• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

IvorB

No, Angary is a dude named Gary.

Don't do this, man. I'm already struggling...

Were you the one who asked who Scything was on here too? Pay attention man.

I'm trying!

Some of the hunts do have interesting mechanics if you are a small group (mainly the CCH ones) but it's not enough. I would love them to model the bosses in the exploration off the guys you fight in the monster arena in FFX. They should be handing out status effects like it's candy, go immune to certain stuff periodically, multiple forms, mini-DPS checks, regeneration, the works...

Sifl

Don't use Fracture.
I just got used to applying it, but
Okay_guy.jpg

WolvenOne

Don't do this, man. I'm already struggling...

I'm trying!

Some of the hunts do have interesting mechanics if you are a small group (mainly the CCH ones) but it's not enough. I would love them to model the bosses in the exploration off the guys you fight in the monster arena in FFX. They should be handing out status effects like it's candy, go immune to certain stuff periodically, multiple forms, mini-DPS checks, regeneration, the works...

Since sky island exploration is level gated, and possibly time gated as well, they may indeed have more leeway to do that kind of stuff.

Do keep in mind that, apparently some of these HNMs are going to be level 90. There should be some challenge there.

WolvenOne

Oh, uh, BTW. I hate to be the one to post back to back and all that, but this deserves mentioning.

Apparently the Devs are planning something to give people incentive to go back and do the Crystal Tower raids in 3.1. So, that's good. I know a lot of people here aren't huge fans of those raids, but it'll be nice to see old content made relevant again. I mean seeing as there is so much more old content and all that.

Ken

Our drg is bored of the game so our static needs a new melee, preferably DRG but NIN would also do.
We are all european so raid schedules are: Tue, Thu, Sun 7:30pm BST (2:30pm EST/EDT)
We don't really deviate much from the schedules.

I'm not falling for this trap a second time!

SkyOdin

Oh, uh, BTW. I hate to be the one to post back to back and all that, but this deserves mentioning.

Apparently the Devs are planning something to give people incentive to go back and do the Crystal Tower raids in 3.1. So, that's good. I know a lot of people here aren't huge fans of those raids, but it'll be nice to see old content made relevant again. I mean seeing as there is so much more old content and all that.
Oh, that would be nice. Labyrinth of the Ancients at its original difficulty is my favorite instance in FFXIV. While Syrcus Tower was a bit of a dud, World Of Darkness was a great return to form. I wouldn't mind having an excuse to revisit those places.

Xux

Have them give experience like they're gonna do to the High Level Roulette dungeons. Also, make Gift of the Archmagus and Primal Focus give, like, a million experience points.

WolvenOne

Oh, that would be nice. Labyrinth of the Ancients at its original difficulty is my favorite instance in FFXIV. While Syrcus Tower was a bit of a dud, World Of Darkness was a great return to form. I wouldn't mind having an excuse to revisit those places.

While it would be nice, I somehow doubt that they'll force players to do minimum ilvl sync to get whatever new reward they're adding. It'll probably do the same sort of syncing you get when you queue up for an HLDR.

Would be kinda nice if there were a few incentives to do content with a minimum ilvl sync.

Have them give experience like they're gonna do to the High Level Roulette dungeons. Also, make Gift of the Archmagus and Primal Focus give, like, a million experience points.

They'll probably get XP added, since all level 50 dungeons are getting XP added in 3.1. XP for the repeatable quests would be nice too. I half suspect they're going to be adding a 24 man roulette however. Seeing as they'll need something to keep Void Ark relevant once the next-next 24 man is released, it'd be a very sensible move.

Got expansion and resubbed. Never made it past 20 in ARR. But I can't play any of the new classes until after finishing the original content, is that right?

WolvenOne

Got expansion and resubbed. Never made it past 20 in ARR. But I can't play any of the new classes until after finishing the original content, is that right?

Yeah, even the Devs seem to have admitted that this wasn't the best move on their part, but it is what it is. *shrug*

Edit: Just to expand upon this. The devs have stated that in 4.0, you will not be required to complete the MSQ from 2.0 and 3.0 to delve into 4.0 content. Instead they're thinking of other ways of getting players caught up on the story, likely through a series of video re-caps.

edgefusion

I just got used to applying it, but
Okay_guy.jpg

Fracture can be a small DPS increase for shorter fights where you won't be TP starved, like dungeon bosses. For raid encounters though you pretty much don't want to use it at all, as you've found out you run dry really fast. You should only be needing to use Purification in A2S, because of all the PB rockbreaker spam.

WolvenOne

Honestly, slightly reducing the TP cost of Fracture is one of the very few changes I'd still like to see made to Warriors. Granted, it doesn't affect warriors TOO badly now, but it can still get us TP starved in fights where we're spending a lot of time in Defiance. It also makes it a lot less useful as a cross class skill, as others have just pointed out.

Still, again it isn't a big issue for Warriors, and overall I'm really pleased with how the class evolved in 3.0.

Edit:

The changes I'd like to see are. 1: Bind being removed from Holmgang when it fails to apply to enemies. 2: slightly lowered TP cost for Fracture. Also, I'm totally satisfied with the number of defensive cooldowns we have access to now. Between the defensive cooldowns and additional self heals it feels like Warriors have a lot more options available to them while main tanking now.

Noi

Every hunt mark in the game needs to be like Kaiser Behemoth. I managed to fight that the other day and its the most fun/hilarious experience I've had in all of 3.0.

No salvation from Meteors.

Ken

Honestly, slightly reducing the TP cost of Fracture is one of the very few changes I'd still like to see made to Warriors. Granted, it doesn't affect warriors TOO badly now, but it can still get us TP starved in fights where we're spending a lot of time in Defiance. It also makes it a lot less useful as a cross class skill, as others have just pointed out.

Still, again it isn't a big issue for Warriors, and overall I'm really pleased with how the class evolved in 3.0.

Edit:

The changes I'd like to see are. 1: Bind being removed from Holmgang when it fails to apply to enemies. 2: slightly lowered TP cost for Fracture. Also, I'm totally satisfied with the number of defensive cooldowns we have access to now. Between the defensive cooldowns and additional self heals it feels like Warriors have a lot more options available to them while main tanking now.

Only times I'm TP starved in AS is when I overpower spam or when I hit sprint so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also Defiance doesn't make you any more TP starved than Deliverance does.

Tabris

Only times I'm TP starved in AS is when I overpower spam or when I hit sprint so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also Defiance doesn't make you any more TP starved than Deliverance does.

He probably means due to equilibrium.

Ken

He probably means due to equilibrium.

I should rephrase and say that in my experience, neither stance in current content, outside of the two situations I listed and maybe A4S, really gets you TP starved enough to need a TP Equilibrium, if that's his point.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Summoners in A3S: yay or nay?

I know BLMs are supposed to be superior in there. I'm curious about how SMNs perform though. Kinda get the feeling it could be a struggle.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Yeah, I'd like a TP reduction there as well. It would be nice if it was of GCD as well, but I'm worried that would be going too far.

scy

Summoners in A3S: yay or nay?

I know BLMs are supposed to be superior in there. I'm curious about how SMNs perform though. Kinda get the feeling it could be a struggle.

Our damage ceiling will be worse, mostly from adds being awkward, but we get a lot of leeway in terms of getting to DPS while moving. So you'll generally get to do pretty good regardless of the movement in the fight but once a BLM knows the fight inside and out, they'll eventually be better. Easier learning curve and can average a pretty good amount. Most of our lower showing will be the add phase costing us a fair amount but it's a phase of the fight that doesn't really need damage anyway.

plus, Teraflare is so much style points

It would be nice if it was of GCD as well, but I'm worried that would be going too far.

Does any class have an off-GCD DoT with no cooldown? Seems contrary to existing design in this game.

For that matter does any off-GCD ability use TP? I think all abilities are actually free to use.

On a different topic, all this moaning about endgame being stagnant has me motivated to continue trying out different jobs rather than rushing to endgame, but I wonder if I should finish off my highest job just so I can start capping esoterics. Probably by the time I'm ready to gear up the job I decide on Esos will be obsolete, so I'm not worried about it. Is this reasonable to assume given the past gear progression in this game?

Teknoman

Yes, if the appropriate number of people is like one full party cause dead server.

Stolas sleeps some people. I think the Hinter gobbie stuns and bursts a person every so often? The A's in Churning don't do anything out of normal compared to the mobs they're based on I think. The S in Churning just nukes a spot every once in awhile IIRC the one time I fought him. Corpse Flower is just stand away from the mark? CWH has an elephant so that's cool. I don't think King of Wyverns or Prylaster have any mechanics?

I like the Hand thing in La Noscea though. Oh and the S that casts doom in the cave, but more for the chaos with the inappropriate amount of people.

Yeah when me and some other GAF tackled some A ranks and S ranks like right around Heavenswards launch, was pretty fun. Marberry and that big hand thing. Especially if its not a giant zerg fest. That's the problem with the large alliance raids. They devolve into just special effects and sound channels dropping out.

Ken

world bosses arent all that much better w/ scaling. the only ones that are alright are the ones w/ actual mechanics to them, but the other ones are pretty much the same. Cant see what kills you and everybody spamming skills

I can't see what kills me in 99% of GW2 content.

Ken

Let me introduce you to Primal Immortal Flames.

Primal IF is actually pretty good? Got 20+ wins in a week not too long ago when I decided to finally spam Seize which is way better than Primal IF back in vanilla FL days. Usually pretty good at listening too if there's a capable shot caller. I think our biggest weakness is being too lax with letting the other GCs duke out leading to one GC being fed a ton of highs and fevers to stomp IF late game. Oh and sandwich cave RNG.

Primal Adders OTOH seems like a black hole of derp although I did fight an Adders party with a roaming stun bot PLD with invisible NINs.

Valor

God No. Labyrinth was awful from the get go with the shitty sewer/Bone Dragon segment that went on FOREVER, shitty Atomos fight, and rando quasi-boss encounters that pad the length. Syrcus Tower and WoD are superior in every way design wise. I dread going back into Labyrinth.

Between the defensive cooldowns and additional self heals it feels like Warriors have a lot more options available to them while main tanking now.
It seems to me like your problem is that you're main tanking as Warrior.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
EU-time Flames still seem really bad to the point where I've only every seen them win one match in the last month.

Which is fine honestly keep attacking Adders for no reason and carrying me to victory god bless

Zhao_Yun

What is going to happen? Super servers?

The Chaos Data Center which is the recommended data center for EU players will physically transfer from Canada to a not yet known location in Europe. Hopefully European players will have to deal with less latency after the move.

aceface

Stop being a baddie. I still get more wins as Twin Adders than 2nd or 3rd for the 8-10 matches I play per week.

i don't believe you. But I only play about 4 matches a week and Adders are really really bad in those. Korra would be in a better position to say, he's done all 3 GC's and plays a lot of matches.

Nokterian

The Chaos Data Center which is the recommended data center for EU players will physically transfer from Canada to a not yet known location in Europe. Hopefully European players will have to deal with less latency after the move.

All right i did experience some latency indeed.

WolvenOne

It seems to me like your problem is that you're main tanking as Warrior.

A1, A2, and A3, all have moments where the OT is going to be actively tanking stuff. In this respect at least these fights are fairly well designed.

Aaaaaaanyhow, on an entirely different subject. I just remembered that many months ago, YoshiP said that Training Grounds were coming, but that it might not make it into the game until 3.15. Thing is though, I'm pretty sure that was before 3.1 got a delay, so that feature at least might make it into 3.1 after all. Gonna keep my fingers crossed, because if I recall correctly Training Grounds was going to let players practice specific phases/mechanics from Coil and Alexander Savage. If so it'd actually be REALLY helpful. XD

Top Bottom