• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

MCH only really gives you two big things to acclimate to at 30, though: Ammo and the proc concept. And even there, you don't get the 3 in 1-2-3 right away just to make really sure there's a sense of progression. Most of the skills you get are just rebadged versions of concepts you should already be familiar with from having another 50: An AOE, a DOT, a self-buff, a slow, a knock back, a bind. Rapid Fire is sort of weird, but also doesn't really come into its own until much later, and Reassemble is just a guaranteed crit button so a quick glance at skills when setting up hotbars is all learning it takes.

I appreciated the game not making you go through the hand-holding 1-30 skill drip feed since so much of the base concepts were familiar.

scy

By 30 for basically every DPS you have the same setup. Your bread and butter spammable combo, an attack that you use to keep up a buff, an attack that you use to keep up a debuff/DoT, off-Global Cooldown attacks, self-buffs, generic utility.

Not understanding their core gimmick and how ammo interacts with their skills is one thing but not getting how to use the rest of their buttons is a bit confusing. Them throwing you out there with no real good setup for where the buttons are is another problem I guess but all the more reason to familiarize yourself with the skills as you place them around in a way that isn't terrible.

I guess the question is, what exactly is confusing about their kit at 30?

IvorB

Or just take 5 minutes to read them and use your brain.

Harsh but true. For me the whole fun of playing new classes is figuring out how to put all the skills together.

Speaking of which: can we all agree that Eye for an Eye is one of the sh*ttest skills in the game or am I missing something?

If this is true then why are there non-Savage fights with DPS checks? You will wipe on Bismarck Extreme if more than one damage dealer is underperforming, and the same for Alexander 1/2 Normal (yes, it has happened to me multiple times with DF).

One of the reasons people ask for an in-game parser is so we don't have to pretend the problem doesn't exist. Last Bismarck Extreme I attempted, an ilvl194 Bard was doing 320 DPS total, the lowest of the entire group (including an ilvl155 BLM). One guy called him out and he just responded with "I'm reporting you for harassment".

This is actually a good read about the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3ol0oo/ffxiv_parsing_is_banning_it_actually_preventing/

I would argue to a majority of players, Bismark EX is not casual content. My line of reasoning applies to dungeons/levels/MSQ (HM primals). The hardest content they probably do is Crystal Tower.

I hate this line of thought because it ignores the fact that this isn't a single player game. What you do affects other people, and while it's cool they are having fun and all, depending on how far you take that idea it just leads to frustration for everyone else. We've all been in that group with the guy who has no idea what he is doing and is hurting the group. Regardless of what they want to believe, the game is designed to play a certain way in certain aspects.

There's no real negative to DPS meters in my mind, bad players might get called out but then I don't have any issue with that either. Bad healers and tanks get called out all the time, why should DPS get any slack? Good players, and I don't mean people with good dps - just players actually trying in general - can get a lot of benefit from them too.

I don't ever expect optimal play from people, I am far from that myself, but the majority of the bad dps I see are not even trying. The screenshot posted above just shouldn't happen at 60.

You're wording is indicative of the problem/reason why the devs won't do it. Call out? That implies negative. Trying to teach or help? That implies positive. Most of the people calling for this stuff subconsciously think this way whether they like it or not. Virtually nobody is going to say "hey, your DPS is actually a bit low, can you show me your rotation" in a dungeon. Then go "okay, why don't you try this". And take the time to stop and teach them in the middle of a dungeon. They're going to say something to the effect of "git gud".

scy

Speaking of which: can we all agree that Eye for an Eye is one of the sh*ttest skills in the game or am I missing something?

It's RNG based but you can choose when to use it. It's pretty amazing in most situations for just generic lowering of outgoing damage. Problem is most people don't know how the skill actually works and just throw it on people not actively being beaten on. 20% chance for 10% generic damage reduction is pretty good, especially for the duration and basically complete lack of cost.

You're wording is indicative of the problem/reason why the devs won't do it. Call out? That implies negative. Trying to teach or help? That implies positive. Most of the people calling for this stuff subconsciously think this way whether they like it or not. Virtually nobody is going to say "hey, your DPS is actually a bit low, can you show me your rotation" in a dungeon. Then go "okay, why don't you try this". And take the time to stop and teach them in the middle of a dungeon. They're going to say something to the effect of "git gud".

I've done this plenty of times to people that I've noticed doing things wrong without consulting a parser (e.g., the Fire 3 -> Blizzard 3 infinite spams or SMN without all their DoTs). Just a quick "Hey, you should do X." When talking about calling out people, though, it's those examples of like 200-ish DPS players. That's not a fundamental misunderstanding of a class. That's just not physically being there pushing any buttons.

iammeiam

......this isn't funny.

Harsh but true. For me the whole fun of playing new classes is figuring out how to put all the skills together.

E4E is one of the most misunderstood skills in the game, but used properly it's fantastic. A depressing number of healers don't understand what it is or how it works, but deployed at the right time it cuts down on damage fairly well.

Ken

Virtually nobody is going to say "hey, your DPS is actually a bit low, can you show me your rotation" in a dungeon. Then go "okay, why don't you try this". And take the time to stop and teach them in the middle of a dungeon. They're going to say something to the effect of "git gud".

I've actually done this a few times pre-HW and a lot post-HW. Since I don't run a parser, if I notice stuff dies really slowly for people's gear, I'll start watching specific DPS and their casts. It's pretty easy to spot BlizzardWizards or Monks that Tornado Kick every time it's up, or people not using self-buffs like Hot Shot/Heavy Thrust, among other things. Takes less than a minute to explain how to actually do their stuff right at the basic level and that's good enough. Telling someone to "git gud" doesn't shave 10 minutes off my dungeon time.

Sifl

I didn't say it was difficult, I said I just didn't want to bother with it. When I unlocked it I basically went to an enemy, started pressing shit to see what it did. Then read the descriptions, and tried to set up my buttons in a way they felt comfortable. Didn't spend long on it, and basically shelved it. I like unlocking stuff 1 by 1, putting it where I want so I can get used to pressing it, then unlocking the next skill and doing the same. Just didn't feel like doing the muscle memory portion with so much stuff unlocked. No need to be rude, it ain't that serious lol.

Sifl

Im imagining you looking like
kappa.png
every time you respond

rubius01

That's fantastic that you guys take time out to help people out. It really is, but unfortunately, for every time you do something good, you get some jack ass just kick someone for being "a bad", or just make fun of them, or be a complete shit. Then you get the overly sensitive types where you try to help them out, they just bite your head off and tell you to fuck off.

iammeiam

I didn't say it was difficult, I said I just didn't want to bother with it. When I unlocked it I basically went to an enemy, started pressing shit to see what it did. Then read the descriptions, and tried to set up my buttons in a way they felt comfortable. Didn't spend long on it, and basically shelved it. I like unlocking stuff 1 by 1, putting it where I want so I can get used to pressing it, then unlocking the next skill and doing the same. Just didn't feel like doing the muscle memory portion with so much stuff unlocked. No need to be rude, it ain't that serious lol.

I dunno, I guess the concern is that they finally gave us a way to level classes that didn't require a mind-numbing slog through having one damage button and it's potentially being disregarded as too much effort. I think I initially did my layout basically by dumping buttons where I'd stuck the equivalent button on other jobs, so there wasn't a ton of effort at that point anyway .

It's a good thing and it's surprising to me that people find it bad, I guess.

......this isn't funny.

E4E is one of the most misunderstood skills in the game, but used properly it's fantastic. A depressing number of healers don't understand what it is or how it works, but deployed at the right time it cuts down on damage fairly well.

Yep, I didn't know how it worked until T13 when I was told to stop wasting it on the OT during blue balls phase. What you really want is the damage dealt down proc, not the defensive buff.

iammeiam

Yep, I didn't know how it worked until T13 when I was told to stop wasting it on the OT during blue balls phase. What you really want is the damage dealt down proc, not the defensive buff.

I mostly remember it from T13 runs too. But more specifically watching people repeatedly being told to fire it of well in advance of a big attack to give it time to proc... and then still timing it to land right before a cast like it's reverse-Virus.

Training Hall needs, like, an E4E module.

You're a black mage, right?

Use E4E on the tank early into large pulls in dungeons, bask in commendations from healers and tanks who know what it does.

Receive awful (dyeable) gown on receipt of your 1500th commendation.

IvorB

It's RNG based but you can choose when to use it. It's pretty amazing in most situations for just generic lowering of outgoing damage. Problem is most people don't know how the skill actually works and just throw it on people not actively being beaten on. 20% chance for 10% generic damage reduction is pretty good, especially for the duration and basically complete lack of cost.misunderstanding of a class. That's just not physically being there pushing any buttons.

Oooh I just reread it. So basically if the enemy strikes the barrier there is a 20% chance that all their outgoing damage is reduced by 10% for 20 seconds, not just the damage directed at the target of the skill. Is that right? Okay that makes a lot more sense then. I thought it was that a hit against the barrier had a 20% chance of doing 10% less damage which seemed lame.

Sakura

So I am playing a Lancer here, level 18.
Am I supposed to be using skills other than Heavy Thrust and Impulse Drive?

IvorB

You're a black mage, right?

Use E4E on the tank early into large pulls in dungeons, bask in commendations from healers and tanks who know what it does.

Receive awful (dyeable) gown on receipt of your 1500th commendation.

Well I've come across it levelling summoner but I guess I might as well chuck it on my black mage if it's useful, since I have spare slots.

iammeiam

Oooh I just reread it. So basically if the enemy strikes the barrier there is a 20% chance that all their outgoing damage is reduced by 10% for 20 seconds, not just the damage directed at the target of the skill. Is that right? Okay that makes a lot more sense then. I thought it was that a hit against the barrier had a 20% chance of doing 10% less damage which seemed lame.

Yep; if it procs it places a debuff on the attacker. It's pretty handy if you drop it early enough to give it a chance to proc.

Well I've come across it levelling summoner but I guess I might as well chuck it on my black mage if it's useful, since I have spare slots.

I use this macro to avoid fumbling with targets:

/micon {Eye for an Eye}
/ac {Eye for an Eye} <tt>

It applies E4E to your target's target, which will traditionally be the tank if you're targeting a mob. Curly brackets indicate auto-translation phrases.

Caj814

So what's considered the best rotation for DRK at 60 for single targets and multiple targets? Just unlocked the last ability which looks to be the burst damage move. Should it be used as part of your opener when starting a fight?

You're not wrong I think. They do just dump a bunch of skills on you.

Just today I saw a 54 Monk who stood in one spot and just mashed abilities.

Made no attempt at hitting positionals, just pounded on that boss from the front. I then understood why it was taking so long to kill the trash.

Ultimately you're going to run into people like that tutorial or no but FFXIV seems to have too many people like that running around from what I'm reading.

I guess newer players don't really understand how everything fits together even if they read the skills.

I'd bet that most of the people doing this have FFXIV as their first MMO, not to say that there aren't people who are playing FFXIV as their first MMO and have avoided these pitfalls.

Well, we'll see what this training grounds thing ends up turning out as. To be honest I am not optimistic unless they give you some way to measure your performance like a DPS meter for DPS.

Squishy3

Not until you unlock Full Thrust at level 26, which makes the total potency of 3 GCDs higher than higher than Impulse Drive. Then you'll only be using Heavy Thrust and True Thrust->Vorpal->Drive->Full Thrust until you get Disembowel, but even then you'll only be using that when it's time to reapply it.

Valor

When I first decided to tackle Machinist I did agree initially that just shoving a dozen or so skills at us and saying "lern it n00b" was overwhelming. However, breaking it down is pretty easy since you can guess the rotation based on the levels the skills were learned at. That's eventually how I figured the class out and set up my bars accordingly. It's a bit off putting at first, sure, and it definitely takes a bit of time to warm up to.

However I'm also not the type to just shelve something because it appears to be too difficult at first glance, so maybe personality types come into play here.

Also, in regards to the whole plethora of shit-tier DPS players out there - parsing is the only feedback loop I can think of that can positively reinforce good behavior.

Sifl

I went back on just to try to learn MCH, I'm disgusted with myself. It's not as bad as I remember from around 2 months ago when I first tried it. I still prefer the leveling up and getting 1 skill at a time though.

Garlador

I went back on just to try to learn MCH, I'm disgusted with myself. It's not as bad as I remember from around 2 months ago when I first tried it. I still prefer the leveling up and getting 1 skill at a time though.

I agree. Getting so many skills dumped in your lap is nice, but it's very difficult to get good with the class quickly. Getting skills drip-fed lets you acclimate to them, how they work in action, before moving on and learning something new.

For the new classes, it's a pretty big info overload. Not impossible, but not exactly graceful either.

Exactly, I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen people go out of their way to explain something and not just be a flat out complete jackass. DPS meters are the last thing this game needs. I'm more than happy to deal with bad dps and pick up the slack as a tank then deal with the shit storm caused by DPS meters.

Had a good time in Ravana Normal tonight.

I was checking out a PLD near the Limsa market board when my queue popped and ended up getting him in my Ravana group. It was pretty funny. Afterwards we added friends since things went so well.

I had forgotten about how fun WHM could be when you're pushed to manage between DPS/Healing in a long fight.

This limited mana is exhilarating! /ocelot

Exactly, I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen people go out of their way to explain something and not just be a flat out complete jackass. DPS meters are the last thing this game needs. I'm more than happy to deal with bad dps and pick up the slack as a tank then deal with the shit storm caused by DPS meters.

If they do add one it should only show your own numbers, not anyone else's.

WolvenOne

Took a bit of work, but operation smack Bismark around for funsies was a success, and we got a GAFer their clear too. Now we just need to get Grimm a clear, (which will subsequently also get me my ugly whale axe.

In other news, capped on Crafting Red Scrips for the first time ever, woot. Now I just need a few more weeks and I can actually start getting stuff that'll help my crafting.

In other other news, my static just lost our Bard, between work and other issues he just didn't feel he could give the group and game the attention it would need. So, need to find another support DPS.

Hooooooo boy.

Senpai </3...

There there Galen, there there.

I'll come visit you on Mars.

Anyone MCH expert got a good rotation/priority system they're using and could share? I've been trying to get back into and learn Gauss Barrel. I wanna see if I should start buying Esoterics for it or DRG.

My opener looks something like this:

(Hypercharge)
(Blood for Blood) (Gauss Round)
Hot Shot (Hawk's Eye) (Raging Strikes)
Lead Shot (Rapid Fire) (Reload)
Split Shot (Wildfire)
Slug Shot (Potion, otherwise skip)
Split Shot (Reassemble)
Clean Shot (Quick Reload) (Ricochet)
Slug Shot (Blank) (Head Graze)
Clean Shot (Gauss Round)

Once the opener is done I try to keep things on CD, but I like to save B4B and hawkeye for Wildfire, and Rapid Fires timer always matches up with Wildfire so I try to use them together as well. Other than that I try to keep as many things on CD as possible.

People are still using Feint as a pseudo Ruin II right? Or is that a no go now? Its got a slightly hefty TP cost so I've been wondering if it was the right thing to use. I try not to pop it unless I need to move extensively.

If they do add one it should only show your own numbers, not anyone else's.

I'd be fine with that.

Ken

Anyone MCH expert got a good rotation/priority system they're using and could share? I've been trying to get back into and learn Gauss Barrel. I wanna see if I should start buying Esoterics for it or DRG.

My opener looks something like this:

(Hypercharge)
(Blood for Blood) (Gauss Round)
Hot Shot (Hawk's Eye) (Raging Strikes)
Lead Shot (Rapid Fire) (Reload)
Split Shot (Wildfire)
Slug Shot (Potion, otherwise skip)
Split Shot (Reassemble)
Clean Shot (Quick Reload) (Ricochet)
Slug Shot (Blank) (Head Graze)
Clean Shot (Gauss Round)

Once the opener is done I try to keep things on CD, but I like to save B4B and hawkeye for Wildfire, and Rapid Fires timer always matches up with Wildfire so I try to use them together as well. Other than that I try to keep as many things on CD as possible.

People are still using Feint as a pseudo Ruin II right? Or is that a no go now? Its got a slightly hefty TP cost so I've been wondering if it was the right thing to use. I try not to pop it unless I need to move extensively.

I'd be fine with that.

Potion before Lead Shot cause that's your highest potency attack.

I don't do much with MCH but my rotation is:

Pre-pull HE, B4B, Hypercharge, Raging
Hot Shot
Potion
Lead Shot (Reload)
Split (Wildfire)
Slug (QR+Reassembled)
Clean (Rapid+Ricochet)
Split (Gauss Round)
Slug (Headgraze)
Split (Blank)
Clean
Slug (Wildfire explodes)

B4B gets held for the second Wildfire, and you can delay the second Wildfire by one or two GCD if trying to get a Split proc naturally because you'll only have QR for that Wildfire as far as ammo goes. Hypercharge when it comes up cause holding it for your own Wildfire is selfish!

We have other MCHs here who could help you better though since I only EXDR with mine.

ReaperXL7

Is DRK supposed to be so squishy at low lvls? I was running dungeons trying to push to 50 asap so I can start really getting into actual heavensward content and noticed that at level 35-36 i'm taking what seems like much more dmg then I did as either PLD or WAR.

Granted I don't have a large majority of my kit yet, but I pretty much keep Grit/Darkside up, and my D buffs on cooldown unless I know I need to save them for a boss or something. Its really become my favorite of the three tanks and its a lot of fun, it just feels like i'm taking too much damage at my currently level.

Also forgot what its like trying to keep emnity against people whos gear is far above yours, it actually seems much easier as DRK to do but still not always fun.

Ken

Is DRK supposed to be so squishy at low lvls? I was running dungeons trying to push to 50 asap so I can start really getting into actual heavensward content and noticed that at level 35-36 i'm taking what seems like much more dmg then I did as either PLD or WAR.

Granted I don't have a large majority of my kit yet, but I pretty much keep Grit/Darkside up, and my D buffs on cooldown unless I know I need to save them for a boss or something. Its really become my favorite of the three tanks and its a lot of fun, it just feels like i'm taking too much damage at my currently level.

Also forgot what its like trying to keep emnity against people whos gear is far above yours, it actually seems much easier as DRK to do but still not always fun.

That's funny cause you get your tank stance earlier than both PLD and WAR IIRC. WAR doesn't even get IB until several levels after Defiance!

ReaperXL7

That's funny cause you get your tank stance earlier than both PLD and WAR IIRC. WAR doesn't even get IB until several levels after Defiance!

Yeah you have grit as soon as you get DRK which is nice because PLD doesn't get shield oath until 40 if I remember right. It's much easier to hold hate as DRK so far but it can still get tough when I'm in lvl 30ish gear and I'm trying told hold against dps in heavensward gear that attack whatever they want regardless of what I mark

Deband

Is buying the game off psn the cheapest way to get started on the ps4? Don't think I need the expansion, but if there was some kind of pack of probably go for it.

Ken

Is buying the game off psn the cheapest way to get started on the ps4? Don't think I need the expansion, but if there was some kind of pack of probably go for it.

Game's $23 on Amazon.

Game went on sale on PSN not too long ago too IIRC so maybe it'll come back up in a future sale.

dramatis

Things I don't do or forget to do
Pre-pull HE, B4B, Hypercharge, Raging <- this whole line
Hot Shot
Potion <- this
Lead Shot (Reload)
Split (Wildfire) <- this
Slug (QR+Reassembled)
Clean (Rapid+Ricochet) <- this?
Split (Gauss Round) <- this?
Slug (Headgraze) <- this too?
Split (Blank) <- this
Clean
Slug (Wildfire explodes)
Ha.

Is DRK supposed to be so squishy at low lvls?

Probably a gear thing, as you suspected. In mid-range low-level dungeons, you'll always feel a little squishy if your gear isn't up to date, especially compared to if you're going in level-synced gear. This'll be particularly noticeable when you're doing dungeons designed around players having their level 45 AF gear, which DRK doesn't get. Bit of a rough patch but you'll feel a lot more solid at 50 (if you've got gear lined up), and from there, keeping up with gear is very easy up to 60. That was my experience, anyway. Also, worth remembering that you will get a self-heal in Soul Eater, which is a branch of what will become your main combo (Hard -> Syphon), and at 45, you can significantly amp it up with Dark Arts (and pair it with Bloodbath for a bit extra).

ReaperXL7

Probably a gear thing, as you suspected. In mid-range low-level dungeons, you'll always feel a little squishy if your gear isn't up to date, especially compared to if you're going in level-synced gear. This'll be particularly noticeable when you're doing dungeons designed around players having their level 45 AF gear, which DRK doesn't get. Bit of a rough patch but you'll feel a lot more solid at 50 (if you've got gear lined up), and from there, keeping up with gear is very easy up to 60. That was my experience, anyway. Also, worth remembering that you will get a self-heal in Soul Eater, which is a branch of what will become your main combo (Hard -> Syphon), and at 45, you can significantly amp it up with Dark Arts (and pair it with Bloodbath for a bit extra).

Yeah. Gear was where I thought the problem was stemming from I just wanted to find out if DRK was typically less sturdy than the other two. I mean PLD is alwas going to win in terms of pure defense but we will see how things go as I level.Basically what I have been doing for gear has been buying the gear off of the GC vendor every few levels and equiping any dungeon pieces I get as I lvl. It is abit weird to me that the dident give the new jobs some basic AF gear but I guess it makes sense since most already have gear to replace it with as soon as they hit 50 at this point.

The only thing I am going to need once I hit 50 is a weapon since I have all my poetics for tank ready. So I will have to farm some poetics to get a decent weapon.

Deband

Game's $23 on Amazon.

Game went on sale on PSN not too long ago too IIRC so maybe it'll come back up in a future sale.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK though and the game is £43.99 on amazon. Seems strangely over priced.

Edit. Actually it's 20. That other one must be a special edition or something.

Yeah. Gear was where I thought the problem was stemming from I just wanted to find out if DRK was typically less sturdy than the other two. I mean PLD is alwas going to win in terms of pure defense but we will see how things go as I level.Basically what I have been doing for gear has been buying the gear off of the GC vendor every few levels and equiping any dungeon pieces I get as I lvl. It is abit weird to me that the dident give the new jobs some basic AF gear but I guess it makes sense since most already have gear to replace it with as soon as they hit 50 at this point.

The only thing I am going to need once I hit 50 is a weapon since I have all my poetics for tank ready. So I will have to farm some poetics to get a decent weapon.

If you don't have an Encrypted Tomestone for the weapon lined up - crafted i115 (get HQ, NQ is worth i90) or Shiva weapons are perfectly fine and the HW dungeons all drop weapons. Dusk Vigil drops a weapon that's just as good as unupgraded Ironworks, so I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to do the CT weekly (or Final Coil if you can find bodies that are down for it, but then you might as well grind T13 for Dreadwyrm :V).

Omni

I hate healing Dark Knights. They're usually very squishy which means I'm stuck trying to micromanage them. Maybe it's just a gear thing but it's happened often enough for me to notice. All will be fine until their cooldowns run out and then suddenly they're losing 30-40% health a tick on medium sized pulls in dungeons.

Other tanking jobs don't seem as bad //shrug.

Getting back into this after a few months off. Level 38 right now, I can hold off buying the expansion untill I hit the level cap right?
Yup!

Arkeband

Banned

It's this way because originally Impulse Drive had a positional requirement, which meant it was only spammable sometimes.

Then they removed that (and I think they also buffed it), not realizing they unintentionally made it better than using all the rest of your moves until at least level 26 when you get Full Thrust. So instead of worrying about balance while leveling, they just threw their hands up in the air.

If you're worried about useless abilities, the only ones useless at max level are Piercing Talon (the TP cost is generally too high to consider using this) and Feint (because other people can apply Slow and the move sucks)

edit: also, save yourself humiliation and don't cross-class Fracture, it's a DPS loss once you get your full rotation.

Top Bottom