• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

I do get a bit frustrated with so many players going to the, "progression servers," rather than trying to make something on Ultros. Still, it's understandable enough. It's just easier to find groups on more heavily populated servers.

BTW, how many sealers do I need to make the full Artisan set? I'm back to using dailies to get Alchemist and Weaver leveled, so I might as well get the set for the classes I still have at 50.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
o30LGoF.gif

Omni

I have it on pretty much 100% of the time when i switch to Bard.

I'm sure you're aware that you'll usually do less damage compared to other dps jobs since we're also a support class but remember a good chunk of our damage comes from our DoTs (windbite, venomous bite, flaming arrow) and keeping those up as much as possible. I hadn't realized just how much those build up over time until i had a friend parse me.

There's also gear and keeping up your buffs when appropriate to take into account. I settled on a pretty good opener/rotation that i keep to and i feel that i'm able to put out some decent damage regularly.
Yeah, I knew Bard did less damage than other classes. I was expecting something a little... punchier though :p Just seems like WM doesn't particularly add much but that could just be in my head. Empyreal Arrow is great I suppose! Question. What opener should I be using? Does it really matter? Right now I usually go something like this (don't have level 60 ability yet so maybe that will change a bit)

Straight shot > Windbite > Venemous Bite > Empyreal Arrow > Flaming Arrow > Bloodletter/RoD > Heavyshot.

Plus I weave in Blunt Arrow and cooldowns whenever they're available. (which also brings me to ask, when on Earth do I use Barrage? I'm not sure I understand that ability so much)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, I knew Bard did less damage than other classes. I was expecting something a little... punchier though :p Just seems like WM doesn't particularly add much but that could just be in my head. Empyreal Arrow is great I suppose! Question. What opener should I be using? Does it really matter? Right now I usually go something like this (don't have level 60 ability yet so maybe that will change a bit)

Straight shot > Windbite > Venemous Bite > Empyreal Arrow > Flaming Arrow > Bloodletter/RoD > Heavyshot.

Plus I weave in Blunt Arrow and cooldowns whenever they're available. (which also brings me to ask, when on Earth do I use Barrage? I'm not sure I understand that ability so much)
Use it before Empyreal Arrow.

Sifl

If anyone wants to come to Mateus and be the 3rd person in Idyllshire during the weekdays you're welcome to join.

I do get a bit frustrated with so many players going to the, "progression servers," rather than trying to make something on Ultros. Still, it's understandable enough. It's just easier to find groups on more heavily populated servers.

BTW, how many sealers do I need to make the full Artisan set? I'm back to using dailies to get Alchemist and Weaver leveled, so I might as well get the set for the classes I still have at 50.

You're looking at like 12 sealants for the gear not including off-hands, but it's not really worth investing in the set because the crafting gear you can wear at 51 will already make it obsolete, and 53 gear will totally outclass it. You can absolutely get by with your green gear + blue quest main hand before you start getting 3.0 gear.

BadRNG

Another DRK set up:

qmkBaaF.jpg

First bar is most used skills, basically stuff used constantly throughout every fight. Second bar is rarely used or PvP, and prevents me from ever fat fingering grit/dark side. Third bar is the hold L2/R2 and R2/L2 on left/right respectively. These are cooldowns or cross class stuff.

Then I keep a separate hotbar up at all times on the side to watch cooldown timers. No matter how you set up your bars, this is a must for controllers IMO, it's best way to keep timers in mind.

WolvenOne

You're looking at like 12 sealants for the gear not including off-hands, but it's not really worth investing in the set because the crafting gear you can wear at 51 will already make it obsolete, and 53 gear will totally outclass it. You can absolutely get by with your green gear + blue quest main hand before you start getting 3.0 gear.

The 51 gear needs to be crafted as well, asks I'll be able to get the artisans stuff essentially for free. Besides, with only level ilvl 55 gear those first few lavels at 60 are agony.

Xux

Oh man, the 53 body and off-hand from the quest was such a huge upgrade over my HQ Patricians.

Also, Precise Touch is pretty neat.

Aizo

Banned
Finally got FFXIV with Heavensward in Japan.
It took forever to download, and then got a runtime error when I tried to install...
I got the ffxivsetup.exe from the Japanese site, so when it asks for a region and language, do I need to select Japanese? That would be fine, but my computer isn't Japanese, so the installation looks like this.
Kinda annoyed and lost with this process right now...

Omni

Use it before Empyreal Arrow.
Many thanks. I didn't realise it affected that skill. I've been using it with straight shot xD
Yeah I know I'm well into the HW content. It's just significantly less fun with randoms
I agree to an extent. But I've played with some great people. Just gotta stir up some conversation at the start of a dungeon!

I have noticed that people in earlier 1-50 instances are usually more friendly though

Wazzy

Banned
Hit 60 a couple days ago and finished main story yesterday. Now I'm just farming eso's and law so I can gear up for higher stuff.

I know the first thing I should do is get weapon but..I really want the dragoon helmet. ; ;

Ken

Hit 60 a couple days ago and finished main story yesterday. Now I'm just farming eso's and law so I can gear up for higher stuff.

I know the first thing I should do is get weapon but..I really want the dragoon helmet. ; ;

Just get the DRG helmet if that's what you want first.

You're quite a bit behind the minimum for most Savage recruitment anyways, and buy order doesn't matter for non-Savage stuff.

I will say Brionac is a cool looking spear so it's not a total loss.

Wazzy

Banned
Just get the DRG helmet if that's what you want first.

You're quite a bit behind the minimum for most Savage recruitment anyways, and buy order doesn't matter for non-Savage stuff.

I will say Brionac is a cool looking spear so it's not a total loss.

Yeah I won't be doing Savage for quite a bit. Even RavEx I won't be able to touch for a couple weeks. I'll pickup helmet Thursday and then start saving for weapon. I think I can hit 170 quite easily with Laws but after that gearing is going to slow down a bit.

I can look forward to trying for Rav's Hive Spear, though. Looks great.

dcye

It also disables AA tho

Yeah but I really doubt he's adding up his auto-attacks as he goes, I'm assuming he's just talking about raw big numbers. Still like a 10% damage buff assuming he's hitting all of his auto-attacks out of Minuet (which I doubt).

The 51 gear needs to be crafted as well, asks I'll be able to get the artisans stuff essentially for free. Besides, with only level ilvl 55 gear those first few lavels at 60 are agony.

Seems like a wasted opportunity. If you have the mats already, you're better off selling them and making some gil - I don't see the point in blowing them on a set that'll last you for all of an hour on each class that'll wear it, and if you were planning on spiritbonding it, there are better ways to do it. The Artisan's stuff will only last (to level 53) if you meld it, and there's no reason to meld levelling gear.
You're likely struggling with the first few levels is because you get a penalty for doing crafts with a recipe level higher than your class level, but even with this in mind, going from 50-51 is a cinch.

Sifl

My server makes no sense. I'm leveling CRP, went to buy elm lumber or logs on the mb. Elm logs are selling almost double what elm lumber sells for. The mb prices are just atrocious in general, this whole place is ass backwards.

My server makes no sense. I'm leveling CRP, went to buy elm lumber or logs on the mb. Elm logs are selling almost double what elm lumber sells for. The mb prices are just atrocious in general, this whole place is ass backwards.

It's likely that the logs are more expensive because elm lumber NQ is sold by vendors for 78 gil, but elm logs can only be gathered. Meanwhile, there's a leve for elm lumber x3 which you'd want to turn in HQ for, and as such you'd want the raw logs to attempt HQ.

Sifl

It's likely that the logs are more expensive because elm lumber NQ is sold by vendors for 78 gil, but elm logs can only be gathered. Meanwhile, there's a leve for elm lumber x3 which you'd want to turn in HQ for, and as such you'd want the raw logs to attempt HQ.
Godammit.

Edit: Of course it's a beast tribe vendor, completely forgot about them.

Omni

It's a straight 30% damage increase to all of your skills so yeah, its in your head.
Yeah, it's a damage increase per attack. But cast times are significantly longer too and you lose autoattack. So, yanno! I'm kinda underwhelmed by it overall. Seems like the only reason it would be a net damage buff is because of Iron Jaws, Empyreal Arrow and Sidewinder (latter of which I haven't got yet). All of which could have easily been normal abilities.

I have no problem using it, of course. Just think that for something that drastically changes the way the job plays, it should have more of an impact by itself.
I realise this is old conversation so I'm kinda just rambling xD

Valor

Yeah, it's a damage increase per attack. But cast times are significantly longer too and you lose autoattack. So, yanno! I'm kinda underwhelmed by it overall. Seems like the only reason it would be a net damage buff is because of Iron Jaws, Empyreal Arrow and Sidewinder (latter of which I haven't got yet). All of which could have easily been normal abilities.

I have no problem using it, of course. Just think that for something that drastically changes the way the job plays, it should have more of an impact by itself.
I realise this is old conversation so I'm kinda just rambling xD

Damage output on Bard is actually rather decent? It's still in a spot where you won't be jockeying for the top dps spot (unless your melee/casters are atrocious) but you can do some solid damage with bard. If your damage output feels a bit underwhelming, you're probably playing the class incorrectly. I'm sorry to say it that bluntly but it's probably true. Minuet is a pretty significant increase to base damage across the board, like my Heavy Shots hit for 1-1.1k in Minuet and around 800 out of it. On the surface it doesn't make up for the missed auto attacks, but try parsing yourself in and out of Minuet

Piggybacking off of Kagari, Barrage is pretty much made for Empyreal Arrow. I think the only skills that Barrage doesn't work on are off GCDs like Straighter Shot procs/Bloodletter/Sidewinder/Blunt Arrow/Repelling Shot. I mean people always say it drastically changes the way that bard plays but I think it really kind of improves the way that bard plays and makes it a bit more engaging than it used to be. It's not for everyone, but the cast times are significantly shorter than casters, but I like it since it gives me a second to assess the battlefield and my own ability timers and choose the best action to use next. Plus I don't have to be locked on for auto attacks so I feel like I have a much more free range of movement than I did before.

Again, to each their own.

Jayhawk

Or you can get the 51 gear NQ as quest rewards or buy the 51 gear NQ from vendor for much cheaper than the amount of gil you'd make selling the materials you would have used for artisan's gear. Stop being a crafting baddie.

aceface

Hi everyone, my Alex group on Ultros is looking for a new healer. We run Sundays and Thursdays from 9-11:30pm eastern and are on A2S progression at the moment. So if anyone is a WHM or AST looking for a group or knows someone that is PM me on here or in game (Tomo Takino).

Tabris

Hi everyone, my Alex group on Ultros is looking for a new healer. We run Sundays and Thursdays from 9-11:30pm eastern and are on A2S progression at the moment. So if anyone is a WHM or AST looking for a group or knows someone that is PM me on here or in game (Tomo Takino).

If you plan to do A3S, you may want to change that. WHM AOE healing is essentially a requirement.

scy

time to use that alt

If you plan to do A3S, you may want to change that. WHM AOE healing is essentially a requirement.

Honestly, it's really not that big of a requirement assuming both healers know how to respond to the AoE damage. There were AST clears what feels like forever ago (and Ultros server first group was SCH/AST anyway).

Frumix

Suffering From Success

-

Top Bottom