• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

ebil

Reset! Will you cap eso this week!?
R0IoAwS.jpg

I'm not sure I'll even make it to the end of Neverreap before next reset.

Ayumi

@Hasemo (if you ever see this)

Which JP server are you on? I was thinking of moving/starting over.

I'm kinda sad about such a dead FC and server whenever I'm on.. I'm a little tired of playing on NA, tbh, because no one is on when I am (I LOVE YOU GUYS THOUGH, & HI HAMAN).
This also makes doing FATEs and stuff kinda hard for me (and then it takes a lot more time for me to gain XP) because no one is around, lol.

Edit: Got my answer. :3

ebil

3 people who barely hit endgame, don't know their rotations, and are still using sub lvl60 gear, all signed up for a dungeon at once?

Happens from time to time, there's a bit of a gamble when you sign up for roulette.
That NIN had a Ravana weapon, DRG had an eso weapon. They were all at least i180.

No, that happens when people put absolutely 0 effort towards anything besides clicking "Commence" and expect to be carried because it's DF. My (Ifrit) Trial Roulette also had 2 afk people for most of the fight.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
R0IoAwS.jpg

Normally I'm not one to comment on DR party DPS, but I'm not sure how it's actually possible for a Ninja to do that kind of DPS unless they weren't actually doing anything at all. Wouldn't you put out more than that just by doing through your 1-2-3 rotation?

Wilsongt

The Patch timing is a mistake, can we all agree on that?

Yes. There really is no excuse for such a long period of downtime unless they were wanting to get the EU servers up first.

Not only that, we are on another information drought until the next FATE event. Really, really poor planning.

Yes. There really is no excuse for such a long period of downtime unless they were wanting to get the EU servers up first.

Not only that, we are on another information drought until the next FATE event. Really, really poor planning.

Well, the excuse given is that they took a holiday, but I think the real issue is that they planned the release of Heavensward poorly. It looks like they were already on the back foot when Heavensward itself came out later than they originally said it would, and the later bug fixes and tweaks probably took another chunk out of the time they had budgeted (it seems like there was more to do than they had banked on). Add a holiday on top of that, and the delays really pile up. I don't blame them for taking a holiday, but I think it's still fair to note that they let themselves and many of the players down with some really poor planning, and call them out on that - I'm saying this as someone who really enjoys FFXIV and the expansion. Yoshi-P and co. did a great job by turning around FFXIV, but I don't think that gives them carte blanche for the rest of the game's life.

I wouldn't have minded Heavensward itself coming out a little later so that they could have got all their ducks in the row, though I guess they had Square's bigger picture and instructions from above to deal with too. Still, the style of FFXIV so far is to put in a basic foundation and build on it with subsequent patches, and it was pretty foolish to leave the players with nothing but the basic foundation for a five(?)-month stretch. It feels like they put all their eggs in one basket for 3.1 when they should have had something lined up to fill the gap. Hopefully they'll have learnt from this and improve their contingency planning and development planning a bit.

WolvenOne

In news unrelated to patch cycles or whatnot.

Tonight, since it looks like I won't be raiding yet, I think I'll try to throw together some Bismark Extreme runs. I need my ugly whale axe anyway. I'll try to grab as many bored GAFers as I can. XD

In news unrelated to patch cycles or whatnot.

Tonight, since it looks like I won't be raiding yet, I think I'll try to throw together some Bismark Extreme runs. I need my ugly whale axe anyway. I'll try to grab as many bored GAFers as I can. XD

Oh man, that axe is awful. It looks like a bill-style axe gone wrong. The PLD/DRK swords are much cooler, in a Monster Hunter way.

I still think the arcanist books look awfully similar to the Scylla-themed dogbooks

Nasser

Hello guys, I have a question about the game subscription. I still have 8 days left on my account and I was thinking of paying for a month now since I have the money for it (Not sure if I will next week lol). If I pay for the month will I lose my 8 days that I still have?

Hello guys, I have a question about the game subscription. I still have 8 days left on my account and I was thinking of paying for a month now since I have the money for it (Not sure if I will next week lol). If I pay for the month will I lose my 8 days that I still have?

No. You will have time added on to your 8 days. So if you pay today, your game time should say "38 days" on Mogstation. The max sub days you can have at any time I believe is 180. Even with crysta/credit cards/game cards, it will cap you at 180 days paid time. If you try to add more time, it will give you an error stating you can't add more time.

Also, if any WHM/AST is looking for a static for A3S progression, please let me know.

Omni

3 people who barely hit endgame, don't know their rotations, and are still using sub lvl60 gear, all signed up for a dungeon at once?

Happens from time to time, there's a bit of a gamble when you sign up for roulette.
Even still. ~200 seems incredibly low, haha. I'm on console so I have no idea what I actually get, nor do I particularly care if people are lagging behind in dungeons, but from what I've read you'd have to purposely try to not actually do anything to achieve such a result, no? Suppose it's just people being lazy. Either way!

On that note. Have we heard anything about dps counters on training dummies? I remember rumours of that happening at some point.

On that note. Have we heard anything about dps counters on training dummies? I remember rumours of that happening at some point.

YoshiP won't let that happen so long as he has the authority to say so. While it can be used as an indicator to inform somebody they're not playing the class correctly, it's also a means to shame players who might not have any interest in "playing better" because they're simply here to play for fun or just want to try out something. In essence, it enables some of the player base to tell others how to play the game. When it comes to a majority of the content in XIV, optimal rotations and good dps are hardly a requisite for clearing. DPS meters would give some the ability to say "you should play this way" when they don't have to in order to enjoy the game. It's like going to a game show and the attendant telling you that you're "playing it wrong" even if you're having a good time. Or a developer/publisher saying "you're not supposed to do to" when you still have the ability to do it because that's what you wanted to do. Just because something was intended to be done one way doesn't mean it has to be. DPS meters would sway the atmosphere of XIV further into the "only one right way to play" direction. That mentality only has a place in progression raiding and pushing to clear new content as early as possible, not the rest of the game.

Now, having some other means built into the game to teach people how to play classes more properly would be welcomed by most. Again, this type of stuff still invites the mentality mentioned above, but to nowhere near the same degree. I personally would not be opposed to training mechanisms in the game, and I think it's more reasonable to expect something like this at some point. I believe this is also what you probably heard of and were referring to -- the dev team did mention some means of practice/training being available at some point, but we have no idea what that is.

Basically, XIV is a casual MMO with a largely casual player base and dps meters aren't for casuals, and can be used to antagonize the majority of the player base by a minority. And as pointed out with more alarming frequency by those who play multiple MMOs, XIV's "community" is one of the most adverse when it comes to veterans helping newcomers.

WolvenOne

I still think the ultimate solution is to give players the option to parse themselves, but not anyone else. That way the only time people see other players numbers *unless they use ACT,* is when they choose to divulge the information themselves.

ReaperXL7

Has there been any information on what the training grounds will consist of, I would imagine they would have to include some way for a dps to see how much dmg thy are doing. It could be an interesting way for players to practice various job responsibilities of practice different kinds of mechanics if the devs are able to get it to work properly. The most obvious way of getting people to participate in it would be to give rewards for completing challenges in a given role.

This and the airship stuff are really interesting to me, I'm still somewhat unsure of lords of Verminion

WolvenOne

Has there been any information on what the training grounds will consist of, I would imagine they would have to include some way for a dps to see how much dmg thy are doing. It could be an interesting way for players to practice various job responsibilities of practice different kinds of mechanics if the devs are able to get it to work properly. The most obvious way of getting people to participate in it would be to give rewards for completing challenges in a given role.

This and the airship stuff are really interesting to me, I'm still somewhat unsure of lords of Verminion

The only thing I've heard definitively about Training Grounds, is that they wanted to give people the option to practice specific mechanics of the current top tier raids.

Other then that, well they need to have some sort of measurement system for DPS. A, B, C, F, or something like that. *shrug*

Garlador

The only thing I've heard definitively about Training Grounds, is that they wanted to give people the option to practice specific mechanics of the current top tier raids.

Other then that, well they need to have some sort of measurement system for DPS. A, B, C, F, or something like that. *shrug*

That would be very helpful indeed.

I know it's the nature of the beast of MMOs, but when you're balancing a half-dozen classes, all with their own abilities, it's important to know which ones should take priority, which ones to use in conjunction with other abilities, and what situations best call for what skills.

"Figure it out on your own" doesn't cut it for 90% of the players who reach endgame.

WolvenOne

Leave him on Mars

;_;

PS: Gonna celebrate tonight, someway somehow. You get a Bismark clear, and YOU get a Bismark clear! Or, something I dunno, there's gotta be a way to celebrate in game!

For context, and I hope people don't mind me going a bit off topic, just got a text and according to the doctors my Brother's cancer is in complete remission.

Get hype!!

scy

That would be very helpful indeed.

I know it's the nature of the beast of MMOs, but when you're balancing a half-dozen classes, all with their own abilities, it's important to know which ones should take priority, which ones to use in conjunction with other abilities, and what situations best call for what skills.

"Figure it out on your own" doesn't cut it for 90% of the players who reach endgame.

While I do agree that there needs to be feedback for players and all that, I'm not entirely sold on the idea that Training Grounds can do anything to really make people want to get better. It'll be a nice thing to have for those players who want to improve but there needs to be a better incentive to get people to want to improve.

Most the rotations aren't that complex to get to a decent point but many don't even do that. I don't see the Training Grounds helping these people in the slightest.

WolvenOne

While I do agree that there needs to be feedback for players and all that, I'm not entirely sold on the idea that Training Grounds can do anything to really make people want to get better. It'll be a nice thing to have for those players who want to improve but there needs to be a better incentive to get people to want to improve.

Most the rotations aren't that complex to get to a decent point but many don't even do that. I don't see the Training Grounds helping these people in the slightest.

Well, assuming there's a DPS trainer that can't be geared through and all that, they could always attach Titles to it.

maaaybe, Star Pupil for a B rank, and Prodigy for an A? Probably not enough but, might be a start.

Oh man I had 2 month break from XIV and now I'm soooo rusty :d. I don't remember any of my routines so I guess I'll just do main quests for now. I should be extremely close to Heavensward content, I have done quite a few main quests after the ending credits.

Garlador

Oh man I had 2 month break from XIV and now I'm soooo rusty :d. I don't remember any of my routines so I guess I'll just do main quests for now. I should be extremely close to Heavensward content, I have done quite a few main quests after the ending credits.

I've been DPS for a whole month. Tried to do a Duty Roulette the other day to level my original tank class.

... I had to apologize to my group a dozen times. I didn't remember the mechanics of the fight, I was so rusty on my skill cycles, and I kept dropping aggro.

At least it was a leveling dungeon and nothing important, but, wow, I had forgotten how stressful it is to be the tank compared to the DPS.

Basically, XIV is a casual MMO with a largely casual player base and dps meters aren't for casuals, and can be used to antagonize the majority of the player base by a minority. And as pointed out with more alarming frequency by those who play multiple MMOs, XIV's "community" is one of the most adverse when it comes to veterans helping newcomers.

If this is true then why are there non-Savage fights with DPS checks? You will wipe on Bismarck Extreme if more than one damage dealer is underperforming, and the same for Alexander 1/2 Normal (yes, it has happened to me multiple times with DF).

One of the reasons people ask for an in-game parser is so we don't have to pretend the problem doesn't exist. Last Bismarck Extreme I attempted, an ilvl194 Bard was doing 320 DPS total, the lowest of the entire group (including an ilvl155 BLM). One guy called him out and he just responded with "I'm reporting you for harassment".

This is actually a good read about the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3ol0oo/ffxiv_parsing_is_banning_it_actually_preventing/

I asked for WoW's training grounds months ago when I saw the BisEX issue. Basic pve trials for tank/heal/dps with set agro control/dps/hps requirements that must be completed before you can enter certain fights/instances.

R0IoAwS.jpg

I had a Bard in one of my Neverreaps that finished with 241.

Miyu did 1,100 in the same dungeon.

Yeah.

That was the week before I quit. It wasn't why I quit, but it didn't make me want to stay any longer either that's for sure.

I asked for WoW's training grounds months ago when I saw the BisEX issue. Basic pve trials for tank/heal/dps with set agro control/dps/hps requirements that must be completed before you can enter certain fights/instances.

This is just like the Guildhests though. Even then you will have a large amount of people getting through on other people's backs.

Did these WoW training grounds fix most of the people who just mash one/two/three button? I stopped playing WoW way before any of that so I don't know.

Even still. ~200 seems incredibly low, haha. I'm on console so I have no idea what I actually get, nor do I particularly care if people are lagging behind in dungeons, but from what I've read you'd have to purposely try to not actually do anything to achieve such a result, no? Suppose it's just people being lazy. Either way!

You pretty much have to literally not do anything except maybe press 1 occasionally to get around 200 in whatever gear you're wearing when you hit 60. So when there's somebody doing 200 in Neverreap, what is actually happening is they are watching TV on another screen while following the party around and hitting 1 to target a mob and then mostly AFKing. They are literally not playing the game, it's the only way to manage 200 at level 60 because auto-attack damage literally contributes 200.

This is the community that plays this game, so fuck em.

BadRNG

YoshiP won't let that happen so long as he has the authority to say so. While it can be used as an indicator to inform somebody they're not playing the class correctly, it's also a means to shame players who might not have any interest in "playing better" because they're simply here to play for fun or just want to try out something. In essence, it enables some of the player base to tell others how to play the game. When it comes to a majority of the content in XIV, optimal rotations and good dps are hardly a requisite for clearing. DPS meters would give some the ability to say "you should play this way" when they don't have to in order to enjoy the game. It's like going to a game show and the attendant telling you that you're "playing it wrong" even if you're having a good time. Or a developer/publisher saying "you're not supposed to do to" when you still have the ability to do it because that's what you wanted to do. Just because something was intended to be done one way doesn't mean it has to be. DPS meters would sway the atmosphere of XIV further into the "only one right way to play" direction. That mentality only has a place in progression raiding and pushing to clear new content as early as possible, not the rest of the game.
I hate this line of thought because it ignores the fact that this isn't a single player game. What you do affects other people, and while it's cool they are having fun and all, depending on how far you take that idea it just leads to frustration for everyone else. We've all been in that group with the guy who has no idea what he is doing and is hurting the group. Regardless of what they want to believe, the game is designed to play a certain way in certain aspects.

There's no real negative to DPS meters in my mind, bad players might get called out but then I don't have any issue with that either. Bad healers and tanks get called out all the time, why should DPS get any slack? Good players, and I don't mean people with good dps - just players actually trying in general - can get a lot of benefit from them too.

I don't ever expect optimal play from people, I am far from that myself, but the majority of the bad dps I see are not even trying. The screenshot posted above just shouldn't happen at 60.

Squishy3

yoship is probably against it because it wouldn't be used for kindly suggesting people improve, like below

"hey your dps isn't great maybe you should look up some rotations and get it higher"

it'll be

"your dps is bad kill yourself you fukcing loser" and then they votekick them.

maybe a good alternative would be the dps meter only appears if it's entering a duty with a premade party versus using DF to fill spots, since the encounters where DPS currently matters the most require premade parties anyway

Started playing a couple of days ago, rolling Lancer. I had the good sense to keep my debuff up at all times by... reading the ability information upon getting a new move.

I don't know. The game should explain obtuse mechanics, if any, but claiming the game isn't teaching "nuances" and using "keep your debuffs and DoTs up" as an example of said nuances is an extremely weak argument.

It doesn't have to be like WoW, where they hand you the rotation for your class upon specializing. It's okay to fiddle around and learn your class by reading ability information and testing things out.

Xux

You pretty much have to literally not do anything except maybe press 1 occasionally to get around 200 in whatever gear you're wearing when you hit 60. So when there's somebody doing 200 in Neverreap, what is actually happening is they are watching TV on another screen while following the party around and hitting 1 to target a mob and then mostly AFKing. They are literally not playing the game, it's the only way to manage 200 at level 60 because auto-attack damage literally contributes 200.

This is the community that plays this game, so fuck em.
It'd be neat if they focused on patching in a better community than on frivolous things like a shitty RTS mini-game or a Mac version.

That's probably why the patches slowed down; they have to account for the DX11 version and the kinda broken Mac version.

Squishy3

It'd be neat if they focused on patching in a better community than on frivolous things like a shitty RTS mini-game or a Mac version.

That's probably why the patches slowed down; they have to account for the DX11 version and the kinda broken Mac version.
DX11 version is broken for me and I have no fucking clue what causes it.

It's kind of a problem when every other load screen freezes. I want to use it too because it gives me a steady 60 FPS all the time while the DX9 client constantly drops into the 40s regardless of what graphics settings I use.

Sifl

Anyone else not play MCH at all just because it started at 30? Unlocking all those skills and not teaching you how to use them made me not even wanna give it a shot. Hope they figure something out for the new classes, maybe like a training thing introducing you to each skill.
Edit: Guess that can apply to all the new classes, but I just dps

Ken

Anyone else not play MCH at all just because it started at 30? Unlocking all those skills and not teaching you how to use them made me not even wanna give it a shot. Hope they figure something out for the new classes, maybe like a training thing introducing you to each skill.

Or just take 5 minutes to read them and use your brain.

Squishy3

That's what the level 30 job quest is for for those classes, although they don't do a particularly great job going about it for MCH. DRK's and AST's are pretty good.

Sifl

Hey that was rude :(.
Also reading each skill and figuring out how to use them is different then unlocking them each level and actually using it a bunch before unlocking your next skill, which usually ties into earlier skills in some way.

Ken

Hey that was rude :(.
Also reading each skill and figuring out how to use them is different then unlocking them each level and actually using it a bunch before unlocking your next skill, which usually ties into earlier skills in some way.

No.

Top Bottom