• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tabris

Honestly, it's really not that big of a requirement assuming both healers know how to respond to the AoE damage. There were AST clears what feels like forever ago (and Ultros server first group was SCH/AST anyway).

When your SCH is Fallaci Isalle you can get away with it, but for the rest of us?

scy

I mean, there's plenty of AST clears now, not just that one group. Even AST/WHM has happened. It's not that bad. The AoE damage out in the fight isn't about raw throughput but about when heals land.

You mean...Healer Alt?!

I can't do Thursdays but if you need my alt some time, sure.

Sifl

I understand why people think they need to undercut people, but the lengths they go to do it are crazy. Just completely tanking an items value till it's basically worth nothing.

Mattiator

Hello :)
I just hit 50 with my miner (my first time stepping away from white Mage) now I'm somewhat stumped at what to do for gear. Any recommendations or advice would be awesome. Thanks for your time :)

Ken

If you plan to do A3S, you may want to change that. WHM AOE healing is essentially a requirement.

For what? The only big thing WHM has over AST in that fight is their 550pot Cure III which I very rarely see used for anything anyways so Medica/Helios should suffice.

creid

Hello :)
I just hit 50 with my miner (my first time stepping away from white Mage) now I'm somewhat stumped at what to do for gear. Any recommendations or advice would be awesome. Thanks for your time :)
If you own Heavensward, just keep leveling. The stuff you can buy cheap at level ~52 is about on par with stuff you had to grind for before Heavensward was out. Around level 58 you can go for blue scrip gear, and then at 60 you might be able to start gathering red scrips after some investment in gear.

Mattiator

If you own Heavensward, just keep leveling. The stuff you can buy cheap at level ~52 is about on par with stuff you had to grind for before Heavensward was out. Around level 58 you can go for blue scrip gear, and then at 60 you might be able to start gathering red scrips after some investment in gear.

Thanks :) I appreciate the input and will continue to level :)

Wazzy

Banned
So what do people think is the decent ilevel for a dragoon to do RavEx? I know everyone is usually asking I180 but I was hoping 170's would be good enough. xD

Squishy3

170 is fine. Rav Ex is more about surviving the mechanics.
Yeah, basically as long as all the DPS are alive for each DPS check you'll clear it no problem. They didn't feel nearly as strict as the ones in Bismarck. And don't get parried.

edit: holy shit a queue on ultros what is this

For what? The only big thing WHM has over AST in that fight is their 550pot Cure III which I very rarely see used for anything anyways so Medica/Helios should suffice.

I haven't touched AST in forever but I'm going to guess the real advantage is Divine Seal for those aoe heals. Also we have more aoe heal options (Assize, Asylum, Medica, Medica II, Cure III)?

Also Tomo I'm almost home - line at drive thru was super longer than normal, sorry.

iammeiam

I haven't touched AST in forever but I'm going to guess the real advantage is Divine Seal for those aoe heals. Also we have more aoe heal options (Assize, Asylum, Medica, Medica II, Cure III)?

Synastry functions as Divine Seal now, bubble is effectively OP Asylum since it does shield and regen and the regen ticks even after the person leaves the bubble. Media and Medica II are just Helios/Aspected Helios (I think Medica II's advantage is a whole 10 potency per regen tick). WHM has Cure III and Assize, neither of which are dealbreakers/necessary in A3S right now, and AST will provide utility WHM can't (Disable on Cascade, for example.)

WHM has a slight AOE healing throughput edge, but nowhere near significant enough for anybody to object to AST/SCH as a healing pair. Lack of a fairy makes AST/WHM trickier, but. And since A3S at current gearing is less about how much healing you pump out at random and more about when you're doing it, AST is fine.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Medica 2's primary advantage is its range. When you discover you can't cover the whole A1 arena with an Aspected Helios, you become a sad cat.

Or a potato. Potatoes don't have feelings though.

The PvP crowd keeps letting out earlier and earlier on the weekends these days. I miss the 15min or less ques, and I just got back into using DRG in PvP so I can't even practice :(

Synastry functions as Divine Seal now, bubble is effectively OP Asylum since it does shield and regen and the regen ticks even after the person leaves the bubble. Media and Medica II are just Helios/Aspected Helios (I think Medica II's advantage is a whole 10 potency per regen tick). WHM has Cure III and Assize, neither of which are dealbreakers/necessary in A3S right now, and AST will provide utility WHM can't (Disable on Cascade, for example.)

WHM has a slight AOE healing throughput edge, but nowhere near significant enough for anybody to object to AST/SCH as a healing pair. Lack of a fairy makes AST/WHM trickier, but. And since A3S at current gearing is less about how much healing you pump out at random and more about when you're doing it, AST is fine.

As proven time and time again, composition probably only mattered week 1/2. Agreeing with you basically, I think any combo of WHM/SCH or AST/SCH is fine for A3S. But I bet first solo heal of A3S is AST.

Edit: Felix requested this be posted: http://www.twitch.tv/gamernightlive/v/19216347

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Drama made it to the front page of r/FFXIV

tumblr_nvouy7SWcd1th9wxho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvouy7SWcd1th9wxho2_1280.jpg

IvorB

As proven time and time again, composition probably only mattered week 1/2. Agreeing with you basically, I think any combo of WHM/SCH or AST/SCH is fine for A3S. But I bet first solo heal of A3S is AST.

Edit: Felix requested this be posted: http://www.twitch.tv/gamernightlive/v/19216347

You know watching that and people saying Alexander doesn't match up to Coil when that boss is just straight up a character model from Moh Dona. Oppressor is a way cooler boss than that.

Garlador

Beat Heavensward's story over the weekend. Epic stuff.

Now the slow grind to item level 190 begins.

Though that might be put on hold... There's still so much older content I haven't worked my way through yet. Haven't even touched PvP or the Frontline stuff, and I still need to clear Haukke Manor Hard and most of the Primal Extremes (Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc.).

That's not even touching the Coils of Bahamut....

Can some confirm, can I just beat Turn 5 to unlock the rest of the quest, or do I have to beat all five of them in whatever order I can?

Kenai

Yas, this is pretty much on point. If WHm didn't have that AoE healing edge they'd have (effectively) nothing over AST, and that certainly isn't a requirement to clear. As mentioned, the very first AS3 clear on Ultros was AST/SCH.

Medica 2's primary advantage is its range. When you discover you can't cover the whole A1 arena with an Aspected Helios, you become a sad cat.

Or a potato. Potatoes don't have feelings though.

This was a big problem in my group on our early clears but honestly just switching strats a tiny big made all the difference. just make sure the DPS are all in the middle area as the Gunnery Pods are coming down and one Aspected Helios/Succor or Indomo as the damage goes out is all you need before everyone moves to take care of their adds (they need a sec to see where the adds popped and then say on mumble which ones they are targeting anyway so there's no point in not being middle).

Then after preys are done one more AoE heal is all that's needed pre jump (maybe not even that) and people are moving to the middle again for that anyway. Then I just sprint to the ending stack point as the last bomb is going out before they land and I can catch everyone with the dmg reduct and the regen from Collective..IIf I have an AoE card ready i use Celestial on it so the regen's longer as well (not that it's actually needed but eh).

AS2 I don't need to AoE heal at all and 3's arena is smaller overall so the range matters less. AST is stronk, the only real problem with it is that the AST/WHM combo doesn't work as well as it should (and frankly that's not an AST specific problem).

But keeping dumb asses alive is pretty hard and annoying.

Or the inverse, where everyone else has to be kept alive because somebody forgoes aggro management for 'muh deeps'.

On another note, now that we're only a few weeks away from 3.1 I probably should move on from farming dangos to farming tomestones again.

IvorB

Beat Heavensward's story over the weekend. Epic stuff.

Now the slow grind to item level 190 begins.

Though that might be put on hold... There's still so much older content I haven't worked my way through yet. Haven't even touched PvP or the Frontline stuff, and I still need to clear Haukke Manor Hard and most of the Primal Extremes (Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc.).

That's not even touching the Coils of Bahamut....

Can some confirm, can I just beat Turn 5 to unlock the rest of the quest, or do I have to beat all five of them in whatever order I can?

You only need to beat the final boss to unlock the next tier, so T5 and T9.

Severance

I returned after over a year of not playing, and it seems to me there's not quite as many people playing. A little surprising after an expansion release. It could be my server, Cactaur, but are subscriber numbers down a bit?

I am loving Heavensward and even catching up on ARR content. They've done a fine job with the main scenario. I'm really enjoying levelling, raid content can wait.

I returned after over a year of not playing, and it seems to me there's not quite as many people playing. A little surprising after an expansion release. It could be my server, Cactaur, but are subscriber numbers down a bit?

I am loving Heavensward and even catching up on ARR content. They've done a fine job with the main scenario. I'm really enjoying levelling, raid content can wait.

You came in during a quiet period. The last significant content update (Alex Savage) came out months ago.

Garlador

You only need to beat the final boss to unlock the next tier, so T5 and T9.

Thanks. Last question; is there any notable story or cutscenes for the other turns I'd need to check out? At this point, I'm not really in it for the gear or challenge; mostly just the story stuff.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Last question; is there any notable story or cutscenes for the other turns I'd need to check out? At this point, I'm not really in it for the gear or challenge; mostly just the story stuff.

There's a few minor glimpses in t1-4 and t6-8. The meat's in T5, T9 and T12-13 though.

ebil

T7 has a minor but relevant CS you should probably watch before doing T9. It's at the beginning before any encounter so you can even go unsycned just to check it out.

Garlador

So, think we'll be losing a few Euro Gafer's to the new data-center?
PS:
Who sez hunts can't challenge people. XD

I did one of those last week.

Let me sum up the experience: METEOR METEOR METEOR METEOR METEOR METEOR METEOR

It was pretty awesome though. You could see the fight going on from practically any point on the map.

T7 has a minor but relevant CS you should probably watch before doing T9. It's at the beginning before any encounter so you can even go unsycned just to check it out.
Actually, that's a brilliant idea. Watching the intro's unsynced so when I do get a party they won't have to wait for me. That'll work for anything I haven't done, really. Great advice.

Kenai

Some people probably have stopped playing/logging in until 3.1 yea. Last major patch came out at the beginning of summer and this is October. Some thing are slightly different but overall this is par the course.

WolvenOne

Some people probably have stopped playing/logging in until 3.1 yea. Last major patch came out at the beginning of summer and this is October. Some thing are slightly different but overall this is par the course.

It'll start ticking up again in a few weeks, once the 3.1 hype starts building. Ya know, people logging back in to catch up on X or Y so they're ready for whatever.

PS: Apparently you'll soon be able to watch cutscenes from inside your personal housing, instead of needing to go to an Inn.

AwShucks

Does anyone on gaf do the first room run of Dzemael Darkhold? I was hoping when I hit 45 and get my AF gear that I could get a party to do a that run with me for an hour or so. Never done it myself as this is my first character

EDIT: About not as many people being on, I guess it depends when you sign on. The other night, 9 PST, I had to queue for a minute or so when logging in.

aceface

Does anyone on gaf do the first room run of Dzemael Darkhold? I was hoping when I hit 45 and get my AF gear that I could get a party to do a that run with me for an hour or so. Never done it myself as this is my first character

EDIT: About not as many people being on, I guess it depends when you sign on. The other night, 9 PST, I had to queue for a minute or so when logging in.

They nerfed the exp on those first room runs so I'm not sure people do them anymore.

AwShucks

They nerfed the exp on those first room runs so I'm not sure people do them anymore.

Hm, to the point where it wouldn't be useful anymore? Doing dungeons on roulette has been mostly fine for me, but I like having that barrier between my level and the MSQ and don't mind mildly breaking the game to do so.

Valor

Hm, to the point where it wouldn't be useful anymore? Doing dungeons on roulette has been mostly fine for me, but I like having that barrier between my level and the MSQ and don't mind mildly breaking the game to do so.

Yes. They basically changed the distribution of the exp so that you get more exp from bosses rather than mobs. So it's more beneficial to do full runs instead of first room runs.

Tabris

It'll start ticking up again in a few weeks, once the 3.1 hype starts building. Ya know, people logging back in to catch up on X or Y so they're ready for whatever.

Gotta get ready for AFKing in Void Ark, and then ready for zerging bosses in Airship Ventures.

Before playing a stupid mini game for 15 minutes.

Ken

I think the math is that it's still worth it because of the doubled armory bonus before 50.

I don't know if you'll find the people to do it with though so probably best to just full run through DF.

Top Bottom