• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Randy42

Anyone know if using the Undersized Party option for Shiva Ex to ignore the ilvl sync cancels out getting the Diamond Dust? Haven't tried it yet but not sure if the dust counts as a drop that would be ignored with the UP rules.

Kind of want to get the Diamond Musket which is why I'm curious about it

Semper88

Anyone know if using the Undersized Party option for Shiva Ex to ignore the ilvl sync cancels out getting the Diamond Dust? Haven't tried it yet but not sure if the dust counts as a drop that would be ignored with the UP rules.

Kind of want to get the Diamond Musket which is why I'm curious about it

I got no clue but we tried the ignore iLvl on T13 and everything one shotted us. The scalling is off lol.

Randy42

I got no clue but we tried the ignore iLvl on T13 and everything one shotted us. The scalling is off lol.

Didn't even realize there would be scaling for it. I thought the whole point of it WAS to make it easier so you could quickly glamor farm old content. Like why would there be scaling for that?

Teknoman

DRK requires more micro than usual to excel. It's not the class, it's the fact that many people are just terrible with it. It's not amazing, but it isn't subpar either.

As in keeping track of MP, or other things? Sucks that the only other class I want to play as (aside from Monk) is a tank still :p But I guess tanking as DRK will be different than PLD.

As in keeping track of MP, or other things? Sucks that the only other class I want to play as (aside from Monk) is a tank still :p But I guess tanking as DRK will be different than PLD.

Yea. If you plan to use the class's main modifier, Dark Arts, to power or add effects, it usually means you are going to use a ton more MP. You can get away with just spamming the aoe skill like a pld uses flash, and still hold agro easy, but it would be pretty boring.

So after playing with several dark knights while helping a friend through the updates to get to heavensward...I gotta say that they remind me a lot of early dragoons (aka loldrg as people put it). They have great potential but almost all of them are terrible and die too fast. I say this as a guy whose main class is a dragoon...

I played with about 12 dark knights today and at least 10 of them barely knew what they were doing even at level 50. 2 of them even fully ignored grit. New class or not the basic principles of tanking still apply and I really hope that the rule of cool on dark knights ease up soon or people learn how to use it better.

Of course this is just my opinion

Teknoman

Yea. If you plan to use the class's main modifier, Dark Arts, to power or add effects, it usually means you are going to use a ton more MP. You can get away with just spamming the aoe skill like a pld uses flash, and still hold agro easy, but it would be pretty boring.

So after playing with several dark knights while helping a friend through the updates to get to heavensward...I gotta say that they remind me a lot of early dragoons (aka loldrg as people put it). They have great potential but almost all of them are terrible and die too fast. I say this as a guy whose main class is a dragoon...

I played with about 12 dark knights today and at least 10 of them barely knew what they were doing even at level 50. 2 of them even fully ignored grit. New class or not the basic principles of tanking still apply and I really hope that the rule of cool on dark knights ease up soon or people learn how to use it better.

Just makes me want to get Paladin to 60 even faster and get Dark Knight rolling.

Semper88

I think alot of "new" people that have been drawn to the expansion think its a DPS class (no joke).

The class its self is not equal to other tanks as we speak either, their mitigation is lower then a PLD and WAR.

It will change, alot of people will drop the class soon enough because most of the players hate tanking hence the lack of tanks.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Random and probably stupid question, but how is the pvp in this game?

I was a long-time gladiator in WoW when I played, but gave up on that long ago. I'm somewhat interested in this game, but I've always been more of a pvper than a pve'er.

Happy I've come back to this game. Still need to finish all the old story stuff but I am looking forward to the expansion.

Unfortunately my time off hasn't helped my tanking anxiety issue but I'll stick with WAR as it's still my highest level job. Plus, no waiting for duty finder is as nice as ever.

Hasney

I was a long-time gladiator in WoW when I played, but gave up on that long ago. I'm somewhat interested in this game, but I've always been more of a pvper than a pve'er.

The regular PvP I was never a fan of, but it does have its following. Frontlines, the 72 player objective based PvP though, is really fun. 3 teams, one for each grand company in a massive clash.

You will be frustrated unless you party up, but even then it can be enjoyable.

xxczx

I got my PLD to level 60 and decided to give DRK a bash since the initial omgdarknight has faded. It's incredibly easy to keep aggro I'm actually shocked. I thought it would be more like PLD where you have to be careful in low level dungeons but nope.

I wish I didn't enjoy it but now I have no choice to level it up with my WAR :(

Teknoman

The best thing is that Dark Knight seems more like an avenger / violent Batman type rather than the stereotypical what you'd expect a fantasy dark knight to be.

dcye

Didn't even realize there would be scaling for it. I thought the whole point of it WAS to make it easier so you could quickly glamor farm old content. Like why would there be scaling for that?

Nah its not an intentional thing, its just a product of the way our stats go up and how they relate to the previous BIS gear. It was a thing in WoW as well.

There's a decent explanation about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm...id_content_will_deal_increased_damage/csdk5qo

i don't know why dark knight attack animation looks so weird. i can't feel the weight behind all that stick-waving. big difference if you're used to warrior.

Semper88

as a former WoW arena PvPer I'll be honost.

PvP is totall trash shit junk in this game, and I'm not joking.

If you are used to the WoW pvp style then this well.. its like going back 50 years in time.
Due the low tick rate of servers you won't be able to hit players that move because it will say out of range even if you are inside the players hit box (this is for melee only ofc).

This game is based on PvE, ofc you can still have fun in PvP but if you'd like something compared to WoW you'll feel cheated.

ebil

DRK is an AOE threat beast, though it's quite funny when they run into a trash pack without looking at their MP bar. RIP me.

I've been partying with my static's DRK 30-60 as AST and he never felt squishy to me (until we got to expert dungeons while barely making gear requirement and him being STR spec'd).

Upon reaching 60, random DRKs have been so-so.

We're not convinced it brings anything unique to the table for raiding (unless perhaps we need a lot of AOE threat) so he's going to go back to levelling PLD to have options while I'm levelling SCH.

Oh, and I also really enjoyed the story, music, FF feel. Last trial was amazing if easy. One of the best games in the series IMO. Can't wait to go back to it with my alt when I'm bored in a few months.

Are the flying mounts like WoW when TBC came out, just flying in the new zones?

Also, is there a good just "how to play your class" website/wiki/YouTube? I just feel like I'm pulling skills at random and not sure if I'm doing well or not.

Also any good UI setups/ sites to look around and steal?

The biggest problem I see with dark kight right now is the ridiculous cost to drop and put up Grit and the lack of def cool downs to put up before tank busters. I'm still waiting for carve and spit and soul sacrifice before I make a final judgement on the job.

been doing the level 60 dungeouns. man, healing the curator is fun intense stuff.

the other 2 dungeouns are a cakewalk in comparison. on a more annoying note, i had a DRK tank today who wouldnt even wait until any new area had even loaded for me before mass pulling. then got mad because i couldnt keep up with him. fool, i was basically running ahead of him trying to hit the "new zone barrier" so i could try and load before him to make sure i was ready for his insane trash pulls. then he died anyway between a load screen and i just left. tbh, these incidences have been few and far between, i find the community on my server (tonberry) to be pretty great and friendly for the most part.

Ferr986

Finally at 2.5, not much left I guess.

There is too much bloat on this story, thanks god the Primal fights were fun because a lot of people were new. Snowcloack was another thing, everyone had their Bahamut weapons and I was a rush. Can't complain because it was a cakewalk but I still need to get my grips with the NIN class and I can't with these rush.

Btw, the new Primal themes are some good shit. Especially Ramuh's theme, omg.

Jeels

Finally at 2.5, not much left I guess.

There is too much bloat on this story, thanks god the Primal fights were fun because a lot of people were new. Snowcloack was another thing, everyone had their Bahamut weapons and I was a rush. Can't complain because it was a cakewalk but I still need to get my grips with the NIN class and I can't with these rush.

Btw, the new Primal themes are some good shit. Especially Ramuh's theme, omg.

There's a lot of build up but it becomes worth it in 2.5. Stick with it.

_BtB_

Not sure if the gaf free comapny is full or not, but i signed up at the site but I have a question with the application. What should I put for "character" "member referral"? Is it my character name in game and do I not put anything in member referral since I have a gaf account?

also where do you guys/gals hang out at, having trouble seeing anyone from gaf and I am not sure how to get to the the housing in limsa lominsa, as the ferry operator says the ferry is not working atm

thanks

So I've been sitting in the character creator screen for 5 hours now refreshing the server list; hoping to get into Balmung. I really want to be in a RP server plus I have a friend in there as well.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm gonna have to transfer just to get in huh? :(

plake

Not sure if the gaf free comapny is full or not, but i signed up at the site but I have a question with the application. What should I put for "character" "member referral"? Is it my character name in game and do I not put anything in member referral since I have a gaf account?

also where do you guys/gals hang out at, having trouble seeing anyone from gaf and I am not sure how to get to the the housing in limsa lominsa, as the ferry operator says the ferry is not working atm

thanks

Yeah, your char name and referall just write you have GAF acct.

We don't really hang out anywhere as such. We're all over the place. A lot of people are in the new areas Idyllshire and Ishgard. But we also frequent the house in Mist in Limsa. You'll be able to get there at around lv 15 ish.

Also, if you just started, feel free to use my recruit code for a bunch of bonus items in the mail: PQ9J5WHQ
Here you can see what you'll get, there's no catch really: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

So I've been sitting in the character creator screen for 5 hours now refreshing the server list; hoping to get into Balmung. I really want to be in a RP server plus I have a friend in there as well.

The thing updates every... 3 hours? 4hours? I forgot but it's at specific times, so sitting there isn't going to do much good. You want to do it offhours, which I guess is now so that's fine, but for the really populated servers like Gilgamesh and Balmung and so on, you really want to do it right after a maintenance cause you're not getting in otherwise, most likely. Maybe 2-3weeks before the expansion it'd have been easier but now... yeah hard. You might mind you, just not super likely.

Balmung has one of the biggest servers in the game by far(Balmung resident) same goes for some other Aether data center servers. Just a far warning it could be a while. Took a friend of mine four days before she could get lucky.

IMBored

Man, completely ignoring the pre relase info and fc chat is really been paying off. Got to
Idyllshire
yesterday, had no idea that a new
rev's toll
existed. That said Dravanian Hinterlands should have a crystal.

So, haven't started the new story content yet because I've been leveling DRK.

Just hit 50 last night and I gotta say that the Dark Knight questline is almost certainly the best quest line in the game that I've done so far. If the Main Story of Heavensward is half as interesting, it'll be fantastic.

-NeoTB1-

Balmung resident here. Your best bet would be to try in middle of the night (maybe after 2 am local time). That's how I created 2 of the 3 characters I have on that server. The third was pure luck.

Good luck and don't give up! Balmung is great.

aceface

I vaguely remember a post on reddit about this. They said that at lv 60 things hit twice as hard or something.

Edit: oh, dyce already posted it above. It's too early.

They really did a number on BLM. It's a lot more fun to play at 60. Before the only thing you had to care about was MP management, but with the addition of Enochian mechanics it creates an entirely new rhythm of play that makes the job much more engaging and satisfying.

When you manage to keep up Enochian in a big fight while still hitting your spells, it feel so damn good. Not to mention both Fire and Blizzard IV look incredible. Great stuff.

Stuart444

I wonder if they will fix that scaling issue then.Since the whole point was for things not to scale with Undersized parties lol.

edit: also Just uploaded this: The Aery with Me, Alice, Guy and Scything lol.

I spend a bit of time learning how to deal with my new skill and fighting muscle memory. I did better in my run after this which I stupidly didn't record lol. Ah well. only one more level til I get my next skill and RNG ensues lol.

Vanmunt

Banned
They really did a number on BLM. It's a lot more fun to play at 60. Before the only thing you had to care about was MP management, but with the addition of Enochian mechanics it creates an entirely new rhythm of play that makes the job much more engaging and satisfying.

When you manage to keep up Enochian in a big fight while still hitting your spells, it feel so damn good. Not to mention both Fire and Blizzard IV look incredible. Great stuff.

Happy days, cannot wait to get some new spells.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Aw shit, might have to quit leveling NIN and push for BLM.

tmtyf

your best bet is to try really early in the morning, like 4-7am (est). thats when i was able to make an account and my buddy as well. if u try during prime time you will more than likely be blocked out.

Frazley

Loving Machinist a lot! I may be weird, but it is a fun class to play!

Last night in Hauke Manor the tank died on the last boss. The healer and the two DPS (I was one of them) took her down.

Once I get it to 50 I'll do the HW MSQ.

Any lurkers out there:
FC6RGMPB

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All my friends on other servers noted the same thing.
It doesn't seem too hard or complicated, but I spent almost 3 hours queuing up for dumpster fires last night.

I think the main thing I saw killing people was when Ravana starts doing that frontal AOE move and people just standing in the way. Instant death right there.

Arkeband

Banned
Since the scaling in undersized parties was never mentioned and hasn't been addressed since the launch, I'm actually wondering if it's a goofy thing they threw in there just to keep people from going back and cheesing content that people were struggling with just last week.

If that's the case I feel like it will be lifted when Alexander drops, since people will have an honest-to-goodness raid to bang their heads against instead.

Basically my reasoning is: A large chunk of the playerbase never beat Final Coil (and probably a significant chunk never stepped foot into Binding) so this might have been intentional to keep people invested in HW content for launch instead of enticing fresh 60's to be spending time in ARR content instead of progressing and filling up queues for progressing players.

I think the main thing I saw killing people was when Ravana starts doing that frontal AOE move and people just standing in the way. Instant death right there.

Yeah, that's what my group had trouble with too (we beat it on the third try), our healers were on autopilot and kept standing in front of Ravana when for the majority of the fight you want to make sure you're behind him. (as with most bosses)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since the scaling in undersized parties was never mentioned and hasn't been addressed since the launch, I'm actually wondering if it's a goofy thing they threw in there just to keep people from going back and cheesing content that people were struggling with just last week.

If that's the case I feel like it will be lifted when Alexander drops, since people will have an honest-to-goodness raid to bang their heads against instead.

Basically my reasoning is: A large chunk of the playerbase never beat Final Coil (and probably a significant chunk never stepped foot into Binding) so this might have been intentional to keep people invested in HW content for launch instead of enticing fresh 60's to be spending time in ARR content instead of progressing and filling up queues for progressing players.

Which is honestly a shame with relation to parts of the Heavensward story. I choked up quite a bit at one particular scene...

Top Bottom