• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Just got pass Sohm Al last night. Omg Coerthas is so beautiful. I don't know how many time I need to pause, remove hud and just enjoy scenery.

Finally unlocked Goring Blade for my Paladin. Adding something different to the 1-2-3 rotation of Fast Blade, Savage Blade, and Rage of Halone adds much more enjoyment.

MogCakes

I'm going to be extremely wanting for play time in the coming months so I'm glad the new raid content has a normal mode. Much as I loved overcoming the challenges of coil getting people together was often a harder task than the fights, and the time sink is huge. Then there's all the problems that comes with a static and keeping one together.

Zalasta

I for one do not care for the new maps at all. Reminds me of 1.0's big and empty environments that took forever to get anywhere. I also hate the verticality with all the cliffs and ledges. Incredibly painful, misleading and time consuming without flying. Yes, flying make all of them trivial, but just because you implement the feature, doesn't excuse the poor design. There was a reason why all of the maps got a size reduction in ARR.

Razzorn34

That's what I mean. It was too hard to really do with randoms.

Basically. I never made it past turn 9. I don't have time to static with people, so DF is life. Sometimes we'd get the boss to 20%, othertimes we'd never make it past phase 1. It's rolling the dice every time, but there isn't much else you can do about it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Isn't it standard for raids to be too difficult to do with randoms across most MMOs? WoW intrigued flex raids and raid finder which appar early made them easier to do with randoms. Before that though I'm guessing it had to be done with a static.

Any WoW players around who can comment?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Isn't it standard for raids to be too difficult to do with randoms across most MMOs? WoW intrigued flex raids and raid finder which appar early made them easier to do with randoms. Before that though I'm guessing it had to be done with a static.

Were the WoW raids so important to the story and lore? Coil is basically an extension of the events from 1.0.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I for one do not care for the new maps at all. Reminds me of 1.0's big and empty environments that took forever to get anywhere. I also hate the verticality with all the cliffs and ledges. Incredibly painful, misleading and time consuming without flying. Yes, flying make all of them trivial, but just because you implement the feature, doesn't excuse the poor design. There was a reason why all of the maps got a size reduction in ARR.
The actual terrain itself is fine. However, the person who translated it all to the map... that person is just a horrible human being, and I hope his mother forgets his birthday this year.

edissonlcn

Neo Member

Flex raids are good to make with your friends, which are the same as normal, but you can do it with as many people as you want and the difficult will adjust.
Raid Finder is the dumb down version of the dungeon, it removes the most complex mechanics so people can pug it and wont have any problems. This way everyone can enjoy the whole story, but the drops have ilvl lower than normal raid.

Gaius was right.
Galvus is also right.

*Imperial Salute*

The concept for a Thought Form or Tulpa is actually an old concept. It's pretty interesting. Supernatural had an episode about one.

I didn't know there was a real world origination for the concept.

Interesting.

The only other example I can think of is Orcs in WH40K painting their vehicles thinking it will make them go faster resulting in that actually happening.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Were the WoW raids so important to the story and lore? Coil is basically an extension of the events from 1.0.
The Wrath of the Lich King raids ending with Arthas as the final boss seem important. Whether or not it's to the same degree as XIV I have no idea.

Klyka

Banned
The actual terrain itself is fine. However, the person who translated it all to the map... that person is just a horrible human being, and I hope his mother forgets his birthday this year.

I on the other hand love the new zones and how once you unlock flying for each one of them,you can get to new places and new quests.

Sometimes a bigger zone in an MMO with some navigation can just feel good.

Klyka

Banned
Flex raids are good to make with your friends, which are the same as normal, but you can do it with as many people as you want and the difficult will adjust.
Raid Finder is the dumb down version of the dungeon, it removes the most complex mechanics so people can pug it and wont have any problems. This way everyone can enjoy the whole story, but the drops have ilvl lower than normal raid.

Huh,so WoW dungeon finder removes mechanics? Or specifically the raid finder?

A lot of the areas are used in side quests. A lot of the other areas are obvious for things like future dungeons.

Plus hunting.

There really is huge gaps between those areas and the places the quests want you to go when you're traversing by ground.
Flying is really rewarding though, simply because it takes away the tedium.

Anything that involved elevation in conjunction with using the map made me want to toss my computer out of the window.

Outside of that, the maps are fantastic, even before gaining access to flights. I kind of wish they would give more reason to explore other than padding out gaining the ability to fly, but meh.

Klyka

Banned
Going into Dravanian Forelands for the first time and seeing that big ass mountain thinking it's a backdrop and then
finding out you can scale it and it has two caves in it and the huge crystal on top is the next dungeon
was absolutely great.

My friend and I both went "wow" at the same time.

Why is FF14 such an enjoyable MMO? I mean it is SO traditionell but...it just works.

Not related to this topic per se, but do any of you guys play this on a Nvidia Shield?

I can't figure out how to remove the hud with the Shield Controllers since there's no 'select' button.

suzu

Yeah, this. They need to show the elevation better on maps.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I do agree with the map complaints. I got frustrated quite a bit having to run all the way around cliffs and such.

MogCakes

They should at least make the higher elevations contrast more than lower ones, or follow construction documents and have lower areas be outlined with dotted lines or use a different color for higher elevations. Or have an elevation slider. It's clear the map as-is was not designed to accommodate verticality.

Zalasta

It's as if they made all these elevations just to excuse having flying, but what they didn't consider is that most of the questing is done when you don't have flying yet. So we have to endure all the painful navigation on foot, and when you can finally fly in a zone, you're practically done there already.

XenoRaven

The final boss of coil (I assume everyone knows who it is by now but I won't say it just in case) is mentioned in the story in a sort of subtle way, and it sucks that it's never acknowledged that it was killed by the player (if the player actually completed the content). Although story-wise, I think the decision was made amongst the people involved to not mention anything that happened in the coils to anyone else, lest they freak tf out.

Klyka

Banned
It's as if they made all these elevations just to excuse having flying, but what they didn't consider is that most of the questing is done when you don't have flying yet. So we have to endure all the painful navigation on foot, and when you can finally fly in a zone, you're practically done there already.

So far every zone I've been to had 1 round of questing to get "through the zone" and then once you can have flying it spawns new quests when you are higher level which you can then do.

I actually quite enjoy that.

The final boss of coil (I assume everyone knows who it is by now but I won't say it just in case) is mentioned in the story in a sort of subtle way, and it sucks that it's never acknowledged that it was killed by the player (if the player actually completed the content). Although story-wise, I think the decision was made amongst the people involved to not mention anything that happened in the coils to anyone else, lest they freak tf out.

Wait, WTF happens in the coils?

rubius01

Going into Dravanian Forelands for the first time and seeing that big ass mountain thinking it's a backdrop and then
finding out you can scale it and it has two caves in it and the huge crystal on top is the next dungeon
was absolutely great.

My friend and I both went "wow" at the same time.

Why is FF14 such an enjoyable MMO? I mean it is SO traditionell but...it just works.

Just because something is traditional doesn't mean its bad or inferior. I long for the days of ATB, its just old, not bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wait, WTF happens in the coils?

Final Coil Spoiler:
The coils were built as a means of trapping and reconstructing Bahamut, who was last seen at the end of FF14 1.0 being freed from Dalamud (meteor) as he wrecked havoc on the land.

Throughout all of the Coil of Bahamut you venture down into these ships constructed by the ancient empire who originally enslaved Bahamut - the allagans. You fight their creations with the ultimate goal of stopping the regeneration of Bahamut, which has already begun upon the player character's destination at the end of the Binding (First) Coil.

The final boss is - as you might expect - Bahamut. Though he hasn't fully regenerated by the final Turn in body, the player and 7 of his friends go up against a smaller version that he's created within his own "heart."

There's more to that of course but the coil story is one of my favorites in the game so far.

Final Coil Spoiler:
The coils were built as a means of trapping and reconstructing Bahamut, who was last seen at the end of FF14 1.0 being freed from Dalamud (meteor) as he wrecked havoc on the land.

Throughout all of the Coil of Bahamut you venture down into these ships constructed by the ancient empire who originally enslaved Bahamut - the allagans. You fight their creations with the ultimate goal of stopping the regeneration of Bahamut, which has already begun upon the player character's destination at the end of the Binding (First) Coil.

The final boss is - as you might expect - Bahamut. Though he hasn't fully regenerated by the final Turn in body, the player and 7 of his friends go up against a smaller version that he's created within his own "heart."

There's more to that of course but the coil story is one of my favorites in the game so far.

there are also tie ins to heavensward story at a certain point

Final Coil Spoiler:

I honestly didn't realize that it had such a story to it. It always just sounded so intimidating.

Huh,so WoW dungeon finder removes mechanics? Or specifically the raid finder?

Raid finder is tuned in a way where really punishing mechanics are "lite" and manageable for a group that most likely doesn't have any type of communication but raid chat. At this point there are so many tiers of purples that it all just blends together, but the mode is extremely popular and was highly taken advantage of in Draenor. Also, the hardest difficulty (Mythic back then) introduced ADDITIONAL phases on raid end bosses like Garrosh that were found only in that version of the fight.

Also, yes, WoW raids are 100% apart of the story/lore and all major events happen within raids. I don't want to get into a WoW vs FF14 thing but the lore/world/story of WoW is MUCH more fleshed out and in-depth for obvious reasons and you can get the exact same level of enjoyment from the story. The issue before was that this needed 40/10/25 people most of the time. Now with the raid finder you can experience all the lore quite easily.

Omnicent

So im reading some stuff on DRK.... is it true that the tool-tip for living dead not accurate?
Reading post from some higher level darks and it seems to be better than it sounds

It sounds like it tracks you max hp and you need to be healed by that amount overall. taking damage doesn't come into the picture.

IE: you have 10k HP, use Living Dead and drop to one HP. You now need to be healed for 10k hp over these 10 seconds. you get healed for 8k, but take 5k damage. You will only need to be healed for 2k before the 10 seconds are up to not die.

That's a pretty big error like sole survivor if so and make it sound way better than it currently does, though it does allow for some trolling.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I honestly didn't realize that it had such a story to it. It always just sounded so intimidating.

Yeah, the world building in FF14 is top notch and having it extend to the raid is just extra icing on the cake for something considered "optional" content by many. They even put a full CGI cutscene in there which shows you how much effort they put into it.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, the world building in FF14 is top notch and having it extend to the raid is just extra icing on the cake for something considered "optional" content by many. They even put a full CGI cutscene in there which shows you how much effort they put into it.

Woah, they did? I gotta find like, a coil playthrough on Youtube.

TalonJH

Made the mistake of turning on a Twitch stream. Saw a characters name and realized I just spoiled myself on plot point. :(

Been so busy getting the FC up to speed and finishing my Zeta that I haven progressed the story much.

Setzer

One thing I love about this game is that there's so much stuff to do. I just got back into the game about two weeks with the goal of getting my character caught up with all the story content for the new expansion and I've gotten completely sidetracked doing crafting, Gold Saucer stuff(Triple Triad mostly), helping my FC out with building the airship, playing the Thief class, and doing treasure hunts. It's crazy. I need to re-focus on the story so I can get into Ishgard!

Valonquar

I'm almost 60 but I have no quests to do, I don't know what else I can do other than Library again and again.

Pick up the rank 1, 2 and 3 hunt logs each day. They give a sizeable amount of xp and take practically no time at all to do once you have flight in the zones.

i'd give this update a 7/10 right now. -3 for all the random sidequest nonsense and stupid server crashes and game bugs. Otherwise pretty dope

Top Bottom