• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I actually saw a comment from Yoshida on this where he said if they upped the number of items that could be held, they'd have to lower the refresh rate of the server so you'd be more likely to lose items in the even of a server crash. Worth it imo but whatver.

How is this even possible? Almost every MMO today has hundreds of "item slots" for digital hoarders. What the hell are they doing differently that they might actually lose items if a server crashes?

How is this even possible? Almost every MMO today has hundreds of "item slots" for digital hoarders. What the hell are they doing differently that they might actually lose items if a server crashes?

What they are doing differently is having this game on ps3. All the excuses in the world that they keep on using, do not take away from the fact that ps3 is severely limiting what they are able to do with the game. They keep using these excuses however, because the core playerbase will eat it all up and actually believe that is the reason why. Most people that play mmos do not look on forums and see the arguments people are making, they don't understand that their game is being limited by being on last gen hardware.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Se seems to have all these quality of life things they don't do for because of their servers. It's really strange.

Zetta

So during MSQ I was asked if I had lusteyes for this person's junk. I know what they meant but they were really having fun with this game.

Rj58VqV.png
Favorite new minion easily.

I just wish some of these dropped from maps or something...it took me 50 something dungeon runs before I finally saw A minion drop from a dungeon and it was the Page 63 one...which I lost anyways.

Just started playing my lvl 31 Summoner again and remember I had to stop playing because it felt mostly like a dot class does this improve at all later on?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just started playing my lvl 31 Summoner again and remember I had to stop playing because it felt mostly like a dot class does this improve at all later on?
It's a DoT focused class. At 35 you get Fester, which is a big burst spell based around having your DoTs up. I don't really know why you would expect something different.

JCizzle

It's a DoT focused class. At 35 you get Fester, which is a big burst spell based around having your DoTs up. I don't really know why you would expect something different.

I was actually going to ask if there is a DoT oriented class, I thought it was more of a pet class. Good to know.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Why are you never on Steam

Guess Who

Banned
What they are doing differently is having this game on ps3. All the excuses in the world that they keep on using, do not take away from the fact that ps3 is severely limiting what they are able to do with the game. They keep using these excuses however, because the core playerbase will eat it all up and actually believe that is the reason why. Most people that play mmos do not look on forums and see the arguments people are making, they don't understand that their game is being limited by being on last gen hardware.

Pfft, the PS3 definitely holds the game back in some ways but you're just being silly if you honestly believe the PS3 just ~couldn't handle~ a larger inventory.

MogCakes

I've been having connection problems with my PS4 for well over 2 hours. I restart it for the umpteenth time and decide to go ahead and turn off my wireless headset that's connected to my PS4 and suddenly BAM, connection's back to normal. Guess I won't be using this headset much...

So I've just hit 32 with my ARC/SCH/SMN and was just wondering, I was thinking of levelling mostly as the SMN as it's DPS but then I could queue for dungeons as a Scholar for healing. But I don't really know much about the Scholar or what the new summons do, do I have the support one out or the healing one in instances?

Also, when I'm levelling up I'm just putting it all in INT. Is there a way to have the Summoner have INT / Scholar have Mind? Or just too bad, I have to focus on one or the other with my attributes?

Also, I guess just in general where is a good resource/lets play/wiki on actually playing this classes, and some like 'must do' things like for example should I level my sub classes of THM or CNJ to certain levels so I can grab certain skills from them?

I just feel so lost in this game sometimes and feel like I"m not doing it as efficiently as possible. I'm paranoid about just being an idiot in it ever since I played WoW back in original and tried to go survival / melee hunter :(

EDIT: Also is there a point to levelling up my crafting like say, weaver so I can create gear as I level, or cooking so I can create buff food or just blast grind it when I'm 50 at the end?

Just tried to queue for Frontlines and seems like PVP is dead.

No 60 cap changes in the launch is a huge sign. Stings even worse knowing it's nearly a month before the next PVP update. :(

At least they're making more of an effort than FFXI did. I really enjoyed FFXI PVP, but outside of me and maybe a couple hundred others... no one played it.

Squishy3

Finished Heavensward. Ending spoilers below:

That final fucking fight. Had the stupidest grin on my face when Knights of the Round got cast. Also lol all those reused mechanics, people said you could go in pretty much blind but nearly every mechanic is reused from previous FFXIV content, can't even call it a blind run when I've seen pretty much every mechanic the fight had to offer. Why did they even bother to put Warrior of Darkness in the launch trailer, lmao? I expected him to be what Lahabrea and that other Ascian turned into during the final fight of the research facility, lol. And he lives on the moon? Okay.

Lol at the goblins waking up Alexander by accident.

No 60 cap changes in the launch is a huge sign. Stings even worse knowing it's nearly a month before the next PVP update. :(

At least they're making more of an effort than FFXI did. I really enjoyed FFXI PVP, but outside of me and maybe a couple hundred others... no one played it.

i haven't looked at their pvp plans. how much do we know? i want to focus on pvp until everything is maxed, provided the new map doesn't suck. the last one was hot garbage aimed at the fate/hunt community.

MogCakes

So I've reached the final zone and what I'm basically getting is
the Allagans were clearly a capitalist society and used vernacular similar to modern day programmers.

Effect

So I signed back up for the game earlier this week. Didn't buy Heavensward since my highest class was a level 44 Thm/Black Mage. Currently up to level 47 and locked out of story quest until level 49. I need some advice if anyone can give some.

Kinda stuck with a problem and that is how to finish leveling up and not drive myself crazy in the process. I could Fate grind my way up to 50 then carry on with the rest of the story that is available and then get Heavensward. This is very boring but it would likely get me to that level the quickest in the end. I wouldn't have to depend on other players to do it either. I've been doing this off and on. It's what I did to finish up level 45 and 46 when I was done with the story quest and couldn't advance. I rather not keep doing this if I can help it.

Second option. I can grind dungeons. I would like to do more dungeons in general. Now outside of the dungeons for the story I haven't done them a lot in the past when I used to play. The reason I haven't done them outside of a few times is because when I attempted them I always ended up with players that wanted to just speed through the entire thing (likely because they have run it tons of times). I never got a chance to explore the dungeon or even learn the dungeons. I was just running after the rest of the team and targeting what the tank pulled. I could learn boss patterns easy enough and I guess they're the highlights of the dungeons but I would like to experience it all. The entire experience, even the story dungeons, weren't any fun ultimately. I know if I go down this route it will just be a repeat of this. The only option to address this I see at the moment is watching videos of dungeon runs to learn them and try to experience them that way. That just sucks. I think having to do that would be worse then grinding Fates. Might as well not even be playing the game anymore. There will be no surprises for me or a way for me to experience things first hand for the first time.

Maybe I've had bad luck in the past but getting people to slow down in the dungeons never worked out. They didn't want to nor cared to so I had no choice but to just feel following along and stop trying.

Third option is to keep doing the side quest I find. Grind Leves. This is slower then Fate grinding but a little more interesting I find because I'm not just apart of a mob of people running from one point of the map to the next. I have to deal with the enemy attacks, etc. This will still be very boring.

I'm really not sure what to do here. I'm at a point if I can't decide soon I might just stop playing and put one of the older Final Fantasy games to satisfy that Final Fantasy urge I've gotten lately.

yep pvp is currently dead. it was 10-20 minute queue for immortal flames before early access. now i had to wait 2 hours for a match. and the next one was a jip in 40 minutes.

i haven't looked at their pvp plans. how much do we know? i want to focus on pvp until everything is maxed, provided the new map doesn't suck. the last one was hot garbage aimed at the fate/hunt community.

i think someone over at reddit and bg translated that the new frontlines will have rotating spawns.

got into two pvp matches yesterday and was lucky enough to cap wolfsmark since i bought a DRK sword for glamour. can't wait until i get this sweet behemoth armor.

JP20150411_5.jpg

the first thing that happened in those two matches was adder and mael kissing each other's ass and double teaming flames right off the bat so it was obviously the same people that i've played with before hw dropped. i really hope when they rrelase the the frontlines update i have chance at getting the ads mount before everyone moves on.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just got Fang and Claw. I assume I just spam the shit out of this skill as long as I have Sharper Fang and Claw up or something?

dcye

So... many... spoilers... Some of my FC mates just don't care and blurt out things on the TS. Makes me want to strangle some.

For instance, related to Alphinaud (spoiler, obviously, please don't click unless you completed the story - I, myself, am only level 57 so far):
One of them begins to tell that he can summon ruby carbuncle (which I already knew about, no big deal). Then another adds that he has something else bigger he can summon... No need to be a genius to guess what Alphinaud will summon if one has cleared T12 (at least, that's my guess).

FFS, some really need to learn to shut up. I guess I will really avoid TS from now on. Even after many dramas (for things which really weren't spoilers and for things which were obviously spoilers), some are just unable to be cautious and enjoy teasing others too much.

Sorry, I needed to vent a little here.

Not gonna say what he summons that isnt ruby carbuncle but lets just say your imagination is getting way ahead of you.

Also; it has absolutely zero relevance to the story. I can see why they wouldn't consider it much of a spoiler.

Finally got around to booting up the Steam copy of ARR I bought and began playing the original character I made during the PS4 beta.

First, the game is gorgeous in PC. The Heavensward benchmark doesn't do the game Justice. Second, the cutscene after clearing Ul'Dah was awesome.
Villians wielding gunswords and a Magitek army
? Yes please!

I also submitted both the Guildworks & in-game apications to join the GAF free company.

My character name is Elana Highsmith. I'm currently running around Gridania trying to level the healer class to 15 so I can eventually unlock the Paladin job.

I just got Fang and Claw. I assume I just spam the shit out of this skill as long as I have Sharper Fang and Claw up or something?

no. it just adds a fourth hit to your combo when you have blood of the dragon up. fangclaw extend blood buff. full thrust and chaos thrust give you the sharper buff

blood doesn't go away if you mess up the combo only the sharper buff

the first thing that happened in those two matches was adder and mael kissing each other's ass and double teaming flames right off the bat so it was obviously the same people that i've played with before hw dropped. i really hope when they rrelase the the frontlines update i have chance at getting the ads mount before everyone moves on.

The flames have the most absolute stupid group of mages, they don't even try. They deserve to lose. They also bring twice as many tanks to the fight as the other teams, this was fine when it was base holding and not this new shitty mid only PVP.

Not much, it's so far off. :( I imagine we'll hear more about it in one of the upcoming live letters.

I just got in a game. My MCH does like no damage lol.

EDIT: They need more varied objectives. I would really like a CTF Frontlines. Really they should just copy SWTOR's Warzones and call it a day. I won't judge.

So... many... spoilers... Some of my FC mates just don't care and blurt out things on the TS. Makes me want to strangle some.

For instance, related to Alphinaud (spoiler, obviously, please don't click unless you completed the story - I, myself, am only level 57 so far):
One of them begins to tell that he can summon ruby carbuncle (which I already knew about, no big deal). Then another adds that he has something else bigger he can summon... No need to be a genius to guess what Alphinaud will summon if one has cleared T12 (at least, that's my guess).

FFS, some really need to learn to shut up. I guess I will really avoid TS from now on. Even after many dramas (for things which really weren't spoilers and for things which were obviously spoilers), some are just unable to be cautious and enjoy teasing others too much.

Sorry, I needed to vent a little here.

everytime there is a new patch i turn off the fc chat. people love dropping spoiler bombs.

"OH MY GOD" *insert spoiler here*

this week someone in my ls gave me a heart attack but it turned out to be MSQ instance failure.

turned every social channel off just in case.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I've just hit 32 with my ARC/SCH/SMN and was just wondering, I was thinking of levelling mostly as the SMN as it's DPS but then I could queue for dungeons as a Scholar for healing. But I don't really know much about the Scholar or what the new summons do, do I have the support one out or the healing one in instances?

Also, when I'm levelling up I'm just putting it all in INT. Is there a way to have the Summoner have INT / Scholar have Mind? Or just too bad, I have to focus on one or the other with my attributes?

Also, I guess just in general where is a good resource/lets play/wiki on actually playing this classes, and some like 'must do' things like for example should I level my sub classes of THM or CNJ to certain levels so I can grab certain skills from them?

I just feel so lost in this game sometimes and feel like I"m not doing it as efficiently as possible. I'm paranoid about just being an idiot in it ever since I played WoW back in original and tried to go survival / melee hunter :(

EDIT: Also is there a point to levelling up my crafting like say, weaver so I can create gear as I level, or cooking so I can create buff food or just blast grind it when I'm 50 at the end?
You can't separate the points cause both jobs share the same base class. There's an item the GC vendor carries that will let you respec your points though.

As for cross class skills; Protect, Cleric Stance, and Surecast are all low lv. Eventually you'll need to level THM to 26 (really boring to do btw) for Swiftcast. After that you can pickup Stoneskin from CNJ at 34.

Crafting can be fun, but do not bother doing it with the intention of gearing up your low lv main class. It's a huge time and gil sink. You'll be better off using quest, dungeon, and vendor gear to gear up your main class. Try picking up some gathering and crafting classes and use them to take a break from the battle quests when you're bored of doing them. If you enjoy doing it you can focus on lv'ing and gearing up your DoH/DoL classes after you gear up your main.

3.05 has a new frontlines map and rule. 3.1 supposedly will have skill based Wolves Den matchmaking. 3.2 or some later update will introduce PvP seasons to Wolves Den with the top players getting titles and special items.

So I signed back up for the game earlier this week. Didn't buy Heavensward since my highest class was a level 44 Thm/Black Mage. Currently up to level 47 and locked out of story quest until level 49. I need some advice if anyone can give some.
Fastest way will be to group up using PF and do N Than fates. It shouldn't take very long, especially right now that there's still some people lv'ing the new jobs.

Second best option would be dungeons but I'm not sure how bad the DPS queue times are right now at that lv. As for your dungeon hung up, I'd recommend you just get over it and if you can't maybe you should move on to other games. There's a lot of dungeons and boss fights ahead of you and most people in DF are in there for the exp or the bonus so you're gonna get grouped with a lot of speed runners. You can try stating that you're new and would like to experience the dungeon blind, but most people are overgeared for the 2.0 dungeons so even if they oblige you you might not get the experience you are looking for. If you really really don't want to watch videos or speed run youe only option is gonna be to find friends with the patience to do all dungeons like that for you or people new to the game who want to run it like that. Also DO NOT DF THE FIRST 2 LV 50 STORY DUNGEONS. They are long 8 man instances filled with cutscenes and are also in Main Scenario Roulette so you'll likely be grouped with people who do not want to be there and want to get it over with ASAP. Use PF or ask your FC to help you with a cutscene run, if you DF it you'll likely be locked out of most bosses while watching the cutscenes.

Ceebs

Yeah Arcanist kinda got screwed with the skill points. You allocate for both scholar and summoner. Just put them in the one you plan to play at the end. If you change your mind you can respec though for 10K Grand Company seals.

As for the Scholar, for most low level dungeons you are fine with either fairy. I always just use Eos for anything lower level than Stone Vigil. She will heal the dungeon almost on her own all the way up to around Brayflox. After the level 40 dungeons if you are not doing something that requires a ton of healing from you, I would use Selene. The buffs just let everyone else kill stuff faster.

It's like a year old, but this guide will probably help you out a ton.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1mky6x/scholar_healing_a_guide/

Kinda stuck with a problem and that is how to finish leveling up and not drive myself crazy in the process. I could Fate grind my way up to 50 then carry on with the rest of the story that is available and then get Heavensward. This is very boring but it would likely get me to that level the quickest in the end. I wouldn't have to depend on other players to do it either. I've been doing this off and on. It's what I did to finish up level 45 and 46 when I was done with the story quest and couldn't advance. I rather not keep doing this if I can help it.

Second option. I can grind dungeons. I would like to do more dungeons in general. Now outside of the dungeons for the story I haven't done them a lot in the past when I used to play. The reason I haven't done them outside of a few times is because when I attempted them I always ended up with players that wanted to just speed through the entire thing (likely because they have run it tons of times). I never got a chance to explore the dungeon or even learn the dungeons. I was just running after the rest of the team and targeting what the tank pulled. I could learn boss patterns easy enough and I guess they're the highlights of the dungeons but I would like to experience it all. The entire experience, even the story dungeons, weren't any fun ultimately. I know if I go down this route it will just be a repeat of this. The only option to address this I see at the moment is watching videos of dungeon runs to learn them and try to experience them that way. That just sucks. I think having to do that would be worse then grinding Fates. Might as well not even be playing the game anymore. There will be no surprises for me or a way for me to experience things first hand for the first time.

You are probably going to be out of luck on exploring a dungeon like you want. Even after your first run you will want it to go as fast as everyone else. The dungeons are 90% trash, and that is not fun for people to take their time on over and over again. My advice is to watch a quick guide to the dungeons so you know what the actual mechanics are for bosses. Then just run through the dungeon with them and if you want to explore you are free to run around in the cleared dungeon after the clear. Most of them are pretty linear though so there is not really much to explore.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Anyone else having issues with the DX11 version crashing on launch? It was working just fine earlier, but now it won't and yes I even hit the "reset system settings."

Hasney

I don't know if people are doing those quests before unlocking flight but you should really do that first.

It makes doing side quests A LOT easier in that area.

Got locked out of story before that could happen. Even then, some of the horror is having things on platforms that you can't even see from ground level, kupo.

Jeels

Just unlocked flying in my first zone....these giant maps suddenly make sense. Felt like a ramp simulator up until now...

iirate

Hey y'all, a friend just bought this game for me to try out, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for good newbie guides for an experienced MMO player(10 year WoW vet and FFXI xp as well). I'm mostly interested in understanding the different job play styles and how the sub job system works in this game, and I'd prefer to do some research before trying things out for myself.

Also, from what I understand, race means very little at end game. Is this correct?

Thanks. ^_^

Korezo

Damn early access over and I can't get xp unless I have heavensward... How can they lock xp/lvl cap behind a expansion..

Shy Fingers

Banned
Yeah Arcanist kinda got screwed with the skill points. You allocate for both scholar and summoner. Just put them in the one you plan to play at the end. If you change your mind you can respec though for 10K Grand Company seals.

They only cost 250 now, so switching is really easy.

Top Bottom