• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
i'd give this update a 7/10 right now. -3 for all the random sidequest nonsense and stupid server crashes and game bugs. Otherwise pretty dope

The servers really haven't been that bad for a new expansion launch. I've been impressed. The bugs don't bother me too much either as this thing came in super hot and I'm a bit shocked it's as good as it is.

RK9039

Pick up the rank 1, 2 and 3 hunt logs each day. They give a sizeable amount of xp and take practically no time at all to do once you have flight in the zones.

How do I get access to these hunt quests? I've never done them before, must have been added when I stopped playing.

Do you have a moment to kupo?

almost got a headache trying to find those moogles :(

The servers really haven't been that bad for a new expansion launch. I've been impressed. The bugs don't bother me too much either as this thing came in super hot and I'm a bit shocked it's as good as it is.

I've dc'd out of instances like 4-5 times. The worst part is that it kicks you out and you gotta queue again which sucks as a dps. It doesnt happen often, but when it does, it is pretty annoying especially with how queue times are

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
almost got a headache trying to find those moogles :(

I've dc'd out of instances like 4-5 times. The worst part is that it kicks you out and you gotta queue again which sucks as a dps

I only got 90K'd once and it was because Comcast decided it was going to drop out for a few minutes.

MogCakes

I'll add another praise to the story. Coil not only finishes 1.0,
it sets up the precursor to Heavensward's true plot, effectively bridging 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 in one fell swoop
. And it has been there since shortly after 2.0's launch. It really is amazing how SE has managed to interconnect the different plotlines together into a cohesive narrative with a clear focus.

Sorian

Banned
All this talk about coils and weak primals and I'm more curious about (spoilers for information given at the beginning of the Bismarck EX quest line)
this warring triad that we will inevitably get to deal with

Tc91

Just renewed after quitting ages ago, I have to complete every main scenario quest up till 3.0? Ouch, this is gonna be rough.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'll add another praise to the story. Coil not only finishes 1.0,
it sets up the precursor to Heavensward's true plot, effectively bridging 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 in one fell swoop
. And it has been there since shortly after 2.0's launch. It really is amazing how SE has managed to interconnect the different plotlines together into a cohesive narrative with a clear focus.

Heavensward story spoiler:

The scene with Midgardsormr's daughter was so sad ;-; WE ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE.

Just renewed after quitting ages ago, I have to complete every main scenario quest up till 3.0? Ouch, this is gonna be rough.

It's not bad. they double all xp you get from story quests, and just always be well fed for the xtra 3% for killing enemies and also any resting xp bonus. It is pretty quick really.

Where did you leave off?

DarkKyo

Just finished every last Churning Mists quest... loved the zone! The fact that every single quest giver(besides story quests) was
a Moogle
was really great.

About 300k away from 57 and getting the next story quest. I can tell it's going to get a bit grindy from here on out...

Sorian

Banned
Heavensward story spoiler:

The scene with Midgardsormr's daughter was so sad ;-; WE ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE.

We are terrible people? All we did was put down the abomination that she summoned. Not her fault either, the Ascians are the terrible people. At this point, I see summoning primals as the same as what the Elrics did at the beginning of full metal, good intentions don't lead to good things.

Jeels

CIcnsysVAAAZ38x.jpg:large

I am so gangster.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We are terrible people? All we did was put down the abomination that she summoned. Not her fault either, the Ascians are the terrible people. At this point, I see summoning primals as the same as what the Elrics did at the beginning of full metal, good intentions don't lead to good things.

I felt bad for her whole situation really. We're terrible for not stopping the Ascians soon enough and instead messing about with silly giraffe people in the snow.

Sorian

Banned
I felt bad for her whole situation really. We're terrible for not stopping the Ascians soon enough and instead messing about with silly giraffe people in the snow.

While I agree that silly giraffe people are the worst, there really wasn't anything realistic we could do. Tiamet has been stuck in her own depression for years (I'm bad with lore so I don't know how long this has been, centuries, millennia?), her situation was sad but there's nothing anyone can do or could have done in the recent past. Even Middy knew that it wasn't worth hanging around.

Edit: That being said, it was a well done addition to the story. Didn't get me as much as the scene right at the very end in Coerthas but I felt feels.

Tc91

It's not bad. they double all xp you get from story quests, and just always be well fed for the xtra 3% for killing enemies and also any resting xp bonus. It is pretty quick really.

Where did you leave off?

I think I didn't do any quests past the final story quest when you get the Magitek Armor, so basically right as you ding 50.

Quest I am on at the moment is called Rock-Solid Perfection.

MogCakes

Au Ra girls are in vogue. Or at least, they've got catgirls on the defensive for the title of sexiest race.

The Au Ra dudes though...

Kitoro

Is there a referral thread or spreadsheet anywhere, so that new GAF players can use our codes, and we can start saving up for our referral dragons?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is there a referral thread or spreadsheet anywhere, so that new GAF players can use our codes, and we can start saving up for our referral dragons?

I don't think there is. If somebody wants to create one, here are my 3 codes somebody can use if they are starting FFXIV and want the free stuff.
WYXSRKYD
R4Y2Z78R
6A5ZNZEP

I never did get through all the Coil story, but what the hell is Alphinaud's sister doing right now? I hate that she's referenced but never seen. Is she in a coma? lol

Also can we just talk about how incredible the soundtrack for Heavensward is? Start to finish it was nothing but incredible music at every step. I mean heck, every boss theme is hype, right to the very end.

Been listening to this on repeat:

MAJOR LATE GAME SPOILERS! DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE STORY!

https://goo.gl/036Uwd

EDIT: Fixed URL in case people have Youtube extensions.

WolvenOne

Well, finished the primary storyline last night. My thoughts, without spoilers. Well, okay there are spoilers but I've tried to gray things out in addition to not going into specific details.

Very strong opening, they really did a good job of making Ishgard come to life.
The plotlines started in 2.5 ended up being somewhat disappointing however. It feels like they took an easy way out of a deliciously dramatic situation. Hopefully they can salvage this a bit later, because the political intrigue angle really worked well.
The middle was extremely strong as well, largely because it delved into the settings lore quite a bit. The settings lore is excellent, so this ends up working quite well.
The only disappointment was with the ultimate villain of the story. That particular trope is just a bit overused, and if they did go that direction I had hoped that they would've gone into more, morally gray areas in terms of motivation.
The ending felt way too rushed for my taste though, and there's a HUGE gaping plot hole that I just can't figure out. Why were they there?
Why the heck did everyone congregate to this one specific location? It feels like everyone arrived for the sole purpose of having a dramatic finish, but that makes no sense. I think they could have easily invented a sensible reason for every major player to congregate at this certain location, but they seemed to just rush through any such concerns.

Despite some complaints, I'm overall very happy with the story, and think they did a reasonably good job. I
kinda get the impression that the end was rushed a bit however. It felt like there was more story there, but they just didn't have the time to really tell it.

Hopefully they flesh some of this out in subsequent patches.

Uthred

Isn't it standard for raids to be too difficult to do with randoms across most MMOs? WoW intrigued flex raids and raid finder which appar early made them easier to do with randoms. Before that though I'm guessing it had to be done with a static.

Any WoW players around who can comment?

You are guessing wrong. The "casual raiding" peaked in WotLK where even before they introduced that games equivalent of Echo you could rock through Icecrown Citadel with a 10 man or 25 man pug and complete most if not all of it. The raids in WoW (with Icecrown Citadel aside actually) werent as central or important to the story of the game (which itself doesnt have the same place the narrative does in FFXIV) as they are in this. WoW also generally didnt do "statics" in the same way this game did. Most guilds ran a sign-up system, where raids were scheduled and you signed up, assuming you were geared for it you generally got accepted and that was it so the formation of raids could vary within the week and generally did from week to week. Some rolls, generally tanks, ended up a little more static and initial progression would be a little more static (because the first raid group would get better gear so were more effective and so on). But it was more fluid than how people seem to do it in FFXIV (though I've only been in the GAF guild so perhaps smaller or more focused guilds operate differently). Really its in the companies best interest to make as much of their content accessible to as much of their player base as possible, simply on a man hours vs return standpoint. Having a normal mode for people who are interested in the story and a hard mode for people who are interested in/capable of "hardcore" raiding seems the best way to do it.

Dunan

Extremely elementary question, but I might as well ask:

* What are the things that give you bonus experience when done daily? I know that the highest-level Duty Roulette does, and that you can do a certain number of quests for the beast tribes (those kobolds up in Limsa never stop making me laugh). But what else is there? Other kinds of roulette? Are there additional bonuses for lower level dungeons, primal fights, and main story bosses? I'm at level 53 but would like to move a little quicker.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Extremely elementary question, but I might as well ask:

* What are the things that give you bonus experience when done daily? I know that the highest-level Duty Roulette does, and that you can do a certain number of quests for the beast tribes (those kobolds up in Limsa never stop making me laugh). But what else is there? Other kinds of roulette? Are there additional bonuses for lower level dungeons, primal fights, and main story bosses? I'm at level 53 but would like to move a little quicker.

Low level and trial roulette as well.

PowerTaxi

Banned

Only been dc'd once and that was when the whole Chaos data centre went down for half an hour.

I think I didn't do any quests past the final story quest when you get the Magitek Armor, so basically right as you ding 50.

Quest I am on at the moment is called Rock-Solid Perfection.

honestly it shouldn't take you long so far as you really stick to just story quests. Since you are already at 50 shouldn't be a problem for the most part. It might take a couple days but you aren't as far as you think

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I honestly think Coil was just too hard for a lot of people.
I used to see people forming Coil parties saying "please know the fight" in advance. I was still going through the main scenario at the time, seems I missed out.
I too would love to finally do turns 6 to 13 at some point. Maybe when much of GAF has finished Heavensward, we can get some Coil clearing parties going. Groups always get together to help people do older content; after I finished my Relic weapon with some help from GAF (ages ago), I joined one and we helped someone else do the whole train what felt like an hor or so. It was great.
Unfortunately I'm not on GAF's guild/server. :(

I quit doing Coil at Turn 5. Not because it was hard (it really wasn't, we had a good group). It was just not fun banging my head into a wall over and over and over until you learn the mechanics well enough to win. Wiping constantly just for the one victory only to be replaced with another boss with more wiping... is not fun to me.

XenoRaven

I used to see people forming Coil parties saying "please know the fight" in advance. I was still going through the main scenario at the time, seems I missed out.

Unfortunately I'm not on GAF's guild/server. :(
What server are you on? I hope I didn't already ask this.

WolvenOne

Only been dc'd once and that was when the whole Chaos data centre went down for half an hour.

I think I was DCed once, but I have noticed some random lag that appeared to mostly be server-side, (as far as I can well.) It seems to have settled down somewhat since the first hotfix however, so overall yeah it's been pretty smooth.

Top Bottom