• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tash

How do you get these new mounts? :(

I'm so confused, so much new shit happening all together

Unlocked flight in Cohertas tho! <3

That's the Griffin mount from the CEr boni.

You'll get three mounts from the MSQ (
Black Chocobo, Manacutter and Midgardsomr
) and you can unlock flying for your own chocos through a side quest. You can also get a Twintania mount through the "recruit a friend" program.

Munba

The music (both day and night) that plays in Hinterlands is perfect for what lies there... it gives an
ancient civilization
vibe. And the zone itself is beautiful (it reminds me a bit
Laputa's ancient city, with the buildings covered by nature and trees
), with a nice cavern to explore too.

Hasney

Got locked out of the story for the first time last night, but luckily there's a shitton of side quests that unlock in the Dravanian Hinterlands after the last story mission I did. I'll go hoover those up tonight, but I got stuck looking for bloody nests and couldn't find more than 1, so I just went to bed. Still, I can fly around there now so hopefully that helps.

Baleoce

No bard fixes. A number of the problems are probably part and parcel of the new mage play style (Heavy Shot cannot be queued after Repelling without interrupt, inability to immediately use Straighter Shot when it procs (which was like the best part of old bard! queueing the proc before the icon even highlighted!), lag between DoT application and it counting for Sidewinder), but at the very least fixing 'periodically incapable of performing any actions until Bloodletter comes off CD' would be nice.
When you cancel wanderers minuet, if you use a move like heavy shot straight after, it still has a cast.

Vanmunt

Banned
Booted up FF14 for the first time in 8 months, its going to take a while to get up to speed!!!

Any gaffer's on Ragnarok? I need a FC as I seem to have been booted out of mine (no surprise after not logging for so long!)

Character: Valar Morghulis

Kouriozan

Yay, Griffin + awesome mount music get, he looks truly majestic.

irZfPIJ.jpg

Stuart444

So I did one dungeon run today just so I could record it, Sohm Al. (Spoilers if you haven't gotten to it obviously).

Besides the fact that I was very tired and it was my second time running it, I think it went okay. Learned a few new things with the second and third bosses:

Second: If your dps isn't fast enough to kill the smaller adds (my first run, we killed the adds all the time and didn't get the markers at all iirc) or you just don't care. just do the stack/spread thing you may remember from Coil. Red = Stack, Blue = Spread. Also green thing hurts if it gets a chance to use it's skill :(.

Last boss: 2 comets during the first phase, 3 in the final phase. Not sure if we're allowed to stack together or not since unlike T9, they don't leave comets down to explode if another touches it lol. Which was why I moved to the back in the final comet set. Also I didn't notice Chaos blast or the small ring at all before I died. I got totally rekt'd lol. Hit from all sides :(.

I have really enjoyed the first two dungeons, I hope the next one (Aery or something?) is just as good as the first two.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So on Excalibur, they removed instancing from Coerthas and Sea of Clouds and added it to Forelands and Churning Mists. Which is now supremely annoying because there's no zoning line in Mists so you can't swap at will.

Baleoce

So on Excalibur, they removed instancing from Coerthas and Sea of Clouds and added it to Forelands and Churning Mists. Which is now supremely annoying because there's no zoning line in Mists so you can't swap at will.

Does it not offer you the choice after you've spoken to the wyrm that zones you into the mists? (I agree, it's a bit of a ballache though, they should have done this like guild wars 2, and put people in a queue to get into the primary instance of a zone, or at least have some intuitive option for being able to zone into the same instance as party members.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Does it not offer you the choice after you've spoken to the wyrm that zones you into the mists? (I agree, it's a bit of a ballache though, they should have done this like guild wars 2, and put people in a queue to get into the primary instance of a zone, or at least have some intuitive option for being able to zone into the same instance as party members.)

No, the dragon acts as a teleport

iammeiam

Huh. How does this work with A-ranks? Does each instance get their own? Given how rapidly the hunt thirst is going to pick up as people acquire law gear, that could get pretty funny pretty fast.

Baleoce

No, the dragon acts as a teleport

That's a silly oversight.

Huh. How does this work with A-ranks? Does each instance get their own? Given how rapidly the hunt thirst is going to pick up as people acquire law gear, that could get pretty funny pretty fast.

Oh wow, never considered this. S ranks should be funny if servers like Excalibur get onto them en masse when the instance system is still active.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Each instance has its own A-ranks so you get to play teleport lotto!

T-0800

Hope it's ok to ask here but does this really cost $20AU a month to play? Looking for $AU figure. Seems awfully high when you have to buy the game on top of that.

Valor

I actually recorded this happening earlier today because I wanted evidence that it's just flat-out broken.

This is 15 seconds of a boss fight from a level 60 dungeon so kind of spoilers I guess, but it's a pretty good example. I use Bloodletter right before the boss jumps; since there are no DoTs ticking, River of Blood can't proc and Bloodletter takes 15 seconds to reset. I am completely incapable of getting a skill to trigger during that time. As soon as Bloodletter is back up, buttons work again.
I never had this happen to me until I hit 60 and it's the most annoying thing I've experienced in this game, and I talk to Scything on a regular basis. I hope they fix this rather soon but as long as it's done before Alexander-chan then I don't mind.

These are kind of more shitty design features to me--EA has a 1.5 second cast time; unless you're using it after a proc'd Straight Shot, using it after anything is pretty much going to delay your GCD (1.5 second cast time for the GCD + 1.5 second cast time for EA = gg), and while IJ actually snapshotting DoTs would be amazing they seem to really want to keep Bard DPS down and letting us prolong opener DoTs forever/until a jump would go against that.
My PS4 Math&#8482; figures that clipping barely into your gcds to drop EA is going to usually be worth it. I'm also a scrub and will not give up the two oGCD dream in order to cycle my buffs effectively. I don't want to just pop one at a time :<

Also I'm pretty sure I have the Iron Jaws complaints figured out. You guys are upset IJ doesn't keep your initially applied dots when you refresh them, right? Because whenever you cast IJ it snapshots your dots again. Helps immensely on the opener, I feel, so I wouldn't necessarily mind keeping it the way that it is. It's kind of nice to drop IJ when a ninja hits TA or when your buffs are back up instead of taking two gcds to reapply the dots.

Fehyd

Banned
Looks like lots of the new voice actors are Dragon Age graduates. Seems they used a studio in London, which would explain the loss of some LA talent.

IMBored

Also I'm pretty sure I have the Iron Jaws complaints figured out. You guys are upset IJ doesn't keep your initially applied dots when you refresh them, right? Because whenever you cast IJ it snapshots your dots again. Helps immensely on the opener, I feel, so I wouldn't necessarily mind keeping it the way that it is. It's kind of nice to drop IJ when a ninja hits TA or when your buffs are back up instead of taking two gcds to reapply the dots.

The good thing is that you can buff up before you IJ. It isn't nice that, unlike bane, it doesn't keep the initial buff and has a cast time, making it risky to use.

Helloween

Booted up FF14 for the first time in 8 months, its going to take a while to get up to speed!!!

Any gaffer's on Ragnarok? I need a FC as I seem to have been booted out of mine (no surprise after not logging for so long!)

Character: Valar Morghulis
Yeah a couple of us. I'll try and whisper you in game later if you like. Character is revy grants

Semper88

So i bought the digital CE on the psn store on early launch day (had a early acces code from a retailer).

But no griffin and Mogstation says I don't own HW + CE either..

halp?

Munba

The sidequests in general are very horrible and repetitive like hell but... the
Matoya's Cave
sidequests are nice. Exploration and riddles (and funny). Love them. :D

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Every dungeon except for Facility and Dusk Vigil have been confirmed to have a minion at the end and three more come from crafting. Griffin and Behemoth come from hunt vendor. Nobody knows where the emperor puppy is acquired from but it could be either Dusk Vigil or ventures.

Mikeside

So I'm really interested in FFXIV, but I never feel like I have time to go all-in with an MMO

I really enjoyed my time with WoW, but that was years ago & I found I was spending more time grinding for levels than enjoying myself.

Does the game have enough solo content to keep me busy for a long while?
Is it easy, as a casual player (I'll probably play twice or maybe three times a week for a few hours), to find groups to do the non-soloable content?

Hasney

So I'm really interested in FFXIV, but I never feel like I have time to go all-in with an MMO

I really enjoyed my time with WoW, but that was years ago & I found I was spending more time grinding for levels than enjoying myself.

Is it easy, as a casual player (I'll probably play twice or maybe three times a week for a few hours), to find groups to do the non-soloable content?

Oh yeah, if you've got enough spare time, you could probably knock out the story content in the free 30 days you get for buying it, but a few hours a day a few times a week, you've got a few months for the story I think. You still have to group for dungeons and trials as part of the story, but duty finder usually makes that easy enough to blast through them as well.

Mikeside

Oh yeah, if you've got enough spare time, you could probably knock out the story content in the free 30 days you get for buying it, but a few hours a day a few times a week, you've got a few months for the story I think. You still have to group for dungeons and trials as part of the story, but duty finder usually makes that easy enough to blast through them as well.

Nice one. For a tenner, I'm sold. Purchase incoming in a couple of weeks.

IvorB

Yes, there is a good amount of solo content and, yes, duty finder makes it easy to find groups although the wait times will vary. If you decide to take the plunge I'd happily supply you a referral code to get really good in game items...

I uploaded another vid from the weekend. It's a taste of the Ravana fight for those that haven't seen it. It's certainly one of the most visually striking primals and has great music. :)

Ochibi

The sidequests in general are very horrible and repetitive like hell but... the
Matoya's Cave
sidequests are nice. Exploration and riddles (and funny). Love them. :D

I swear there are way more sidequests (which some are useless, I hate you Moogle) than ARR lol

Ochibi

They are pretty useful for leveling. Except for the moogle ones, they break your soul more than fate farming.

Yeah I needed them because it requires lvl 56 to continue the main story. I was lvl 55 half and it was at Dravania with Moogles. Dammit these abandoned nests

Valor

The good thing is that you can buff up before you IJ. It isn't nice that, unlike bane, it doesn't keep the initial buff and has a cast time, making it risky to use.

I haven't had too much of an issue using it within the cast time. It's relatively easy to go an entire boss fight keeping 100% dot uptime, and it makes it way easier than dropping like 160 TP every so often for your dots.

The biggest challenge comes from all the other nonsense going on it fights that it's pretty easy to miss IJ and have to rebuff, but it's only two gcds, so it isn't too bad. You don't even have to pop your buffs when you re-dot, you can do it at any time once they're up.

I think the positives of Iron Jaws outweigh the negatives. I mean, sure. It'd be nice if you could keep your initial potency of your dots with Jaws, and it would make any dps issue much better, but then it might flirt with the inevitable nerf territory that SMN has set up a vacation house in.

I think the bigger issue might be EA's cast time since it's awkward almost every time you cast it. Sometimes bard feels a bit clunky, which I hope they can smooth out.

Top Bottom