• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What does Golden Saucer impact in the rest of the game? How does doing something in Golden Saucer change what you do in dungeons or primal fights?

I don't think it's a matter of the Golden Saucer being "useless". Holidays in WoW were largely useless but I still enjoyed grinding them for stupid items.

The problem (if you could even call it that), for me at least, was that the Golden Saucer for boring after the first few days. Triple Triad seemed like nothing more than a card grind, tournaments get cheesed, and the mini-games weren't interesting for more than a few minutes. The only reason I kept going back was for mini and jumbo cactpots.

None of this is necessarily bad if that's what SE set out to do (that is, make the Golden Saucer a small attraction not meant to hold your attention for a while). It's just that I don't see the Golden Saucer is being the big attraction that a lot of people seem to see it as.

tl;dr: It's not that interesting to me. Doesn't mean it's bad.

Tabris

I would be interested to see the stats of how much Golden Saucer gets used, all I have is anecdotal evidence but it seems like most people don't do much with Golden Saucer.

We know none of the small mini games get played after the first try - useless content.
Most people just do the sneeze thing for GATEs and even then it's maybe like 3 or 4 people each time I've tried - more useless content.
I rarely see people in Chocobo Racing at all.
The TT tournament gets about what? 100 people?

I mainly see people run in to do their lotteries each day for glamour gear as the primary use of Golden Saucer.

Sorian

Banned
...is this seriously the level of discourse you want in this thread?

Was something I said there wrong?

I would be interested to see the stats of how much Golden Saucer gets used, all I have is anecdotal evidence.

We know none of the small mini games get played after the first try - useless content.
Most people just do the sneeze thing for GATEs and even then it's maybe like 3 or 4 people each time I've tried - more useless content.
I rarely see people in Chocobo Racing at all.
The TT tournament gets about what? 100 people?

I mainly see people run in to do their lotteries each day for glamour gear as the primary use of Golden Saucer.

Anecdotal evidence of a low to medium populated server at that. I mean, I don't see the point here though? I enjoy gold saucer so I disagree with you. I did chocobo racing and triple triad each for quite a long time and I'm very excited for the minion mini-game. So it's not useless content because:

Of course I'm talking about me though - I want a game designed for what I want. Don't you?

Tabris

Anecdotal evidence of a low to medium populated server at that. I mean, I don't see the point here though? I enjoy gold saucer so I disagree with you. I did chocobo racing and triple triad each for quite a long time and I'm very excited for the minion mini-game. So it's not useless content because:

Ultros is at least a medium to high population server (It's usually blocked from new character generation) with a low end game population. I think Golden Saucer is level 15 minimum only.

I was responding to your comment about most people. So just to recap, it's useless tier for me but I also think it's useless tier for most other players in this game.

If it wasn't, it would be much more populated on our server.

Was something I said there wrong?

I think he's responding to your tone. I'm just used to the "sharp" Asami.

WolvenOne

PS: it's looking a lot like Sky Island exploration is going to be time gated, possibly by airship.

If so it'll be particularly difficult to zerg it. Because even if you're GC has four airships, chances are at any given time at least a few of them will be on cool down when that HNM that drops 210 gear spawns.

That also assumes the community will be able to figure out the spawn times with a reasonable degree of accuracy. It took nearly a month to get a good sense for hunt mark spawns, and even then the timers were frequently off by a few hours. Also that was in the over world, so there were no entry restrictions, any entry restrictions will slow down how quickly the community can get accurate estimates for spawn windows.

Granted, I don't KNOW this is how it works, but it does seem likely.

PS: I enjoyed Chocobo Racing, but didn't see a real point to breeding. So it was mainly just a way to grind Mandeville currency. I kinda hope they tweak that a bit in 3.1.

Tabris

Except they said you could access the same island via an airship in Ishgard for those not in an FC. They just said there was some benefit to FC airships.

Sorian

Banned
Ultros is at least a medium to high population server (It's usually blocked from new character generation) with a low end game population. I think Golden Saucer is level 15 minimum only.

I was responding to your comment about most people. So just to recap, it's useless tier for me but I also think it's useless tier for most other players in this game.

If it wasn't, it would be much more populated on our server.

I think he's responding to your tone. I'm just used to the "sharp" Asami.

That's a bit of an odd argument though, don't you think? I fully admit that Gold Saucer has outlived it's glory days at this point but if that's how we are grading content then you might as well take coil out of the high tier and throw that in with useless content too. I don't know, patch 3.1 is light which is what makes people not like it but I've seen a good amount of excitement for the minion thing which falls safely into the gold saucer area of content.

PS: it's looking a lot like Sky Island exploration is going to be time gated, possibly by airship.

If so it'll be particularly difficult to zerg it. Because even if you're GC has four airships, chances are at any given time at least a few of them will be on cool down when that HNM that drops 210 gear spawns.

That also assumes the community will be able to figure out the spawn times with a reasonable degree of accuracy. It took nearly a month to get a good sense for hunt mark spawns, and even then the timers were frequently off by a few hours. Also that was in the over world, so there were no entry restrictions, any entry restrictions will slow down how quickly the community can get accurate estimates for spawn windows.

Granted, I don't KNOW this is how it works, but it does seem likely.

PS: I enjoyed Chocobo Racing, but didn't see a real point to breeding. So it was mainly just a way to grind Mandeville currency. I kinda hope they tweak that a bit in 3.1.

Except they said you could access the same island via an airship in Ishgard for those not in an FC. They just said there was some benefit to FC airships.

I've been thinking that the implication here is that FC airships will be able to bring you to different areas (read as instances or closed areas not accessible by flying mounts) than the regular NPC airship from Ishgard. At the end of the day, it's hard to pretend that this is going to be zerg content until we actually know enough about it.

Arkeband

Banned
That's a bit of an odd argument though, don't you think? I fully admit that Gold Saucer has outlived it's glory days at this point but if that's how we are grading content then you might as well take coil out of the high tier and throw that in with useless content too. I don't know, patch 3.1 is light which is what makes people not like it but I've seen a good amount of excitement for the minion thing which falls safely into the gold saucer area of content.

They could have very well not relegated Coil to uselessness by adding a Coil category to the challenge log with a big EXP buff - "Clear 3 Coil floors synced" "Clear 5 unique Coil floors synced" - that people could challenge on new jobs to mix up the stale dungeon/FATE grind. And I mean, that's just one easily implementable idea, there are tons of different ways they could make old content relevant without requiring there to be a "Run this 400 times" relic chain attached to it.

Sorian

Banned
They could have very well not relegated Coil to uselessness by adding a Coil category to the challenge log with a big EXP buff - "Clear 3 Coil floors synced" "Clear 5 unique Coil floors synced" - that people could challenge on new jobs to mix up the stale dungeon/FATE grind. And I mean, that's just one easily implementable idea, there are tons of different ways they could make old content relevant without requiring there to be a "Run this 400 times" relic chain attached to it.

I agree, that would be fantastic. It would be worthless to me because I don't level but yes. I also want them to do something to make CT and the rest relevant again too.

Omni

Need to start attempting Ravana Extreme. Really hard to find a group that has cleared it before, let alone wants to farm 10 times though. I want the weapon but it seems very unlikely

WolvenOne

I suspect that the Ishgard airship is going to effectively function like public transportation. IE, it departs on a set schedule and anyone can sign up to go before it departs. I mean, if indeed FC airships are time gated, than the Ishgard ship will need to be time gated in the same way somehow. So there's only so many ways that could work.

Again though, this is largely speculation on my part. It really doesn't sound like you'll be able to freely farm that content though.

PS: I wouldn't call gold saucer a bomb, it was really busy for a long time. It just needs some new attractions at this point.

PPS: They'll be adding a Gold Saucer section to the Challenge Log, so there's that.

PPPS: The Devs have stated that the are going to add a new incentive for players to go back and do the old 24-person raids in 3.1. I can only speculate what it'll be.

Kenai

I love triple triad as a game. I hate having to grind an npc for hours to get one card.

This too. Super low drop rate cards from NPCs and things like WoD and Dragon's Neck are pretty awful. The actual game is fun, but i have bought waaaaaaaay too many Gold Card packs at this point to not see even one Zidane.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
d5157e78c8.png
This kind of stuff in games will never not be creepy.

Alex

Gadzooks you're still on this!?

Look, story does take resources, and the story for the expansion is a bit heftier than the average expansions storyline.

Eh I'd say it's a fair bit slimmer, XIV eschews a lot of plotting and world building heft in favor of easier consumption with more elaborate presentation and an enforced, mandatory main quest line. I'm not a lore hound so actually I quite prefer the quicker/easier consumption. My only issue here to this day is how this method really puts a lot of pressure to keep to one character when they insist on lockouts that bolt you down on one class at a time.

Ultimately, I think the main thing I learned from Heavensward is that I actually agree with the people who want more fluff alongside a more retro method of progression. Normally I'm the opposite, but after two years I don't think anything is going to give with the issues with the combat system, the extremely slim battle content and the fact that there's still not one iota of thought being given to gearing, stats or class customization. If they don't want a big dungeon/raiding end game then they need to stop toeing the line with it and focus elsewhere because proper raiding takes a lot of resources and effort to build up and tune.

The community is a very accurate reflection to the state of end game. Way too much effort to put together and maintain progression groups with so little content and variables. It's caused my unsub in ARR and now in HW, much swifter in HW because I also feel they pretty much ruined crafting as well.

Omni

Is there a reason why groups in the party finder who are doing Ravana Extreme don't want new people? Is there some kind of bonus or whatever that they miss out on?

Like I understand that if you're farming you don't want to be spending hours on the one clear. But I was in a group and first attempt we got him down to 30% or so. I mean... for a party made up of people who hadn't played with each other before, that seems pretty good to me? One of the "experienced" tanks gets himself killed like four times during the course of the battle and I didn't do anything wrong. Yet they kick me the moment I said I was new. Ugh. I feel like I'm missing something

Sorian

Banned
Is there a reason why groups in the party finder who are doing Ravana Extreme don't want new people? Is there some kind of bonus or whatever that they miss out on?

Like I understand that if you're farming you don't want to be spending hours on the one clear. But I was in a group and first attempt we got him down to 30% or so. I mean... for a party made up of people who hadn't played with each other before, that seems pretty good to me? One of the "experienced" tanks gets himself killed like four times during the course of the battle and I didn't do anything wrong. Yet they kick me the moment I said I was new. Ugh. I feel like I'm missing something

People are assholes is really the only answer here. Sadly, most people are to stuck up and assume that a new person is a drooling mess but all of the players that have beaten it are pros.

Sifl

Yea people can be dicks. I just did a Bis Ex run with an extremely under geared tank, who clearly knew what he was doing. The Nin started attacking the snake right when it spawned, got killed and claimed the tank couldn't hold agro and he sucked, had a mini meltdown and left. Replaced him and cleared it in 2 more tries.

Severance

I hit 60 the other night on my return to the game and am really underwhelmed. It seems like a really bad time to have just turned 60. So I've got 3 level 60 dungeons to grind in order to obtain ilvl 170 and move up to Alexander. All 3 have devolved into speed run, pull everything and AoE. It reminds me of endlessly grinding Brayflox HM for relics in ARR.. I loved ARR but that is my least favorite memory of it.

Other than that, there is Bismarck Ex and whatever other extreme primals. Too bad it is impossible to find a group for as a new player so I can't comment on how the extreme primals are yet. I'll get a FC run at some point this week I'm sure, but they need to put that shit on the Duty Finder already. I'll wipe all day if I have to, itd be more fun then playing these Brayflox HM imitations again and again. Instead I just turned 60 and I'm crafting. I'll stick it out, but I think it'll be awhile before I can enjoy endgame.

Wilsongt

I see we've returned to the bitch about ded gaem cycle of the OT.

Ah well. Almost got all of my crafts to 60. Feeling good about it.

Sifl

Well, he's right about the new players thing. No one runs Bis Ex that knows how to do it, the people that run Rav Ex don't want new people, and people doing Alex just want their dropsto get it over with each week. So no, it's not very new player welcome atm

Wilsongt

Well, he's right about the new players thing. No one runs Bis Ex that knows how to do it, the people that run Rav Ex don't want new people, and people doing Alex just want their dropsto get it over with each week. So no, it's not very new player welcome atm

Nor will the new EX trial be newcomer friendly, because you will most likely have to have beaten Bismark and Rav EX in order to do it.

Square-Enix logic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<pokes head in> Still no patch? Bummer. =(

Not a fan of HW. It killed me desire to play and love for the game via pure tediem. Slow tedium. T-T Is there a live letter soon?

ReaperXL7

<pokes head in> Still no patch? Bummer. =(

Not a fan of HW. It killed me desire to play and love for the game via pure tediem. Slow tedium. T-T Is there a live letter soon?

They said the first 10 days of November. IMO they probably would have had it out sooner but are holding off until the European data center is up and stable before pushing the patch out which makes sense.

IvorB

engame content is super sparse and no updates to it since it launched. Unless you're a super hardcore raider there's nothing for you in the heavensward expac once you hit 60 aside from two ex primal fights and alexander normal, which was finished within four - six weeks depending on how intent you were on gearing your main.

It was and is a good expac, but the problem is that Heavensward was released in June and now it's October. We aren't getting 3.1 until November, and 3.1 isn't promising a whole lot of extra content to do. By then it'll be 4+ months since an update and the endgame landscape will still likely be:

Bismarck EX / Ravana EX / Alexander Normal / Alexander Savage / Void Ark / KotR EX

Unless I missed something else, this isn't a whole lot of battle content. Crafting content is getting stale with no new recipes to chase after (some would argue it's been stale since launch) and the amount of Stuff To Do™ isn't very extensive as well. Aside from Airship Exploration/Verminion/Relic Quest in 3.1 there isn't a whole lot there as well it seems. We're still a good let's just say 3-4 months out for the next batch of content that should be added and a chance to see how they're gonna change Alex Savage based on feedback to see which direction the game will continue to evolve.

Yeah I can see the issues people have with this content delay but I feel like the thing itself that launched as Heavensward was pretty top notch quality. Time will only tell how much stuff the new patch will bring.

Hyperbole. Heavensward is fantastic. The patches are coming in November. Geez. I'll let the poor team have SOME rest before we demand another two straight years of non-stop content additions.

This is how I feel.

Unknown Soldier's post is spot on. It's why I quit back in early August. HW is one of the worst expansions I've played in my mmo career. Of course the feeling of something shiny and new for those first few weeks is great, but the giant dive it took after that I haven't experienced since Galaxies' first expansion JTL. I remember reading Tabris' posts about the glory days of FF11 and thinking he was being nostalgic a bit, but he was actually right when I think about my FF11 career. The content variety just isn't here yet for this game and the raiding scene is dismal in general. People scoff at pvp, but a robust pvp system is usually what allows the community to focus their attention elsewhere when pve isn't working out. This keeps the game alive while new raiders rise up and old raiders stick around. Square just doesn't know how to do pvp because, as mentioned, it's not something that's popular with Japanese players.

Well I can see a critisism that it was playing it very safe and was more of the same. But that more-of-the-same was delivered with such a high degree of polish and finesse that I have to rate it quite highly. Also the exploration sounds like something very different in many ways so maybe it's a bit soon to write off the content variety.

Garlador

I've only been 60 for a month and I gave up on it last week. There's only so much Neverreap or boring PVP matches I can take.

I'm a fresh 60. Did Neverreap once and enjoyed it. Did another trial.

"I thought Neverreap was pretty fun!"

Instantly, a vote to kick me out of the group popped up. Had to apologize. Found it amusing.

IvorB

I think it's pretty great too, though I recognise that it currently has some significant problems with the end-game, which are really being brought to the fore by Square losing their moment quite badly at a time when they were experimenting with new approaches for FFXIV (like story/savage raids). That sucks, but I'm not particularly salty about it. For the time being, I still have things to keep me occupied and I'm quite patient about wiping in A3S. I've been trying out new things as well, like working on my tanxiety since I really like DRK. Joined a Bismarck EX wipefest as DRK yesterday and had a lot of fun trying that out while chatting with one of the healers on Mumble; didn't even care that we didn't win because of the social aspect there. (Kind of wish that I was actually awake for GAF help nights if that's still a thing so that I could sneak in an opportunity to try stuff out as a tank.)

At any rate, it'll be interesting to see what the live letter will be like.

tl;dr: Players' experiences may vary

Yeah I'm still managing to squeeze more entertainment out of the pre-expac game which is pretty amazing.

Top Bottom