQ Ancient Lumber but not sure how sufficient it is to make the hand ins required to get the master craft books.

You can probably do HQ hand ins for the recipes at level 53. Technically FC airship doesn't require HQ Ancient Lumber hand ins, so as long as you can fill the progress bar you can make the lumber to hand in.

WolvenOne

FYI: Apparently they're planning to increase the amount of XP you earn in Frontlines, in the not too distant future. Please look forward to it.

Good sign actually, if means they're looking into reducing the size of various grinds introduced in 3.0.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm glad we're still on the anti-potato wagon here.

Also Huskybythegeek covered the song from the last trial in Heavensward. Such spoiler avoidance. You're all jelly. Just think about how often we'll get to hear this song while wiping to the EX version of it in only one month.

Only for it to drop i200 rings. Please understand.

Top Bottom