• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

AwShucks

Up to level 38 with my BLM. Each level doesn't have all that many story quests anymore, making my daily roulette basically required. Ah well, they are fun. I like seeing my experience bar go up!

All I remember in that dungeon is the elevator music

Gubal Library key features:
- great glamour gear (coats and ribbons/cravats)
- watching dragoons get hit in the face by a giant book turning around
- /soothe as Esuna
- levelling dungeon that doesn't sync you below 60
- you can learn about Garlean society
- elevator music is a nice break from The Vault if you've just been grinding that
- I don't know what Gubal means but it was probably in one of the books

all boxes ticked

☑ Great
☑ Gubal
☑ Library

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
- /soothe as Esuna
- elevator music is a nice break from The Vault if you've just been grinding that

all boxes ticked

☑ Great
☑ Gubal
☑ Library

-Level 5 Death

ReaperXL7

Can anyone give me some general tips for my bar for Summoner I have been out of the game for awhile and started up again yesterday. I have never had any issues with playing on PS4 with a controller for Summoner before but I am a bit unsure of how to rework it to fit in all of the new skills that came with Heavensward.

I was also wondering what the current consesus on Machinist is as I remember reading at launch that they were severly underpowered in relation to pretty much ever other DPS class save BRD. Have those issues been fixed?

Can anyone give me some general tips for my bar for Summoner I have been out of the game for awhile and started up again yesterday. I have never had any issues with playing on PS4 with a controller for Summoner before but I am a bit unsure of how to rework it to fit in all of the new skills that came with Heavensward.

I was also wondering what the current consesus on Machinist is as I remember reading at launch that they were severly underpowered in relation to pretty much ever other DPS class save BRD. Have those issues been fixed?

They weren't under powered. Just a lot of people not knowing how to play the class. Being a support range, they will never be "better" in terms of raw damage than any other class given both are played optimally. Their buffs have just been the same damage bump up from their stance as bard, a cooldown reduction on their quick ammo option, and the removal of a cast bar for their stance in case you need to drop out of it or apply it quickly. So nothing major. I havent seen any MCH hate after the first month since the bads mostly stopped playing the class

Nothing amazing, but here's my set-up. I use extended hotbars to display the second palette. The third palette is 'super situational/utility' for all my classes and tends to have crap accumulate on it, hence the duplicated pet actions and stuff.

bar1ndk9b.png

bar247kn5.png

bar3rckl7.png

Using the virtual mouse I created a hotbar to go next to my cross hotbar and show the cooldowns for key skills/items not on palette 1.
I really recommend doing this for key abilities with a cooldown that you don't have on your main palette; saves a lot of flicking to your extended bars to see if things are up yet.

Squishy3

- /soothe as Esuna

all boxes ticked

☑ Great
☑ Gubal
☑ Library
you forgot about the book minion

AwShucks

Nothing amazing, but here's my set-up. I use extended hotbars to display the second palette. The third palette is 'super situational/utility' for all my classes and tends to have crap accumulate on it, hence the duplicated pet actions and stuff.

Using the virtual mouse I created a hotbar to go next to my cross hotbar and show the cooldowns for key skills/items not on palette 1.
I really recommend doing this for key abilities with a cooldown that you don't have on your main palette; saves a lot of flicking to your extended bars to see if things are up yet.

I really like the cooldown hotbar. As a BLM I use Raging Strike a lot but the cooldown is long enough that I could use that spot on my main cross bar for something else.

I really like the cooldown hotbar. As a BLM I use Raging Strike a lot but the cooldown is long enough that I could use that spot on my main cross bar for something else.

The cool down hotbar 1 is a godsend as it reduces the mount of checking you have to do. How i played this game so long without someone telling me to do this before hand is criminal.

Garlador

The cool down hotbar 1 is a godsend as it reduces the mount of checking you have to do. How i played this game so long without someone telling me to do this before hand is criminal.

I very well might try this. It has become rather annoying to switch bars just to check on my cooldowns.

Leunam

Hey guys :)

So both my BRD and DRK are getting pretty close to 60 rather quickly here..

I was wondering if any PS4/Controller users in here have either one of them at 60, and if they're willing to offer advice on hotbar structure, or even maybe share what theirs looks like? ^^;

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks friends :')

Looks like BRD has been covered but no one picked up DRK so I'll show you what I've got:

g3NEjBe.jpg

This is my walkaround hotbar. Unmend and Unleash close by for pulling purposes and Grit and Darkside there for stance setup, main tank or off tank. The macro at the left is Unmend followed by Plunge, generally only used for Boss fights, nice hate spike. The icons on the right are for cooldowns, so I don't need to keep a mental timer, you'll see why on the next cross-bar.

NsGUYhB.jpg

Unleash and Unmend in the same spot, so muscle memory does the work here if I need it. TP moves on the right, and combos go one way or the other, with R2+Square > Triangle > Circle for my hate combo, and R2+Square > Right D-Pad > Up D-pad/Down D-pad depending on what I need. Reprisal in a spot that gets a lot of attention, so I can always see it and use it when it's available. Defensive cooldowns on the L2 side and clustered together for visibility. Carve and Spit is in an odd spot since it was the last ability I got, but it's also highly visible since it's where my defensive stuff is located. Scourge is in a spot where I can be reminded it exists, since I'm using the Souleater combo quite a bit as well.

oYuZUtN.jpg

R2 + L2

Since I'm using my R2 buttons a lot, most cases all I need to do is hold L2 and then press Up for a stun, or Down for Plunge when it's up. Left or Right for additional defensive cooldowns, and X if I see my health drop to around 20%. Generally I'm already holding L2, so a quick R2+Up, or R2+X is very easy to do, and comes down to muscle memory. I also have Grit, Darkside, and Blood Weapon here for stance dancing.

OfujN1I.jpg

L2+R2

A couple of 'oh shit' buttons put together, as in my Provoke and Living Dead macros. Salted Earth and Dark Passenger seem like they aren't very accessible, but because I have the same icons to the side, I can better prepare myself for when I need them. Sole Survivor and Mercy Stroke are also in this bar because they're only relevant near target death, so if I see the Mercy Stroke icon light up on the side, I know I can use both.

As for the vertical icons on the side, they are there to let me know when something is ready to go. Low Blow has a short cooldown, but if I parry I can usually see the cooldown speed up. The left side has all the important things I need, so I don't need to fiddle around with my hotbars mid-fight to see what's good to go, I know when Salted Earth is ready and I can keep it up as often as I want.

If you have any questions, let me know.

WolvenOne

BTW.

How do you get the new style walls for homes? Also, are they dyeable different colors? Rather like the Arms Supplier Wall, it'd be nice if I could choose a color other than yellow.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BTW.

How do you get the new style walls for homes? Also, are they dyeable different colors? Rather like the Arms Supplier Wall, it'd be nice if I could choose a color other than yellow.
They're workshop projects, 12 brutal phases. You can dye them, but afaik the dye options are very limited. Something like 1 dye that's applied on everything except the walls and most of the fence.

Default Merchant:

3hFJ9AP.jpg

Yellow:
jSKGOsX.jpg

Purple:
MSHngc4.jpg

Arms Supplier in Black:
hWGtBUJ.jpg

Pink:
hLhfZp2.jpg

You can use Garland Tools to view the recipe and keep track of what you've gathered. Get everything for it (that means everything, you can't select just the pieces you like. It's all or nothing, final product comes out as 1 item that changes the whole look of the house), ask an officer to start the project for you in the workshop, get 3 other people to join you in a workshop crafting party (sounds more fun than it is), and dump mats in.

WolvenOne

They're workshop projects, 12 brutal phases. You can dye them, but afaik the dye options are very limited. Something like 1 dye that's applied on everything except the walls and most of the fence.

You can use Garland Tools to view the recipe and keep track of what you've gathered. Get everything for it (that means everything, you can't select just the pieces you like. It's all or nothing, final product comes out as 1 item that changes the whole look of the house), ask an officer to start the project for you in the workshop, get 3 other people to join you in a workshop crafting party (sounds more fun than it is), and dump mats in.

Ah, okay lets take a look at this recipe and WHHOAZA!!?? O_O

Okay, this might take a few days.

Wait, Gubal doesn't sync you below 60!? Wwwwweird!

Makes me want to run in there with a full 60 party to just destroy it.

Leveling my Ninja, i got the amazing opportunity to run into King Waffle in Gubal. He bragged about how he was doing 2x the other dps.

An unsynced i200 WAR.

That guy is the new Mr Seco on ultros.

suzu

Those exteriors are only for FC houses w/ airships though, right? It's not like you can use it for personal housing? lol

Valor

I'm actually surprised how little ribbing I got about the easter egg in one of my pictures. Only one person said something, I assume, since I was deafened in mumble listening to the game grumps finishing up their playthrough of King's Quest. Maybe I expect too much from you people.

Also, that King Waffle was the bro who was like begging for A1S groups and stuff a month or so back. Such a pro.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Those exteriors are only for FC houses w/ airships though, right? It's not like you can use it for personal housing? lol
No, you need an FC house for the workshop to build it and FC Airships to unlock the recipes in the workshop. The final product can be used in a personal house though, there's a guy with a house next to the GAF Ultros FC house that is using the merchant wall on his personal house.

I'm actually surprised how little ribbing I got about the easter egg in one of my pictures. Only one person said something, I assume, since I was deafened in mumble listening to the game grumps finishing up their playthrough of King's Quest. Maybe I expect too much from you people.

I don't know about everyone else, but I was being British and diplomatically pretending that I didn't see anything in order to protect the dignity of all parties concerned.

Shenmue

Banned
Need some advice PS4 players!

What do you guys use for typing? Any good keypads that connect to the DS4? Any keyboards you would recommend?

I'm used to playing wow and having recount. I have a 60 white mage, every other fighitng job is at 30 atm, working on getting them all at 60 since end game in this is even worse than wow =\ I want to download one of the dps recount addons for this game I keep reading about. I just want it to compare how I'm doing compared ot everyone else being a semi new player. I'll NEVER EVER talk about it in game as I only care about my performance. IS it safe to use it like this or does square ban for this? All I know is I've been spammed by the same gil smammer for 6 days now since I don't black list his poor soul and square doesn't seem to care about gil sellers.

aceface

I'm used to playing wow and having recount. I have a 60 white mage, every other fighitng job is at 30 atm, working on getting them all at 60 since end game in this is even worse than wow =\ I want to download one of the dps recount addons for this game I keep reading about. I just want it to compare how I'm doing compared ot everyone else being a semi new player. I'll NEVER EVER talk about it in game as I only care about my performance. IS it safe to use it like this or does square ban for this? All I know is I've been spammed by the same gil smammer for 6 days now since I don't black list his poor soul and square doesn't seem to care about gil sellers.

No don't worry about it, YoshiP even said it's ok to use them as long as you don't talk about it in the game.

No don't worry about it, YoshiP even said it's ok to use them as long as you don't talk about it in the game.

Everytime I mention in my FC how YoshiP say White Mages shouldn't be dpsing in raids I get cursed out by 30 virgins =\ Oh and can you link me to a safe one? ty :d

Squishy3

Everytime I mention in my FC how YoshiP say White Mages shouldn't be dpsing in raids I get cursed out by 30 virgins =\ Oh and can you link me to a safe one? ty :d
Well groups going for world/server first use that extra DPS to beat gear checks because that's limited by weekly lockouts, and YoshiP says they don't tune the content with healer DPS in mind. So it doesn't need to be done, but if people want to be on the cutting edge of progression every extra number helps them get over that one hump.

Tat's not to say there's no reason to not DPS when possible as a healer, of course. But it should obviously never take priority over.. well, healing. That attitude you mention your FC mates having is obviously toxic and not a good attitude to have, but people will be people.

Torpy

Neo Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy subscription or a place where buying it could be cheaper? I haven't played in a long while and I'm getting back into it.

AwShucks

Soooo did anyone actually beat the 2.0 MSQ in 40 hours? That was about the average I've read but I'm at 40 hours, trying to do as little outside the MSQ as possible, and I'm level 40 with probably about 50 quests left.

Shenmue

Banned
Soooo did anyone actually beat the 2.0 MSQ in 40 hours? That was about the average I've read but I'm at 40 hours, trying to do as little outside the MSQ as possible, and I'm level 40 with probably about 50 quests left.

Up to Heavensward? It should be around there. I think a lot of us can't really give an exact number because we did a variety of other things at the same time.

This is what I use. Bluetooth, no dongle, light, matches my PS4, and it was cheap.

Awesome thanks for the advice!

Omni

Got my Bard to level 58. Still getting used to WM, but I am curious. Should I have that on 100% of the time? That's what I've been doing in dungeons and stuff up to this point but... I dunno. My damage output doesn't seem that high to me? Everything is just so slow. I wish I could see in raw numbers. Feel like my White Mage is far more capable (which admittedly is higher levelled and has better gear... but eh. Bard's new abilities just feel so very underwhelming).

Remfin

I rushed my alt (skipping all cutscenes) and I got through at least the end of 2.1 with my sprout. But I was a DPS so you could cut out 5 minutes here or there for queues for tank/healer.

So no, if you actually watch things, and are new to the game, it's much more than 40 hours.

Soma

Got my Bard to level 58. Still getting used to WM, but I am curious. Should I have that on 100% of the time? That's what I've been doing in dungeons and stuff up to this point but... I dunno. My damage output doesn't seem that high to me? Everything is just so slow. I wish I could see in raw numbers. Feel like my White Mage is far more capable (which admittedly is higher levelled and has better gear... but eh. Bard's new abilities just feel so very underwhelming).
I have it on pretty much 100% of the time when i switch to Bard.

I'm sure you're aware that you'll usually do less damage compared to other dps jobs since we're also a support class but remember a good chunk of our damage comes from our DoTs (windbite, venomous bite, flaming arrow) and keeping those up as much as possible. I hadn't realized just how much those build up over time until i had a friend parse me.

There's also gear and keeping up your buffs when appropriate to take into account. I settled on a pretty good opener/rotation that i keep to and i feel that i'm able to put out some decent damage regularly.

AwShucks

I rushed my alt (skipping all cutscenes) and I got through at least the end of 2.1 with my sprout. But I was a DPS so you could cut out 5 minutes here or there for queues for tank/healer.

So no, if you actually watch things, and are new to the game, it's much more than 40 hours.

In the end it doesn't really matter. I'm enjoying it and look forward to my one to two hours each night. Just have a bunch of other games to play as well.

Looks like BRD has been covered but no one picked up DRK so I'll show you what I've got:

g3NEjBe.jpg

This is my walkaround hotbar. Unmend and Unleash close by for pulling purposes and Grit and Darkside there for stance setup, main tank or off tank. The macro at the left is Unmend followed by Plunge, generally only used for Boss fights, nice hate spike. The icons on the right are for cooldowns, so I don't need to keep a mental timer, you'll see why on the next cross-bar.

NsGUYhB.jpg

Unleash and Unmend in the same spot, so muscle memory does the work here if I need it. TP moves on the right, and combos go one way or the other, with R2+Square > Triangle > Circle for my hate combo, and R2+Square > Right D-Pad > Up D-pad/Down D-pad depending on what I need. Reprisal in a spot that gets a lot of attention, so I can always see it and use it when it's available. Defensive cooldowns on the L2 side and clustered together for visibility. Carve and Spit is in an odd spot since it was the last ability I got, but it's also highly visible since it's where my defensive stuff is located. Scourge is in a spot where I can be reminded it exists, since I'm using the Souleater combo quite a bit as well.

oYuZUtN.jpg

R2 + L2

Since I'm using my R2 buttons a lot, most cases all I need to do is hold L2 and then press Up for a stun, or Down for Plunge when it's up. Left or Right for additional defensive cooldowns, and X if I see my health drop to around 20%. Generally I'm already holding L2, so a quick R2+Up, or R2+X is very easy to do, and comes down to muscle memory. I also have Grit, Darkside, and Blood Weapon here for stance dancing.

OfujN1I.jpg

L2+R2

A couple of 'oh shit' buttons put together, as in my Provoke and Living Dead macros. Salted Earth and Dark Passenger seem like they aren't very accessible, but because I have the same icons to the side, I can better prepare myself for when I need them. Sole Survivor and Mercy Stroke are also in this bar because they're only relevant near target death, so if I see the Mercy Stroke icon light up on the side, I know I can use both.

As for the vertical icons on the side, they are there to let me know when something is ready to go. Low Blow has a short cooldown, but if I parry I can usually see the cooldown speed up. The left side has all the important things I need, so I don't need to fiddle around with my hotbars mid-fight to see what's good to go, I know when Salted Earth is ready and I can keep it up as often as I want.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Wow! Thank you so much for doing all that! I really appreciate it :)

It looks like it makes sense at first glance! :) If I have any questions while I'm building it up on my DRK I'll make sure to ask you!

Thanks again to you as well as Valor! I appreciate it so much! :')

Top Bottom