• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Jaeyden

Nah, don't bother with the old end game 50 gear. The best old 50 end game gear will cost you a lot, the second best requires hand ins, and the 50 AF crafting gear is probably sufficient to do NQ Ancient Lumber but not sure how sufficient it is to make the hand ins required to get the master craft books.

You can probably do HQ hand ins for the recipes at level 53. Technically FC airship doesn't require HQ Ancient Lumber hand ins, so as long as you can fill the progress bar you can make the lumber to hand in.

Cool, thanks. It's kinda what I thought. I still need like 100 more craftsmanship just to make the hand ins and then another 100 on top of that to make the AL. I'll just keep leveling and buy 53+ vendor gear.

WolvenOne

Only for it to drop i200 rings. Please understand.

Honestly, I'm expecting ilvl 200 weapons, and 210 rings, for a few simple reasons.

1: Generally in odd numbered patches, the devs try to make it somewhat easy for people to switch classes, even if they're already bought some Tome armor for their existing class. Thus, usually there's a somewhat quick/easy source of weapons you can legit clear the current eight man raid with. The only wrinkle with this is the Relic, which is likely to have a base ilvl of 200.

2: The 210 ring is somewhat I'd expect due to the simple fact that you'd need it to get to ilvl 210 without raiding. Generally the devs have, "eventually," given players a path to do this without raiding. In the past you didn't even need two max-ilvl rings, since a weapon five ilvl's higher could compensate, but since all weapons max out at 210 as of now, a 2nd 210 ring somewhere is kinda important.

Granted, they might decide to do things radically different this time around.

Sifl

On the topic of crafting, is there anyway to be decent at it without leveling each class? I kinda only wanted to cook and atm I've been stuck at lvl 51 because my gear isn't good enough to make the items for scrips turn ins or leves. I was trying to hold out until 55 to buy the vendor gear, but I'm basically stuck grinding Crowned Pies because I can't make any level 50+ food. My server is pretty small, and all the gear + food for leves on the mb are gonna put a dent in my pocket that I can't afford atm, so I'm probably gonna give up on it.

Also do Gestahl's and Fat Cat's really come from the lvl 55 Waterside Exploration? It's been like a month and I haven't gotten any yet.

On the topic of crafting, is there anyway to be decent at it without leveling each class? I kinda only wanted to cook and atm I've been stuck at lvl 51 because my gear isn't good enough to make the items for scrips turn ins or leves. I was trying to hold out until 55 to buy the vendor gear, but I'm basically stuck grinding Crowned Pies because I can't make any level 50+ food. My server is pretty small, and all the gear + food for leves on the mb are gonna put a dent in my pocket that I can't afford atm, so I'm probably gonna give up on it.

Also do Gestahl's and Fat Cat's really come from the lvl 55 Waterside Exploration? It's been like a month and I haven't gotten any yet.

you're gonna want the other skills. the good thing is that you already have steady hands 2 so it should be a bit easier. once you get byregot's blessing, crafting to 50 becomes pretty easy. You should at least have the lvl 15 skills

Sifl

you're gonna want the other skills. the good thing is that you already have steady hands 2 so it should be a bit easier. once you get byregot's blessing, crafting to 50 becomes pretty easy. You should at least have the lvl 15 skills
Aw man, carpenter is the only class that I haven't even started yet. Is there any class that if I'm not interested in I can just leave at 15, or all to 50?

Aw man, carpenter is the only class that I haven't even started yet. Is there any class that if I'm not interested in I can just leave at 15, or all to 50?

maybe armorsmith and blacksmith. Or you can at least level those last/slow. But idk if piece by piece or ingenuity are used in the high level crafting right now

Ken

Something I just realized about these seasonal events is that we never get seasonal weapon glamours, unlike other MMOs. Kind of a shame since it'd give us a lot more weapon glamour options.

aceface

I only have CUL and CRP at 60 and the rest at 15 and I can hq lv 60 food. It can be a bit of a struggle to hq but I can do it more often than not.

But honestly for raiding, lv 60 food is overkill at my current stats. The lv 55 stuff is fine and I can HQ that no problem.

Hey guys :)

So both my BRD and DRK are getting pretty close to 60 rather quickly here..

I was wondering if any PS4/Controller users in here have either one of them at 60, and if they're willing to offer advice on hotbar structure, or even maybe share what theirs looks like? ^^;

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks friends :')

Ok, so was 2.1 the best patch so far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aliYN8hNk

- Labyrinth of the Ancients
- The Wolves' Den (PVP)
- Housing
- Thornmarch (Hard Mode)
- Beast Tribe Quests
- Treasure Hunt
- Aesthetician
- Hildibrand
- Pharos Sirius
- Haukke Manor (Hard Mode)
- Copperbell Mines (Hard Mode)
- Duty Roulette
- Garuda (Extreme)
- Titan (Extreme)
- Ifrit (Extreme)
- Ultima (Hard Mode)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

- The Wolves' Den (PVP)
- Housing
- Thornmarch (Hard Mode)
- Beast Tribe Quests
- Treasure Hunt
- Aesthetician
- Hildibrand
- Pharos Sirius
- Duty Roulette
- Garuda (Extreme)
- Titan (Extreme)
- Ifrit (Extreme)
- Ultima (Hard Mode)
I liked 2.4 the most. Final Coil was amazing.

Sorian

Banned

- The Wolves' Den (PVP)
- Housing
- Thornmarch (Hard Mode)
- Beast Tribe Quests
- Treasure Hunt
- Aesthetician
- Hildibrand
- Pharos Sirius
- Duty Roulette
- Garuda (Extreme)
- Titan (Extreme)
- Ifrit (Extreme)
- Ultima (Hard Mode)

It's hard for me to give a nod to 2.1 when a lot of that stuff was really supposed to be in the initial release.

Garlador

It's hard for me to give a nod to 2.1 when a lot of that stuff was really supposed to be in the initial release.

I give them a pass on account of completely rebuilding the entire game from the ground up over a non-stop two year period with no means of subscriber income whatsoever...

Valor

Only for it to drop i200 rings. Please understand.
Dam u yoship.

Hey guys :)

So both my BRD and DRK are getting pretty close to 60 rather quickly here..

I was wondering if any PS4/Controller users in here have either one of them at 60, and if they're willing to offer advice on hotbar structure, or even maybe share what theirs looks like? ^^;

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks friends :')
Oh good someone who wants me to talk about Bard. I like people like that.

This is my main bar after 3.0 reshuffling
kv9a3.jpg

This is my secondary bar after 3.0 reshuffling
kv9ap.jpg

And then I have my extended bars set up so I have to hold down either L2+R2 or R2+L2 so it'll turn that secondary bar into these:
kv9bb.jpg

kv9bn.jpg

In addition to that I have these bars set up just to the right of the crossbars to help me keep track of junk.
kv9bC.jpg

For those wondering (None of you), Warden's Paean is on a bar I don't even use with my thrown away macros, /visor, Shadowbind, Swift Song, and Buffalo Milk. It's the most important hotbar there is. Also I guess my /recast macro for Raging Strikes and Battle Voice is there. That's kind of important I guess.

I just try to keep all of my most used stuff on that main bar so I don't have to go back and forth. I used to have my buffs there too but with Sidewinder/EA/Iron Jaws I just didn't have the space. I tried using the new stuff on extended bars, but EA's Cooldown is pretty important to manage, so I wanted it front and center. I also run Feint because Fuck the Rules™.

Oh good someone who wants me to talk about Bard. I like people like that.

This is my main bar after 3.0 reshuffling
kv9a3.jpg

This is my secondary bar after 3.0 reshuffling
kv9ap.jpg

And then I have my extended bars set up so I have to hold down either L2+R2 or R2+L2 so it'll turn that secondary bar into these:
kv9bb.jpg

kv9bn.jpg

In addition to that I have these bars set up just to the right of the crossbars to help me keep track of junk.
kv9bC.jpg

For those wondering (None of you), Warden's Paean is on a bar I don't even use with my thrown away macros, /visor, Shadowbind, Swift Song, and Buffalo Milk. It's the most important hotbar there is. Also I guess my /recast macro for Raging Strikes and Battle Voice is there. That's kind of important I guess.

I just try to keep all of my most used stuff on that main bar so I don't have to go back and forth. I used to have my buffs there too but with Sidewinder/EA/Iron Jaws I just didn't have the space. I tried using the new stuff on extended bars, but EA's Cooldown is pretty important to manage, so I wanted it front and center. I also run Feint because Fuck the Rules™.
Yay!! I think you were the dude who helped me last time!! :) You're amazing. Thank you so much for this!

I have a couple questions though, which are sort of noob-ish probably :(

What are extended bars and how do you construct those? o_o

Also those additional bars at the end! How do you make them? And how do you access those skills from that bar with a controller? Just kinda scroll over top?

I don't know if any of these questions are making sense ^^; LOL i'm so sorry!

Garlador

Yay!! I think you were the dude who helped me last time!! :) You're amazing. Thank you so much for this!

Also those additional bars at the end! How do you make them? And how do you access those skills from that bar with a controller? Just kinda scroll over top?

Ask away. I'm a controller guy myself and I admit I struggle mightily with accessing my abilities in a timely or efficient fashion.

It was pretty hard doing so as a Tank. I kept messing up and fumbling with the bars. I'm still not exactly great at it.

Ask away. I'm a controller guy myself and I admit I struggle mightily with accessing my abilities in a timely or efficient fashion.

It was pretty hard doing so as a Tank. I kept messing up and fumbling with the bars. I'm still not exactly great at it.
Yeah that's why I asked about DRK too! I mean I'm still trying to figure out what proper rotation is for both.. But I find structuring my hotbars to be a huge struggle LOL!

Valor

From the main menu go to Character Config -> Hotbar Settings > Cross > Check the "Enable expanded controls with simultaneous l2/r2" box. Then you can choose what hotbar is pulled from.

Those bars at the end I added in the Hud Layout, I just moved around "hotbar 1", made sure it was displayed and not hidden, then dragged skills to it with the virtual mouse (L1 + Right stick click). I don't click them, I just watch them tick down their recast, so I know when, for example, Blood for Blood is up without having to be looking at it on my crossbar. They're just for me to look at, not to actually use.

From the main menu go to Character Config -> Hotbar Settings > Cross > Check the "Enable expanded controls with simultaneous l2/r2" box. Then you can choose what hotbar is pulled from.

Those bars at the end I added in the Hud Layout, I just moved around "hotbar 1", made sure it was displayed and not hidden, then dragged skills to it with the virtual mouse (L1 + Right stick click). I don't click them, I just watch them tick down their recast, so I know when, for example, Blood for Blood is up without having to be looking at it on my crossbar. They're just for me to look at, not to actually use.

Ooooohhhhh!!

I think I understand now!

Thank you so much Valor <3! I owe you one, yet again! :)

I've been using controller for like over a year now and there's still so much to learn ^^;. At the same time, though, I don't think I could go back to keyboard now that I've switched!

Sifl

I only have CUL and CRP at 60 and the rest at 15 and I can hq lv 60 food. It can be a bit of a struggle to hq but I can do it more often than not.

But honestly for raiding, lv 60 food is overkill at my current stats. The lv 55 stuff is fine and I can HQ that no problem.
Then I'll try leveling Carpetner up and see how it goes, I didn't really have an intent at making 60 food anyway.

Wow I never even thought of doing this. Whenever I go back on I'm gonna set this up. I always hold L2+R2 to see if they are back up, sometimes causing me to mess up my buttons.

Omni

So with crafting, I was told the best thing to do is to level every class up to 15 and then choose one or two to level up completely? Is that right?

Is any one crafting class better than the other? I was thinking weaving because... that way I can make stuff I want too. But if something would be more useful that might be the way to go instead.

That's a really good idea.

aceface

Just the three extreme battles and Ultima HM puts it in top tier for odd numbered patches.

In comparison in 3.1 it seems like all we're getting is {final battle} extreme mode.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So with crafting, I was told the best thing to do is to level every class up to 15 and then choose one or two to level up completely? Is that right?

Is any one crafting class better than the other? I was thinking weaving because... that way I can make stuff I want too. But if something would be more useful that might be the way to go instead.
Depends on what you want to do. If you're in it for just some low lv vanity gear or to craft your own food and potions, 1 or 2 classes at 60 will be good enough. If you don't want to be dependent on the Market Board for mats or want to make high ilv gear for some weird reason then you'll need to lv a few more classes to at least 50.

As for if some classes are better than other classes, it again depends on your goals. Weapons are done by CRP, BSM, GSM, and ALC. Gear is done by ARM, GSM, WVR, and LTW. Accessories by GSM, CRP, and LTW. Food by CUL and potions by ALC. Depending on your battle class some crafting classes will let you repair your gear (even while inside an instance). Recipes also often require crafted items from another class so if you stick to just 1 class you'll need to get someone else to craft mats for you or buy them from the Market Board.

Cross Class skills are also very important so if you want to make things easier you'll need to lv multiple classes. Everything to lv 15 is a good start, after that it should be something like CUL to 37 for Steady Hand II, CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing, Weaver to 50 for Careful Synthesis II, ALC to 50 for Comfort Zone, ARM to 50 for Piece by Piece (you can skip this if you're not gonna bother crafting high ilv recipes). If you haven't quit by that point you should pickup Muscle Memory from lv 54 CUL, Makers Mark from lv 54 GSM, Ingenuity II from lv 50 BSM, and Waste Not II from LTW 50.

If you're only getting into crafting to make a quick virtual buck, don't bother, it's a huge gilsink. Look into lving Gathering classes if you just want to make gil.

Sorian

Banned
Just the three extreme battles and Ultima HM puts it in top tier for odd numbered patches.

In comparison in 3.1 it seems like all we're getting is {final battle} extreme mode.

I'd be highly surprised if we aren't getting a boss trial that is story related and has it's own EX mode as well.

Xux

Got PLD to 60. :D

I like how Royal Authority has its damage come up on the first hit of the animation while Rage of Halone still waits until the last hit.

Got PLD to 60. :D

I like how Royal Authority has its damage come up on the first hit of the animation while Rage of Halone still waits until the last hit.

I was complaining about this as well. It throws me off and doesn't make any sense feedback wise to have the damage portion of Royal Authority to be shown on the first hit. It just feels wrong. Makes the second hit which is significantly more flashy feel like it's there for nothing imo.

dcye

Care to explain? Would love to hear how/when/why you use it . I'm looking to move Quelling off my bar as I feel like I can just mouse click it when needed.

Because SE are stupid and didn't give BRD a GCD insta-cast for keeping damage up in movement heavy situations you can cross-class and use Feint. So instead of having to drop Minuet you can drop some Feints while moving to your new spot ala Scathe on BLM.

Valor

Care to explain? Would love to hear how/when/why you use it . I'm looking to move Quelling off my bar as I feel like I can just mouse click it when needed.

Extremely situational, but basically if you're going to need to move for a long time and don't have Straighter Shot procced and ready to go to keep your GCD spinning, Feint is an instant cast in Wanderer's Minuet while gaining the damage boost.

In a perfect world you could, in theory, use Feint as a lead in to Empyreal Arrow as well to keep your GCD spinning while Empyreal Arrow is cast without having to save Straighter Shot procs. It can kind of feel clunky this way but it definitely does work. It's extremely situational and there are plenty of people who don't believe in it/use it, but I prefer bringing it with me over a 5% mantra or keen flurry/featherfoot.

WolvenOne

Okay, so 2.1 and 2.2 were the patches that had the most content, but in terms of quality a lot of stuff in 2.1 and 2.2 weren't all the great. Still, they were really good patches.

I'd be highly surprised if we aren't getting a boss trial that is story related and has it's own EX mode as well.

I mean, we rather need more level 60 trials, and a 2nd Extreme would put the number of Extreme (or near Extreme,) Trials about on par with what we had during 2.1. (When you combine 3.0 and 3.1) That said, there are certain difficulties that adding another Extreme present. Specifically, aside from an accessory, what do they put there for a weapon? A different ilvl200 weapon? 195? Can't really put in a 210 weapon without rendering Alexander, and Esoteric weapons moot, (and rendering Relics mostly moot.)

Don't get me wrong, we NEED all the level 60 trials we can get. It's just a bit tough to figure out the whole drop thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sure glad I have a billiion things to do in this game because I play it moderately outside of raiding :p AKA game aint dead for me :p

Still need to

Get battle classes to 60 besides my sch
Actually level crafters and gatherers *catch every fish*
Get the rest of my Triad cards
Get the final 40 minions I need for 3.1
Breed a maxed out racing chocobo
Maybe buy a house or decorate a room
Get my companion chocobo to 20
Do pvp finally and get into it.

When 3.1 hits I'll have Minion mini game and island stuff to do as well.

WolvenOne

I still have plenty to do, I just wish there were more trials and such at 60. Honestly, just adding echo to Ravana and Bismark will help a lot. I mean assuming there's a mount or there or something else to farm up.

With echo, even if you're not certain about everyone you can generally power through an extreme with enough tries. Plus you get to watch some hilariously big numbers while doing it.

Garlador

Had my first "real" bad experience with a party yesterday.

I've had hundreds of fantastic parties before. Even when we have a player that doesn't fully know what to do, most of the other party members are patient enough to explain the mechanics of the fight or dungeon and can tolerate a few failures.

It was in Gabul Library, and things went fairly smoothly until the final boss. We wiped four times. Our tank kept losing aggro and blaming me for doing "too much" damage, our healer kept getting distracted and letting the tank die (in which case, yes, the DPS draws aggro), and we kept having players not understanding which platforms to stand on to prevent adds from spawning.

It got rude. I always try and remain patient, and I know the fight extremely well, yet blame just kept being tossed around and, because we were already 60 minutes into the fight, nobody wanted to abandon at that point.

... We did anyway. Probably for the best, but not a great note to end the day on. I really don't understand how some players can be so impatient with newer players (and I would even say the Heavensward content is still "new" enough). Everyone was new at some point.

Gonna try again later today. Hopefully with more patient and respectful players.

Sorian

Banned
I've run Gabul library like 3 times and it was all during early access. I'd probably be worse than a new person. All I remember is running past demon book on ice. I wish the library had been the 60 dungeon and shitty neverreap was the level 59.

gryvan

I've run Gabul library like 3 times and it was all during early access. I'd probably be worse than a new person. All I remember is running past demon book on ice. I wish the library had been the 60 dungeon and shitty neverreap was the level 59.

All I remember in that dungeon is the elevator music

Top Bottom