• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Every experience I've had with MCH in dungeons has been terrible. Is it a tough class to get a hold on? I'm no DRK expert myself yet.. but.. I'm kind of a big deal.

Every experience I've had with MCH in dungeons has been terrible. Is it a tough class to get a hold on? I'm no DRK expert myself yet.. but.. I'm kind of a big deal.
From the perceptive of a Healer who has time to observe their actions....they do terrible damage. I had a run with two MCHs and it was sad how long it took them to take down adds even when I gave them the AST damage buff.

From the perceptive of a Healer who has time to observe their actions....they do terrible damage. I had a run with two MCHs and it was sad how long it took them to take down adds even when I gave them the AST damage buff.

My exact experience. Every time I'm with one I feel like we're 3 manning. I was in a run with a BRD and MCH last night and it felt like I was soloing. It was that bad.

c1rcae

So I've never played FFXIV before, but all of this talk is getting my hyped - is anyone starting a new character or just jumping in? Feel like it would be much better with other people near the same level.

DarkKyo

So I've never played FFXIV before, but all of this talk is getting my hyped - is anyone starting a new character or just jumping in? Feel like it would be much better with other people near the same level.

It's never a bad time to join! Even if people aren't starting new characters at the moment there will always be those leveling new jobs, which means starting from level one in most cases.

dark_chris

It's really fun and you can just jump in. If you need a code, send me a pm and I'll get you in.
The game is newcomer friendly and there are always new people jumping in. Ultros server has the highest GAF presence too.

Ralemont

not me

Once I unlock Heavensward I'll be starting a job from level 1, so I'd be happy to level with you. Try to make a character on Ultros, if you decide to.

c1rcae

Once I unlock Heavensward I'll be starting a job from level 1, so I'd be happy to level with you. Try to make a character on Ultros, if you decide to.

Thanks for the heads up guys - will let you all know if I decide to jump in (will be Ultros as suggested most likely)!

Jeels

My exact experience. Every time I'm with one I feel like we're 3 manning. I was in a run with a BRD and MCH last night and it felt like I was soloing. It was that bad.

Man, stuff like this is making me reconsider leveling my machinist and going back to warrior. I don't want everyone to hate me. :(

Soooo...my ps4 is wired.

i bought ff14 bundle on psn today for 44.99 and everything went swimmingly. first time setup took about an hour but hey ho. its a one off. then it starts to downloading the remaining data....

11660.62mb. I had the game on PC so its not a huge surprise. i change my ps4 power settings to make sure it doesn't turn itself off while ff14 downloads and i do something else or play dark souls or whatever...go back to ff14 and "Approx 1860 minutes remaining download speed 0/16mb/s" when my usual it about 9-10 mb/s.....

Is this just the servers being busy as fuck or what....

Edit: Soooo the other day a friend was over, ps4 was in a different room and we had to change it to wifi...i forgot to switch back. 69 minutes remaining.

Jeels

I reqched level 40 with machinist and stopped. I hope they fix it soon.

I'm almost to 44. I guess I'll take it to 50 and pray it's fixed for the Alexander patch. I like the idea of a gunner and I need a dps class alongside my tank, but if nobody wants a mach in their party there's no value in me taking it to 60.

Zomba13

Thanks for the heads up guys - will let you all know if I decide to jump in (will be Ultros as suggested most likely)!

If do start and you need a referral code I can send you one. Will give you a hat that speeds up levelling in the early levels. And yeah, play on Ultros with the GAF guild! PEople will be able to help out with dungeons and trials because it syncs players levels so even if you are lvl 15 doing your first dungeon a player on a lvl 60 job can come and help you, they will be made the right level for the dungeon.

I literally just started a new character on Ultros. If you wanna group up for stuff, and are on Ultros, lemme know. That goes for anyone else too! My character name is Jams Kharlu. I am the One True Kharlu. Don't be fooled by the impostor Gryvan.

I'm loving how the Astrologian quest line is part just them basically trying to prove themselves capable "Guys we're not a bunch of crackpot nutters! We can actually help heal people and stuff!"

Got my first 60 last night! Haven't had much of a chance to play level 60 summoner yet and I still have a bunch of story left (or so it seems), but I'm very much looking forward to dumping Akh Morn on some enemies. I think I might try to avoid spending the Law tomestones that I'm getting now, as I don't want to spoil the game by overgearing the story content and making stuff too easy. The Law gear will be there when I need it.

Surprisingly, I didn't burn through all the rested XP I had saved up - it was only when I hit level 60 that I didn't have a full bar, and even then, it was still 75% full. I guess if you have a couple of 50s that you want to take to 60, rested XP isn't much of a concern after all. Just don't blow it all on your level 30 DRK or whatever.

Finally finished up the main storyline pre-expansion last night and
man does shit ever fall apart quickly. I had heard some talk about the ending but that wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Got my first 60 last night! Haven't had much of a chance to play level 60 summoner yet and I still have a bunch of story left (or so it seems), but I'm very much looking forward to dumping Akh Morn on some enemies. I think I might try to avoid spending the Law tomestones that I'm getting now, as I don't want to spoil the game by overgearing the story content and making stuff too easy. The Law gear will be there when I need it.

Thanks for making everyone in your parties run the dungeons 5 extra minutes.

Thanks for making everyone in your parties run the dungeons 5 extra minutes.

Having not completed the story, I'm not in the end-game yet despite being overlevelled for the story, which is currently giving me level 59 quests, and I'm not sure why you'd expect anyone in that situation to be swanning around in a full set of tome gear, particularly during the week of the official release.

The idea is to use it right before any pause in the fighting, so your GL3, which would expire anyway, doesn't go to waste. And it's 330 potency I think? Pretty great.

I'm still a little bit from level 60 but the last Monk skill seems insane. Is it a typo or does Tornado Kick really use up GL3? Getting rid of that for a single attack almost sounds not worth it.

That's what I was thinking. Pretty much every skill for Monk this expansion seems to be based on dealing with downtime. It's pretty cool, but part of me wishes we got some major additions to our playstyle like some other classes. Oh well, I got a hadoken so I can't complain.

Just to chime in on this despite it being an old conversation, but there is absolutely no reason not to use Tornado Kick on cooldown. It's only a 60 second cooldown and because of its high potency and because Greased Lightning III is consumed AFTER the hit, it ends up being pretty much a 500 potency attack. My Tornado Kicks crit for about 3500 now with B4B up.

So yeah, it's bonkers. I would suggest using it in Raptor form so you immediately get a Greased Lightning stack back after your next hit. This also means that you can do your entire opener and get every off-GCD attack off fully buffed before dropping Tornado Kick and building up again.

Mononoke

Banned
I had like a level 43 bloodmage (not sure if that is the actual class, it was something blood). And I got discouraged, because I expected more in terms of armor, and spells by that level. I thought getting that second class, would be a bigger deal. So when I saw all the amazing armor and spells being left to the top level, I just felt bummed out. Like no way was I going to continue grinding, if the the rewards didn't feel good from that level 43-50 grind.

I know, I'm a big baby. I really loved the game though. A lot. I wonder if I can just find my character again, and jump back in?

MogCakes

Can any DRGs chime in on the max single hit damage ceiling for Jump at 60? Right now I'm hitting 2500+ crits fully buffed and debuff applied to target in i133 gear at 56. Lifesurge/Full-thrust hits for 2400+.

Kenai

I'm loving how the Astrologian quest line is part just them basically trying to prove themselves capable "Guys we're not a bunch of crackpot nutters! We can actually help heal people and stuff!"

Yea it's interesting how they literally only want to heal people and that's worthy of
multiple assassination attempts
, and also that
the people who hate them act like they are nothing while simultaneously trying to kill them

I still think it could be more exciting, but it was definitely better after the excellent 40 quest resulted in the mediocre 50 one

Arkeband

Banned
Can any DRGs chime in on the max single hit damage ceiling for Jump at 60? Right now I'm hitting 2500+ crits fully buffed and debuff applied to target in i133 gear at 56. Lifesurge/Full-thrust hits for 2400+.

I'm 59 but I'm getting similar numbers to you, though the HQ58 weapon is only +1 weapon damage above Zeta. Have HQ145gear on both sides.

I know this isn't precisely what you asked for but at least you know the curve doesn't kick in early.

I had like a level 43 bloodmage (not sure if that is the actual class, it was something blood). And I got discouraged, because I expected more in terms of armor, and spells by that level. I thought getting that second class, would be a bigger deal. So when I saw all the amazing armor and spells being left to the top level, I just felt bummed out. Like no way was I going to continue grinding, if the the rewards didn't feel good from that level 43-50 grind.

I know, I'm a big baby. I really loved the game though. A lot. I wonder if I can just find my character again, and jump back in?

I have no idea what you're talking about. (seriously, there's no blood class in the spectrum of final fantasy games)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I've seen a dragoon do a 6725 Full Thrust in i180. Jump should probably break 3k under the most favorable conditions.
Edit: 7.2k Jump confirmed.

Yea it's interesting how they literally only want to heal people and that's worthy of
multiple assassination attempts
, and also that
the people who hate them act like they are nothing while simultaneously trying to kill them

I still think it could be more exciting, but it was definitely better after the excellent 40 quest resulted in the mediocre 50 one
I have enjoyed Jannequinard's banter with Leveva. What with him always blowing off his teachings and her ever constant disappointment in almost everything he does.

The true victims of A ranks

kn6hkMP.png

Hey GAF,

My BLM is now level 60. Right now i'm finishing the story, but what should i do next ? My goal is to be ready for Alexander. Dungeons / Daily Hunts ?

Dunan

After at least 12 hours of Heavensward play, I finally opened up an instanced dungeon. Took them long enough!

The main story is quite a lot of fun, though, and I've been exploring all over the place. I could wander upper and lower Ishgard all day and all night, because its music is sublime.

Scher

Hey GAF,

My BLM is now level 60. Right now i'm finishing the story, but what should i do next ? My goal is to be ready for Alexander. Dungeons / Daily Hunts ?

Yes, do roulettes and the level 60 dungeons for law, and do daily hunts/desperately try and make it to hunts before they die so you can upgrade the law gear.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I finished the main scenario last night. What a fantastic experience and one that firmly cements Final Fantasy XIV as one of my favorites in the series and one of the best games I have ever played.

For me, A Realm Reborn was great but Heavenward was even better. The story, quests, new job actions and even the English voice acting has been greatly improved over the original and I can't tell you how excited I am to see the next chapter in my character's journey.

I'll go into things a bit more later (like what I really liked and a couple things I didn't), but those are just some brief initial thoughts after clearing level 60 last night. Going to get a feel of the new dungeons later today - though I already ran Fractal twice and loved it - so I'm definitely looking forward to sinking my teeth into the end-game before Alexander arrives.

Raijinken

So they didn't bother to fix the Astrologian glitch... From what my friends have told me the class is supposedly terrible and just cannot compete with Scholar or White Mage at level 60 right now. I feel as though SE is just being careful on the power of these new jobs and I hope they will adjust them in time. I'll be staying as a Scholar for Alexander until they do.

As for Ravana EX, after clearing it with my static I can easily say that it will probably be one of those fights that just cannot be cleared via party finder. It's literally Titan/Ifrit EX with a bit of Turn 9 as well. I love it and I hope they make more difficult fights like this.

Kronotech

After logging in for the first time in a year, I'm so lost. I played the game when 1.0 came out but feel like a brand new player.

Not even sure what to do... I'd feel like Duty Finder is the best bet but I'm only at iLVL 101. Any ideas on how to get reacquainted? On Sargatanas.

Teknoman

Having not completed the story, I'm not in the end-game yet despite being overlevelled for the story, which is currently giving me level 59 quests, and I'm not sure why you'd expect anyone in that situation to be swanning around in a full set of tome gear, particularly during the week of the official release.

Was sarcasm. Probably stemming from how some people have been acting like everyone they run into should be pros instantly at the new dungeons and primal battles, as well as know how to speedrun everything flawlessly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So they didn't bother to fix the Astrologian glitch... From what my friends have told me the class is supposedly terrible and just cannot compete with Scholar or White Mage at level 60 right now. I feel as though SE is just being careful on the power of these new jobs and I hope they will adjust them in time. I'll be staying as a Scholar for Alexander until they do.

As for Ravana EX, after clearing it with my static I can easily that it will probably be one of those fights that just cannot be cleared via party finder. It's literally Titan/Ifrit EX with a bit of Turn 9 as well. I love it and I hope they make more difficult fights like this.

They also did not fix the Bard glitch which locks you out of abilities until Bloodletter comes back up. Happened to me quite a bit last night and was super annoying.

They also did not fix the Bard glitch which locks you out of abilities until Bloodletter comes back up. Happened to me quite a bit last night and was super annoying.

The best is when it happens 2+ times on a single Curator pull and it's always right when the adds spawn and your dots are about to run out on the boss, leaving no chance of a proc.

Top Bottom