• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

the other thing that compounds on that is having ppl nowhere near the servers and getting latency issues. space internet kills raids before they even start and pretty frustrating as well

scy

Do you really want to recruit an ex-dragonthing to laladom? Make better choices!

D:

tbh, i'd be in a state of delirium if he'd just show up.

we'll make him lala after he's invested

D: D: D:

Gee, I wonder if fights that don't allow one large misstep over 10+ minutes are frustrating to do repeatedly.

It really depends on what you mean by misstep. Screwing up a mechanic that can be planned for should honestly kind of mean the fight is over. Random deaths over the course of a fight due to something going wrong can and do happen and don't actually mean the end of the world.

Valor

It makes me wonder if it's possible to field some kind of A3S help nights or just practice nights at least. I can't heal it on the alt I don't think (not without some actual A1/A2 drops probably? Not sure, actually) but I do at least have a geared caster and tank. For people that just want more time in the fight or see other strategies or just because it's still kind of fun to them.

Coil allowed for plug-and-play strategies fairly well so a lot of the helping just was about blowing through it. Current Alex Savage, though, is really more about the time in there and the differing perspectives could help.
I'm not interested in carrying people through A3S. Not now, not anytime soon. I still enjoy it myself, but it's such a process to learn at this point that any help night type thing is just gonna blow up in your face when anyone who isn't up to that fight tries to get in there. The difficulty spike is real.
I want to marry Y'shtola!

Also FFXI expansions have great waifus.
Though I can't deny that new outfit, I still think Yda is the best.

iammeiam

I'm not interested in carrying people through A3S. Not now, not anytime soon. I still enjoy it myself, but it's such a process to learn at this point that any help night type thing is just gonna blow up in your face when anyone who isn't up to that fight tries to get in there. The difficulty spike is real.

None of my business but... You're confusing 'help' with 'carry'. Tomo help nights vs Felix help nights, essentially. The entire point of a help night would, I'd think, be explaining how things work, how the mechanics interact, the pros and cons of the different strategies, identifying WHY wipes are happening, things like that. Not shortcutting people to loot phase, but helping people actually understand what's happening and maybe getting them more self-sufficient.

You have groups in A3S that don't understand what the healing down debuff actually does and what it impacts, or why LB3 being held for the hand is as common as it is, or why people are struggling on this or that mechanic. Actually being able to get various configurations of people in there and trade knowledge and try new things out and see the results would be useful, even if it didn't lead to loot phase.

WolvenOne

I should note, that I really need to emphasize that I'm still having fun with the game. I'm just spending my time differently than I expected.

I'm finally finishing the Sylph and Sahagin dailies. Gotta say, they're a lot more enjoyable when you aren't pulling aggro on every little mob every other step. Hopefully this is a good sign when it comes to the dailies for the new tribes, cause there really aren't many spots in the new zones where enemy density is like the Sylph Lands, or the other beastmen dailie areas.

Good way to burn time while you're waiting for queues to pop.

scy

This isn't about getting random people their clears. It's about getting the pieces of the various groups that are actively trying A3S and seeing what can be done to help getting people to understand how the fight operates and to just get more time in the fight for them. There's a lot of mechanics this can't help with all that much (e.g., add phase stuns are fairly group dependent) but at least things like Drainage positioning at spawn to make the pick-up easiest while having bodies where they need to be or knowing target priority so there's no dogpile on a lone Gear or a full Fire IV blown on a 3% target.

Sorian

Banned
This isn't about getting random people their clears. It's about getting the pieces of the various groups that are actively trying A3S and seeing what can be done to help getting people to understand how the fight operates and to just get more time in the fight for them. There's a lot of mechanics this can't help with all that much (e.g., add phase stuns are fairly group dependent) but at least things like Drainage positioning at spawn to make the pick-up easiest while having bodies where they need to be or knowing target priority so there's no dogpile on a lone Gear or a full Fire IV blown on a 3% target.

Been practicing this issue lately.

Redx508

9pk9iFQ.png

AwShucks

Why are you being so condescending? I'm a software developer, with the cookie cutter quest system they have in place there's very little room for error. Being vague with "Bugs happen" isn't a sufficient rebuttal to how somehow FFXIV's quest system, borrowed from dozens of preceding MMO's, is somehow more involved.

If you were really a software developer you'd actually know how easily bugs can happen even in simplified systems...

Sorian

Banned
I just saw Qhon's post in another thread and it made me remember something. I always look forward to the Halloween event because it has an overarching storyline going on. Wonder what the mysterious evil entity will cook up this year.

WolvenOne

I've generally enjoyed the Halloween events, and this one gives away a number of items I'm interested in.

Can't wait to get my pumpkin toilet!

Alric

I've generally enjoyed the Halloween events, and this one gives away a number of items I'm interested in.

Can't wait to get my pumpkin toilet!

When and where can I do the halloween stuff? Just started playing about 2 weeks ago and haven't noticed any Halloween quest.

Sorian

Banned
Ok, cool. I saw some people with that Chocobo armor and it is possibly the cutest thing holding that little lamp.

Unfortunately, that will not be available from the event. That was obtainable for free from a prior Halloween event and now can only be bought from the cash shop. This year's event seems to feature some gear, furniture, and a flying broom mount.

Got Monk from 43-48 yesterday. Hopefully will hit 50 later tonight. I really like how Monk animations look and feel.

I also like how there are no mechanics that are broken by lag like with Ninja mudras.

OGCDs trip up a bit for me sometimes but I guess that's just a general lag thing.

I can fit two oGCDs without cutting off the next GCD. That's the same as other classes though. It's just mudras that are a major issue for me on Ninja.

Don't know if I can get my Monk ready in time for Voidiark but I'll try.

Ken

I can fit two oGCDs without cutting off the next GCD. That's the same as other classes though. It's just mudras that are a major issue for me on Ninja.

Don't know if I can get my Monk ready in time for Voidiark but I'll try.

Double oGCDs push out my GCDs so clearly we have different lag.

Double oGCDs push out my GCDs so clearly we have different lag.

I remember reading somewhere that all of the NA servers are located in Canada. That probably has something to do with it if you're in the US I suppose.

Is it better to push out two OGCDs per GCD if you can or is it fine to just do one?

Sifl

I play Drg and Mnk, for some reason I can use 2 oGCD's with Drg just fine, but not with Mnk. I can use BL+B4B, PS+BoD, IR+B4B with Drg, but with Mnk there's a huge delay. Don't know why though.

Ken

I remember reading somewhere that all of the NA servers are located in Canada. That probably has something to do with it if you're in the US I suppose.

Is it better to push out two OGCDs per GCD if you can or is it fine to just do one?

Some openers are designed with double oGCDs in mind, like DRG. MNK opener doesn't have double oGCDs afaik.

iammeiam

I play Drg and Mnk, for some reason I can use 2 oGCD's with Drg just fine, but not with Mnk. I can use BL+B4B, PS+BoD, IR+B4B with Drg, but with Mnk there's a huge delay. Don't know why though.

Monks and Greased Lightning means you have a much faster GCD and so less time between GCDs to fire off oGCDs.

Sakura

Just have a couple questions for playing on PSN.
Can you only play on the PS account that the game is registered to?
ie can I buy the game on the NA PS store, link it and what not, and play with it on my main PSN account?
Also, can you buy game time with your PSN wallet?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just have a couple questions for playing on PSN.
Can you only play on the PS account that the game is registered to?
ie can I buy the game on the NA PS store, link it and what not, and play with it on my main PSN account?
Also, can you buy game time with your PSN wallet?
Yes, the registration code is tied to the account that made the purchase. If you boot it with any other account you'll get an error that you haven't purchased the game. Once you boot it with the PSN account that purchased the game you'll be asked to make or login to your Square Enix account so that SE can link both accounts together. This will prevent you from being able to log into the SE account using any other PSN account and vice versa.

No.

No, all transactions are handled by Square on their website. They take all major credit cards, Crysta (which you can purchase using PayPal), game time cards sold in retail stores/websites, and Steam Wallet funds (must tie the Steam version of the game to your account to be able to use this payment option).

Sakura

OK thanks.
I think I will buy a new copy of the game for my JP PSN and start from scratch then.
edit: I have to say. This install process on the PS4 is terrible. Download the 13GB or whatever it is off of the PSN store. Then launch the launcher and it spends like an hour or so 'preparing data', and now that that has finished it wants to download another 12GB...

Ayumi

It's been about 3 months since I played because I've been busy with real life stuff. Just bought my first sub (I've only used the 30 free days so far), but the game seems really dead right now. Is it just the time zones? Because this thread doesn't seem any dead at all. :v

Ken

It's been about 3 months since I played because I've been busy with real life stuff. Just bought my first sub (I've only used the 30 free days so far), but the game seems really dead right now. Is it just the time zones? Because this thread doesn't seem any dead at all. :v

Yes. You're JP time iirc right?

Valor

You have groups in A3S that don't understand what the healing down debuff actually does and what it impacts, or why LB3 being held for the hand is as common as it is, or why people are struggling on this or that mechanic. Actually being able to get various configurations of people in there and trade knowledge and try new things out and see the results would be useful, even if it didn't lead to loot phase.
<elitism> These groups don't belong in A3S </elitism>
I can see how trading knowledge and stuff could help, but it's something the whole group needs to understand, not just 4 or 6 of them. I guess I'm more of a proponent of the mindset that says if you want to be raiding you should be doing your homework. Maybe I closed my elitism tag too early...

On the other hand, going into that fight with the express intent of teaching and not clearing does sound much less stressful.

This isn't about getting random people their clears.
I think a bit of what I replied above applies to what you said too, I just wanted you to know I saw this and understood what you were saying. I don't really disagree with any of it. I guess I don't feel strongly enough about it to be 100% on board as well.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Could anyone who has played Monk and Ninja at the level cap give me some insight into how they play at that level? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two right now. Monk seems like the lower level play might be a better representation of higher level play compared to Ninja at the same level due to the fact that they actually give you more of a rotation to play with. Hard to tell with Ninja I guess? Seems less about positionals and more about combos + dot management, along with Mudra stuff. Also wondering if Mudra lag is as bad as people make it out to be, because leveling something and then having to fight latency to play the job properly sounds like pain in the butt.

lewisgone

So is there gonna be a GAF exodus when the EU servers come on? I'll hop on the bandwagon if so because it would be nice to play on a server that isn't dead when I play in the afternoon, and only really active when I play late at night.

Could anyone who has played Monk and Ninja at the level cap give me some insight into how they play at that level? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two right now. Monk seems like the lower level play might be a better representation of higher level play compared to Ninja at the same level due to the fact that they actually give you more of a rotation to play with. Hard to tell with Ninja I guess? Seems less about positionals and more about combos + dot management, along with Mudra stuff. Also wondering if Mudra lag is as bad as people make it out to be, because leveling something and then having to fight latency to play the job properly sounds like pain in the butt.

Having played both at 50+ I'm enjoying Monk more simply because I don't have to deal with the mudra lag. It feels really sluggish and the timing changes every time I use it.

With Monk I really like how the abilities flow together. There are also some things you need to keep track of like Twin Snakes buff, Dragon kick debuff, Touch of Death DoT, Demolish DoT, also most of your abilities are positional so you're always keeping in mind what position you're in before you use your next attack since optimal play requires that you hit all the positionals correctly.

Can't wait till I get the air Kamehameha ability.

Top Bottom