• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Questions about end game story:

Who was the old lady and what did she do in 1.0?

What the fuck was the mech that came out of the water. They literally gave no context for any of it, and cut away as soon as it was up.

Now that I remembered that the Aether Compass was a thing, I had much less trouble in the Dravanian Hinterlands.

Shocking news, right?

I'm 59. Gonna pull an all nighter tonight and try to wrap things up, I think.

Sorian

Banned
Questions about end game story:

Who was the old lady and what did she do in 1.0?

What the fuck was the mech that came out of the water. They literally gave no context for any of it, and cut away as soon as it was up.

For your second question:

That's Alexander, the raid that will be conquering people's souls in the 3.x series

Edit:
and they gave no context because the quest to unlock it will drop in a week and a half, it was just a tease for those in the know

Korezo

Is it possible to go to the Southwest part of the map by foot in CWH? I been trying to get up their since yesterday but don't see any way how..

WolvenOne

Is it nice up on the moon? Or is this like the moon landing and you filmed that in a studio? Can you throw that one down to the planet too?

It's cold and lonely. I only have an old man in white to talk to, and he keeps going on and on about protecting those that sleep. Pls send blankets.

For your second question:

That's Alexander, the raid that will be conquering people's souls in the 3.x series

Edit:
and they gave no context because the quest to unlock it will drop in a week and a half, it was just a tease for those in the know

You are fucking kidding me.

I had a mini blackout with heavensward, so i figured alexander was going to be another allagan thing, specifically another floating island or some such like the last area. Is this another nod from a previous game? Link me plz!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You are fucking kidding me.

I had a mini blackout with heavensward, so i figured alexander was going to be another allagan thing, specifically another floating island or some such like the last area. Is this another nod from a previous game? Link me plz!

Alexander is a common summon from the series. He's usually a castle of some sort. See FF9 for the best one.

XenoRaven

I haven't finished the story but
I wish I didn't know Alexander was the new raid. The part of the story I just got to makes it abundantly clear how he's summoned,
and it would have been cooler if it was a surprise.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dang. And Data is on another server too. I'm on Adamantoise.
Damn, we're all split. :(

In other news, tried to do Odin today and got paired with level synced peeps rocking i139 gear while I'm still wearing my Ironworks. I was last to wipe each time, lol.

Sorian

Banned
I haven't finished the story but
I wish I didn't know Alexander was the new raid. The part of the story I just got to makes it abundantly clear how he's summoned,
and it would have been cooler if it was a surprise.

As someone who finished the story, I'm thinking it might not be as obvious as you think.

XenoRaven

Damn, we're all split. :(

In other news, tried to do Odin today and got paired with level synced peeps rocking i139 gear while I'm still wearing my Ironworks. I was last to wipe each time, lol.
Seems like everyone's equal in terms of gear until the raid drops. No gear to look at and say "OK this person has actually cleared content other than Hunts".

XenoRaven

As someone who finished the story, I'm thinking it might not be as obvious as you think.
Interesting. Hopefully I'll eat my words.
The part about Thordan allowing chaos in Ishgard in order to inspire more prayers while Lahabrea stands behind him seems like a sure thing, but maybe he has a plan.

Edit: fffff double post shoot me

Kinda spoiler for just before the Vault dungeon:
Ruby Carbuncle in that solo instance... I want it ;_;.

Right?! I'm assuming the point of this is to make it clear that the Scions are formidible combatants. Before, they'd just make you do all the dirty work, but now, Alphanaud fights with you all the time.

I'd love to know the context of how he was able to summon Ruby Carbuncle. Given his text, it sounds like it's something he'd been working on for awhile, and is more like a trump card.

I love stuff like that.

Sorian

Banned
Interesting. Hopefully I'll eat my words.
The part about Thordan allowing chaos in Ishgard in order to inspire more prayers while Lahabrea stands behind him seems like a sure thing, but maybe he has a plan.

Edit: fffff double post shoot me

You took that in a direction I wasn't expecting tbh, but I stand by my earlier statement.

Zomba13

I wonder if
they'll update her look in the new Dissidia game too...

I hope so. Or maybe it'll just be an alt costume because more people know her by the old one? I'm looking forawrd tot he rest of the scion redesigns. The 1.0 ones were just so bland. Just normal equips.

Sorian

Banned
I hope so. Or maybe it'll just be an alt costume because more people know her by the old one? I'm looking forawrd tot he rest of the scion redesigns. The 1.0 ones were just so bland. Just normal equips.

I hope they make Minfilia wear less clothes for her eventual return. I'll take another implied nudity scene as well. tyvm.

WolvenOne

I kinda get the impression that much of the roadmap for 2.0, was put together under the assumption that the game wouldn't be terribly successful. Feels like they're putting a whole lot more effort into things now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Seems like everyone's equal in terms of gear until the raid drops. No gear to look at and say "OK this person has actually cleared content other than Hunts".
Ahh, I still find their lack of dodging AOE's disturbing and the WHM told the SCH he was shit and stormed off after the 2nd wipe.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I kinda get the impression that much of the roadmap for 2.0, was put together under the assumption that the game wouldn't be terribly successful. Feels like they're putting a whole lot more effort into things now.

That sub money. That cash shop money.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I know this has been asked before, but Do i need a real reborn to play this, or does Heavensward contains a realm reborn?

There is an all in one pack you can buy, but yes you need ARR to do the new content and you need to complete the ARR story before you can do the expansion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

If normal mode Alexander is as easy as everyone is thinking, it probably won't be uncommon to see that stuff either.

WolvenOne

If normal mode Alexander is as easy as everyone is thinking, it probably won't be uncommon to see that stuff either.

Crossing my fingers that it'll be somewhere in between WoD and Extreme Primals. Seems like a good spot to me, enough difficulty so as to require effort, not so much that it should feel like a brick wall to non-raiders.

Caja 117

There is an all in one pack you can buy, but yes you need ARR to do the new content and you need to complete the ARR story before you can do the expansion.

You need both, there is a bundle that sells both together from different places as well.

Thanks!!! I have realm reborn and haven't finished it yet, so my best bet is to buy the standalone expansion, right? and the Expansion is launched from the realm reborn disc, right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Crossing my fingers that it'll be somewhere in between WoD and Extreme Primals. Seems like a good spot to me, enough difficulty so as to require effort, not so much that it should feel like a brick wall to non-raiders.

Which Extreme though? Titan was always considered the "gate" to Turn 5, for example.

Zomba13

3.0 feels like SE giving Yoshida the budget he deserves. Like, 2.0 was a salvage project, take as much of this failure as possible and turn it into something passable, not good, not great, just not bad. And with that he did a fantastic job and turned it into something great even if the main story was a bit iffy in a few places. With 3.0 it seems like SE saw what he did on a salvage job and gave him enough money to actually make something fantastic and he did it. Bigger, better areas, a much better story with a lot more voice acting and higher production values and the ability to redesign major characters from their 1.0 look (outside of stapling a beard or goggles to them like in 2.0). I can't wait to see what the 2.x patches bring and the eventual 4.0.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks!!! I have realm reborn and haven't finished it yet, so my best bet is to buy the standalone expansion, right? and the Expansion is launched from the realm reborn disc, right?

Yes and yes. I wouldn't bother buying the expac until you are level 50 though. You will get 0 benefits from owning it until that point. Once at 50, you'll still have to finish the ARR story line but with the expac, you'll get getting exp during those quests towards your 60 level cap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yeah if you already have ARR just buy the expansion. It comes as a download once you've registered your code for it.

So, I did trials roulette and got Ravana.

We ended up with 3 swords. I was so sure we were going to die, but still used medica II before the move and it was down to me and two tanks. I healed them up, raised the other healer and went into party heal mode while the other healer raised the rest of the party.

This was the result:

Close Call Ravana

Sorian

Banned
So, I did trials roulette and got Ravana.

We ended up with 3 swords. I was so sure we were going to die, but still used medica II before the move and it was down to me and two tanks. I healed them up, raised the other healer and went into party heal mode while the other healer raised the rest of the party.

This was the result:

Close Call Ravana

I learned last night that when Ravana enrages, he just scatters swords to every corner of the arena and just dashes constantly until everyone dies. Probably one of my favorite enrages.

Teknoman

Well that and they couldnt just give everyone new clothes right off the bat / no context. This is the same game that took player comments about monsters / wildlife being too small to be a threat, increased the size by alot, and then tied in the reasoning to Dalamud having an adverse effect on the world's aether.

I think there was even a quest in 1.0 or at least a lore post about it on the front page.

Top Bottom