• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I was checking out the Before the Fall soundtrack app on PS4 earlier. It's pretty nice - it shows a slideshow of stills from the game relevant for each song. (You can get the app from the Japanese PSN store and then use it with a non-Japanese PSN account).

Snaps:
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfargqp8.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfafeocf.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfah6prk.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfak0rad.png

(Changed to URLs since I noticed each of these was over 1 MB.)

aceface

I was checking out the Before the Fall soundtrack app on PS4 earlier. It's pretty nice - it shows a slideshow of stills from the game relevant for each song. (You can get the app from the Japanese PSN store and then use it with a non-Japanese PSN account).

Snaps:
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfargqp8.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfafeocf.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfah6prk.png
http://abload.de/img/beforethefall_finalfak0rad.png

(Changed to URLs since I noticed each of these was over 1 MB.)

I'm confused as to what this is...is it the same stuff that shows when you put the Blu-ray in your PS4 and play the songs on there? Does the app come with the songs for people who don't have the Blu-ray?

Ken

Could anyone who has played Monk and Ninja at the level cap give me some insight into how they play at that level? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two right now. Monk seems like the lower level play might be a better representation of higher level play compared to Ninja at the same level due to the fact that they actually give you more of a rotation to play with. Hard to tell with Ninja I guess? Seems less about positionals and more about combos + dot management, along with Mudra stuff. Also wondering if Mudra lag is as bad as people make it out to be, because leveling something and then having to fight latency to play the job properly sounds like pain in the butt.

Doesn't take too long to level NIN to when you get your 3 mudras so might as well see for yourself. 3.1 has the supposed mudra change so that's a thing to consider.

Also I've heard the Eso NIN chest gives you bigger boobs so there's that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Doesn't take too long to level NIN to when you get your 3 mudras so might as well see for yourself. 3.1 has the supposed mudra change so that's a thing to consider.

Also I've heard the Eso NIN chest gives you bigger boobs so there's that.

We Blade & Soul now

Sifl

Could anyone who has played Monk and Ninja at the level cap give me some insight into how they play at that level? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two right now. Monk seems like the lower level play might be a better representation of higher level play compared to Ninja at the same level due to the fact that they actually give you more of a rotation to play with. Hard to tell with Ninja I guess? Seems less about positionals and more about combos + dot management, along with Mudra stuff. Also wondering if Mudra lag is as bad as people make it out to be, because leveling something and then having to fight latency to play the job properly sounds like pain in the butt.
I didn't play Ninja, but you're right about Monk. The way you play leveling is basically the way you play at 60, just with more oGCD's to use.

You're probably gonna want a VPN like WTFast or Pingzapper if you want to play ninja well. Mudra lag is such a pain. Ninja has one positional that's pretty much essential which is Trick Attack.

WolvenOne

Supposedly they're making changes to how the servers handle Mudra inputs in 3.1, to make them a bit less lag dependent.

Honestly, yaay! I'm looking forward to that, since that issue had kept me from even touching Ninja.

I'm confused as to what this is...is it the same stuff that shows when you put the Blu-ray in your PS4 and play the songs on there? Does the app come with the songs for people who don't have the Blu-ray?

I'm not sure, as I didn't get the Blu-ray and don't know what it contains. But it's a time-limited thing (including once you've got it), so you can't just download it and have it forever. The app contains a selection of tracks with optional notes in Japanese by Soken and subtitles for the songs.

aceface

I'm not sure, as I didn't get the Blu-ray and don't know what it contains. But it's a time-limited thing (including once you've got it), so you can't just download it and have it forever. The app contains a selection of tracks with optional notes in Japanese by Soken and subtitles for the songs.

Oh, maybe a sampler for what's on the Blu-ray then to get people to buy it I'm thinking? That's exactly what's on the blu ray if you put it in your PS4 to play the songs.

Omni

Crafting seems... incredibly expensive to get into. Or maybe I'm just poor because I've wasted most of my gil on minions and glamour... But still! I'm on the fence about whether or not it's even worth it at this point. Leves don't seem to give much in contrast to the amount you're forced to put in. Though I'm only level 27 WVR right now so maybe that changes.

It's all just starting to feel like a job. Haha.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Level 52 miner here does anyone know where I can buy gear :)
Thanks.
The market board. No vendor carries the lv 53 set so you'll need someone to craft it for you, buy it off the MB, or skip the set and buy the lv 55 set from the Moghome vendor.

Also don't forget you can get a free piece of gear by doing your class quest.

Mattiator

The market board. No vendor carries the lv 53 set so you'll need someone to craft it for you, buy it off the MB, or skip the set and buy the lv 55 set from the Moghome vendor.

Also don't forget you can get a free piece of gear by doing your class quest.

Thanks you :) I will see what I can afford lol people like to sell things pretty expensive but many I'll get lucky :)

aceface

Crafting seems... incredibly expensive to get into. Or maybe I'm just poor because I've wasted most of my gil on minions and glamour... But still! I'm on the fence about whether or not it's even worth it at this point. Leves don't seem to give much in contrast to the amount you're forced to put in. Though I'm only level 27 WVR right now so maybe that changes.

I completely leveled CUL and CRP to 50 and the rest to 15 just by doing Ixal beast tribe quests...maybe those days are done though? I don't know if they still give as much exp as they used to.

Kenai

I completely leveled CUL and CRP to 50 and the rest to 15 just by doing Ixal beast tribe quests...maybe those days are done though? I don't know if they still give as much exp as they used to.

They still give pretty good exp. Doing those, GC turn ins and leves is pretty good, got CUL and CRP to 60 without running out.

My leves are almost capped again and I'm trying to decide on my next 60.

It's a lot cheaper to gather the mats yourself. That comes at the cost of it becoming much more time consuming, though.

ReaperXL7

I'm kind of glad I dont really play MMOs the way a lot of other people do. I see people talking about burn out, or there not being enough content and the like and I can't really agree because I have barely touched the content passed 50 yet (Though I did take a break briefly due to RL and other games).

It probably helps that the way I play is that I try to play every job to atleast 50 because I like understanding how a job is supposed to work even if on just a base level so that I can help people who might not be as knowledgable. I normally don't mind spending some time whiping either in cases where there are people who are completely new to the content because expecting new players to just know how to do everything isn't beneficial to anyone and it doesnt help make people want to play the game or grow the community if they just start out and have people telling them to suck and GTFO.

I mean I have almost always mained Tank since I started playing this around launch so I always took it as a personally responsibility to be the one explaining how to do do content to other players when going through it, but I think my favorite times in this game have been when the content is completely new because no one knows it and everyone seems much more forgiving when mistakes are made. I'm not a raider though primarily because between family and having a full time job I just dont have a schedule that would work for getting into a static.

I also like some of the gold saucer stuff which most others seem to hate but that is what it is.

Cmagus

Sargatanas GAF - Red Dot photo night

pAUuhWz.png

Pretty good turn out tonight I just wish I got some more images before some moved out of the shot lol. If you're on our server and missed out there will be another night soon for Halloween pictures once the new Halloween event hits.

dramatis

Pretty good turn out tonight I just wish I got some more images before some moved out of the shot lol. If you're on our server and missed out there will be another night soon for Halloween pictures once the new Halloween event hits.
Who is the tragic Paladin that didn't get a company tabard.

Cmagus

Who is the tragic Paladin that didn't get a company tabard.

He is a new recruit from a few days ago and he would have gotten one but we ran out so we just went down the list. There were a few who were new and we just didn't have enough for everyone tonight. All members will get one though we just need the mats from the airship stuff. We need to make a bunch more we've been getting a lot of growth lately with a ton of great new members so in due time they will get their tabards.

Xux

Any secret uses for One Ilm Punch?

Seems like the kind of thing that would only really be useful in PvP where you might be able strip an enemy's buffs.
There's some specific enemies like the Dhalmels in Neverreap and the Iron Giant in Fractal you can use it on to help a little but it's rare and inconsequential enough to not be necessary.

There's some specific enemies like the Dhalmels in Neverreap and the Iron Giant in Fractal you can use it on to help a little but it's rare and inconsequential enough to not be necessary.

Figured as much.

What about Perfect Balance? Is that something you only use at the start of a fight to build up 3 stacks of GL? Should I bother using it in the middle of a fight if I already have 3 stacks up? And should I save Perfect Balance for bosses or is it recommended to use it whenever it's up against trash mobs?

Omni

I've noticed a trend... The later on in the week you leave Alex (normal) runs, the more wipes you can expect to have. Hectic.

And speaking of, I'm getting kinda tired of that raid. If people have any clue about what they're doing it's pretty cut and dry. I wish I could give Savage a go but I'm only a i193 White Mage and everyone demands higher levelled people with experience and whatever else.

Sifl

I've noticed a trend... The later on in the week you leave Alex (normal) runs, the more wipes you can expect to have. Hectic.

And speaking of, I'm getting kinda tired of that raid. If people have any clue about what they're doing it's pretty cut and dry. I wish I could give Savage a go but I'm only a i193 White Mage and everyone demands higher levelled people with experience and whatever else.
Might just be my server, but most people have a minimum ilvl190 requirement for a1s, so you could probably find someone willing to take you. I actually watched a stream the other day of a group with an ilvl188 whm clear a4s.

Wilsongt

I just realized I am the only dhalmel neck there and I'm right in the back center. :)

I am addicted like hell to this game. Almost level 30 lancer after four days of playing. Think I'll be playing this all the way through the winter and then some.

Been playing by myself though, which I hear is the wrong way to go about it.

AwShucks

I'm going to be doing the two end 2.0 dungeons tomorrow afternoon most likely. Anyone in the FC up for helping me out and letting me both participate in the dungeon and watch the cutscenes? I've seen around that you only need 3 over leveled people to help out to make it a cakewalk.

I'll send an FC message tomorrow when I'm ready as well. Probably try the party finder route too. Last resort is just doing it with random people and watching cutscenes at the inn afterwards.

WolvenOne

Finally forced myself to do crafting red scrips, but the recipe I was using to earn red scrips was removed from the turn in boards before I could finish capping.

Can you always expect a given red scrip recipe to pop up at least once a week?

PS: Another thing they could be doing to make crafting red scrips less annoying, is to double the number of recipes you could use for turn ins at any given time. If you only have one or two classes capable of doing the scrips turn ins, there's a high likelyhood that none of the options available on your crafting day are going to be very appealing. Since a lot of players don't log on daily, and only craft casually, that's a problem.

Nasser

Question for bards, I hit lvl 60 and I've been trying to figure out a rotation with the new skills and I can't really find a good rotation to be honest. So I was wondering what everyone doing? What's your new rotation?

Valor

Question for bards, I hit lvl 60 and I've been trying to figure out a rotation with the new skills and I can't really find a good rotation to be honest. So I was wondering what everyone doing? What's your new rotation?

http://angered.guildwork.com/forum/...826a2c6214d-heavensward-bard-guide-by-krietor

Bard senpai said:
1. Straight Shot must have an 100% uptime (If Straight Shot aligns with your Dots clip it and recast it @ ~6 seconds)
2. Windbite (330 oPotency) before Venomous Bite (310 oPotency). Only use Iron Jaws only afterwards for DoTs reapplication
3. Iron Jaws (580 oPotency) When you see 3 Seconds left on your Dots recast Iron)
4.Sidewinder (250 Potency If both DoTs are up)
5. Misery's End - (instant 190 Potency oGCD)
6. Bloodletter (instant 150 Potency)
7.Empyreal Arrow (220 Potency)
8. Straighter Shot (140*50% CritBonus = ~210 Potency ) Make sure 1 2 & 6 are on CD or applied
9. Flaming Arrow (350 oPotency)
10.Align your Empyreal Arrow casts after a Straighter Shot Proc cast (under 6 seconds waiting time)
11. Heavy Shot (150 Potency)
12. Repelling Shot (Weave it only if 6 is on CD)
13. Blunt Arrow (Weave it only if 6 is on CD)

His openers are pretty good too as a rule of thumb. For most dungeons I try to use the opener where you start with fully buffed Barrage and hit another EA before the buffs drop off. If anything, it's a good way to get started in figuring out how the Bard kit works together at 60, so you can experiment from there.

I am addicted like hell to this game. Almost level 30 lancer after four days of playing. Think I'll be playing this all the way through the winter and then some.

Been playing by myself though, which I hear is the wrong way to go about it.

Since you're playing DPS it's good to play with a Tank or Healer if you can since that means low dungeon queue times.

Teknoman

I'm going to be doing the two end 2.0 dungeons tomorrow afternoon most likely. Anyone in the FC up for helping me out and letting me both participate in the dungeon and watch the cutscenes? I've seen around that you only need 3 over leveled people to help out to make it a cakewalk.

I'll send an FC message tomorrow when I'm ready as well. Probably try the party finder route too. Last resort is just doing it with random people and watching cutscenes at the inn afterwards.

All else fails, if you do go with duty finder, just tell em you're new and would like to watch the cutscenes.

On that note, maybe I've taken too long of an extended backlog break. Now I know i'm really behind the curve.

Ken

aceface

So my group got a healer but now we're down a dps so if there's a MCH or Bard on Ultros who wants an Alex savage group and you can make it on Thursdays and Sundays from 9:00 - 11:30 pm eastern PM me or msg Tomo Takino in game.

Teknoman

Was going to post a pretty long response to some stuff an hour or so ago, but decided maybe I didn't need to. One of the points was how I love single player RPGs so much for those times I screw up mechanics but still somehow manage to pull off the win on a first play through. Most single player games do not require a high degree of skill/execution/strategy to win the battle on a first play through, and you can get by with a messy, impromptu plan of action to try to salvage things. FF XIV's raids do not allow for this until you are overgeared. During progression, rarely, if ever, can you overcome a decent mistake. That sucks so much of the fun out of the fight for me. And yes, with a fight that's 10+ minutes long, that sucks. I can deal with that on a smaller scale (see hard platformers, character action games) where the restart penalty doesn't suck because the thing you're trying to overcome only lasts a few mins long at most. The requirement that a single mistake can ruin the run/fight only applies to harder difficulty settings or self-imposed challenges, which is what you do AFTER you know a fight very well and have been clearing it a lot. MMO raid design is like the complete opposite of this, especially in FF XIV, because it has to for the sake of keeping people playing...er paying longer. It's probably the single thing I hate the most about MMO raiding. Compound this with the fact 7 other people can make mistakes (ie it's not just you), and yea...it's frustrating. Which is why I've stuck to single player games for most of my life and have hated any type of co-op ever conceived.

What sucks is that you'd think limit breaks or really long cooldown skills would give you an out for at least one or two major mistakes if your party could pull back together. I know XI was pretty tough, and 2hrs saved us on more than one occasion, allowing us to pull off miracles every now and then. It would be nice if they had the foresight to implement game mechanics that would at least give a fighting chance, especially since Yoshi himself used to play MMOs from back in the day / Diablo series.

Woo level 50 for the first time!

Congrats!

AwShucks

Final dungeon... Skip cutscenes or don't participate in dungeon? I'm leaning towards skip since I can just watch in the inn after. Is there any scenes that you can't rewatch that are important?

The issue here is a common one where the devs listened to the community but the community is stupid and doesn't actually know what they need or want.

Unfortunately the relative inexperience of Yoshi's team is showing here. 99% of the time, the community is both stupid and wrong. The first thing MMO developers need to learn is to focus on the data they have gathered and ignore what the community is saying or doing. The data for original Coil showed around a 10% completion rate before expac for JP and around 4% for NA/EU. For anyone who cares, the average WoW raid completion rate is not far off that mark in the NA/EU regions, although WoW is not and has never been officially available in JP.

Coil's difficulty was appropriate for the community, which is why Alex Savage such a bonehead fucking retarded design decision. FFXIV is not a hardcore raiding game, all the hardcore raiders play WoW. The fact that the vast majority of hardcore raiders have had to congregate on one server (Gilgamesh) just to find each other should be proof enough that the hardcore raiding community is tiny in this game.

Of course one big problem in FFXIV is carried over from FFXI. Yoshi and his team live in a bubble where only the JP community is ever considered. There was this one time where Yoshi was at some convention in the US and he sat down to play a Ninja character and he was like "Why is it laggy like this?" only to be told "Oh, that's normal." Like he had no fucking idea that mudras had lag, because he and his team only ever played on the JP test and live servers. So maybe they thought Coil was too easy because 10% of JPs had cleared it before expac, more than double the number of NA/EU players.

Was going to post a pretty long response to some stuff an hour or so ago, but decided maybe I didn't need to. One of the points was how I love single player RPGs so much for those times I screw up mechanics but still somehow manage to pull off the win on a first play through. Most single player games do not require a high degree of skill/execution/strategy to win the battle on a first play through, and you can get by with a messy, impromptu plan of action to try to salvage things. FF XIV's raids do not allow for this until you are overgeared. During progression, rarely, if ever, can you overcome a decent mistake. That sucks so much of the fun out of the fight for me. And yes, with a fight that's 10+ minutes long, that sucks. I can deal with that on a smaller scale (see hard platformers, character action games) where the restart penalty doesn't suck because the thing you're trying to overcome only lasts a few mins long at most. The requirement that a single mistake can ruin the run/fight only applies to harder difficulty settings or self-imposed challenges, which is what you do AFTER you know a fight very well and have been clearing it a lot. MMO raid design is like the complete opposite of this, especially in FF XIV, because it has to for the sake of keeping people playing...er paying longer. It's probably the single thing I hate the most about MMO raiding. Compound this with the fact 7 other people can make mistakes (ie it's not just you), and yea...it's frustrating. Which is why I've stuck to single player games for most of my life and have hated any type of co-op ever conceived.

The cycle of the MMO raider more or less goes:

-----> START PLAYING GAME
(1) OMG this is fun we're doing all this shit together WOOOOO
(2) Damn, I've been at this awhile and my only reward is more of the same
(3) I like doing this because I'm friends with these people and we've been together forever
(4) This isn't as much fun as it used to be, but I gotta stick with my friends
(5) I'm bored of this shit, I've been doing it for months/years
(6) Goddammit I don't want to quit, I don't want to leave my friends behind
(7) Fuck this shit
----> QUIT GAME OR GO CASUAL

There's a reason why most WoW raiders will raid for some time, possibly years. Then one day they stop and never raid again. Some quit the game forever. Others return just for big patches to see the story. The entire MMO raiding cycle is based on new raiders joining the game and raiding when old raiders quit. When the total number of raiders in the world is exhausted, you see what's happening with WoW where subs peaked at WotLK and have been spiraling downwards since, only to spike for a month when an expac is released. More people are quitting raiding than starting raiding, and all the other players just resub for the expac, look around and see the story, and go back into hibernation.

Squenix has managed to compress the 10-year long WoW cycle of growth, peak, and decline into just 2 years by releasing such a disappointing expac in HW. Good job there I guess, but this is one case where you don't want to be better than Blizzard.

Top Bottom