• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Redx508

I recently started doing Seal Rock, and I wasn't expecting to like it but I actually find it fun. The only thing I don't like is that the "leaders" doing the callouts aren't doing as well as they think they are most of the time. So many times people splinter from the group to chase, and there's no callout or warning to get back. Then when they get killed and it causes us to lose a tower, he chastises them even though he didn't do a single callout for around 2 minutes.

yea pvp can be hit or miss is bad when you have more than one so call leaders doing different calls

What? No

They are called HEALers, they should only be HEALing. Stop trying to get them to do DPS, that's not their job.
Yeah no. Only garbage players think this.

The CNJ's questline is entirely spent on saying you have to do more then heal. Not to mention that healers in this game had powerful enough heals that if you do nothing but heal you'll spend half the fight doing nothing.

FFXIV is a game in which everyone, not just the "DPS" classes, is expected to contribute to damage. It's simply the way the game is designed.

aceface

The CNJ's questline is entirely spent on saying you have to do more then heal. Not to mention that healers in this game had powerful enough heals that if you do nothing but heal you'll spend half the fight doing nothing.

FFXIV is a game in which everyone, not just the "DPS" classes, is expected to contribute to damage. It's simply the way the game is designed.

Let me introduce you to Asami...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Didn't Yoshi say the Savage fights were designed without healer DPS in mind?

Didn't Yoshi say the Savage fights were designed without healer DPS in mind?

If you have maxed out 210 gear, it can. Because they turned the fights assuming no Healer DPS with that level of gear.

Since that's absurdly impractical for raid groups, especially since I still don't know if it's even possible to have full 210 gear Healers need to DPS.

Not to mention the simple fact that, as mentioned, Healers are strong enough in healing that if you do nothing but heal you'll be doing nothing half the time.

Which is boring as sin.

Omni

What does it mean to "activate" a linkshell?

I'm in two and see the option above my second one (of which I've noticed hasn't been very active... in fact it seems quite dead). Do you miss out on conversation if they're not active?

Tomat

Think it means whichever linkshell the linkshell windows defaults to whenever you open the window. You don't miss any conversations.

Can anyone help me out with this? I just bought the expansion and resubbed and when I log in I get this "No valid account is available to play Final Fantasy XIV". I bought the base game when ARR came out so I don't know what it's talking about..

Ken

Can anyone help me out with this? I just bought the expansion and resubbed and when I log in I get this "No valid account is available to play Final Fantasy XIV". I bought the base game when ARR came out so I don't know what it's talking about..

Apparently people say that's the game yelling at you to resub but if you already resub'd...

PC, Steam or Playstation?

Apparently people say that's the game yelling at you to resub but if you already resub'd...

PC, Steam or Playstation?

PC. Does it usually take time for the game to recognize that I've resubbed? On the MogStation it still says I'm inactive despite having my CC charged.

Edit: Nevermind it just decided to work.

Sifl

Aether Mael's are garbage most of the time to. The last match I had the leader was ordering us to run away the whole match, we had around 100 points at the end.

plake

So are other Europeans thinking of going to the EU data center? I know I am.

I love GAF on Ultros but the game is just too dead playing on a US server as a European. Would love to change servers with a bunch of gaffers, but if not I'll just take my chances.

I'll write in the GAF FC Forums too.

/Dani

Squishy3

i started playing pvp today and already hate adders

thanks adders

i take that back adders for life (thanks mael and flames for fighting over one node while we remain completely safe with an A and a B north and repeatedly get blessed by rngesus spawning new nodes in the same two locations)

Sifl

I feel like I need to switch to the Flames, they win every match in Aether. Idk what the Adders are doing, but they are somehow more incompetent then us.

SkyOdin

This is only true for the bleeding edge of raiding. Outside of progression raid groups, it isn't that critically important. For people like me who stick to daily roulettes, Alex normal, and the 24-man raids, it isn't a big deal whether or not the healer DPSs. If I am running that kind of content, I think it is entirely up to the healer whether or not they DPS. Some healers see DPSing as a hobby and enjoy doing what damage they can. Other healers just like healing. Any playstyle is fine, since what is important is that everyone has fun.

Demanding that everyone do things in a certain high-efficency way is best saved for your raid static.

This is only true for the bleeding edge of raiding. Outside of progression raid groups, it isn't that critically important. For people like me who stick to daily roulettes, Alex normal, and the 24-man raids, it isn't a big deal whether or not the healer DPSs. If I am running that kind of content, I think it is entirely up to the healer whether or not they DPS. Some healers see DPSing as a hobby and enjoy doing what damage they can. Other healers just like healing. Any playstyle is fine, since what is important is that everyone has fun.

Demanding that everyone do things in a certain high-efficency way is best saved for your raid static.

I remember Yoshida saying something about how they tune some fights (can't remember which ones specifically) to damage from the tanks and dps but not healers. I've yet to see any healers get called garbage in all the groups I've been in over the course of my time with the game for not DPSing. People just want you to heal and keep them alive, doing some damage is just a bonus because naturally people aren't going to want you to switch stances if you are not comfortable with it and aren't able to judge when you should do so during a fight.

Ultra Elite teams can do whatever, but in general DPSing is just not expected for healers, healing is the number one thing people want out of healers, just like tanks are expected to hold aggro, if they know how to do high damage stuff then that's a bonus. For DPS since damage is its main contribution I suppose people would like that to be as high as possible. In that case I think people are fine if the damage DPS provides is just enough to pass any checks like the Ramuh adds.

Sorian

Banned

Got another one. Trap cards activating everywhere.

Tabris

Ultra Elite teams can do whatever, but in general DPSing is just not expected for healers, healing is the number one thing people want out of healers, just like tanks are expected to hold aggro, if they know how to do high damage stuff then that's a bonus

Healers are 100% expected to DPS by a lot of players. Not only because it's super easy to heal in this game except in progression situations so you are just sitting there doing nothing half the time when not DPSing, but also if you don't DPS, you waste everyones time as everything takes longer.

There's no excuse for not DPSing as a healer as it's lazy play.

Tomat

Healers are 100% expected to DPS by a lot of players. Not only because it's super easy to heal in this game except in progression situations so you are just sitting there doing nothing half the time when not DPSing, but also if you don't DPS, you waste everyones time as everything takes longer.

Outside of raiding I don't think most players are concerned about wasting time.

Tomat

A lot of players are. I don't want to waste 5 more mins in some stupid dungeon because the healer confused what netflix and chill means.
Is it really worth it to get mad over an extra 5 minutes?

Why are so many players in this game always mad?

For the record, I'm not aaying healers shouldn't DPS. Not DPSing is lazy. I just don't get super bent out of shape when they don't in DF unless I'm in there for an extra 15+ minutes, in which case there's some goofy shit going on. Only two things really piss me off in DF. There's probably more but these two stand out:

1. /follow scholars
2. Auto Attack bards in CT.

I say all this but I'm sure I've gotten mad at a healer for not DPSing before. Maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Don't know what a lot of players means in this case. I'm just speaking from what I have seen from playing on Ultros and forums that healers only need to keep people from dying as their required/bare minimum contribution to the party.

Not going to touch the "wasting time" thing since that's been done to death already.

SkyOdin

I'm sorry, but it is the rude people who rush things along and make demands from other players to satisfy their recklessness who get everyone killed and slow everyone down. I'd rather lose fifteen minutes to helping a newbie learn the dungeon than deal with a single player who demands everyone else to run the dungeon at top speed. I'd much rather have a fun dungeon experience with friendly people that takes time than stress out about maxing DPS and getting through things as fast as possible. If I ended up in a group with someone who started yelling at the healer to DPS, I'd just drop.

Xux

Dammit, PVP queue; guess I'm doing three Expert Roulettes tomorrow.
Can anything be done about npc text boxes? I play on a 55" tv from 6 feet away and I have to strain my eyes to barely make the words out.
No, you either play at a lower resolution or read it through the Event tab on the chat window.

Sifl

I guess if there was someone new (especially the tank) I can understand not wanting to dps to be safe. Assuming it's a dungeon you've done and the other people have done, I don't see why you'd be hesitant to dps or offended if someone asked. Luckily most healers I get matched up with in Ex Roulette have the same intentions, to finish it as fast as possible.

A lot of players are. I don't want to waste 5 more mins in some stupid dungeon because the healer confused what netflix and chill means.

Count me in that camp. What makes it worse are the ones that do a massive amount of over healing, and then they get pissed at you when you stance dance on bosses that don't do a lot of damage (see pretty much every boss in Neverreap). Those are the ones you know are watching netflix/hulu. I've always thought that's why some healers argue against. I mean who doesn't wanna lose the ability to cruise through a dungeon while streaming something online.

Even when I leveled WHM and SCH to 50 I was kind of surprised how easy it is to get away with DPS in between heals in dungeons. People that couldn't dodge for shit were even a non-factor, and that was what I was worried about the most.

I suppose what this really boils down to is whether or not you wanna play with people that are being half-assed, and that goes for more than just healers.

Tabris

Wonder if they would appreciate their tank running up to a group of mobs and clicking flash a couple times. then waiting for their mp. repeating for every pull. No cooldowns or DPSing. Because they are too busy watching tv.

That's what the equivalent of those Regen + Cure 1/2 healers are.

Ken

For every DF healer that doesn't DPS there's 3 other DF DPS that do half of what their DPS should be but you can't call them out on it. That's why I kind of can't be bothered to ask DF healers to DPS.

Omni

On the topic of healing and dps...

I just LOVE being abused by DPS in Ravana Extreme because I switch to Cleric Stance during his liberation moves. There's no outwards damage being cast by him... what am I suppose to do? Ugh. If you're dying immediately after it's your own fault for not paying attention to the AoEs and the mechanics.

Trying to clear that is going to be the end of me.

iammeiam

Wonder if they would appreciate their tank running up to a group of mobs and clicking flash a couple times. then waiting for their mp. repeating for every pull. No cooldowns or DPSing. Because they are too busy watching tv.

That's what the equivalent of those Regen + Cure 1/2 healers are.

You say this like 1-2-3 single target tanks who might aoe threat once or twice a pull are particularly rare. A tank that actually rotates cooldowns and proactively manages threat is the exception. The playerbase is such that you end up with people like that in every job; healers who don't DPS, tanks who think putting up kill order markers in level 60 dungeons absolves them of the need to AOE threat, DPS that just kind of hit random buttons. Compensating for shortcomings in random DF party members has become the only moderately involving thing left in EXDR, but if I don't feel like dealing with it there's always running premade.

I will say that in a lot of cases I don't think non-DPS healers are lazy, since there tends to be a lot of overlap between healers that don't DPS and healers that don't have any idea how to handle a situation that calls for anything beyond just two or three basic heal buttons. I notice it more after spending a while doing EXDR on healer just because it seems like it'd be mind-numbing to have nothing to do, but then somebody pulls an unexpected mob and the healer melts down and everything is awful and it becomes apparent they're not lazy, they're just not very comfrortable and are spending the entire time waiting to panic.

Alternately, the brain-melting tedium that is leveling THM to get Swiftcast has put them off the entire concept of damage dealing forever.

I will say that in a lot of cases I don't think non-DPS healers are lazy, since there tends to be a lot of overlap between healers that don't DPS and healers that don't have any idea how to handle a situation that calls for anything beyond just two or three basic heal buttons. I notice it more after spending a while doing EXDR on healer just because it seems like it'd be mind-numbing to have nothing to do, but then somebody pulls an unexpected mob and the healer melts down and everything is awful and it becomes apparent they're not lazy, they're just not very comfrortable and are spending the entire time waiting to panic.

Yeah but the learning phase isn't forever at some point people are gonna learn either by brains or grave(death), or they just never are. I would even add if there's that much tension in waiting for the doomsday event how do we get across that the bomb in a majority of cases won't drop. Its that kind of play style thats also pervasive in tanking-people hold on to their CDs waiting for that one moment when they get destroyed and a lot times its too late for the CD to make a difference. More often than not it never comes which puts extra pressure on the healers during big pulls. In my opinion people with that kind of mindset probably shouldn't be in those 2 positions at all if they can never get over the fear, but of course that would probably extend DF que times to even longer than now, and nobody wants that.

There's already a lack of healers/tanks, which is why I bite my teeth and bear it to keep the peace, but I come across a lot of half-assed, over heal to infinnity players than career healers looking to push every oz. of performance out of the class.

I guess I would ask at what point do we consider the training wheels off and the half-assed factor begins. I'm willing to cut some slack for first timers, but not people I see in full on ESO gear-yeah gear is a bad metric, but its all most people have to go on since there isn't a good way to rate performance in this game outside of "did you die?, did the mob die?" and commendations (facebook likes).

Ken

I usually just check to see if anyone has current raid gear. If none I'll go get some snacks and a pillow for 30+ minute run.

docbon

Are you a ninja? Do you do sick deeps?

pls join my static!!!

We've reached the add phase of A3S, but our black mage is quitting the game. If you're interested, send Lorde Doome or Red Xiii a tell ingame, or PM me on gaf for more additional info. We're currently running between the hours of 7:00-9:00 PM ET on TUE/THU/SAT, but can push raid time a little later if need be.

Valor

I usually just check to see if anyone has current raid gear. If none I'll go get some snacks and a pillow for 30+ minute run.

This is pretty much me. Most of my EXDRs lately involve a fun game where I try to see how easily I can pull off of this tank with an i160 weapon. I realize the game will be flipped when Soapy finally hits 60, so maybe karma is a thing.

I just started a free trial of this on the weekend (EU Odin server), have a couple new player questions hopefully someone can help with:

- Is it recommended to use keyboard and mouse on PS4? I'm using the control pad so far and it seems a bit clunky (especially for UI navigation)... not sure if you just 'get used' to it over time?
- Following on, from what I understand PS4 and PC players are all pooled in together with another. Is there a distinct advantage playing on PC? I'm not interested really in PVP but just want to do the story content and some dungeons, maybe raids eventually.
- What's the difficulty curve like? Is it akin to the old days of Classic WoW where you need to spend hours clearing a 5 man and a week prepping for a raid?
- Is the Dungeon & Raid setup similar to WoW? Is there a group finder? Can you catchup on the older content this way or do people only run the latest stuff?
- Is it recommended to just stick with a single Job all the way whilst levelling, or should I explore the other classes along the way? I'm levelling as a Lancer.

Thanks! :)

Ken

I just started a free trial of this on the weekend (EU Odin server), have a couple new player questions hopefully someone can help with:

- Is it recommended to use keyboard and mouse on PS4? I'm using the control pad so far and it seems a bit clunky (especially for UI navigation)... not sure if you just 'get used' to it over time?
- Following on, from what I understand PS4 and PC players are all pooled in together with another. Is there a distinct advantage playing on PC? I'm not interested really in PVP but just want to do the story content and some dungeons, maybe raids eventually.
- What's the difficulty curve like? Is it akin to the old days of Classic WoW where you need to spend hours clearing a 5 man and a week prepping for a raid?
- Is the Dungeon & Raid setup similar to WoW? Is there a group finder? Can you catchup on the older content this way or do people only run the latest stuff?
- Is it recommended to just stick with a single Job all the way whilst levelling, or should I explore the other classes along the way? I'm levelling as a Lancer.

Thanks! :)

-Both control interfaces are fine. What do you mean by control pad? If you mean trying to use the touch pad as a virtual mouse, just click into the touch pad and it'll bounce around through all the important UI elements.

-Advantage of PC besides the technical ones is that you can use third party programs with the game like WTFast for potentially better connection speed or ACT for parsing and other automated stuff like call-outs. Also having VOIP programs in the background is convenient and usually mandatory for pugs.

-Majority of stuff is pretty low learning curve until endgame. There's raids that can take weeks or months to clear and trials (boss fights) that can take a few days to a week to learn.

-There's automatic player matching (duty finder) for most things but the current "difficult" content. Those get shuffled in when the next tier of difficult stuff gets put out. There's a Party Finder too which is like bulletin board style. You can usually find people running old content for vanity if you searched around.

-You can try as much as you want. You don't really have to commit to a job until you reach end game gearing.

Awesome - thanks. With the controls i was referring to general UI navigation mostly using the PS4 controller - having to go into lots of sub menus to do stuff like emotes and inventory management that I guess you take for granted when playing with a keyboard.

Omni

I think it's a good idea to at least have a keyboard plugged in to your PS4 so you can actually respond to messages and whatnot quickly. Also once you set up your hotbars it becomes a lot less clunky to navigate the UI.

IvorB

So are other Europeans thinking of going to the EU data center? I know I am.

I love GAF on Ultros but the game is just too dead playing on a US server as a European. Would love to change servers with a bunch of gaffers, but if not I'll just take my chances.

I'll write in the GAF FC Forums too.

/Dani

Which server were you thinking?

IvorB

Awesome - thanks. With the controls i was referring to general UI navigation mostly using the PS4 controller - having to go into lots of sub menus to do stuff like emotes and inventory management that I guess you take for granted when playing with a keyboard.

Nah everything is really easy and intuitive with the controller once you get used to it.

Top Bottom