• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Effect

Fastest way will be to group up using PF and do N Than fates. It shouldn't take very long, especially right now that there's still some people lv'ing the new jobs.

Second best option would be dungeons but I'm not sure how bad the DPS queue times are right now at that lv. As for your dungeon hung up, I'd recommend you just get over it and if you can't maybe you should move on to other games. There's a lot of dungeons and boss fights ahead of you and most people in DF are in there for the exp or the bonus so you're gonna get grouped with a lot of speed runners. You can try stating that you're new and would like to experience the dungeon blind, but most people are overgeared for the 2.0 dungeons so even if they oblige you you might not get the experience you are looking for. If you really really don't want to watch videos or speed run youe only option is gonna be to find friends with the patience to do all dungeons like that for you or people new to the game who want to run it like that. Also DO NOT DF THE FIRST 2 LV 50 STORY DUNGEONS. They are long 8 man instances filled with cutscenes and are also in Main Scenario Roulette so you'll likely be grouped with people who do not want to be there and want to get it over with ASAP. Use PF or ask your FC to help you with a cutscene run, if you DF it you'll likely be locked out of most bosses while watching the cutscenes.

You are probably going to be out of luck on exploring a dungeon like you want. Even after your first run you will want it to go as fast as everyone else. The dungeons are 90% trash, and that is not fun for people to take their time on over and over again. My advice is to watch a quick guide to the dungeons so you know what the actual mechanics are for bosses. Then just run through the dungeon with them and if you want to explore you are free to run around in the cleared dungeon after the clear. Most of them are pretty linear though so there is not really much to explore.

Thanks. This gives me something to think about going forward.

suzu

Hey y'all, a friend just bought this game for me to try out, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for good newbie guides for an experienced MMO player(10 year WoW vet and FFXI xp as well). I'm mostly interested in understanding the different job play styles and how the sub job system works in this game, and I'd prefer to do some research before trying things out for myself.

Also, from what I understand, race means very little at end game. Is this correct?

Thanks. ^_^

This beginner's guide is a bit old but, it's still pretty relevant.
http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/tutorials/article/141-ffxiv-beginners-guide/

Other useful links.
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary_of_Icons
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Correct. Just pick a race you like looking at.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hey y'all, a friend just bought this game for me to try out, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for good newbie guides for an experienced MMO player(10 year WoW vet and FFXI xp as well). I'm mostly interested in understanding the different job play styles and how the sub job system works in this game, and I'd prefer to do some research before trying things out for myself.

Also, from what I understand, race means very little at end game. Is this correct?

Thanks. ^_^
You can see some basic info here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Classes
Search YouTube for rotations based on the info there to see what the job plays like at endgame (might be different now with all the new actions).

As for the job system, its currently half baked. Every character can switch to any other class while out of combat or dungeon by switching their main weapon. Once you reach lv 30 with a battle class you can unlock your end game job by leveling another class to lv 15. The crappy part is that currently the only class with multiple job options is Arcanist (DPS) which can go either Summoner (DPS) or Scholar (Healer). Every other battle class only has one job option that is pretty much the same as the base class such as Conjurer (Healer) - > White Mage (Healer) and Gladiator (Tank) -> Paladin (Tank). It's looking like they're moving away from the base class -> multiple job structure that Arcanist has cause the new jobs in the expansion don't even bother with classes, they're all jobs without base classes.

Race doesn't matter. There's some very small stat difference that doesn't matter most of the time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Anyone else having issues with the DX11 version crashing on launch? It was working just fine earlier, but now it won't and yes I even hit the "reset system settings."
Just to follow up on this, turns out it was a headset issue. I resolved it by switching default playback device to my speakers.

Teknoman

So what's the fastest way from 53-60? N than is getting pretty old.

Is this a second job or something? Because side quests, fates, hunts, dungeons, and main story quests should be more than enough the first time through, especially with rest exp + food bonus. I cant see someone trying to fate their way up to 60, having not done...well anything new.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So what's the fastest way from 53-60? N than is getting pretty old.
MSQ, Roulettes, Daily Hunts and side quests. Side quests are especially important, since some of them unlock Aether Currents and you really want to be able to fly when being done with the last MSQ in the zone.

Edit:
Unrelated, but I'm really not enjoying the amount of tornadoes in both Reap and Bismarck EX. BLM got Lines which require standing in one spot even more than usual, Enochian which often has a very short window for refreshing if you want to maximize DPS... And that all goes to hell during the dps check in Bismarck EX with all those tornadoes if you have bad luck.
/rant

A little over a week later, I completed the main scenario of Heavensward! \o/

HEAVENSWARD STORY SPOILERS! VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!

I love how the game incorporated mechanics, events, and plot threads that had been spread across all of A Realm Reborn, building upon everything that had come before. It was very surprising - in a good way - to see those Coil nods in the final main scenario dungeon. I went in totally blind so I had a blast running it and the final trial that ends the expansion's story (for now).

Kagari mentioned earlier, and I'll agree, that revelation regarding Tiamot and the essence of what Primals really are made me see everything in a new light. Especially Coil. The whole storyline involving all the dragons - Dravanian and Meracydian - is just tragic.

I don't even know what to think of the Warrior of Darkness stinger at the end. But, yay for Ishgard formally joining the Alliance!

Good, good stuff. It felt even more like classic Final Fantasy than 2.0 did at times. Can't wait to see where the rest of the 3.X series will take the game!

SRTtoZ

The ONLY thing I want in this game, ONLY, is visual procs. I hate having to stare at my skill bar for when I get firestorm or thundercloud procs. Please add a visual so I don't have to look down at some dotted line please. Thank you, Sincerely, Me.

The ONLY thing I want in this game, ONLY, is visual procs. I hate having to stare at my skill bar for when I get firestorm or thundercloud procs. Please add a visual so I don't have to look down at some dotted line please. Thank you, Sincerely, Me.

You see procs mid screen, at the same position you see damage numbers and heals, as they float down.

Did you turn those off somehow?

Move your status/buff bar where all the process icons sit lower or mid screen as well.

You see procs mid screen, at the same position you see damage numbers and heals, as they float down.

Did you turn those off somehow?

Move your status/buff bar where all the process icons sit lower or mid screen as well.

Those sometimes bug out and lag until the next skill you use though, which is kinda annoying. And you still need to watch hotbars for cooldowns, so it's not that great.

Azusa

I have started lvl 28 main quest "Skeletons in Her Closet" and so far I had a feeling that I'm reading some kind of filler quests. Minor local problems.

When the story become epic?

I have started lvl 28 main quest "Skeletons in Her Closet" and so far I had a feeling that I'm reading some kind of filler quests. Minor local problems.

It has a few decent bits, but mostly 45+, sadly a lot of the original main story is pretty garbage, and even the story in the 2.1-2.3 patches is pretty crap, for the most part. 2.4 is when they start having some direction, adding new characters and creating a bunch of new plots, then 2.5 and Heavensward is pretty solid the whole time.

Klyka

Banned

The story becomes good everytime it focuses around the primals and becomes "epic" once you get to the level 50 endgame story with the main scenarios and such.
Then during the patch story it has it's up and downs but focuses on taking down primals which is quite cool.
Then heavensward is pretty much at a high note most of the time.

Nohar

If that is the case, I guess I feel a little relieved. Still, the last few days has been like walking on a minefield. People cry wolf at everything that they consider a spoiler (including dungeon names and level, and even the ilvl of stuff for crying out loud!), and I almost had an argument with someone about what is a "good" or a "bad" spoiler (regarding actual spoilers). I remained calm on the FC chat and forum (especially because some members blew things out of proportion and created dramas, and I refuse to worsen this kind of headache), but the situation is getting to me nonetheless.

That being said, dungeon n°4 is fantastic. I really love the aesthetics.

there are DRKs having trouble establishing aggro, especially AoE aggro?

wtf

are they just like... not using Grit or Unleash?

how does that happen

Maybe single target opener. I'm sure a lot of DRK go like leap > dot > non threat chain which is terrible threat wise, so you can easily rip on pull. It's like WAR pulling with provoke then using fracture as first move and going into storm's eye combo or whatever.

MogCakes

ENDING SPOILERS:
WHOA I was not expecting our final opponents to be the Knights of the Round summon of all things. The way it all led up to that, and then to see them stand before you as the fight is about to begin, is spectacular. Also did not expect to see Lahabrea meet his end so unceremoniously.

I find it a bit odd when the Archbishop dies, he sees us as a dark silhouette. We are the warriors of light, no? That scene tells me something is amiss. Then there's the whole warrior of darkness thing....I'm curious about this new plot thread.

Maybe single target opener. I'm sure a lot of DRK go like leap > dot > non threat chain which is terrible threat wise, so you can easily rip on pull. It's like WAR pulling with provoke then using fracture as first move and going into storm's eye combo or whatever.
I really don't get the phenomenon of obsessing over DPS as DRK and WAR. Maximizing your efficiency through damage is great, but don't forget the entire fucking point of your class. A tank not pulling his weight damage wise is going to have a lot less impact than a tank stroking his epeen so hard that he drops aggro in an instant.

I've also noticed tanks that don't bother to apply their enmity chain to multiple mobs. It's necessary on PLD as AOE aggro can be a struggle, but I do it on DRK too.

Nohar

I'm really happy to have jumped ship from playing Bard to Summoner. I absolutly love the new spells. Just reached level 58 and unlocked Dreadwyrm Trans... This is paradise. The job is fun to play, we now have more options to do burst damage when needed, and it is probably the job which received the most (much needed) buffs thanks to Heavensward (food applies to pets; pets just need rear accuracy now; no more MP problem; etc).

Sayonara my Bard. The only reason I have to level it now is because my retainer can't level up unless I level up my Bard first.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I really don't get the phenomenon of obsessing over DPS as DRK and WAR. Maximizing your efficiency through damage is great, but don't forget the entire fucking point of your class. A tank not pulling his weight damage wise is going to have a lot less impact than a tank stroking his epeen so hard that he drops aggro in an instant.

I've also noticed tanks that don't bother to apply their enmity chain to multiple mobs. It's necessary on PLD as AOE aggro can be a struggle, but I do it on DRK too.

Aggro generation from ablities that multiply aggro gained scales off the damage. So if you land a buffed Butcher's Block it's gonna give you more enmity than if you just spammed the combo with disregard to how much damage you're doing. Tanks aren't completely incorrect to obsess with strength and damage.

Lagamorph

I'd forgotten how utterly moronic end-game MMO players can get.
A lower level player, likely new to the area and quite probably not even aware of the mark monsters, was riding past and in all likelihood accidentally aggro'd one of the high level marks and drew it away.
Christ, I've not seen online hate like that since Jimmy Saville was exposed. They called out the guy like he'd killed their families and raped the corpses.

It's only a game, get over it for crying out loud.

Of course, point out that they're being overly harsh and that hatred immediately shifts onto you. Apparently, saying someone might be newer or simply not aware of a part of the game that the game itself doesn't point out to you until you're high level enough is an "asinine blanket excuse". However crying "NINJA PULLING NOOB IDIOT!" is perfectly fine.

dcye

Yeah, people crying foul about hunts killing the game are off the mark. The people who can't handle missing a single A rank without wishing "ninja pullers go die" are the actual problem with the game. Grow the fuck up.

Nohar

That being said, we have some genuine ninja pullers among the player-base, and some are able to become quite crafty to be sure to not be called out. Quite recently, I saw a monster pulled by Selene (Silence ability). But yeah, the hate going on is absolutly insane, and people are very quick to blame someone who pulled "early".

I've never been a fan of hunts. I really wished they revamped that system. As of now, it isn't a fun activity. Even when you manage to get a full party and reach the monster in time, they die so quickly that it isn't guaranteed to get the full reward. And I'm not talking about the confusion caused by instances.
Short-term solution would be to increase the mark's HP I guess.

Se seems to have all these quality of life things they don't do for because of their servers. It's really strange.

Either it's true, or just the go-to excuse, because I remember for years, basically every QoL improvement people wanted in WoW that wasn't given was always excused with "It'd be too hard on the servers", like when people wanted a much bigger quest log.

artsi

I'd forgotten how utterly moronic end-game MMO players can get.
A lower level player, likely new to the area and quite probably not even aware of the mark monsters, was riding past and in all likelihood accidentally aggro'd one of the high level marks and drew it away.
Christ, I've not seen online hate like that since Jimmy Saville was exposed. They called out the guy like he'd killed their families and raped the corpses.

It's only a game, get over it for crying out loud.

Of course, point out that they're being overly harsh and that hatred immediately shifts onto you. Apparently, saying someone might be newer or simply not aware of a part of the game that the game itself doesn't point out to you until you're high level enough is an "asinine blanket excuse". However crying "NINJA PULLING NOOB IDIOT!" is perfectly fine.

I'm glad I don't see behaviour like this on Japanese servers, the difference of chat behaviour in general to EU / US is pretty shocking.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I had to give up on PVP earlier. I had one queue pop in the span of 3 hours. That's just pitiful.

Yea I have had the same thing happen far too often the PVP queues are ridiculous. I like the PvP I really think they should institute smaller matches as well as personal challenges to make it more accessible.

there are DRKs having trouble establishing aggro, especially AoE aggro?

wtf

are they just like... not using Grit or Unleash?

how does that happen

Most DRK I run into on the duty finder cant keep hate off of my SMN then they get pissed off when I tell them (Politely) Open with Unmend> Unleash > Hard >Spinning. Darkarts> Power. If you do that combo on a single target at the beginning of a fight there is almost no way to lose hate on that mob. If its a group Unmend> Unleash .Dark Arts> abyssal drain again that's massive aoe hate. Drks damaging combos do absolutely nothing for enmity generation and plunge is a joke of an opener Unmend causes much more enmity and can make unleash free.

Edited to add

That's generally the problem most DRK forget there tanks first. Spreading that single target around locks everything down.

Rising_Hei

I don't see how can DRKs have trouble with hate, they have it much easier for PLDs for example because their AOE hate generation escalateswith damage (unlike flash) and they have powerful attack + buffs

I think that there are lots of people playing the new jobs, many returners after a while, and it gives us the impressions that those jobs sucks because of it... like what happened with NIN, even tho NIN was over when they released it, there were lots of crappy NINs that did really bad DPS because the flock was playing NIN, i think that's the case with DRK too so you see lots of people sucking at it

Not like i don't see that DRK doesn't have PLD's dmg mitigation or WAR's DPS, but it is not that weak.

By the way the new hunts are a shame, yesterday i killed an A in sea of clouds with only 20-30 people around and it didn't even last 10 seconds, that's so damn wrong, doesn't SE know to escalate their VIT or something? like what Guild Wars 2 does :/

Don't blame it on the ninja pullers, SE are the ones at fault

ABOUT THE FINAL BOSS
That's probably being reused for Final Fantasy VII Reunion

General thoughts about FFXIV
They keep adding more restrictions to everything we can do.
Now i can't even use secondary classes with the roulettes to level up because they will only give me law thomes when i use my job lvl 60 (lol). It was already a pain in the ass that to get my zeta i could only use Paladin, i have nothing against Paladin but i also want to use other jobs to keep the game from being samey, and this doesn't help

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, people crying foul about hunts killing the game are off the mark. The people who can't handle missing a single A rank without wishing "ninja pullers go die" are the actual problem with the game. Grow the fuck up.

While technically true, it's not like the game can make people's personalities better, but it can be designed to minimize frustration and rage.

Klyka

Banned
I always thought the higher rank hunts would be like, little duty instances for you/a party to go into and kill them.

Guess not :(

Audioboxer

ESO is boring me, think I might come back and try FF14 again. Played it a little on PS3, and during the PS4 launch.

Not sure whether to hook my PS4 up to my monitor for a bit, or just go controller. Thinking of trying out healing if that makes a difference. Never played a healer in an MMO (not even during my WoW days).

Any advice?

Just got the game redownloaded and patched. Bought a 60 day time card as it can be purchased cheaper than a monthly sub via Square.

I'll play on my Arcanist for a bit then shoot an invite over for the GAF guild. I'm in the UK but playing on Ultros as most of GAF seem to be there.

Starting out with the controller as well, but I may shift to kb/m eventually.

Aeana

I made a little tool to help myself with daily hunt marks, because the stuff out there didn't really do what I wanted.

http://hunts.arcbolt.com/

The coordinates might need a bit of massaging, so let me know if you feel any of them are slightly off. But they should all be in generally the right place. And note that right now this just has the positions of the daily marks, not the weekly or A/S stuff. Hope someone else finds it useful.

Baleoce

Got BRD to 60, not quite done with the MSQ yet. I've just got to the very first level 60 dungeon. Might level SMN also. Managed to kill a level 59 mob at SMN50, but I literally threw everything and the kitchen sink at it..

Been doing hunt dailies because excalibur is just stressful when it comes to hunt marks. My internet is atrocious right now so it can't even handle what's going on.

I've started a bit of Miner and Botanist. Trying to get used to this new collectables mechanic. Fun fact, by the time I'd finished reading / understanding the in-game tooltip on the subject, the node depopped. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Flight has a nice relaxing side effect on gathering. It's pretty chill. Flight is just enjoyable in general.

MSQ is pretty good this time around, and i'm generally a cutscene skipper, but enough things caught my eye to keep me watching.

WolvenOne

Sigh. It's going to take forever to get my law gear with how long the queue for the lvl 60/expert dungeons are

I can only guess that most players are still leveling up, since it's generally faster for me to get into low level roulettes. Usually takes me to The Aery or The Vault.

Should start easing up over the next few days.

Top Bottom