• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I need to join the GAF FC lol. Been on this game since August and never thought of joining despite seeing gaffers run by me all the time.

Item Box

The new FC house actually doesn't look too bad. It's a shame the mailbox hasn't been changed, I hate that notification sound it makes

Jeels

So I am not a fan of this plot twist that (level 51)
the sultana isn't actually dead...it was a big event in the story and just like game of thrones having characters not actually die, it diminishes the impact of events and gives characters plot armor..

Moaradin

So I am not a fan of this plot twist that (level 51)
the sultana isn't actually dead...it was a big event in the story and just like game of thrones having characters not actually die, it diminishes the impact of events and gives characters plot armor..

I didn't really mind it. Heavensward already has a few big consequences so it's not like they cheap out on everything.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I hit level 50 today. Been subbed for about ten days or so. I guess I should buy the expansion pack to keep earning experience while I'm pushing forward through the main storyline, but I suspect I have a ways to go before I actually open up expansion content.

This game is very strange compared to other MMOs. One of the things that stood out to me immediately was the language that's used in the game. Pretty much every character in World of Warcraft has a fifth grader's vocabulary, but FFXIV kind of stretches further with its language than other MMOs I've played. It doesn't always use these words correctly, but the effort counts for a lot and it helps create a unique voice for the game.

The community is also just...odd. Unlike anything I've seen in other MMOs. After hitting 50 I returned to a capital city, walked out on to the street, and almost immediately had a total stranger launch into an extremely enthusiastic speech about how cute my character was. Super weird and maybe unsettling, but they were also very nice and it's the sort of player interaction that sticks out as something organic at least. The quality of the character models and emotes has this bizarre effect on player interactions inside the game, and I think it's pretty easy for players to bombard each other with emotes in a way that's amusing. It kind of serves as a great ice breaker, and I honestly think it's one of the reasons people are so talkative inside dungeons, out in the world, etc.

AXE

Had some trouble getting the MQ going at 2.55, but stumbled over it.

Been levelling DRK since and currently at 49. Then I'll be able to gear up my tank crap and hit the actual expansion. I suppose it kinda tells me something about the game when I don't mind tanking the old content at all. This is a fun game to play and for the past few years I don't think I've actually played anything else seriously. I've bought games alright, but I find myself returning to this game.

It's silly how much fun I have with this

Just came in to say that. Time for some drinks now.

Ceebs

Got my Astrologian to 51 today and started slogging my way through the MSQ.

My favorite aspect of this game is just the sheer number of dungeons in it.

Instanced dungeons are my absolute favorite part of MMOs and this one has them in spades and they have a ton of variety to them. I missed out on almost all of the lvl 50 ones that were not MSQ required, so I will have to go back to those at some point.

Item Box

Got my Astrologian to 51 today and started slogging my way through the MSQ.

My favorite aspect of this game is just the sheer number of dungeons in it.

Instanced dungeons are my absolute favorite part of MMOs and this one has them in spades and they have a ton of variety to them. I missed out on almost all of the lvl 50 ones that were not MSQ required, so I will have to go back to those at some point.
Take note that 2.0 dungeons post 50 don't give xp unless you're doing duty roulette.

So I'm at level 55 and I just got the big reveal.
HOLY SHIT AND EVERYONE WAS DRAGONS. This has got to be my favorite FF plot twist EVER. Hraesvelgr: "lol your history is lies and it doesn't matter anyway you all turn to dragons when you die anyway so you'll never win this fucking war. Get FUCKED FOR KILLING OUR FAMILY AND STARTING THIS SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

SOOOOOO GOOD

finalflame

So, I've been trying to get a spot on Balmung for a week now. I have tried 11pm, 4am, 6am, 5am, and immediately before/after server maintenance. I have seen every server but Gilgamesh and Balmung open up for new characters.

I know the system is supposed to be automated, but have they just closed down Gilg and Balmung for characters altogether? It's impossible to think that a minute before maintenance and at 2:01am on a weekday after maintenance Balmung was at high enough pop to still not be allowing new character creation.

SOLDIER

Okay, I've been having this annoying problem for a while where the game keeps resetting some of my settings. Specifically, it keeps enabling to play music when mounted, lowers AF to 8, turns off realtime reflections, and other random settings while still keeping others how I left them.

How the heck do I make these settings stick? I keep hitting Apply and Closed, and it says "Settings Saved", but they always reset when I exit the game.

So, I've been trying to get a spot on Balmung for a week now. I have tried 11pm, 4am, 6am, 5am, and immediately before/after server maintenance. I have seen every server but Gilgamesh and Balmung open up for new characters.

I know the system is supposed to be automated, but have they just closed down Gilg and Balmung for characters altogether? It's impossible to think that a minute before maintenance and at 2:01am on a weekday after maintenance Balmung was at high enough pop to still not be allowing new character creation.

I feel your pain dude, I picked up the game Wednesday and I'm still haven't been able to get into Balmung.

I've only played up to the character creation :(

HOLY SHIT AND EVERYONE WAS DRAGONS. This has got to be my favorite FF plot twist EVER. Hraesvelgr: "lol your history is lies and it doesn't matter anyway you all turn to dragons when you die anyway so you'll never win this fucking war. Get FUCKED FOR KILLING OUR FAMILY AND STARTING THIS SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

SOOOOOO GOOD

Technically, only the Ishgardians are dragon people as they were the ones who took Ratatoskr's power. The rest of Eorzea isn't. Also, they don't turn into dragons when they die, they do if they drink dragon blood. Like the mobs in Snowcloak, Stone Vigil HM etc.

I personally think the Ishgardians (and the rest of Eorzea) are well within their rights to tell the dragons to go fuck themselves. THEY didn't start it. Their ancestors did. Which is why the whole "oh the dragons are sooo ancient and wise and to them then was as now" bullshit doesn't fly. If they were REALLY wise they'd realize that children shouldn't pay for their parents' mistakes. Now the dragons are just assholes who kill people that did nothing to them. JUST LIKE THE ELEZEN WHO SCREWED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Yeah, real wise.

I look forward to beating some dragon ass in coming storylines.

finalflame

I feel your pain dude, I picked up the game Wednesday and I'm still haven't been able to get into Balmung.

I've only played up to the character creation :(

Glad I'm not the only one :/ I have a CNJ up to 20 on Adamantoise but really don't wanna take it any further because I know I wanna play on Balmung. Maybe it's just temporarily locked for these weeks following the expansion :/

Glad I'm not the only one :/ I have a CNJ up to 20 on Adamantoise but really don't wanna take it any further because I know I wanna play on Balmung. Maybe it's just temporarily locked for these weeks following the expansion :/

I'm considering just transferring a character for the $18, cus I know I probably won't get in in over the heavy traffic weekend.

finalflame

That's what I've been lead to believe. I could be wrong tho.

Sweet, just gave SqEnix $18 to get over to Balmung. If I had known I could just buy my way in, I would have just done this from the beginning :p

Now to wait for the transfer to "complete". The form says it can take anywhere from minutes to a few hours, so hopefully not too long!

also, hit me up if you wanna play together on Balmung!

Edit: Aaaaaand my character transfer was done in seconds. I feel dirty that throwing money at this got me what weeks of waking up in the middle of the night couldn't get. Sigh.

Technically, only the Ishgardians are dragon people as they were the ones who took Ratatoskr's power. The rest of Eorzea isn't. Also, they don't turn into dragons when they die, they do if they drink dragon blood. Like the mobs in Snowcloak, Stone Vigil HM etc.

I personally think the Ishgardians (and the rest of Eorzea) are well within their rights to tell the dragons to go fuck themselves. THEY didn't start it. Their ancestors did. Which is why the whole "oh the dragons are sooo ancient and wise and to them then was as now" bullshit doesn't fly. If they were REALLY wise they'd realize that children shouldn't pay for their parents' mistakes. Now the dragons are just assholes who kill people that did nothing to them. JUST LIKE THE ELEZEN WHO SCREWED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Yeah, real wise.

You have to think about it from this perspective though. Nidhogg is like the leader of this dragon war and he was the one who saw the original sin that caused the start of the war, which was his sister being murdered and him being subsequently getting beat up in the ensuring fight. I fully understand why he is eternally pissed despite being wise.

Wise =/= Unable to get pissed. Course deciding to genocide every 'human' is going overboard.

Hraesvelgr's situation is a bit different since the Shiva shit happened. He just does not care, he's not gonna help the dragons win but he also isn't going to stop them either. I can't say if that's wise or simply being apathetic because he too is pissed about what happened.

Wilsongt

SOOOOOO GOOD

But is that really what he said? Like, truly what he said? Let's turn the voices to the JP voice actors and really listen and analyze what he said, but I don't think that's what he said because what he says in Japanese may not be what he said in English and we just have to be sure that what he said in English is exactly what he said in Japanese.

English.

Japanese.

Localization.

Whatever.

m_dorian

I am playing very casually and going very slow due to RL and such but i reached 15 on 4 classes and 4 professions. And i am enjoying this. Sometimes i get the same good feeling i had when i started playing WoW or LotRO.
Too many invisible walls though, an unfortunate necessity.
Also the GAF Free Company is full of activity, a great place to be.

Klyka

Banned
I am playing very casually and going very slow due to RL and such but i reached 15 on 4 classes and 4 professions. And i am enjoying this. Sometimes i get the same good feeling i had when i started playing WoW or LotRO.
Too many invisible walls though, an unfortunate necessity.
Also the GAF Free Company is full of activity, a great place to be.

Once you get the heavensward zones, invisible walls are gone,apart from the zone boundaries for flying.

Stuart444

Just completed The Vault...

Haurchefant ;_; NOOOOOOOOOO.

Also as a side note: The facial expressions on our character are so much better now.

Zero2kz

I pre-ordered the digital collectors edition last Saturday, and I just realized I never got my registration code when the expansion was officially released. And my account has no payment history for the purchase, yet they still took my $60.

I got my early access code.

:\

Started playing last night after playing a bit last year. Switched from an arcanist to a rogue and I'm really enjoying it. Got to 17 yesterday, maybe casters aren't for me.

dramatis

The mighty power of the PS3.

Ek5lQ8E.jpg

I hit level 50 today. Been subbed for about ten days or so. I guess I should buy the expansion pack to keep earning experience while I'm pushing forward through the main storyline, but I suspect I have a ways to go before I actually open up expansion content.

This game is very strange compared to other MMOs. One of the things that stood out to me immediately was the language that's used in the game. Pretty much every character in World of Warcraft has a fifth grader's vocabulary, but FFXIV kind of stretches further with its language than other MMOs I've played. It doesn't always use these words correctly, but the effort counts for a lot and it helps create a unique voice for the game.

The community is also just...odd. Unlike anything I've seen in other MMOs. After hitting 50 I returned to a capital city, walked out on to the street, and almost immediately had a total stranger launch into an extremely enthusiastic speech about how cute my character was. Super weird and maybe unsettling, but they were also very nice and it's the sort of player interaction that sticks out as something organic at least. The quality of the character models and emotes has this bizarre effect on player interactions inside the game, and I think it's pretty easy for players to bombard each other with emotes in a way that's amusing. It kind of serves as a great ice breaker, and I honestly think it's one of the reasons people are so talkative inside dungeons, out in the world, etc.

Glad you're enjoying it.

I've only recently started feeling the emote effect once I switched to Au Ra for the expansion. I was a Hyur Highlander before which is pretty bog standard, but I always saw the emote thing with lalafells. Au Ra have really good emotes so even now I find myself running around and spamming /cheer, somethign I never did before.

Also, if you're looking for more pre-expansion content you should find some people to take you through the Coil of Bahamut which was the end-game raid content in the 2.x series. It's got a really good story that leads into Heavensward in some interesting ways.

I'm also glad that you enjoyed the ARR stuff because everything's about to get even better in Heavensward. Except Neverreap. Fuck Neverreap.

Zomba13

I thought I'm in the minority when it comes to hating Reap. It's the worst.

I'm not a fan of either of the 60 dungeons. Neverreap is just kinda boring and annoying with the tornados and water thingies and the other one is a very cool concept with nice notes but it feels super long (even if it isn't, it feels it).

Then again the 2.0 lvl 50 dungeons were both the most boring ones so hopefully the new ones are more fun.

I prefer Neverreap cause it's quite a lot easier with a meh group, the mechanics are relatively simple. Last boss of Fractal is insanely annoying if people don't do all the things right, especially when not overgeared. Don't really like either though, I much preferred Vault to all the dungeons so far. The story dungeon is pretty cool too, a bit long on the trash but the last fight is great.

I like the story dungeon and Fractal. Neverreap has too many annoying mechanics in it like tornadoes etc.

I wish the story dungeon gave loot and was part of the EXDR so people would do it more. It's a super fun dungeon. The second boss is incredible.

Nobody actually said that the dragons are as a whole are wise, though. Heck,
we do some sidequests for them and see that they are just like any other sentient species. Some wise, some playful, some prejudiced, etc etc.

Zomba13

I think the dragons
are understandable. For what was ten life times ago for the Elezen was just a bit earlier in the life of a currant dragon. Like, you might still be pissed at something from a month ago when there are some insects that only live a week at most. The Dragons remember that stuff like it was yesterday but Elezen have forgotten it and only know of the stories told to them.

dramatis

FF14 3.0 Unspoiled/Ephemeral Nodes + other good gatherers info spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ML_lfYsf1QRZkTXFDU0nkN-Bn4/htmlview?sle=true#

3.0 Daily Hunt Mob Locations spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...01SgBCWQtgHlMHs/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Aether Current Maps and Quest spreadsheet
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/239587-Aether-Current-Locations
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1493L7c3hWGQKSMZ57YvF4s66o1Y7l9WMBmLndEdZLTA/htmlview?pli=1

Thanks to Apolly Chan from GAF who pretty much found the links to all of the above I think.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Dragons remember that shit like it was yesterday. Just as the people impacted by the Holocaust tend to remember that. Or those still impacted by slavery. And so on. Also, remember that this is mostly just Nidhogg's brood fighting this war. A lot of others are just defending themselves or staying out of it.

That said...depending where you are in the storyline, this isn't the ONLY terrible shit to happen to Dragons minding their own business. The Allag Empire, the genocide they committed, what they did to Bahamut and more also burn in their memories.

The story about the original sin was very good, but it was the scene with Tiamat that really sealed the deal for me. T-T

Finally starting the story on my DRK. Doing level 51 story stuff right now

Am I the only one who see serious Game of Thrones influence here?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tried some hunts last night. What a mistake that was! I'll probably just stick to the daily ones until Alexander at this rate.

Top Bottom