• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

It seems as if people have done the Steps so many times they've actually gotten good at it.

It's usually not that big of a deal anymore. Still annoying to tank though. "Grab this, grab that, now overpower or flash, repeat, run everywhere, repeat, repeat repeat."

>_<

It's like running a dungeon, without the downtime between pulls, or bosses with nominally interesting mechanics to break things up.

Sifl

I love it when someone is ordering people around during Steps, then they do something stupid like fire the dk before the snares and have a meltdown mouthing everyone off.

Garlador

I love it when someone is ordering people around during Steps, then they do something stupid like fire the dk before the snares and have a meltdown mouthing everyone off.

Lol. That happened to us on our first play through. We screwed up with our Tank ranting and raving in the chat log.

... Still won.

WolvenOne

Hey Red...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.325716000?vid=325721600 (Tech Specs tab)

All I can find on the graphics card for the i7 model is nVidia GeForce card with DDR5, but nothing else specific?. Anyway, you think this would be fine for FF XIV (the i7/512GB model)? It would be for if I needed to travel.

Without knowing what GPU it's using, it's impossible to say. The RAM and CPU are fine, but, with mobile GPU's if they aren't telling you what's in it exactly you need to be careful. <_<;;

jorgeton

It seems as if people have done the Steps so many times they've actually gotten good at it.

Same with Alex 4. It was pretty tough to clear via DF a few weeks ago, but I ran it last night and it was fairly painless. Higher Ilvl average helps too.

Redx508

wait for reviews or till we know what gpu it is
is cool how the nvidia gpu is built into the dock so when you remove it the intel one kicks in

You know what would alleviate some of the boredom? Not pigeonholing people into running the same two crappy dungeons as the only reasonable way to earn esoterics.

I'm at the point where I can't be bothered to take the thirty minutes (or less) a day to do the daily run because it is so played out. I tried looking for alternatives but everything else gives laughable amounts if anything at all.

If they are going to continue the two dungeon trend for EX DR they really need to spread those tokens around.

Sifl

Yea it's annoying. I try to cap as soon as possible just to get it over with.

Also is it just the ones I run into or do most blm's have super tunnel vision?

iammeiam

If you wouldn't mind when you have the time I'd be much appreciated. Usually interested in seeing what other people's bars look like on controller anyway as I have seen people come up with some interesting solutions. I have seen some people are able to swap bars with I think L2 and R2 so I might try that at some point.

As promised. It's worth noting I have my crossbars set such that flipping between primary and secondary bar and back is a single tap of R1, and I'm switching between L2 and R2 constantly, so macros wouldn't save me anything and involve finding yet more space I don't have.

Main Bar:
Nd2Ow6s.jpg

This is basically all of my normal frequently used stuff. I default to holding R2 down, so I have my main 1/2/3 buttons on R2+Face Buttons, and then Lead Shot on triangle because... I always had all my bard dots on triangle so that's just how I roll. My self-buffs are all on L2 and face buttons, where they're easy to get to while moving (my opener involves mashing a bunch of them as I run in on pull.) Hot Shot is kind of a self-buff so it's there too. Reload, Quick Reload, and both of the GB oGCD damage buttons on L2 and d-pad. Heartbreak, Reassemble, Wildfire, and Head Graze on R2+Dpad because I wanted them on the primary bar and they don't really fit with the other things. Head Graze is here and Blank is not, because I'll always use Head Graze but only use Blank in melee range. I can get through pretty much any non-Savage fight with just this and my extended bars. If I were starting over I'd probably move L2+Dpad to R2+Dpad and vice-versa, but I'm used to this now.

Secondary Bar:
L2 + DPad, R2+Face buttons are a direct copy of the primary bar. R2+Dpad is almost the same, but with Potion swapped in for Heartbreak and Blank in the place of Head Graze. L2+Face Buttons is all my 'stuff I only use in specific circumstances' stuff; Rend Mind and Dismantle (which I continue to believe will be merged into a single skill and button), Leg Graze, and Suppressive Fire. Up until A3S, I actually had Hot Shot in its spot on this bar too, but had to make room for Stun and Slow.

The key for me with the secondary bar is I can swap to it and stay here for quite a while--I don't have to swap back to primary bar until I want either Hot Shot or Head Graze, so there's no frantic bar-swap for an oGCD and swap back. With MCH after getting Gauss Barrel, you have cast times fairly frequently and so it's basically free time to bar swap since you can't do anything else at the time. If I fail to bar swap for whatever reason, unless Hot Shot is falling off, I just keep doing what I'm doing and swap on the next GCD. The goal is to never be stuck in a situation where you're pushing out your GCD getting to the right button.

Extended Crossbar (L2+R2/R2+L2):

So I'm lazy and don't want to have to differentiate in press order most of the time. The only difference here is the AOE, because I like being able to choose between the slightly stronger AOE that uses more TP and the slightly weaker AOE that uses less TP. Otherwise the layout is identical. This is just miscellaneous stuff that I want access to easily and immediately, but won't spend a ton of time switching between options here. Hypercharge I hit once every two minutes, Rapid Fire every 90 seconds.

There are a few things I absolutely never use (Turret Recall, the bind) that aren't mapped. If I needed them for whatever reason, I could either sub them in to my situational L2+Dpad on the secondary bar, or replace some of the longer-CD stuff (Reassemble, Ricocchet) on said secondary bar.

I also have a bar to watch CDs I can't see on my primary bar, but there's not a ton there:

Hypercharge is relegated to extended and Pot and Rend Mind are on my secondary bar, so this is so I can watch them. Disassemble shares a CD with Rend Mind, so it doesn't need to be watched separately. Technically I could add Rapid Fire and Blank here, but Blank gets popped the GCD after Head Graze if I'm in melee range, and Rapid Fire is up whenever Hawk's Eye/Wildfire are, so I don't watch them separately.

There's a lot of room to move stuff around in a way that makes more sense for you, but it's pretty easy to fit everything you need frequently for MCH into a main bar and extended, and pretty much everything you need ever onto a secondary that can be swapped to when convenient. I have LB relegated to a bar that doesn't come up in normal rotation, because MCH LB is pretty terrible and will basically never be used in the course of normal event (it does less damage per target than any other LB.) If I need it I just manually flip to the bar since LB animation lock is forever so I'm not going to be going all-in on oGCD mashing at that point.

WolvenOne

On the subject of capping Esoterics, this week I'm cheating a bit, my static decided to run A1S and A2S a second time tonight, to get somebody thier pages. Alas, I know that isn't an option for a lot of people.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
guys I need help. I think I'm burned out.

After Heavensward release went straight to 60 in 3 days with my favourite class since 1.0 the brd. did all the other stuff except for Alex Savage because the only static group in my FC is full.

If I even think about lvl another class I get reeeeaaally repulsive feelings, but I just payed for 6 more months of game time.

I don't want to level, I just wanted something chill and not straight time intensive to do that eases me back into the game.

Some ideas?

Ken

After Heavensward release went straight to 60 in 3 days with my favourite class since 1.0 the brd. did all the other stuff except for Alex Savage because the only static group in my FC is full.

If I even think about lvl another class I get reeeeaaally repulsive feelings, but I just payed for 6 more months of game time.

I don't want to level, I just wanted something chill and not straight time intensive to do that eases me back into the game.

Some ideas?

Fishing?

Idk if that counts as leveling but catching fish while chatting in FC/LS is a nice way to pass the time. Could even find a senpai to fish with you.

=u=

Some ideas?

Not really much to go on here, but if you care about the game world, the postmoogle quests are quite charming and a relaxing way to spend a little time. Otherwise, all I can really suggest is to not force yourself to play if you don't want to.

Omni

Got my Bard to 60! Fun stuff. That last job quest was such a joke though... haha.

Anyway. Warden's Penis Paean. Is there actually any situation where this should be used? I'm struggling to think of any. If a tank is about to be pacified I suppose but that's stupidly easy enough dealt with by a healer. Seems kinda pointless especially since it interrupts your dps to cast. Maybe if it didn't only last 30 seconds but eh

Also I've noticed a trend of level 58+ Bards in my dungeons who get REALLY angry when I ask why they're not using WM and neglecting some of of most potent attacks. I mean I'm hardly an expert but... they could at least explain why.

EriksBlue

Banned
Play another game. Just because you pay for a sub doesn't mean you have to play everyday.

Man I haven't even done Expert for the past 3 weeks since I don't raid anymore, I think I've only logged in once in these past 3 weeks as well. Been "working" on my backlog of games maybe working on a LP...and school. >_>

Note: Sorry to say Galen I no longer live the ninja life had to switch back to whm. You would know this if you didn't leave our Ls. :p

MechaX

Man I haven't even done Expert for the past 3 weeks since I don't raid anymore, I think I've only logged in once in these past 3 weeks as well. Been "working" on my backlog of games maybe working on a LP...and school. >_>

Note: Sorry to say Galen I no longer live the ninja life had to switch back to whm. You would know this if you didn't leave our Ls. :p

RIP Zan

Also, I resubbed after a month, thought about getting back into things, but literally just said "... nah, I'll go back to taking a break" when I considered that I may possibly have to play Neverreap again.

Valor

Don't blame me, blame Yoship for only allowing me 8 linkshells. I'm just clearly way too popular. It's a rough life.

Edit: That double Lol Drg thing is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. That's some insight as to how well my life is going.

Jayhawk

Don't blame me, blame Yoship for only allowing me 8 linkshells. I'm just clearly way too popular. It's a rough life.

Edit: That double Lol Drg thing is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. That's some insight as to how well my life is going.

It's not your fault, Galen. There is always next season for the Yankees. Maybe Teixeira won't be injured when it counts!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Unless somebody here can tell me an actual useful use for it that I'm not aware of than the move is completely useless in my opinion and I hardly use it because a healer with a Esuna like spell negates any use for it.So it sits collecting dust in my sub action bar along with Shadowbind and Wide Volley.

Maybe if it had no timer and could actually prevent a status effect that Esuna can't cure (Such as Doom) than it would have an actual use to me.

Xux

I feel like there needs to be some sort of PSA to stop selling shit in stacks of 99.
It'd be neat if the Beginner's Hall taught some of the finer points of using the Market Board like how to see how much things are selling for, the price history, how to sell things for more than what NPCs will give you, and how to sell things in convenient quantities like small multiples of what are needed for common crafts.

Omni

Unless somebody here can tell me an actual useful use for it that I'm not aware of than the move is completely useless in my opinion and I hardly use it because a healer with a Esuna like spell negates any use for it.So it sits collecting dust in my sub action bar along with Shadowbind and Wide Volley.

Maybe if it had no timer and could actually prevent a status effect that Esuna can't cure (Such as Doom) than it would have an actual use to me.

You don't like Wide Volley? Though now that I think about it, I don't think I've used it in dungeons or anything because of RoD and the close range one. Looks cool though. I like when the character models do flips xD

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You don't like Wide Volley? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've used it in dungeons or anything because of RoD and the close range one. Looks cool though. I like when the character models do flips xD
I used to use it but Quick Nock has always been the most optimal one to use (as long as you can position yourself correctly) for crowd control and the fact that they made Rain of Death an oGCD Skill made Wide Volley even more useless/redundant.

Sifl

It'd be neat if the Beginner's Hall taught some of the finer points of using the Market Board like how to see how much things are selling for, the price history, how to sell things for more than what NPCs will give you, and how to sell things in convenient quantities like small multiples of what are needed for common crafts.
Yep, whenever I gather I usually sell my things in stacks of 3-10, depending on the price per 1. Then some smartass comes in and goes "I'm gonna undercut him by like 1 Gil with my 99 stack, my plan can't fail!".

Edit: and since I started leveling my crafting classes, I sell leftover materials in stacks enough for 1 craft of leve items.

Grisby

At the last quest and need a bit of XP to hit 60 so I can do it. Think I'm going to take a break until the Halloween event starts and then finish the expansion then.

There was a nice lead up, and the cutscene going into the very last area was pretty cool. Also, I got a (mount spoiler)
dragon mount
, so I'm all good.
No word yet but I'd expect around 10/20.
That's Life Is Strange finale day.

Top Bottom