• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

AwShucks

I think the math is that it's still worth it because of the doubled armory bonus before 50.

I don't know if you'll find the people to do it with though so probably best to just full run through DF.

Yeah but this being my first class, I don't get armory bonus. Guess I'll skip it and do other things to level. Thanks all!

Sorian

Banned
Would that be considered an edgy opinion? Aren't most people disappointed?

People are going enjoy void ark for a few weeks. You're still guessing at how airship boss fights work.

For better or worse, the minion side game seems to be very expansive and has a lot going into it. Won't even be surprised when I see a bunch of websites popping up detailing the meta and what minion is best for any specific situation. So yeah, kind of edgy to say some stupid mini-game that people will forget about in 15 minutes.

WolvenOne

Honestly, I think most people will be running Void Ark for more than a few weeks. It'll lose that new content smell after a few weeks, sure, but that isn't the same thing.

Sorian

Banned
Honestly, I think most people will be running Void Ark for more than a few weeks. It'll lose that new content smell after a few weeks, sure, but that isn't the same thing.

I specifically said enjoy. I ran Alexander normal for much longer than I enjoyed it, as an example.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
People are going enjoy void ark for a few weeks. You're still guessing at how airship boss fights work.

For better or worse, the minion side game seems to be very expansive and has a lot going into it. Won't even be surprised when I see a bunch of websites popping up detailing the meta and what minion is best for any specific situation. So yeah, kind of edgy to say some stupid mini-game that people will forget about in 15 minutes.

To be fair, it's not like anyone cares about Triple Triad, so he's right to worry!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
jqgWIj5.jpg

Dat barding price. Oh man.

PowerTaxi

Banned
The holiday I've been on has given me a break from the game. I'm not in a mad rush to go back to it which sucks for my raid group but is great for my free time.

ReaperXL7

Can anyone give me some tips, or point me to a good guide for Machineist? I am only about at lvl 40 so far but I am really diggin the job a lot, I do wish that the RNG factor was cut down a bit but I feel like if I can get into a good rotation I can atleast cut that part down a bit.

There are times in which I wonder if the dev team purposefully hinder some jobs for specific reasons because they make choices with how some mechanics can make a job lag behind another in its same catagory. As an example both Machinist and Bard are ranged DPS/Support but most seem to heavily prefer BRD for raid content because their ultility seems more consistant then MCH, kind of frustrating when you enjoy the style and mechanics of a class or job and its viewed as unfavorable.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Valor

Can anyone give me some tips, or point me to a good guide for Machineist? I am only about at lvl 40 so far but I am really diggin the job a lot, I do wish that the RNG factor was cut down a bit but I feel like if I can get into a good rotation I can atleast cut that part down a bit.

There are times in which I wonder if the dev team purposefully hinder some jobs for specific reasons because they make choices with how some mechanics can make a job lag behind another in its same catagory. As an example both Machinist and Bard are ranged DPS/Support but most seem to heavily prefer BRD for raid content because their ultility seems more consistant then MCH, kind of frustrating when you enjoy the style and mechanics of a class or job and its viewed as unfavorable.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
You still have a lot of skills to get before any sort of guide will be super helpful. The RNG is completely manageable but will always be present in the class right now. Most groups prefer bards, and many bards likely prefer bard, because it's more of a known quantity than machinist is/was for this past raid cycle.

There are positives and negatives for both ranged physical classes. The only utility bard has in spades over machinist is the uptime for foe requiem. Other than that they are very similar with the edge going towards Machinist.

iammeiam

The job changes a lot at 52, when you get Gauss Barrel. It just makes more sense. MCH is one of those jobs that doesn't so much have a rotation as a priority system, and you basically live and die by your burst. The goal is to pile a ton of damage into every Wildfire, which gives you your big spikes, which compensates for relatively lower sustained. So a good opener is important. This is a good opener to aim for at 60: http://youtu.be/fFm5WWJQEso

Beyond that, priority is something like:

- Hot Shot up at all times. It's a 5% damage increase for you, so you should never attack without it.

-Lead Shot up at all times. Lead Shot is a DoT, so the full damage takes place over 30 seconds, but the amount of damage you get out of that 1 GCD over 30 seconds is the most damage you can do in a single GCD. Since HS and LS are both 30 seconds, you generally refresh HS then immediately refresh LS. Lead Shot takes something like 3 ticks to be more damage than a single Split Shot I think, so use it on anything that might live more than 10 seconds.

- Rook auto turret on single target, Bishop on two or more. If you're AOEing, use Grenado Shot if the enemies will die in under 30, Spread Shot if they don't.

- Pop Reload and Quick Reload on cooldown, unless you need to refresh HS/LS. Then refresh those before popping ammo. Keeping these on CD will cut down on the time you spend mashing 1 and praying for a proc.

- Pop buffs and oGCD skills basically on cooldown. Hold if you can combine buffs by holding for less than like 10 seconds, but don't say sit on Hawk's Eye (90 second CD) waiting for Hypercharge (120 second CD) or Reload to come back up. Just pop HE and B4B together (alongside Wildfire), then Hypercharge when it comes up on its own later. You can also hold if you know there's a DPS check coming up soon, but that's more fight-specific.

- Stance dancing (dropping and reactivating Gauss Barrel) is a thing you can look in to later; it's a minor DPS gain but only worth it in extremely specific circumstances. Once you get GB, you should never apply Lead Shot without it up.

Most of this does you no good yet because you don't have the full toolkit yet.

MCH is underplayed mostly because it's kind of a pain in the ass without more impressive returns than Bard. There's not any big shiny selling point. Our animations are weak, our Big Numbers attack in Wildfire not only doesn't stand out in combat, ACT just frequently fails to count it (I think on one A3S I got off 7 Wildfires and ACT counted 3 or 4) so our parses can get artificially lowered. Bard's big advantages are in Foe Req and Rain of Death. MCH has a stun, a slow, 5% either physical or magical damage reduction, arguably better resource regen properties (I can TP Regen during A3S or A4S phase transitions where a bard would get almost no benefit because song cast times), and the 5% physical vuln from Hypercharge. Utility isn't really a MCH weak point, but since you don't need those things, it's really easy to be really bad at MCH, and people are generally more familiar with Bard it's not really surprising bard maintains a popularity lead.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You see due to how artificially implemented Wanderer's Minuet feels compared to Gauss Barrel in my opinion Gauss Barrel was conceived first and than somebody in the dev team came up to Yoshi-P and told him why the F would anyone use the Machinist with such a movement restriction? Thus we got Wanderer's Minuet and little did they know that wouldnt be much of a good reason to use Machinist over a Bard.

Aizo

Banned
Nobody playing the Japanese version? I'm still completely unable to play.
Finally got FFXIV with Heavensward in Japan.
It took forever to download, and then got a runtime error when I tried to install...
I got the ffxivsetup.exe from the Japanese site, so when it asks for a region and language, do I need to select Japanese? That would be fine, but my computer isn't Japanese, so the installation looks like this.
j9aZ2mf.png

Kinda annoyed and lost with this process right now...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nobody playing the Japanese version? I'm still completely unable to play.
If your using Windows couldn't you just download the Japanese Language Pack to get the characters to display correctly?

Aizo

Banned
If your using Windows couldn't you just download the Japanese Language Pack to get the characters to display correctly?
I mean, I can type in Japanese, and everything online and in other programs displays properly in Japanese (such as Skyrim), but running programs meant for regions different from your computer can cause display errors like this one.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is the main issue or not, so I'm looking for confirmation from someone else that bought the Japanese version of the game.

I mean, I can type in Japanese, and everything online and in other programs displays properly in Japanese (such as Skyrim), but running programs meant for regions different from your computer can cause display errors like this one.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is the main issue or not, so I'm looking for confirmation from someone else that bought the Japanese version of the game.

Sorry if this is something you've tried already, but have you tried setting the region for non-Unicode programs to Japanese?

14emSrc.jpg

Xion_Stellar

Well you seem to be well versed in the English Language so couldn't you just use an English Installer and than change the language to Japanese in game if desired? (Disclaimer: I know you can change the voices to Japanese but I'm not sure about text) Because your account/data is not tied to the client you use to install the game with.Just as long as you have permission to play on that specific platform everything should be fine.

ReaperXL7

You still have a lot of skills to get before any sort of guide will be super helpful. The RNG is completely manageable but will always be present in the class right now. Most groups prefer bards, and many bards likely prefer bard, because it's more of a known quantity than machinist is/was for this past raid cycle.

There are positives and negatives for both ranged physical classes. The only utility bard has in spades over machinist is the uptime for foe requiem. Other than that they are very similar with the edge going towards Machinist.

Yeah, I know I have a bit of a ways to go before I have the majority of my skills, basically just asking for stuff to keep in mind as I level so I don't fall into any bad habits.

I suppose I am probably in the minority as I have found MCH more fun to play so far then I do BRD.

Thanks for the feedback, before I took a break I mained Summoner but had it as well as BRD,PLD, and WAR up to Ilvl 120 with Dragoon to 43ish so some of the mechanics aren't really that bad (managing dots/damage buffs etc) but i can definitely see somewhat of a learning curve with the stance switching from guass barrel. I just tend to be the kind of person that if I'm going to play a class I want to play it to the maximum benefit of the Party I'm in which is why I tend to like playing tank or support classes as I suck at healing.

I was watching some videos talking about rotations or priorities for MCH And it seems some people seem to include Head graze and Blank into their "rotations" which seems odd to me. Is the damage from head graze worth not having your silence available when needed, and including blank seems like a bad idea imo because if I were tanking I would get pretty pissed if someone kept knocking around the mobs in the process.

Here is an example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3bn4kb/machinist_the_minutemen/

Overall I just really like the job and would prefer not to be a bad if I am able to prevent that. I relied too much on macros for bard so I'm trying to get away from that also

WolvenOne

Just to touch on something from yesterday. Assuming the I got in with a half decent group, I still enjoyed WoD until the end. My only real complaint with it, (aside from the players,) was that the loot system drove me batty.

Took me AGES to get the full WoD tank set, and I was always one piece short of having the entire WoD Dragoon set. I rather hope that they implement a token system for VA as well, even if the tokens are something else you have to roll on, (free roll with no weekly limit, but you can still only purchase one item per week regardless of how many you have, or something.)

I'll still enjoy it even without some sort of token system, but it sure would be nice if there was someway to mitigate crappy RNG, so you don't have to run thirty times a week to get the piece you want.

Edit: Maybe attach a token to the same weekly quest they'll probably be putting in for upgrade items? So that after X number of weeks you can just pick an item? I dunno, SOMETHING. Getting the last few pieces of a set can be like pulling teeth.

iammeiam

I was watching some videos talking about rotations or priorities for MCH And it seems some people seem to include Head graze and Blank into their "rotations" which seems odd to me. Is the damage from head graze worth not having your silence available when needed, and including blank seems like a bad idea imo because if I were tanking I would get pretty pissed if someone kept knocking around the mobs in the process.

Both belong in rotation; I usually don't bother with Blank on dungeon trash because it's not worth risking the wrath of people over knockback, but bosses are immune to knockback so it's free damage. Head Graze should be kept on CD, just like Blunt Arrow on bard, unless the situation calls for it; there are exactly two fights in the game where holding the silence makes sense at this point: A3S and maybe but probably not A4S. A3S so you can silence or stun a piston (silence and stun share a CD so it's one or the other) or take third stun on a gaol if melee stuns are down. A4S for emergency leg stun if something has gone horribly wrong. The only other current content that I think has anything useful to silence/stun is Fractal trash and the tank can generally handle that.

This guide recommends holding your 90 second buffs for Hypercharge or popping them at 90 seconds and holding Hypercharge for Regen. These are both terrible ideas as a general approach ; synching buffs with Hypercharge is going to cost you buff activations on any fight of reasonable length (and a lot of fights synch up pretty well with popping every 90 seconds), it doesn't explain what you do at 180 seconds when Raging comes back, and you should never expect to Hypercharge Regen in the course of normal events. Taking the 5% damage boost away from all physical attackers just in case you maybe need a strong panic Regen in the future is just no good. There are isolated cases where you might sit on buffs (A3S Hand of Pain, especially since that comes right before an extended period where you won't pop any buffs), but that's more understanding the job vs the fight than a generic approach.

I haven't really found a good single guide for MCH; it's more reading discussions and stealing information/approaches from the handful of bigger-name MCH. It's still a relatively new job, it's had a handful of tweaks since HW launch that make 3.0 information borderline useless (the GB buff makes a huge difference), and the bursty nature of the class means a lot of it will be tailoring your approach to the fight.

Overall I just really like the job and would prefer not to be a bad if I am able to prevent that. I relied too much on macros for bard so I'm trying to get away from that also

It's a good goal to have Macros will murder you. There's one I'm slightly interested in for turret placement (it's just a macro of the place command over and over so you can hit it while casting), but in terms of actual skills much like Bard you should never macro your actual combat skills. Command queueing is a huge thing with the amount of stuff to be pushed in a really short period for MCH.

scy

As far as Bard vs Machinist goes, MCH works better for melee heavy comps. They do have the better utility and some niche situations their method of resource regeneration stands out as being notably superior. The biggest knock sgainst them right now in fight design is its harder to sync buff setup compared to Bard. Numbers wise is mostly a wash where it matters.

ReaperXL7

It's a good goal to have Macros will murder you. There's one I'm slightly interested in for turret placement (it's just a macro of the place command over and over so you can hit it while casting), but in terms of actual skills much like Bard you should never macro your actual combat skills. Command queueing is a huge thing with the amount of stuff to be pushed in a really short period for MCH.

Thanks for all the replies, its very useful especially when some of this information seems to be outdated or rough around the edges so every little bit of info is helpful. On BRD I only really ever used macros for my buffs as I am using a controller so I tried to make my bars manageable as much as I could (though oddly I didnt seem to have the same issues on SMN) so as an example I had a macro for Hawks/BFB/and Raging strikes but some stuff I have read recently seems to indicate that this isnt a good idea either, I also had one for each of my songs where when I played them it threw up a message in party chat letting people know they were up.

I will have to try and play with my bars and see how I can fit everything in so its all still accessible as needed.

Mattiator

Sorry for another question, thanks for being patient :)
For leveling a Black Mage from 53 to 60, what would you recommend I do daily if my time is somewhat limited, I'm looking for best way.
I have read differnt things all over including doing, you dailies (MSQ, Low Level, High Level, Trials) then doing fates in between or doing the daily hunts in between.
Then also doing highest dungeon then fates or daily hunts in betwen.
Would you recommend the hunts or fate grinding?
Where is good place to fate grind if so?
Thanks again :)

iammeiam

I will have to try and play with my bars and see how I can fit everything in so its all still accessible as needed.

I'm on controller too, so I can sympathize with the pain of trying to make everything accessible (especially when fights spring uses for buttons your never previously needed on you and suddenly you have more things to fit.) You can see my current setup (and infinite mistakes as I flail into an A3S clear) here; I can screenshot the layout and explain why I have things where I do tonight if it's helpful. I manage to fit everything I need into a primary bar, secondary bar, and extended bar. Key is that most of my main damage stuff is on both primary and secondary bars so I don't lose time having to flip bars back and forth for a single skill.

WolvenOne

Honestly, controller setups are bursting at the seams for some classes at this point, and I'm really not sure what to do about it. I mean, I'm already having to use a macro to swap out moves on the fly based on what stance I'm in, and that doesn't always work correctly. (especially after wiping, I generally have to swap stances around after a death to make certain everything's properly reset.)

Rather wish they'd go through the trouble of condensing a few moves for each class.

ReaperXL7

I can screenshot the layout and explain why I have things where I do tonight if it's helpful.

If you wouldn't mind when you have the time I'd be much appreciated. Usually interested in seeing what other people's bars look like on controller anyway as I have seen people come up with some interesting solutions. I have seen some people are able to swap bars with I think L2 and R2 so I might try that at some point.

Is it worth using the pet hotbar on MCH because of the turrets?

Garlador

So I unlocked Labyrinth of the Ancients yesterday....

... It's going to be harder finding a group to go through it than it was waiting around for hours for those stupid FATES to spawn.

Sifl

Hopefully something is figured out by the next expansion for controller users. Or make every skill from 60 to 70 useless so I don't have to use it.
kappa.png

Tabris

Just a reminder about controller setups, here's how you can expand quite a bit:

For those controller users that struggle with any of the following:

1) Hitting L2>R2, R2>L2 separately when using extended crossbar
2) Use sheathe/unsheathe crossbar option
3) Hitting R1 + new crossbar then double tapping R1 back

Here is what I do:

1) I set L2>R2, R2>L2 to be the same thing. I ensure I drag and drop (on PS4 use L1 + R3 to get mouse cursor to drag and drop) on to a hotbar I have displayed and use the extended menu for my most used cooldowns so I can see when they are back up without having to go to them.

2) I create 2 macros, labeled with the 1 and 2 icon. The macros are as follows:

a) 2 label - /crosshotbar change "3"
b) 1 label - /crosshotbar change "2"

Then I place them on the left dpad option on the corresponding crossbar, so whatever I'm holding at the time, I can switch between 2 different crossbar sets without having to ever let my finger go off L2 and R2.

This expands your options significantly and saves you presses as instead of having to move your fingers as follows (assuming you're holding L2 then):

Let go from L2 > Press and hold R1 > Press X > Let go from R1 > Hold L2 > Press button you want for skill/cooldown you wanted > Let go from L2 > Double tap R1 (to return) > Hold L2 (or R2) for next skill you wanted

to:

Press left d-pad > Press button you want for skill/cooldown you wanted > Press left d-pad

If the skill/cooldown is on R2 side, then insert hold R2's there.

I'm still working on my muscle memory as I did the old system for so long, that it's taking a bit of time, but this system is much faster and gives you 3.5 crossbars to work with (sheathed, unsheathed, half extended, and macro'd 3rd crossbar), and you can do 4 if you have no issues with L2>R2, R2>L2 differentiation.

Here are screenshot examples of what I was talking about - I have redundant items on macro crossbar (just for my muscle memory mistakes right now) that can be replaced with level 60 to 70 items or PVP actions.

Sheathed crossbar
XCf9XkC.jpg

Unsheathed crossbar
mWhVwG8.jpg

Macro crossbar
Jotw5ea.jpg

Extended crossbar
THFUHfS.jpg

iammeiam

If you wouldn't mind when you have the time I'd be much appreciated. Usually interested in seeing what other people's bars look like on controller anyway as I have seen people come up with some interesting solutions. I have seen some people are able to swap bars with I think L2 and R2 so I might try that at some point.

Will do after work; the L2+R2/R2+L2 bars are pretty much mandatory at this point.

Is it worth using the pet hotbar on MCH because of the turrets?

Nah, turrets aren't really traditional pets and you really don't give them commands like a pet (bonus: they also don't aggro monsters out of combat, so you can drop one on a mob's head if you want without starting a fight.) You have a summon bishop action, a summon rook action, Promotion to flip them to Regen, and Hypercharge to activate that mode. There's a desummon option but I don't even have it mapped. Promotion and Hypercharge are basically just buffs, and both turrets respond to both commands, so there isn't really anything to fill out a pet bar.

WolvenOne

Hopefully something is figured out by the next expansion for controller users. Or make every skill from 60 to 70 useless so I don't have to use it.
kappa.png

I feel like they're going to need to combine a lot of moves. Take what I'm doing with Macro's for instance, there's really no good reason why the game shouldn't handle like that natively. Seriously, I cannot use Inner Beast in Deliverance, cannot use Fell Cleave in Defiance, yet they want me to keep both around constantly, taking up two slots at any given time? I mean they're almost the same move anyway, Fell Cleave is basically just higher potency inner-beast without the tanky side-effects. Heck, even Defiance and Deliverance taking up separate slots is kinda sloppy, stances like that could easily be condensed down to a single button.

etc etc etc etc. Heck, even some of the 2.0 moves could probably stand the be combined or removed at some point.

Sifl

Probably a stupid idea, but would a sort of "alternate state" for each job work? Kind of like Diablo 3's Epiphany, Wraith of the Beserker, etc. Except when you enter this mode, your actual skills change and your normal hotbar gets swapped for a new one, it could last like 1min per job and have a 2min cooldown. Once again probably a stupid idea. but it doesn't have to be a "Super OP" mode, unlike Diablo 3.

Sorian

Banned
Probably a stupid idea, but would a sort of "alternate state" for each job work? Kind of like Diablo 3's Epiphany, Wraith of the Beserker, etc. Except when you enter this mode, your actual skills change and your normal hotbar gets swapped for a new one, it could last like 1min per job and have a 2min cooldown. Once again probably a stupid idea. but it doesn't have to be a "Super OP" mode, unlike Diablo 3.

Yoship would find that to be far too complicated and think it would confuse the fans. Remember, skill trees are too much for him.

Top Bottom