• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

StarVigil

Alright, I'm in. Not very keen on playing another MMORPG, but the more I see of the game, the more I wanna play it. So that's what I'm gonna do.
I applied for the GAF FC, since I'm on Ultros, but I can't yet apply ingame yet, because of the Trial time I wanna use.
Just need to decide between the standard version or the CE.

Finally hit 60, that final story dungeon and fight were too good, even better than the finale to Praetorium. Now time to get my item level up so I can do the endgame dungeons and prepare for Alexander (And hopefully find a group)

Jarate

Banned
What's the best DPS tracker for FF14 right now, im trying to find a good one because I swear I out DPS others as MT most of the time.

Also, what's the fastest way to level alt classes for this expac, I want to get Pally to 60 after Dank Knight but sidequests are gonna be gone, are leves the best way?

scosher

What's the best DPS tracker for FF14 right now, im trying to find a good one because I swear I out DPS others as MT most of the time.

Also, what's the fastest way to level alt classes for this expac, I want to get Pally to 60 after Dank Knight but sidequests are gonna be gone, are leves the best way?

ACT - Advanced Combat Tracker with FF14 plugin is best imo. Lot of Overlay plugins to see in-game as well.

FATE farming and Dungeons are still the best to level. Not sure about 51-60 though. Leves may be better there, and daily hunts give good quick xp (pretty much the replacement to hunting logs I feel for 51-60).

Audioboxer

So I've been playing the trial after peeking my head in this thread the past week or so. I obviously can't see anything end gamey yet (lvl9) but I'm wondering, is the a fun game to travel through with some friends? Will we have raids/dungeons to look forward to like in wow? I made it to around 90 in WoW, for reference

I've just hit level 10 and have been going solo. Just joined the GAF guild though.

Having fun, but a little overwhelmed as there is soo much to do! Navigating around on a PS4 isn't anywhere near as easy as my time with WoW on a PC, but I'm learning quick. Time for bed though -_-

...its gonna take a while to be able to get a character on ultros isn't it? Any idea on how long it might take? Or do I just need to get lucky or what?

Lawd.
This grind from 55→56 is oppressive.
Of course now that I've unlocked flight in W Coerthas, Drav Hinterlands, and Mist, I'm just FATE spammin'

Aselith

Lawd.
This grind from 55→56 is oppressive.
Of course now that I've unlocked flight in W Coerthas, Drav Hinterlands, and Mist, I'm just FATE spammin'

Why in the world are you doing fates? Go run dungeons. You get the same xp killing like 5 mobs in a dungeon that you do from a fate lmao

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Trying to watch CEO at the same time.
Don't want to have to think, lol
Doing sidequests, joining fates when one popped near while waiting for the next dungeon to come up wasn't so bad for me. Leves give decent xp too and don't forget about daily hunts which are basically free xp if you can fly.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
...its gonna take a while to be able to get a character on ultros isn't it? Any idea on how long it might take? Or do I just need to get lucky or what?
Select another server, create your character, save the appearance, wake up early tomorrow morning, select Ultros, remake the character by loading the appearance, name it, confirm, go back to bed.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
So I just started playing and I just got my White Mage stone. I hear that interface addons aren't as popular (or even allowed?) in this game as they are in WoW. Is this true? Because back in my WoW days I used to have an addon that let me have all of my heals bound to my mouse and had macros that let me cast without targeting first. Is this possible in FFXIV?

Also, hi, I am a scrub on Faerie (NA) and don't have any friends.

So I just started playing and I just got my White Mage stone. I hear that interface addons aren't as popular (or even allowed?) in this game as they are in WoW. Is this true? Because back in my WoW days I used to have an addon that let me have all of my heals bound to my mouse and had macros that let me cast without targeting first. Is this possible in FFXIV?

Also, hi, I am a scrub on Faerie (NA) and don't have any friends.

there are no addons like that. but there is mouse over targeting. Where if you hover over the party member's name it acts like you are targeting them. Not sure if that's what you mean

Tabris

I dunno what you guys are doing different but I experienced 0 grind.

I would just do all the side quests available and run a dungeon once. It wasn't until 57 I ran a dungeon more than once (The Vault and The Library) and that caused me to have plenty of side quests still available in the level 59 range when I hit 60 (My Aryz Lla is just full of quest icons).

Those side quests also gear you up at each level.

I said I was going to take some screenshots so here we go.

First up is my character in the new level 50 Ninja garb. I like this better than the Ninja AF armor.

CIogRjIWcAAnXWL.jpg:large

CIogMVPWUAE4jOX.jpg:large

And then here's Soul Flarz and I building our camaraderie by the fireplace!

CIogGnOWsAAOp2S.jpg:large

CIofpwVWUAIpoIx.jpg:large

YES DPS DPS DPS.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
there are no addons like that. but there is mouse over targeting. Where if you hover over the party member's name it acts like you are targeting them. Not sure if that's what you mean

Yesss! That's exactly what I mean. Is that done via macros or in the game options? Or somewhere else?

And by the addon I mean that I would have, let's say, Cure I bound to my right mouse button so all I needed to do was right click on the party member's name to start casting it? So I take it that binding to the mouse instead of the keyboard isn't possible here? Or at least, if it is, I'm too dumb to find it in the options pane.

squadr0n

I'm a level 48 Paladin (edit) at the moment and haven't played since I downloaded the update for Heavensward. How is the rebalanced xp for the story quests leading up to the new content, should I be able to run through just the story stuff to get there or will it still take me awhile?

I really want to hit 50 to get that xp bonus and hopefully get the Dark Knight class but this grind getting there was really putting me off.

Squishy3

I dunno what you guys are doing different but I experienced 0 grind.

I would just do all the side quests available and run a dungeon once. It wasn't until 57 I ran a dungeon more than once (The Vault and The Library) and that caused me to have plenty of side quests still available in the level 59 range when I hit 60 (My Aryz Lla is just full of quest icons).

Those side quests also gear you up at each level.
I only ever hit a wall at 57-58, but by the time I ran out of sidequests and had done my daily hunts I just needed to run the Aery once. Seriously people, do your daily hunts as soon as you unlock them at 52.

That's roughly 115k for the first stack of bills, then you unlock the next batch at 52 which adds even more exp, and then you unlock level 2 and level 3 at 56 and 59. That's a lot of EXP a day for relatively little effort (especially after unlocking flying in all zones) and it seriously adds up, in addition to giving you a stockpile of centurio seals.

Also did Neverreap. Guess I can chalk that off as "Never doing it again unless it pops up in roulette."

...Didn't help the MCH didn't listen to the explanation and promptly got knocked off at the beginning of the last fight leaving me to DPS down the boss for 3/4 of his health by myself.

Aselith

I'm a level 48 Gladiator at the moment and haven't played since I downloaded the update for Heavensward. How is the rebalanced xp for the story quests leading up to the new content, should I be able to run through just the story stuff to get there or will it still take me awhile?

wtf go make an advanced class!

Yesss! That's exactly what I mean. Is that done via macros or in the game options? Or somewhere else?

And by the addon I mean that I would have, let's say, Cure I bound to my right mouse button so all I needed to do was right click on the party member's name to start casting it? So I take it that binding to the mouse instead of the keyboard isn't possible here? Or at least, if it is, I'm too dumb to find it in the options pane.

mouse over is a game option you can set. Im not sure where since I havent used it. The second question would be related to the mouse over again. I believe you can rebind mouse 1 and 2 but I'm not exactly sure if those two are specific binds that are inherent to the game. You can check the keybind setting in the options menu. Like my mouse has 4 extra buttons and I use those for skills

A ranks are faarr too weak, pluss people act like they cant wait for everyone to get there.

nobody's going to wait anymore after a GM explicitly said that pulling early wasnt an offense in any nature a while back

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
mouse over is a game option you can set. Im not sure where since I havent used it. The second question would be related to the mouse over again. I believe you can rebind mouse 1 and 2 but I'm not exactly sure if those two are specific binds that are inherent to the game. You can check the keybind setting in the options menu. Like my mouse has 4 extra buttons and I use those for skills

Perfect, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know because I have a bunch of extra mouse buttons too. I guess I'll start picking around more carefully in the options menus to try to figure it out.

Thanks again.

squadr0n

wtf go make an advanced class!
I'm a lvl 48 Pali, my bad. Im at the quest where you try out your Magitek. I've got a lvl 38 Nin also but stopped playing when I heard they were going to rebalance the story quest xp too speed up leveling till the new content.

Just wonder how long would it take to get there now after the update?

Man, these new jobs are REALLY not for everyone. Ran Haukke last night as DRK to get a feel for it after running all of the dungeons up to it in succession and

AST doesn't cast Protect "my Conjurer is level 2
LNC casts protect, doesn't have any offensive buffs equipped, just cure and protect
MCH doesn't use Hot Shot, either reload, no Raging Strikes, no Blood for Blood...

I ran as MCH after that to see if the damage is as abysmal as people say and I think it comes down to people just not understanding the properties of the job and the skills, and the game itself being relatively easy so that having one or two duds in your party won't hobble you too bad and you get people in full bahamut gear who can't avoid AoE and don't have support skills that you get in single digits.

Aselith

I'm a lvl 48 Pali, my bad. Im at the quest where you try out your Magitek. I've got a lvl 38 Nin also but stopped playing when I heard they were going to rebalance the xp too speed up leveling till the new content.

Just wonder how long would it take to get there now after the update?

Oh I don't think too long just go do all the quests you can find and run dungeons and do your roulettes I would think it'll take a week at most of very casual play.

Arkeband

Banned
Man, these new jobs are REALLY not for everyone. Ran Haukke last night as DRK to get a feel for it after running all of the dungeons up to it in succession and

AST doesn't cast Protect "my Conjurer is level 2
LNC casts protect, doesn't have any offensive buffs equipped, just cure and protect
MCH doesn't use Hot Shot, either reload, no Raging Strikes, no Blood for Blood...

I ran as MCH after that to see if the damage is as abysmal as people say and I think it comes down to people just not understanding the properties of the job and the skills, and the game itself being relatively easy so that having one or two duds in your party won't hobble you too bad and you get people in full bahamut gear who can't avoid AoE and don't have support skills that you get in single digits.

This is why they apparently have said they're tuning new dungeons/raids to not factor in things like healer dps, to excuse the casual players who like to stand there for 10 seconds waiting for someone to get hurt because 'dps'ing isn't my role'...

This is why they apparently have said they're tuning new dungeons/raids to not factor in things like healer dps, to excuse the casual players who like to stand there for 10 seconds waiting for someone to get hurt because 'dps'ing isn't my role'...

Right? Like I understand if it's your first time running a dungeon, especially higher level ones, but at least hit the mob with Aero lol

Damn my Lala looks awesome in every cutscene. Finally hit level 58 AST and I'm a third of the way through it. PROGRESS!

Also Collective Unconscious is also a better skill than I first thought. Its very situation but it works perfectly in times that you know big damage is coming or having to deal with damage being inflicted over time.

creid

I made a little tool to help myself with daily hunt marks, because the stuff out there didn't really do what I wanted.

http://hunts.arcbolt.com/

The coordinates might need a bit of massaging, so let me know if you feel any of them are slightly off. But they should all be in generally the right place. And note that right now this just has the positions of the daily marks, not the weekly or A/S stuff. Hope someone else finds it useful.
Wow, thanks. I had started keeping notes for myself on the ones that are labeled wrong, but this should be much easier.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I made a little tool to help myself with daily hunt marks, because the stuff out there didn't really do what I wanted.

http://hunts.arcbolt.com/

The coordinates might need a bit of massaging, so let me know if you feel any of them are slightly off. But they should all be in generally the right place. And note that right now this just has the positions of the daily marks, not the weekly or A/S stuff. Hope someone else finds it useful.
Thanks a lot for this. Opening the inventory and rechecking coordinates multiple times was a huge pain.

iammeiam

So after hitting 60 and running Machinist through some stuff...

- Gauss Barrel is everything Minuet should have been, and isn't

- The damage delta is probably real but is much smaller between support classes in real-world applications than panicking Reddit people and people who just mindlessly regurgitate Reddit rhetoric would have you think. That one bad DF run you had with a Machinist is probably more about the player and less about the job being a lost cause.

- Turrets are fucking amazing

- I cannot stress enough how much Machinist benefits from its pseudo BLM-stance having an actual thought process behind it. Fights that were just a nonstop exercise in frustration on Minuet Bard are manageable and plannable on MCH.

I do think the class could use a potency buff and a slight reduction on the CDs for Reload and Quick Reload, but I don't think MCH in its current state is as broken as Bard in its current state is. More to the point, in actual content MCH can apparently hold its own with Bard so far (please note I'm not speaking for theoretical edge case perfect bards, so much as the 90% of bards you're likely to actually encounter), so it's a viable alternative as a support class. It's just one that is better thought-out currently and is a hell of a lot more fun to play. There's a reason a bunch of bards you run into in DF just flat out never touch Minuet.

So, yeah, Machinist has problems, but it is not a fundamentally broken job. Both it and Bard need some work, but Machinist needs much less to be worth using the full toolkit for.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Quick question, if I buy the physical copy of the expansion, but own the digital base game, is that going to cause me any problems? (can get the xpac cheaper physical)

Top Bottom