• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I feel like DPS like to test Tanks in dungeons sometimes.

Instead of attacking a single target (when AOE is not appropriate) I'll see them constantly switch targets instead of just focusing one down. I don't have problems keeping tabs on this since I am used to it but it puzzles me sometimes when people do it.

Next level I'll be getting Clemency. We'll see how that goes in dungeons.

CRISIS AVERTED! I REPEAT, CRISIS AVERTED!!

Left the house about 4 hrs ago and just got back and what do I see waiting for me: a big package. Opened it and there it was: My physical CE. I didn't get no shipment email and hardly got a response from support, and yet my order arrived on time. I'm relieved but I'll never order a product from the SE Online Store again. I'll stick with Amazon. Now I gotta concern myself with getting time cards tomorrow

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have gw2, thought it was pretty boring honestly. Although I just watched a review for this game and from what I have seen it looks fun enough for me to try. Plus there's a trial anyway

It's a great game, but the PvP is really not the focus, tbh. The PvE is some of the best in the genre imo, but definitely don't get into the game hoping for stellar PvP.

Ocelott

Instead of attacking a single target (when AOE is not appropriate) I'll see them constantly switch targets instead of just focusing one down. I don't have problems keeping tabs on this since I am used to it but it puzzles me sometimes when people do it.

I was dealing with the BS earlier today... I just don't understand why.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So has anyone switched to Au Ra and regretted it?

I was tempted to for a while but I like my character too much :(

Not at all Au Ra DRK and loving it.

CiyYdG5.jpg

uvBfEYe.jpg

Much squishier, but I think they have better DPS

I'm doing quite well tanking everything as DRK but they are definitely squishier than paladins. I feel a bit tankier on my DRK than I do my WAR however.

Edited to add

It could just be because its still fairly early but the three new jobs seem much more difficult to use effectively than all of the older classes.

Wagram

Left the house about 4 hrs ago and just got back and what do I see waiting for me: a big package. Opened it and there it was: My physical CE. I didn't get no shipment email and hardly got a response from support, and yet my order arrived on time. I'm relieved but I'll never order a product from the SE Online Store again. I'll stick with Amazon. Now I gotta concern myself with getting time cards tomorrow

I have a feeling when you open that C.E. another crisis will begin anew.

Sora_N

Thank goodness the HW disc is just a coaster, i would be annoyed if I had to keep it in the system.

Why is my launcher downloading files from March 16 again? Did I fuck something up?

I was skimming old threads and the title of one from March said Heavensward has as much content as the base game ....did that claim turn out to be true?(Only on my first week here)

Kenai

It could just be because its still fairly early but the three new jobs seem much more difficult to use effectively than all of the older classes.

I'm sure it will become second nature in time, but I find that memorizing AST card effects and then identifying who best to use it midfight has been challenging, especially when at first I was forgetting to use them on CD at all occasionally.

The secondary effects via Royal Road I have yet to memorize, though it should click with me in another week or so. I can imagine MCH have a similar deal since they have so many attachments with additional effects.

RK9039

Why is Cid wearing oven gloves? he's still wearing it even after his outfit change.

This always happens, even when I mark targets. I basically have to switch targets during my enmity combo.

Cmagus

I was skimming old threads and the title of one from March said Heavensward has as much content as the base game ....did that claim turn out to be true?(Only on my first week here)
Not quite as much but I imagine that includes the future updates as well. The expansion is quite a bit of content with quite a bit of useless filler I'd honestly say there is as much content as two major patch releases from the original game.

I switch targets as a dps if my threat on an enemy is way too high. This isn't much of an issue if the tank is good, usually tanks I have ran with in Coil.

Jarate

Banned
Its getting real hard not to use my tank stance all the time during 4 mans as DK, and its really a shame cause the class is so much more simple with your tank stance up :/

I feel like the new classes aren't as good as other classes, although I'm not sure on astro

Still, can't beat carrying a big ass sword in a Final Fantasy game

Murray97

I don't feel like my AST is quite as good as my WHM in 4mans but in 8mans I feel like I bring more to the party with my aoe cards.

I feel like I struggle with big pulls in dungeons that would be a cake walk on WHM with divine seal and presence of mind.

LowParry

I don't feel like my AST is quite as good as my WHM in 4mans but in 8mans I feel like I bring more to the party with my aoe cards.

It's kind of off feeling with AST. Between both stances, you have your regen which I don't believe is as good as a WHM. The stance that gives shields I haven't really tried yet. I'm up to the second dungeon and will see how that goes. But the card draws adds all sorts of situations of when to play those cards. I'm a healer who plays a mini game and rewards people. I'm only at 53 but so far, I've really enjoyed it. I used to play a SCH but I turned far too lazy as a healer. Eos makes you lazy. No joke.

Amazon has digital 60 day game time cards for FFXIV now. Super quick and easy

Qvoth

hopefully i'll reach 60 tonight
i'm glad i'm clearing all sidequests before progressing to the next area, and i kept returning to old areas to check if there are new quests popping, don't think i'll have to grind too much, i'm already 20-30% and haven't even entered library

iammeiam

Because they're creeping up in hate and/or trying to attack whatever it looks like other people are attacking and/or are a dot class and are multi dotting (as everyone should) and using procs ad oGCDs coming off cool down on their current DoT target, possibly?

I only tunnel on a single target if it's a special case (Qarn BEEEEEEES) or I'm being extremely lazy. Otherwise I'm usually trying to keep DoTs up on everything and using whatever else comes up while I'm DoTing.

Nerfing bards' regular damage and giving them attack limit breaks was a huge mistake. It seems like every one I see feels they have something to prove and they love to waste LBs while underperforming overall

Because they're creeping up in hate and/or trying to attack whatever it looks like other people are attacking and/or are a dot class and are multi dotting (as everyone should) and using procs ad oGCDs coming off cool down on their current DoT target, possibly?

I only tunnel on a single target if it's a special case (Qarn BEEEEEEES) or I'm being extremely lazy. Otherwise I'm usually trying to keep DoTs up on everything and using whatever else comes up while I'm DoTing.

This can get really annoying for other DPS and healers, especially when the mobs have ranged/AOE attacks. If you stay close to whatever you're jumping around on and keep them faced away from others then fine, but most people I see doing this don't think that far ahead.

Hasney

Man, a lot of you guys need to lay off the krokodil. That shit will kill you, especially after your skin goes like that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I never liked busywork sidequests in MMOs, but some of the areas in HW take this stuff to the next level. In a bad way.

A chain which consists of going between the quest giver and the same point on the map for each quest, few in a row. Who thought that it's a good idea?

I always felt like the best way to do sidequests is to allow you to take all of them at once, let you explore the area while you're doing them on the side and then return to the quest hub to get all the rewards at once. In HW it's running back and forth 20 times, especially painful if you're level locked from the last MSQ with the Aether Current as a reward.

/rant

Looking at the OF bard threads is just amazing. So many non bards coming in and telling everyone that WM is some huge dps increase and yet not understanding how much of our dmg is still tied to our autoattacks, or even coming up with insane suggestions to make WM better (like nerfing AA even more to force us into WM, which doesn't fix things in the slightest). I understand it's still early and testing is all over the place, but it seems pretty clear just how bad WM is currently, when all the high end bards are calling it out.

I have yet to see more than a handful of fights that would even allow for you to do nothing but turret and reach WMs potential (which is roughly the same without it currently). So many of these fights require a good deal of movement, which makes the potential for WM even lower the more you have to move out of things. If the goal of WM was to bring us up to par with other dps, yet take away our mobility to do so, it failed spectacularly. Guess we got a decent lvl 60 skill that can be used outside of WM (the tooltip is wrong for all versions except Japanese, which does not include WM) even though the cd seems too long, it just doesn't compare to everything that all the other dps classes got.

Sora_N

Testing chars, wish I didn't have to spend 5 mins loading the opening to see the character in action. I love all the poses and stuff so far.

11393404_10155729082655015_2372720223024744999_o.jpg

Does this game require heavy grind? I like soundtrack, combat system and plan to play it but i don't have much times to play so i fear i will waste subscription

Teknoman

Does this game require heavy grind? I like soundtrack, combat system and plan to play it but i don't have much times to play so i fear i will waste subscription

Not really. At times you might get stuck, but if you are doing story quests, side quests, challenge logs, guildhests, and whatever else as you go, you shouldnt really need to.

Unless you're grinding dungeons because you want a certain item.

Not really. At times you might get stuck, but if you are doing story quests, side quests, challenge logs, guildhests, and whatever else as you go, you shouldnt really need to.

Unless you're grinding dungeons because you want a certain item.

I will try demo first before buy it

Teknoman

Yeah they've introduced alot of stuff at this point to make the road from 1 to 50 (well for your main job anyway) easier than ever. Now after that, I cant comment.

Next time i'm on, I need to put Heavensward story on hold, and go to knock out the last two vanilla HM dungeons introduced in Before the Fall.

nope.....I love my Au Ra, I'll grab some pics here in a sec.

Side note: Anyone want to be part of a podcast next week from here? Many of you guys are actually in Ishgard (and have played with the new classes) and I was going to have that as a topic with another Gaffer Steel Alchemist whos doing this new cast with me. (Basically a NeoGaf podcast....except we can't call it that XD.)

I'd listen to it if its about XIV.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This new crafting/gathering stuff is super weird and costly.
It seems that ultimately you still wanna be an omincrafter.

Ayumi

While I know most here (or all) already play this on Windows, the Mac version came out yesterday.

I'm not here to bitch about a bad port, but the Mac version is only a wrapper of Windows and it runs HORRIBLY. Doesn't matter how high-end your Mac is, it'll run like shit.
So if anyone reads this and was gonna waste $60 on the Mac version, don't do it. You're way better off playing in Boot Camp.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...c-OS-X-Client-s-absymal-performance-is-a-joke.

Really hoping they'll fix this soon, because this is ridiculous. I've run way heavier games greatly on OS X natively than what FFXIV is doing to everyone right now.

Aselith

I can't believe these troll assholes made the first quest for the new summoner class quests that you should go summon a new egi-type lmao. Such dicks.

In the situation I'm talking about none of this is happening. The only time I've been out-threated by DPS is when I was leveling PLD and got 2 outfitted BLMs who were nuking everything in sight at Wanderer's Palace so it's not that.

People just randomly attacking targets instead of focusing on one (this doesn't count naturally for large groups where everyone is using AOE abilities). Even when it's clear they're attacking different targets no one switches over to the other. I suppose DPS players don't really care about this sort of thing since the Tank is expected to take care of it. And I do, but I just find it funny when it would be easier to just focus on one target (again, not talking about Summoner Bane-ing something or someone spreading one DoT around). I suppose it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Zomba13

If you don't have a referal code try using this one TRNGU8ZQ (I dunno if you use it when you first make an account or when you subscribe). It'll help you out a bit stuff for levelling and help me out and if you play on Ultros (where the GAF guild is) then I'd be able to help out

K.Sabot

Half way to level 58 and I've still not seen the end of my rest XP.

Outside of dungeon mobs, seems like xp from monsters is really low.

Omni

Time Cards: Time Cards, created by Square Enix, are sold at a number of retailers, but are exclusive to the EU and Japan. They add either 30 or 60 days of game time to your account, depending upon which card you purchase. These time cards cannot be redeemed on accounts from other regions.

From the FAQ.

Thank you. :)

Tash

I used to play a SCH but I turned far too lazy as a healer. Eos makes you lazy. No joke.

Yeah, not so much any more with all the new skills. I think it's actually more involved again, which is super fun. Also, the scaling while leveling with embrace is really wonky. For now, until I caught up with ilevel on my actual job level the fairy heals are really weak, not to mention with the lustrate change, I have to work much harder now to heal tanks in dungeons and stance dance constantly. They are getting pummeled good.

In that regard, what's up with tanks moving crap all the time now. Moving it out of shadowflare, moving around so dps has a really hard time doing their positionals..and it's not only DKNs which might be new to tanking../petpeeve

Emergency tactics adlo crits are the best thing ever
off CD constantly, it's so goood! Also, Succor crits are fun and the potential of dissipate -> emergency tactics - succor followed by indomination is some pretty insane if not OP aoe burst healing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In that regard, what's up with tanks moving crap all the time now. Moving it out of shadowflare, moving around so dps has a really hard time doing their positionals..and it's not only DKNs which might be new to tanking../petpeeve

Gotta go fast.
I wish I had a gil for every time a tank decides to start moving before a pull is killed.

Top Bottom