• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ralemont

not me
After logging in for the first time in a year, I'm so lost. I played the game when 1.0 came out but feel like a brand new player.

Not even sure what to do... I'd feel like Duty Finder is the best bet but I'm only at iLVL 101. Any ideas on how to get reacquainted? On Sargatanas.

Where are you in the main story? I'm in the same boat of returning after a year and picked up at Leviathan. Leviathan and Ramuh are both fairly easy at ilvl~100 so that might be a good reintroduction (just read a guide about each beforehand so you know a few of the moves).

You also get a bunch of ilvl 110 accessories from doing main story quests, which is VERY nice.

WolvenOne

After logging in for the first time in a year, I'm so lost. I played the game when 1.0 came out but feel like a brand new player.

Not even sure what to do... I'd feel like Duty Finder is the best bet but I'm only at iLVL 101. Any ideas on how to get reacquainted? On Sargatanas.

Well, take your time getting reacquainted with the finer points of the game. Don't be too afraid of the dungeons, most of them are fairly simple and if you explain that it's your first time most players can give you some basic tips of what to look out for.

Valor

Level 45 Machinist now. I don't get the overwhelming dislike of the class. It feels alright. A bit janky, and a bit on the weaker side, but they seem like easy fixes. There are a few skills that are pretty useless, but that's par for the course in a ton of other classes.

I don't really see the hate for the class.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Level 45 Machinist now. I don't get the overwhelming dislike of the class. It feels alright. A bit janky, and a bit on the weaker side, but they seem like easy fixes. There are a few skills that are pretty useless, but that's par for the course in a ton of other classes.

Sounds like a repeat of the SMn stigma from 2.0 when people didn't know how to play the class.

WolvenOne

I'm gonna level the class (Machinist) either way, but I do hope they tweak it a little to alleviate the, "janky," and "slightly underpowered," issues. Granted, indeed a large part of that is probably people not knowing how to maximize the class, but that probably isn't all of it.

So they didn't bother to fix the Astrologian glitch... From what my friends have told me the class is supposedly terrible and just cannot compete with Scholar or White Mage at level 60 right now. I feel as though SE is just being careful on the power of these new jobs and I hope they will adjust them in time. I'll be staying as a Scholar for Alexander until they do.

As for Ravana EX, after clearing it with my static I can easily say that it will probably be one of those fights that just cannot be cleared via party finder. It's literally Titan/Ifrit EX with a bit of Turn 9 as well. I love it and I hope they make more difficult fights like this.

Glitch has little to do with that though. Class is also not "terrible". It's not really that good either I feel. It's really dependant on the cards you draw for a solid performance. If you draw TP card after TP card, you're not doing much of anything. You need to draw the damage cards to make up for the fact your damage is annoying as shit and expensive mana wise and you need to draw some cards to help with mana issues(like spear before you aether or ewer a couple of times in a row).

I'd say the main issue with the class though isn't the cards so much as the lack of healing cooldowns.

Scholars have Lustrate spam+Rouse+Virus+Eye for an Eye+Faerie stuff(mostly Eos)+new stuff(mostly crap), and in general have high healing output with the fairy, other than aoe which they got a new cooldown for.

WHMs have Divine Seal and Presence of Mind and also Benediction as well as the cross class SCH stuff, on top of having higher potency healing.

AST have cards which obviously are unreliable and are mostly about increasing damage from other people, Arrow being the only "healing" cooldown out of them and it's weak compared to Presence of Mind and could also be used on a DPS, Synastry which is super situational in its usage, Collective Unconscious which is borderline garbage other than for really small healing or inbetween phases free healing assuming you're in regen stance or crappy sacred soil in shield stance and Ligthspeed which only advantage is letting you cast while moving, at the cost of a massive 25% potency reduction. On the mitigation front, it's either Bole(single target, unless you also royal road aoe but then it's 5%) and Disable which long cooldown is absolutely not warranted considering the annoyance of using it properly and the effect.

So when shit goes wrong, and it happens every now and then, you have nothing to do but keep spamming normal baseline heals and hope you crit or draw the right card the next time Draw is up.

Now on the other hand, with decent draws, you can increase DPS quite a lot. Spear used on pull on cooldown heavy classes and Enhanced Balance(15%dmg) with Time Dilation for 30secs duration is quite nice and getting a few decent draws will most likely have a noticeable impact on DPS. Wether or not that's worth it though versus just having more solid healers, I don't know.

Murray97

I world transferred to Ultros but I need to think of a new character name now. This could take a while. Then I'll just pick something awful and go with it.

Teletraan1

Banned
Man, stuff like this is making me reconsider leveling my machinist and going back to warrior. I don't want everyone to hate me. :(

I have already had a bad run in with an impatient tank while leveling MCH so I am done for now. Not going to be something I run with randos until it is fixed. Got to 48. Just going to use that job to finish some beastmen tribe stuff I never got around to doing to level it up to 50. I actually really liked the job up until that point and felt I was doing it properly just spinning my wheels with no damage output.

My Heavensward experience has been pretty bad so far and pretty much self inflicted. Had to do a bunch of quests to get to Ishgard. Started as a Bard, dislike the changes on a mechanical level plus they seem broken, blindly switched to Machinist, they seem to be in the same boat, their damage is poo and the community is vile towards them atm. Now I am leveling to NIN. I should probably just level MNK and be done with it so I can just get to 60 on a job.

Valor

Sounds like a repeat of the SMn stigma from 2.0 when people didn't know how to play the class.
More or less. There are people saying DRK sucks because it's squishy. AST apparently sucks compared to SCH/WHM which I haven't seen to be true. MCH sucks as well. People just don't know how to play them yet, I assume. There's a bit of truth to the MCH one so far though that I can see. It can use a bit of a potency increase, though maybe that will be alleviated when I have Gauss Barrel to play with.
I'm gonna level the class (Machinist) either way, but I do hope they tweak it a little to alleviate the, "janky," and "slightly underpowered," issues. Granted, indeed a large part of that is probably people not knowing how to maximize the class, but that probably isn't all of it.
Like the animations are a bit weird for machinist, and it's pretty much because I don't think the character knows what to do with their left hand. Since it's a one handed weapon, one hand is just always doing basically nothing and looks weird. So movement feels a bit off. Maybe it's just me, though. That's the jank that I'm referring to. Animations, of all things to complain about lol.

iammeiam

Wildfire feedback is terrible and it generally feels like attacks don't hit hard enough are my two biggest beefs at 50.

Waiting for Gauss Barrel to break my heart and crush my dreams though.

Glitch has little to do with that though. Class is also not "terrible". It's not really that good either I feel. It's really dependant on the cards you draw for a solid performance. If you draw TP card after TP card, you're not doing much of anything. You need to draw the damage cards to make up for the fact your damage is annoying as shit and expensive mana wise and you need to draw some cards to help with mana issues(like spear before you aether or ewer a couple of times in a row).

I'd say the main issue with the class though isn't the cards so much as the lack of healing cooldowns.

Scholars have Lustrate spam+Rouse+Virus+Eye for an Eye+Faerie stuff(mostly Eos)+new stuff(mostly crap), and in general have high healing output with the fairy, other than aoe which they got a new cooldown for.

WHMs have Divine Seal and Presence of Mind and also Benediction as well as the cross class SCH stuff, on top of having higher potency healing.

AST have cards which obviously are unreliable and are mostly about increasing damage from other people, Arrow being the only "healing" cooldown out of them and it's weak compared to Presence of Mind and could also be used on a DPS, Synastry which is super situational in its usage, Collective Unconscious which is borderline garbage other than for really small healing or inbetween phases free healing assuming you're in regen stance or crappy sacred soil in shield stance and Ligthspeed which only advantage is letting you cast while moving, at the cost of a massive 25% potency reduction. On the mitigation front, it's either Bole(single target, unless you also royal road aoe but then it's 5%) and Disable which long cooldown is absolutely not warranted considering the annoyance of using it properly and the effect.

So when shit goes wrong, and it happens every now and then, you have nothing to do but keep spamming normal baseline heals and hope you crit or draw the right card the next time Draw is up.

Now on the other hand, with decent draws, you can increase DPS quite a lot. Spear used on pull on cooldown heavy classes and Enhanced Balance(15%dmg) with Time Dilation for 30secs duration is quite nice and getting a few decent draws will most likely have a noticeable impact on DPS. Wether or not that's worth it though versus just having more solid healers, I don't know.
I'm enjoying the way AST works but everytime I'm in a dungeon I cannot help thinking to myself. "This would be much easier if I was a WHM/SCH."

It certainly feels like a "Jack of all trades master of none" type of healer. Oh and Collective Unconscious has got the be the most garbage healer skill yet. I have to stand still and not make ANY actions and hope my team-mates come near me for a half-ass shield or regen? wat

gryvan

Hey we should level together!

WolvenOne

More or less. There are people saying DRK sucks because it's squishy. AST apparently sucks compared to SCH/WHM which I haven't seen to be true. MCH sucks as well. People just don't know how to play them yet, I assume. There's a bit of truth to the MCH one so far though that I can see. It can use a bit of a potency increase, though maybe that will be alleviated when I have Gauss Barrel to play with.
Like the animations are a bit weird for machinist, and it's pretty much because I don't think the character knows what to do with their left hand. Since it's a one handed weapon, one hand is just always doing basically nothing and looks weird. So movement feels a bit off. Maybe it's just me, though. That's the jank that I'm referring to. Animations, of all things to complain about lol.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the rotation changing based on RNG. I've read that this makes tunneling on the class really easy.

Yeah, the animators not knowing what to do with the off arm probably would make the animations a bit off. XD

Wagram

The Dragoon DPS is INSANE now. Jumping ship early because it'll be nerfed so that the beloved Monk is at least 30% better. RIP DRG.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Something something bad RNG based combo, bad animations, and a terrible sounding gun (How could they goof this part up? It's the most important part.)

Also having to reset your robots position every time is kind of dumb.

Arkeband

Banned
The Dragoon DPS is INSANE now. Jumping ship early because it'll be nerfed so that the beloved Monk is at least 30% better. RIP DRG.

Someone posted on the last page that they recorded Jump doing 7200 damage. The 10-11 weapon damage really brings it up that much...?

I know the weapon damage stat has always been weighted heaviest but this is starting to get out of hand. Accessory upgrades already provided a near-unnoticeable benefit, I fear this is going to start spilling over into the left-hand side of the character sheet soon...

XenoRaven

Someone posted on the last page that they recorded Jump doing 7200 damage. The 10-11 weapon damage really brings it up that much...?

I know the weapon damage stat has always been weighted heaviest but this is starting to get out of hand. Accessory upgrades already provided a near-unnoticeable benefit, I fear this is going to start spilling over into the left-hand side of the character sheet soon...
Dragoons get an ability that increases Jump and Spineshatter potency by 30%. This is in addition to the 50% potency boost you get from Power Surge. I'm not sure if there are other abilities that buff Jump potency.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dragoons get an ability that increases Jump and Spineshatter potency by 30%. This is in addition to the 50% potency boost you get from Power Surge. I'm not sure if there are other abilities that buff Jump potency.

Don't you get damag increase from Blood for Blood. Plus add in the crit potential from that monk and DRG skill and sounds like that's feasible.

I have already had a bad run in with an impatient tank while leveling MCH so I am done for now. Not going to be something I run with randos until it is fixed. Got to 48. Just going to use that job to finish some beastmen tribe stuff I never got around to doing to level it up to 50. I actually really liked the job up until that point and felt I was doing it properly just spinning my wheels with no damage output.

My Heavensward experience has been pretty bad so far and pretty much self inflicted. Had to do a bunch of quests to get to Ishgard. Started as a Bard, dislike the changes on a mechanical level plus they seem broken, blindly switched to Machinist, they seem to be in the same boat, their damage is poo and the community is vile towards them atm. Now I am leveling to NIN. I should probably just level MNK and be done with it so I can just get to 60 on a job.

Either I am having deja vu or we are literally having the same job woes. Bard isn't bad, but I can understand why people want to leave it. For me personally, I just want something new to level and was once intimidated by MNK and it's rotations, it's not as complex as players making spreadsheets and videos make it seem to be. Rushing MCH to 52 just to see if I like it gave me grinder's remorse. MNK so far has been a blast and that's going to be the chosen job.

Sort of like the cutscene where the hero ditches his war armor for the dragoon. I have a pretty solid FC now so if I were to offer a dungeon run they don't mind if I go as MNK.

EDIT: Also, I think someone mentioned it here but you get AF2?(AF+1?) gear from your job quests. I did a double take after the MNK 45 quest that I have 4 pieces of melee(il90) gear on top of the temple ones. and 50 gives you both temple and melee body and a il90belt. Well at least it can be used for glamour.

Also, it's awesome to solo low level dungeons. Been wanting that body piece for MNK from Brayflox, and sure enough it dropped for me last night. It lasts until 45 and is one of the better glamour pieces I've seen yet. I wonder if there are other unique looking low level gear I could get when I hit 60 someday.

WolvenOne

I know that weapons have always been the biggest contributor but this is starting to get out of hand.

While I don't yet know all the specifics, DRG got a CD buff that specifically powers up their Jumps. So extra weapon damage, more strength, etc etc etc.

I think people are kinda rushing to conclusions when they talk about, X class is so OP, it definitely needs to be nerfed now! We don't really know how well these classes are gonna play with each-other once we get into a raid setting, nor do we know what the intended DPS for each class it. Besides, I think people are comparing all this DPS output to level 50 still, and yes this would be insane for level 50. Thing is there's supposed to be a noticeable jump in capabilities when you go ten levels. So as long as each class ends up in rough spitting distance of each-other, it's fine. Granted, undoubtedly some adjustments will be made, but I really hope no class ends up getting a terribly big nerf.

PS: The exception to the spitting distance real, I think, would be tank classes designed primarily to be OT's rather than MT's. I would just assume OT classes have noticeably higher DPS, just to make the role distinctions more obvious. Admittedly I'm biased however.

Wagram

Well i've personally recorded around a 3,600 as my max at about level 56. So I could definitely see it under optimal buff circumstances. +30% BFB +30% BoTD +50% PS. I would like to know what that person hit that 7,200 on though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well i've personally recorded around a 3,600 as my max at about level 56. So I could definitely see it under optimal buff circumstances. +30% BFB +30% BoTD +50% PS. I would like to know what that person hit that 7,200 on though.

Ravana Extreme. AST buffs are real apparently.

XenoRaven

Don't you get damag increase from Blood for Blood. Plus add in the crit potential from that monk and DRG skill and sounds like that's feasible.
Yeah, you get a damage buff from B4B. And Life Surge is a guaranteed crit.

My math might be off, but I don't think fully buffed Jump does any more damage than Full Thrust. That is unless there's some additional skills that I haven't gotten yet that increase the potency even further. Full Thrust is 360 potency. Jump is 200 potency. 50% buff with Power Surge puts it at 300. 30% buff (from 200 base potency) would make it 360 potency. This is assuming the percentage increases are all based off the base potency, and not post-buff potency.

Ken

My math might be off, but I don't think fully buffed Jump does any more damage than Full Thrust. That is unless there's some additional skills that I haven't gotten yet that increase the potency even further. Full Thrust is 360 potency. Jump is 200 potency. 50% buff with Power Surge puts it at 300. 30% buff (from 200 base potency) would make it 360 potency. This is assuming the percentage increases are all based off the base potency, and not post-buff potency.

Ravana EX has stances where he takes increased damage which will inflate numbers.

Ken

Makes sense. I'm just saying that you could theoretically do the same damage with Full Thrust, which is just a melee combo ender.

I probably should have quoted the 7200 damage post instead lol.

But yeah Full Thrust should hit harder than Jump because they benefit from Disembowel while Jumps have no equivalent, unless bosses have some hidden defense values for jump attacks.

XenoRaven

I probably should have quoted the 7200 damage post instead lol.

But yeah Full Thrust should hit harder than Jump because they benefit from Disembowel while Jumps have no equivalent, unless bosses have some hidden defense values for jump attacks.
Jump doesn't count as piercing? D:

I'm a terrible person for not knowing this. It took me like almost a year to find out that DoT ticks weren't buffed by Disembowel.

tmtyf

i remember reading that ast was supposed to be able to swap between being a main healer or support on the fly, but from what ive experienced i cant see it as a viable main heal over the other options atm.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm pretty sure everything the Dragoon attacks with is considered piercing, aside from dot ticks and Leg Sweep, and I'm not sure about the last one.

MogCakes

I'm thinking Power Surge and Blood of the Dragon don't additively stack, but multiply. 200 x 1.5 x 1.3 is 390, not 360, and explains why my fully buffed Jump does slightly more damage (150+? 200?) than my fully buffed Life-Surge-Full-Thrust.

Life Surge doesn't work with Jump or Spineshatter anymore, seems they nerfed that part of jumps in 3.0. This is actually a good thing, because now you can keep Life Surge with FT for a guaranteed high damage crit in addition to the high-crit buffed Jump. Between the two attacks I get in about 4900-5k damage on a fully buffed combo. At i180 and the posted damage caps recorded that reaches into nearing 13-14k territory, or a level 2 LB.

EDIT: Jumps count as piercing attacks, so Disembowel does apply.

XenoRaven

I'm thinking Power Surge and Blood of the Dragon don't additively stack, but multiply. 200 x 1.5 x 1.3 is 390, not 360, and explains why my fully buffed Jump does slightly more damage (150+? 200?) than my fully buffed Life-Surge-Full-Thrust.

Life Surge doesn't work with Jump or Spineshatter anymore, seems they nerfed that part of jumps in 3.0. This is actually a good thing, because now you can keep Life Surge with FT for a guaranteed high damage crit in addition to the high-crit buffed Jump. Between the two attacks I get in about 4900-5k damage on a fully buffed combo. At i180 and the posted damage caps recorded that reaches into nearing 13-14k territory, or a level 2 LB.

EDIT: Jumps count as piercing attacks, so Disembowel does apply.
Interesting. So the two buffs don't calculate separately from the base potency, but rather will buff based on the potency of the already buffed attack?

I'm interested in DRK as my secondary class, how is it compared to WAR and PLD? DPS? Durability?

I wouldn't put too much stock in any opinion you get right now because people are still figuring it out.

Most that I know are saying it's more involved than either. Theoretically it should provide most of the stability of a PLD but with some of the damage of a WAR, but it also isn't as great either job is at its respective strength (i.e. Warrior's damage and Paladin's sturdiness).

People are getting anxious about its "utility" but not many have spent enough time with it yet to offer anything conclusive.

Razzorn34

More or less. There are people saying DRK sucks because it's squishy. AST apparently sucks compared to SCH/WHM which I haven't seen to be true. MCH sucks as well. People just don't know how to play them yet, I assume.

DRK requires more micro than usual to excel. It's not the class, it's the fact that many people are just terrible with it. It's not amazing, but it isn't subpar either.

AST is getting bashed because WHM/SCH are better as pure healers. It's tough to take into consideration how much the AST buffs are helping, so people just look at what is in front of them. I'm sure that'll change when the hard numbers start rolling in.

MCH has quite a few issues. It's pretty clear that it needs some work. I'm sure it'll be fixed like anything else, but the endless complaining you'll get for it right now may not be worth it.

Top Bottom