• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm this close to abandon leveling up my Bard (54) and play something else instead... I hate that they changed the playstyle by introducing Wanderer's Minuet. It's not even about DPS: I don't like to be stationary and cast "spells" (except when I'm healing, for some reason). They really rustled my jimmies with those changes. I feel like we lost all the fun of our job.
Considering switching to Bard after playing Machinist for a while. Leveled it to 40 recently and it seems like a good bit of fun. I've noticed that I tend to sit still as a Bard unless a mechanic necessitates moving (BLM habits die hard) so I'm wondering if I would be all that bothered by WM.

Kyari

Oh, huh. The live letter kind of implied this return to eorzea campaign would be a free month for people that were unsubbed... but I guess its actually just free i120 gear for people that were unsubbed but start subbing from today?

WolvenOne

Considering switching to Bard after playing Machinist for a while. Leveled it to 40 recently and it seems like a good bit of fun. I've noticed that I tend to sit still as a Bard unless a mechanic necessitates moving (BLM habits die hard) so I'm wondering if I would be all that bothered by WM.

I've heard lots of complaints about Machinist. Is it really that flawed?

PikkonX

So would there be any benefit at all for me to pick up the expansion if I don't have a level 50 character? I think I'm still level 43 or so.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've heard lots of complaints about Machinist. Is it really that flawed?
Hard for me to say because I'm not all that sure I'm playing it correctly. There are times where I feel like I'm doing everything right and the damage still feels underwhelming. There are things I like about the job for sure but the whole proc based combo with terrible RNG bothers me. Having to constantly replace my robot buddy because they can't move despite being able to fly. The heavy and snare feel incredibly situational, same with the 100 potency knock back that people flip their shit (rightly so most of the time) when you use it.

I still enjoy it in a way and will at the very least revisit it later if I choose not to level it right now. I don't want to write it off because I could simply be bad at it. Ultimately I'm not happy with it right now and it certainly wasn't what I expected.

I agree with a lot of what this guy had to say about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3asv0s/my_feelings_on_machinist/?

WolvenOne

So would there be any benefit at all for me to pick up the expansion if I don't have a level 50 character? I think I'm still level 43 or so.

Well, you can put off the expansion for awhile. However you'll probably want to grab it once you hit level 50. You'll get XP for doing the level 50 quests, XP that'll make getting to level 60 considerably easier. However that XP will go to waste if you haven't unlocked the level 60 cap. (Without the expansion you're capped at 50.)

Considering how quickly you can get 50 from 43 with the leveling frenzy right now, you should definitely pick up the xpac so you don't hit a wall. That is unless you want to complete every bit of pre-xpac content before you move on to the xpac, which is a bit counter-intuitive since you won't get xp for a lot of it, but you're certainly free to do so.

PikkonX

Well, you can put off the expansion for awhile. However you'll probably want to grab it once you hit level 50. You'll get XP for doing the level 50 quests, XP that'll make getting to level 60 considerably easier. However that XP will go to waste if you haven't unlocked the level 60 cap. (Without the expansion you're capped at 50.)

Thanks for the info, that's what I'll do. Now to remember how to be a WHM for these next 7 levels.

PikkonX

Considering how quickly you can get 50 from 43 with the leveling frenzy right now, you should definitely pick up the xpac so you don't hit a wall. That is unless you want to complete every bit of pre-xpac content before you move on to the xpac, which is a bit counter-intuitive since you won't get xp for a lot of it, but you're certainly free to do so.

That's another good point lol. I've no clue what's been added in the last year or so, but I know I want to see the Gold Saucer.

That's another good point lol. I've no clue what's been added in the last year or so, but I know I want to see the Gold Saucer.

The issue you'll sort of run into is that at 50 you unlock a bunch of dungeons/primals from ARR but you technically don't need any of them to continue on with the story or leveling into the xpac. However, you don't have access to high/ex roulettes then which is another great source for xp when leveling beyond 50, though again not required. If I was in your situation I'd probably just continue going on and forget about the older dungeons. There's A LOT of them. Like, a lot. I'm honestly surprised how many level 50 bullshit dungeons there are.

Roxas

Wow, what a couple of hours that was. First the awesome
Vault
dungeon with three excellent bosses (and conclusion to the dungeon) and then the
Bismark
battle shortly after.

Need a breather now.

tariniel

I'm really excited to get home and finally get my fantasia to become a dragonman. That is, unless the servers and queues are straight fucked because it's official launch.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hard for me to say because I'm not all that sure I'm playing it correctly. There are times where I feel like I'm doing everything right and the damage still feels underwhelming. There are things I like about the job for sure but the whole proc based combo with terrible RNG bothers me. Having to constantly replace my robot buddy because they can't move despite being able to fly. The heavy and snare feel incredibly situational, same with the 100 potency knock back that people flip their shit (rightly so most of the time) when you use it.

I still enjoy it in a way and will at the very least revisit it later if I choose not to level it right now. I don't want to write it off because I could simply be bad at it. Ultimately I'm not happy with it right now and it certainly wasn't what I expected.

I agree with a lot of what this guy had to say about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3asv0s/my_feelings_on_machinist/?

Sad thingg is that I have fun playinng the class, but the low dps and its dependance in RNG is a bit disheartning. I think Ill wait for them to iron some of the issues to keep levelling it later. And I really wanted this class to be my main DPS class.

Tash

Btw, it kinda sucks that by the time you get all the Currents/Quests the MSQ sends you to a new area :|

There are side quests unlocked as you level and npcs will be in places you can't reach without flying. Lots to explore and go back to I realised. J die feel the same way initially, though.

Kouriozan

I need to do the Aery for the story, but I'm starting to be scared it might be difficult or end up with a bad party.
Thankfully, my brother (who already finished the story and started farming gears) is willing to help me and I already know all the strats, so I'm really just having social anxiety.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I need to do the Aery for the story, but I'm starting to be scared it might be difficult or end up with a bad party.
Thankfully, my brother (who already finished the story and started farming gears) is willing to help me and I already know all the strats, so I'm really just having social anxiety.

Its just a game, bro. Random internet people do no harm.

Teknoman

I've never seen Flames of Truth...wow.

I learned this by facing T6 not too long ago in duty finder. Just go in and do your best. If even remotely know your job, whether or not you're perfect on a strat, people wont try to just completely tear you down. And being a brand new dungeon from a fresh expansion, just go in and learn from the bottom up.

Everyone, even pros at coil, extreme primals, and most likely within Alexander, had to start somewhere and actually learn fights / come up with strategies. I've been around since alpha 1.0, even XI, and never had that issue until hearing and seeing people start complaining about randoms in coil. The thing is, there are alot of people that dont really know how to play whatever job they chose, but there are also alot who do have a grasp on their skills and role...just might not plow through content as fast as others. Have faith in your abilities...the fun in any RPG worth its salt is encountering a difficult challenge and then surpassing it.

If you fail, ask questions, think about what caused you and your team to fail, and then circumvent that the next go around.

Hasney

It's fairly easy.
Eat poisons without being stacked on the penultimate boss and the final boss is a joke as long as the healer keeps the NPC healed too

evanmisha

Picking this up after what seems like forever. Any good guides or in-game content to help remind me how to play? I'm kinda lost. I suppose I already breezed through all the content designed to teach me how to play back when I started.

Kouriozan

It's fairly easy.
Eat poisons without being stacked on the penultimate boss and the final boss is a joke as long as the healer keeps the NPC healed too
And I heard the next dungeon and trial is fairly easy as well.
I'm also excited to start the nearly infinite moogle hide and seek games :lol

Cmagus

It's fairly easy.
Pretty much, The Aery is one of the easiest dungeons in the game so far. Every boss has 1 main mechanic really and the trash mobs are easy enough plus you can skip a bunch of the enemies. You'll also need to run it a dozen times to level from 56-57 so you'll be a pro in no time.

Hasney

And I heard the next dungeon and trial is fairly easy as well.
I'm also excited to start the nearly infinite moogle hide and seek games :lol

Don't talk to me about those goddamn lost moogles or the things they want me to get. Ragequitted after one took 35 minutes!
Pretty much, The Aery is one of the easiest dungeons in the game so far. Every boss has 1 main mechanic really and the trash mobs are easy enough plus you can skip a bunch of the enemies. You'll also need to run it a dozen times to level from 56-57 so you'll be a pro in no time.

You also need to run it multiple times to get the Red Panda unless you're lucky :3

Pancho

Qurupancho
Either people, still dont know how to use DRK or DRK are super squishy tanks. Have to constantly heal them on expansion content.

MechaX

Personally, I like WM on a conceptual level, but there are definitely some problems with it right now.

And I'm talking problems of the technical kind (rather than the dps variety), like eaten inputs, tiny bits of lag completely fucking over a rotation, Emp Arrow's cast time making things super awkward and clunky at times for the next few attacks, especially if you have to blow a Repelling Shot to dodge an attack, etc. Personally, they should have just made it have a cast time like Cleric Stance or more of a stance dancing system to avoid the problem of people either being in WM at all times or actively avoiding it at all times due to the shitty cast time for it.

dark_chris

Decided to give my character Mary a more refined look with fantasia. Before and after pics!
ffxiv_06232015_160534_zps6brbs28y.png

ffxiv_06232015_163558_zpsturinspg.png

ViciousDS

Banned
So has anyone switched to Au Ra and regretted it?

I was tempted to for a while but I like my character too much :(

nope.....I love my Au Ra, I'll grab some pics here in a sec.

Side note: Anyone want to be part of a podcast next week from here? Many of you guys are actually in Ishgard (and have played with the new classes) and I was going to have that as a topic with another Gaffer Steel Alchemist whos doing this new cast with me. (Basically a NeoGaf podcast....except we can't call it that XD.)

So has anyone switched to Au Ra and regretted it?

I was tempted to for a while but I like my character too much :(

One of my friends did, but she loves it.

I was considering it, but I'm entirely too fond of my character as is. I was thinking of changing the hair just for funsies, but I can't even bring myself to do that either.

Top Bottom