• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

The new english VAs are great. Alphinaud being the most prominent, he doesn't sound half as douchey as he used to.
I enjoyed Alphinaud as a douche. He was cocky and sarcastic, and it ended up biting him in the ass. Current Alphinaud sounds way too upbeat and shounen hero-esque. He shouldn't sound like he does considering everything he went through in 2.55

I'm okay with many of the other changes, since they at least tried to imitate the old voices, but Alphinaud is a massive departure and feels extremely off

Tabris

So in general I love what they did in HW, only complaints:

- Too many loose threads. I mean it's 3.0 so expected but they did a poor job explaining what the reason for the Pope to even go to the Allagan facility was using until the Bis EX unlock quest. Could have had a bit more exposition to that scene.

- Slightly too many level 59 side quests.

- The Churning Mist mog side quests were incredibly boring, the rest were pretty fun.

That final boss fight is aces though. Still need to do Bis EX and Rav EX.

Stuart444

Trying to avoid most spoilers for stuff I've not seen but I'm very curious about this.

Do we see Alisaie at all in the main story? If not, is she mentioned at all?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Trying to avoid most spoilers for stuff I've not seen but I'm very curious about this.

Do we see Alisaie at all in the main story? If not, is she mentioned at all?

Lisa isn't in the story, neither are a few other characters
There's a whole bunch of loose threads and the story is focused squarely on the matter at hand, ignoring a number of older plotlines.

chrono01

*Makoto is questing through Dravania*

"Wha!? What's that!? The Gnath are attempting to
resurrect their God, unleashing a new Primal unto this land
!? I must stop this!"

*Makoto opens up his map and sees 5+ side-quests scattered all over*

"...But not before I work with this fledgling hunter, collect pebbles from a crater, and gather and deliver various forms of meat and/or fruit."

Tabris

I forgot my #1 complaint with the HW story (again nitpicking because it was generally really good):

Having Sultana be alive. Cheapens the 2.55 story

WolvenOne

I enjoyed Alphinaud as a douche. He was cocky and sarcastic, and it ended up biting him in the ass. Current Alphinaud sounds way too upbeat and shounen hero-esque. He shouldn't sound like he does considering everything he went through in 2.55

I'm okay with many of the other changes, since they at least tried to imitate the old voices, but Alphinaud is a massive departure and feels extremely off

Are you really saying that you wanted Alph to be all emo during this storyline!? He had his emo scenes, he got over it thank goodness. :p

Wilsongt

They could just make up new ones again? They did a pretty good job on the Gnath/Vanu Vanu.

Then of course there are other sources of primals. 5/10 of the 2.0 primals didn't come from beast men tribes.
Mog, Shiva, Odin, Phoenix, and Bahamut

The ones dealt with in the main story, with the exception of one, came from Beastmen, though.

We still have Mamool Ja, Quirin, Gigas, and Giants...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Re: primals
King Thordan you fight at the end is effectively a primal.
Warring Triad, too, are a kind of primals, and we haven't touched upon them in the story AT ALL - they're gonna be the material for future exploration, as mentioned in Bismarck/Ravana EX quests.

Aselith

Hopefully this maintenance fixes the fucked up DX11 alt tabbing. I need to read the internet!

I have all the jobs leveled to 50, I can't decide what to bring to 60 first.

Any suggestions?

Im thinking between PLD, WAR, SMN, DRG.

Summoner is a fun class

Arsenic

Oh hell yea it does, nothing apart from raids or ex primals is though or hard to take down.

There is no sense of danger in the open world, everything hits like a wett noodle and even the all mighty hunt mobs are a joke.

Thats what bothers me the most and ofc all the silly fetch quests XD

Even primals and certain raids are easy, since they are all sequenced and phased. Just practice over and over and eventually you will get it.

Sad this is, the open world NMs are randomly sequence. A lot of them have really cool move sets, but we get to see none of it because they mostly have 4mil~ HP and thats nothing for a crowd of 200+.

A level 60 being taken down so easy by toons below 60 is pathetic. Not even Odin is that easy.

Tabris

Is the PS3/4 version getting any new trophies do you know?

Nope.

SMN is best. Mobs in areas hit like trucks and Titan Egi is a godsend.

I never had an issue with any mobs as PLD. Just ensure you have your Chocobo out as it gets a huge boost at level 51 (My choco has 10k HP at 60) and will speed up killing, but you won't have an issue with PLD or WAR.

With new WAR stuff, you can do 4-5k Fell Cleaves. So probably WAR.

Are you really saying that you wanted Alph to be all emo during this storyline!? He had his emo scenes, he got over it thank goodness. :p

He wouldn't need to be emo, just less gung ho and more cautious and reserved. It feels unrealistic for him to be a okay again so quickly. Especially after being gung ho is what made the mess in the first place

Ken

I have all the jobs leveled to 50, I can't decide what to bring to 60 first.

Any suggestions?

Im thinking between PLD, WAR, SMN, DRG.

PLD is a lot more fun now that you have to keep up Goring Blade, Rage of Halone's Strength Down, and sneak in Royal Authorities in between. Besides that they play largely the same with a few more buttons to occasionally press.

WAR got dedicated DPS stuff now but I hear they play not too differently too.

SMN and DRG sound like they changed the most.

WolvenOne

Exactly. Onward and upward in Heavensward. No time to for him to be all in his feelings and so on.

It's not even that. I wouldn't have an issue with more scenes dealing with Alph's feelings of disappointment and crushing betrayal, except that in order to make scenes like that relevant the plot would have to revolve heavily around the events in Uldah. Frankly, yeah they could've made an entire expansion revolving around that, but they decided to focus more on the storylines that delve into the lore of the world and that's a legit call. If Alph had started bringing up those emotions during story-scenes that were entirely unrelated, then he would've just come across as a self absorbed drama queen. He'd just be sitting there sulking in the background while everyone else is working through all the happenings in Ishgard.

Aaaaanyhow, haven't really played with the Vanu Vanu in detail yet, I suspect I'm about to hit that particular storyline. However, on the subject of Beatman Tribes. For the next set of dailies we'll probably see, Gnath, Vanu Vanu, and
Sky Moogles.

As for who else could in theory summon primals. Qiqirn, Mamool Ja, the various Giant Tribes, men, an as of yet undiscovered tribe, or it's possible that a single beast race could in theory summon multiple primals. There are plenty of people that could summon a primal. I am more interested in what primals they'll go with. Seeing as they've about ran out of Final Fantasy mainstay summons.

PLD is a lot more fun now that you have to keep up Goring Blade, Rage of Halone's Strength Down, and sneak in Royal Authorities in between. Besides that they play largely the same with a few more buttons to occasionally press.

WAR got dedicated DPS stuff now but I hear they play not too differently too.

SMN and DRG sound like they changed the most.

I'm honestly a bit curious to experience how PLD has changed, but leveling to 60 is still pretty low on my priority list. War really doesn't seem to play all that differently, especially if they're actively tanking. They've got a couple new CD's but otherwise our main tank toolset is almost identical to what it was in 2.X. The fact that Dragoon has changed so much honestly has me a bit apprehensive, but I guess if I don't like it I can always try another class. Was planning on leveling Machinist anyway, because FFT nostalgia.

PS: Fell Cleave is flipping amazing! :D

PPS: Raw Intuition without Awareness is probably the most hardcore button you could possibly press during large trash pulls. XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
EDIT: DRG hasn't changed that much, it actually became generally easier since there's no rotating combos anymore, every Heavy Trust is followed by the same sequence of GCDs, every single time. The only thing that requires some mastery and certain amounts of skill speed is the Blood debuff, but even then, that's not remotely close to getting BRDed.

I wish I could be excited for release of Heavensward in a matter of hours, but unfortunately, I can't. Only have 3-4 days left on my sub and I still have not received an email from Square Online Store or Square Support on when my physical CE will be shipped. I don't know what I did to deserve to have such a complete fuck-up happen to me, but I absolutely don't appreciate the store taking my money if they are unable to deliver my product.

Kanashimi

He wouldn't need to be emo, just less gung ho and more cautious and reserved. It feels unrealistic for him to be a okay again so quickly. Especially after being gung ho is what made the mess in the first place

Yeah, it'd be nice to see him question himself just a little, but he's back to where he was before 2.55 happened.

Tabris

By the way, I think it's safe to say this was the best MMO expansion launch I've seen.

I personally have had 0 issues and most people I hear just had maybe some login issues for 15 minutes and a couple people mentioned an instance crashing on them.

Most MMO expansion launches come with constant disconnects.

Stuart444

By the way, I think it's safe to say this was the best MMO expansion launch I've seen.

I personally have had 0 issues and most people I hear just had maybe some login issues for 15 minutes and a couple people mentioned an instance crashing on them.

Most MMO expansion launches come with constant disconnects.

Indeed, it was surprisingly good. One of the best launches yet imo.

Teknoman

Hopefully they manage to get everyones copies to them on time later today.

On the subject of primals they can still use:

Asura
Valigarmanda
Hades
Anima
Madeen

and everyone from the Ivalice universe since Zodiark is the real big bad guy in the shadows already...or at least seems that way.

chrono01

It's not really an issue if not unless you ordered the CE. Early Access runs until Saturday.
Why is it only an issue if you ordered the CE? Aren't all Early Access codes valid until Saturday?

Regardless, I should receive my CE either today or tomorrow, hopefully the former.

Edit: Unless you're referring to shipping times, in which case everyone should have their copies by Saturday, unless you opted for extreme slow shipping.

Semper88

Best WAR skill ever!

Equilibrium

Restores own HP when used with Defiance. Cure Potency: 1200.

Restores 200 TP when used with Deliverance.

We can finally get some TP back with a cd of 60 seconds :D

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'll get the game by today. I have one question for people that played it already: do they still recycle music from ARR or everything I will listen to is new?

Hasney

Why is it only an issue if you ordered the CE? Aren't all Early Access codes valid until Saturday?

Regardless, I should receive my CE either today or tomorrow, hopefully the former.

Edit: Unless you're referring to shipping times, in which case everyone should have their copies by Saturday, unless you opted for extreme slow shipping.

Because if you ordered the CE, then it comes with the bonuses and you'll want them today! If you've just got a regular copy, then yeah, it doesn't need to come today. We should still get our in-game pre-order goodies today as well.

I'll get the game by today. I have one question for people that played it already: do they still recycle music from ARR or everything I will listen to is new?

No zone music has repeats from ARR, but there has been some 1.0 music brought back.

EDIT: I never played 1.0, but that's what chat has been saying.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

ARR part of the game hasn't gone anywhere but in the new areas and quests 99% of the soundtrack is new.

Reveirg

Area music is all new. Cutscene and battle music are mostly new with sone reused stuff.

Soken is getting better and better every update it seems. The HW music is simply amazing, worthy of a mainline FF.

Teknoman

It's not really an issue if not unless you ordered the CE. Early Access runs until Saturday.

Oh, even better then!

Also i'm glad Soken got smart and looped every new HW overworld theme.

I forget whether I was talking to Remiel or Renault, but the battle theme is actually stuck in my head now, so thanks for that lol.

chrono01

Because if you ordered the CE, then it comes with the bonuses and you'll want them today! If you've just got a regular copy, then yeah, it doesn't need to come today. We should still get our in-game pre-order goodies today as well.
Oh, gotcha.

If my copy doesn't arrive today, I can live without the bonus items for a day or two. As long as I still have access to the game [to continue playing], that's all that matters to me right now. >:)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I forgot my #1 complaint with the HW story (again nitpicking because it was generally really good):

Having Sultana be alive. Cheapens the 2.55 story

I agree. That was a really lame direction to take the story. When I found out I was like "Oh god dammit really?"

I agree. That was a really lame direction to take the story. When I found out I was like "Oh god dammit really?"
I rolled my eyes at this too, but it did lead to
the heartfelt scene where Raubahn wakes her up. I teared up a bit. You could tell just how happy it was that she was alive.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Area music is all new. Cutscene and battle music are mostly new with sone reused stuff.

Soken is getting better and better every update it seems. The HW music is simply amazing, worthy of a mainline FF.

ARR part of the game hasn't gone anywhere but in the new areas and quests 99% of the soundtrack is new.

No zone music has repeats from ARR, but there has been some 1.0 music brought back.

EDIT: I never played 1.0, but that's what chat has been saying.

Thanks, I asked because I'm quite tired of the old music, especially because imho the music direction – and with that I mean the actual music placement and use – in the base game has been mostly terrible and random (plus I didn't like the mix of FFXIV ost with ARR). Being back to zero here I think I'll be enjoying it way more. Good to hear the re-used tracks are just few.

That said, I have one more question: is there any significant graphical improvement for PS4 players?

Hasney

That said, I have one more question: is there any significant graphical improvement for PS4 players?

Nah. Some of the new areas look really nice, but that's art direction more than any real improvement and some of the time of day effects too. Looks pretty much the same in general.

Top Bottom