• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

IMBored

Is the DR rewards showing wrong exp for everyone? It was showing 23,400 for me at 58, but actually gave 234000 at the end, double with actual dungeon reward. Might have me seeing it wrong, but I haven't done DR for leveling in the expansion.

Arkeband

Banned
Is the DR rewards showing wrong exp for everyone? It was showing 23,400 for me at 58, but actually gave 234000 at the end, double with actual dungeon reward. Might have me seeing it wrong, but I haven't done DR for leveling in the expansion.

You get a chunk of bonus EXP that scales based on the difference between your level and the dungeon's level. So Sastasha for instance, the mobs give shittier EXP than a 58 dungeon, so they compensate with a big EXP piñata at the end. This only happens on the first run of the roulette each day, though, IIRC.

You'd get that 23k every subsequent run afterward, regardless of the dungeon it picks.

All the DR's give hundreds of thousands. I never really pay attention to the window rewards, just as long as I see a bunch of shiny, flashing stuff I know I haven't done it yet today.

I think the main thing I saw killing people was when Ravana starts doing that frontal AOE move and people just standing in the way. Instant death right there.

Yeah. I know for a fact on a couple of occasions, I've had tanks with happy feet get Surpanakha spammed on everyone.
I'll just have to grind this out tonight, I hope.

RK9039

ffxiv_26062015_14574329ayc.png

Pope tank.

Zomba13

I'm not 100% sure the scaling in "undersized" overlevelled parties will really matter much. I mean, we've seen three lvl60 tanks (two WAR and a PLD) beat Titan EX. Like, even with increased damage you have a lot more hp and more abilites and higher dps so it still works out being easier than using the normal size party.

I still want to get a group of lvl 60s together to do some primal pony farms. Should be super fast and easy now with 8 lvl60s.

Munba

Some nice details..
After the Haurchefant scene you should back to his 'home' to see what npcs say... ;_;

Dunan

Finally did my first dungeon earlier today, the Dusk Vigil, and wow at what unfolded there after the Calamity. Read between the lines of the journal entries you find; what a tragedy.

I am absolutely loving the new prices for NQ mats due to airships. It's bonkers. Hope it lasts another week or two because I'm raking the gil in.

I had been making mad profits by buying regular i115 equipment in Ishgard and putting it on the market for people who presumably could not yet visit Ishgard. The arbitrage party is over now, though; everybody is unloading all their story-related HQ i115 gear at lower and lower prices and there's no market for NQ stuff, with a few exceptions
which my rapaciously capitalist retainers will closely guard

Hasney

Bugger, had to end up buying it on disc for PS4. Because I have early access from a cancelled pre-order, it says I can't purchase the PSN version because I already own it. DAMN YOU SONY.

Slightly cheaper though and it's coming tomorrow, so hopefully it comes before early access is turned off.

Razzorn34

Seems like all 3 new classes are definitely intended for more observant/reactive players.

Definitely. Which is why I'm enjoying them quite a bit more currently. None of the original classes are very difficult to play, and were less interesting as a result. You just filled a role. So, I took up WAR since tanking is generally interesting.

DRK and AST especially aren't intended for people who just want to spam a few abilities and roll through dungeons.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They really did a number on BLM. It's a lot more fun to play at 60. Before the only thing you had to care about was MP management, but with the addition of Enochian mechanics it creates an entirely new rhythm of play that makes the job much more engaging and satisfying.

When you manage to keep up Enochian in a big fight while still hitting your spells, it feel so damn good. Not to mention both Fire and Blizzard IV look incredible. Great stuff.

Ooh, can't wait. Still at level 55, while I took a few days off to batmanbatmanbatman.com.

I was always skeptical about summons being Primals in this game but the info surrounding how they come into existence is an interesting concept imo.

Living beings willing and praying their gods or legends into existence is a neat concept. I found it interesting how what is actually summoned is merely an interpretation of the actual being in question, and not them brought back from the dead. Combine that with them naturally draining the surrounding environment of aether in order to sustain themselves, it makes sense why they are so dangerous.

IMBored

I had been making mad profits by buying regular i115 equipment in Ishgard and putting it on the market for people who presumably could not yet visit Ishgard. The arbitrage party is over now, though; everybody is unloading all their story-related HQ i115 gear at lower and lower prices and there's no market for NQ stuff, with a few exceptions
which my rapaciously capitalist retainers will closely guard

I'm saving some of my quest rewards for when people start leveling second classes. Apart from that, only making money by having my retainer get gelato. 5-10k per hour isn't much but it ads up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was always skeptical about summons being Primals in this game but the info surrounding how they come into existence is an interesting concept imo.

Living beings willing and praying their gods or legends into existence is a neat concept. I found it interesting how what is actually summoned is merely an interpretation of the actual being in question, and not them brought back from the dead. Combine that with them naturally draining the surrounding environment of aether in order to sustain themselves, it makes sense why they are so dangerous.

Gaius was right.
Galvus is also right.

Valor

I think the main thing I saw killing people was when Ravana starts doing that frontal AOE move and people just standing in the way. Instant death right there.
Or if you were in my rage-inducing Ravana HM with Zan, the tank who had the mark for those frontal AoEs decided to kite the boss in a circle and get me wrecked by them.

JudgeN

Finally did my first dungeon earlier today, the Dusk Vigil, and wow at what unfolded there after the Calamity. Read between the lines of the journal entries you find; what a tragedy.

They really need to add open world dungeons for this very reason. Just think if Dusk vigil was a place I could run through and take my time and explorer instead people just want to get the dungeon over with a quickly as possible.

Huge misstep not having open world areas like dusk vigil/Stone Vigil.

AgeEighty

I finally managed to complete the game, and there were so many geek-out moments at the end:

In the Aetherochemical Facility when the second boss summons Coil stuff. Oh hello T7.

The female Ascian making ready to flee, but instead the WoL casually lobs the aether trap at her. "Here, catch!"

Lahabrea finally going down like the punk bitch he is, cut down by the Sword of Omens.

When King Thordan used mechanics from every primal in his fight, but then also KNIGHTS OF THE FUCKING ROUND which I totally should have seen coming with the Heavens' Ward being there.

Aymeric's inspiring promise to Midgardsormr and joining the Eorzean Alliance.

Really well done, Yoshi-P and team.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Is there anyway walk to Ok Vandu Mok from either of the crystals in cloudcamp? I have been trying to get there for hours and there does not seem to be a way to walk there which dosnt make sense seeing as there is an air current you need to get there before you can fly.

Edit ... found it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Which is honestly a shame with relation to parts of the Heavensward story. I choked up quite a bit at one particular scene...
I'd love to play it, but I don't know if that'll be possible now post-HW especially given DPS queues...

khaaan

Is it weird to have multiple characters? I skipped a lot of the story when I was playing and would like to go through it. My other reason is that the GAF FC is so large that I find it hard to make strong connections with people, a character at a smaller FC might give me the fix I'm looking for.

Is there anyway walk to Ok Vandu Mok from either of the crystals in cloudcamp? I have been trying to get there for hours and there does not seem to be a way to walk there which dosnt make sense seeing as there is an air current you need to get there before you can fly.

You're misjudging where the current is, most likely. There is a way to the middle of the map by going all the way to the east on the upper levels, goes through
imperial camps
, which gives you access to the last currents, usually.

Is it weird to have multiple characters? I skipped a lot of the story when I was playing and would like to go through it. My other reason is that the GAF FC is so large that I find it hard to make strong connections with people, a character at a smaller FC might give me the fix I'm looking for.

It's not weird at all.

I just had this convo with Guy and Scything this morning lol. People just need to jump into fc chat more!

Dunan

I'd love to play it, but I don't know if that'll be possible now post-HW especially given DPS queues...

I too would love to finally do turns 6 to 13 at some point. Maybe when much of GAF has finished Heavensward, we can get some Coil clearing parties going. Groups always get together to help people do older content; after I finished my Relic weapon with some help from GAF (ages ago), I joined one and we helped someone else do the whole train what felt like an hor or so. It was great.

-NeoTB1-

Is it weird to have multiple characters?

Nope. I have a few that I play. For me, it's mostly wanting to try out the different races. Each race/class combo looks and feels a little different to me, so it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. It probably prevents me from making more progress in the later stages of the game, but eh... I'm not so much interested in end-game as I am with the journey itself.

IMBored

Every current can be accessed from the two crystals. I spend a lot of time trying to get the last one because I thought it was on the higher island, but it was really on the lower one.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bugger, had to end up buying it on disc for PS4. Because I have early access from a cancelled pre-order, it says I can't purchase the PSN version because I already own it. DAMN YOU SONY.

Slightly cheaper though and it's coming tomorrow, so hopefully it comes before early access is turned off.
Early access for Heavensward is already over... the game has completely released.

yaffi

Dear diary,

Today I payed a visit to Revenant's Toll and got roped into tracking down some girl and giving her back a pair of earrings.

Now a bunch of kids want me to play treasure hunter with them. I tried to turn them down, but their arguments were pretty convincing. I think I can delay ending the War a little bit.

I am the Warrior of Light!

Well shit.

Hasney

Early access for Heavensward is already over... the game has completely released.

Nah, today is the last day. Worked the same way with Old Republic, gives a big window in case peoples orders get delayed. Logged on without a Heavsward key as we speak!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The concept for a Thought Form or Tulpa is actually an old concept. It's pretty interesting. Supernatural had an episode about one.

I have my Legacy character and my primary one. Comes in handy but by and large the game bends over backwards so you don't have to create alts left and right.

...It's about time they coughed up another free retainer though.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Early Access lasts until Saturday I believe. Probably turns of completely Sunday morning at typical maint times I'd assume?

Nah, today is the last day. Worked the same way with Old Republic, gives a big window in case peoples orders get delayed. Logged on without a Heavsward key as we speak!
Ahhh, right. Today is the last day to play with just the early access code, correct? After this you have to register a HW key?

Quick questions:

Once I fulfill the requirements to become a Black Mage is there any reason to not switch to that job? Will I be hamstringing myself by leaving THM at level 30?

As a thaumaturge when should I be using Scathe? I'm already limited by the 2.5gcd when casting my other spells so I end up not being sure what Scathe's use is.

Finally got to wander around Western Coerthas last night. I've barely unlocked any of the map and the zone feels a lot bigger or at least more open than the ARR zones. Loving it :eek:

Quick questions:

Once I fulfill the requirements to become a Black Mage is there any reason to not switch to that job? Will I be hamstringing myself by leaving THM at level 30?

As a thaumaturge when should I be using Scathe? I'm already limited by the 2.5gcd when casting my other spells so I end up not being sure what Scathe's use is.

There is no reason to not switch to Black Mage, that is what you should do. I think you lose one or two cross-class abilities from other classes, but that's really minor. As for Scathe, it's useful when you want to do damage while moving, as it's the only spell you have that can do that. Or if you need to do a little bit of damage really fast, like trying to get credit for a FATE by tagging a monster when those monsters are getting killed faster than your normal cast times. But usually, it's not worth being part of any spell rotations.

There is no reason to not switch to Black Mage, that is what you should do. I think you lose one or two cross-class abilities from other classes, but that's really minor. As for Scathe, it's useful when you want to do damage while moving, as it's the only spell you have that can do that. Or if you need to do a little bit of damage really fast, like trying to get credit for a FATE by tagging a monster when those monsters are getting killed faster than your normal cast times.

Cool, thanks!

Top Bottom